SO tired of hearing it

brownbs
School: Appalachian State

SO tired of hearing it

Unread post by brownbs » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:51 am

Ok so I know that the majority of you all will just tell me to ignore the people who are not real fans but I am just so tired of hearing it from current students. Since moving back to blowing rock this past summer, everyone is just sounding like a bunch of cry babies when it comes to football this coming year. Oh we sucked last year and we are gonna just be so terrible this year and all of the years to come, "what is the point anymore?"

I would never argue that last season was a disappointment but I just ask that all of us real fans out there continue to fight and approach each season with a new sense of enthusiasm for each new year. And when people say oh we arent just not the same since the championship years and are just sucking now that we remind them of the years before and after as our teams continued to fight hard for every single victory. So when the bandwagoners out there try to point out how we are just gonna fall apart and Appalachian State football is just gonna fall off the place of the planet, that we continue to argue and prove them wrong. We go into each game and play for the "A" across our chest and our brothers. These next few years are not gonna be easy but I will never sit and listen to the naysayers put our team and our school down based on their limited perspective of Appalachian football. if you wanna be part of a bandwagon then get out of Kidd Brewer stadium because we do not need you there.

Sorry for my rant just tired of these so called "fans" putting our team down, and ask that all of us who really care continue to show support for our guys each and every saturday.

wataugan03

Re: SO tired of hearing it

Unread post by wataugan03 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:18 am

I'm hesitant to embrace a line of thinking that dismisses current students as not true fans. They are literally the only reason the institution exists.

Beyond that, some people look at the state of our athletics, our funding, our likely future sources of funding and just don't think we're going to have sustained success in FBS. That doesn't mean they aren't real fans or that they are bandwagoners; it certainly shouldn't mean we don't want them to show up on Saturday. Everyone who believes in Appalachian State is on the same side. We need to respect internal disagreements and at least be civil.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:18 am

I think that every school, including the Alabamas of the world, have a percentage of the student body who only attend games for the social aspects, they really don't care about watching the game, just having good time, and that's fine, I would rather have them there for that reason, than not having them there at all. As far as fans complaining or having unrealistic expectations, again, I would rather have them complaining and atleast talking and showing interest in the program, than having no interest at all. I think this season we are going to find out who the true fans are, I think our starters are as talented as anyone else in the SBC, but I cant believe how tough our schedule is, we play the two top teams, back to back at their places, in a 5 DAY SPAND, going to be tough to win 5 games, on the other hand Georgia Southern has a much easier schedule, and should be a lock for 5, 6 maybe even 7 wins.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:52 am

I've met people throughout my life who have graduated from big time college programs and never even attended 1 football game in 4 years as a student. Yes, I'm blown away by that.

Also, I will say, for the record, there are a lot of locals in Boone who are poo pooing everything from last years record to the move up.

I can throw this stone because my wife is from Boone and my step father is a multi-generation Watauga County native - which as a result had myself and siblings living in Boone during and after my tenure at ASU. Every time we come up for a game and then hang out with locals, it's the same old song and dance. Quite frankly, I'm tired of it.

Tomorrow is a new day for App State, and I for one am pumped.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:33 am

brownbs wrote: if you wanna be part of a bandwagon then get out of Kidd Brewer stadium because we do not need you there.
Great recipe for a half-empty stadium every Saturday. App needs every fan we can get. If we're going to expand the stadium to 40,000 capacity like many here want, we better get a lot more fans to jump on the bandwagon.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:37 am

EastHallApp wrote:
brownbs wrote: if you wanna be part of a bandwagon then get out of Kidd Brewer stadium because we do not need you there.
Great recipe for a half-empty stadium every Saturday. App needs every fan we can get. If we're going to expand the stadium to 40,000 capacity like many here want, we better get a lot more fans to jump on the bandwagon.
Yep. Send us your poor -- your huddled masses.

I feel the same way about the Panthers.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:40 am

The poo poorers will be the first to enjoy the economic benefit of 25,000 attendees on game day and the band wagoners ergo camp followers are a distraction but part of the fabric at every college. You have to be successful to have them! I used to let all of this bother me. The distractions of a move, the vitriol toward Cobb Capel, parking, student fees, Jamie Price, and the list goes on....frankly Margaret I don't give a damn... I've seen progress in all areas of the University including athletics since my Freshman year in 1970 and I'm pleased and proud. The only irritation I have is those who have the need for instant gratification and success in athletics and those who blame athletics for education fundingand the demise of a university. You can't talk intelligently to the Right or Left on this therefore I just choose to look forward to this next year. We will be just fine. Sixtoes, just smile and keep on walking.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:41 am

The level of success the App football team has had over the last decade was unbelievable and has left us with a spoiled fan base. Last year was not a good year and couldn't have come at a worse time as it was the year prior to the move up. That said, at least we have fans and I witnessed the students still leading the way in cheering at the stadium even in the bad times last year. It's human nature, it's bandwagon effect, it's normal. Come live in Atlanta if you want to experience REAL bandwagon fans and listen to the comments about the Falcons and Braves every year and if the Hawks get mentioned at all.

It's just human nature when it comes to sports.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:48 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:Also, I will say, for the record, there are a lot of locals in Boone who are poo pooing everything from last years record to the move up.
And, there are a lot of locals looking forward to the move up.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:58 am

Think a lot of that goes back to the general feeling that, particularly the first half of last year,the coaching staff didn't seem to know what they were doing last year according to comments said. Playing a QB that the fans seemed to believe should not be in the game, and either not making adjustments at half time or making poor ones. Which I think is partially a bunch of bull, but still hear it from a couple of students. Kind of like they lost faith in them.

Just hope we do not redshirt everyone and their brother this year. We need to win football games to get some lost confidence back. Would hopefully help recruiting also.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!
==========================================================================

Unread post by 8993 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:05 am

To say that the current students are not true fans is one thing. To say that the current students are concerned for what's ahead is another thing.

Will this year be difficult for Appalachian State? Absolutely. We are not only facing new teams that we have never met before, but we are also ushering in a new chancellor that will do things in a completely new way. The 2014-2015 year is the start of a new chapter in Appalachian's book.

While every school will have its doubters, I do believe that the current students are just as true fans of Appalachian State as each of us is. If they weren't, you would not see them gather at the gate in hoards to get into the stadium just as soon as they can, only to wait around for two hours until kickoff. That's dedication, in my opinion. We cannot discredit the entire student body because of what a few have said. More than likely, those few are the ones that attended the warm weather games and watched Netflix when the cold weather games rolled around.

This university needs us now more than ever before. They need our support and our dedication through all of these changes. Let's stand by our student body the same way they, and we, stand by Appalachian State.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:32 am

Fans come in all flavors just as those of us on this message board. I don't expect the level of fandom from others that I expect of myself. I can't think of a single game I've left before 0:00. It's just not how I operate. I understand, particularly now that I have a very young grandchild coming to games, that 0:00 isn't an option for some for various reasons (most of which are none of my business in the first place).

I'm happy for all the fan support we have. Our students, past and present, attend football games in fine fashion. We average 8500 students per game. The Student Yosef Club continues to grow and support all 20 App State varsity sports. Students who support the school will, hopefully, become alumni who support the school both physically and fiscally.

So ... I'll take the first half fan, the non-Yosef fan, the Chancellor's Box fan and make an effort to treat all of them as true fans of Appalachian. The passion I have for Appalachian State University and its athletics program has grown over the 9 years since I was adopted into the family. Why wouldn't I expect others to do the same as they learn more and more about Appalachian?

We're certain to see some tough days ahead; that's just part of life. Go App!

Join Yosef http://www.appstatesports.com/ViewArtic ... =209372206
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:07 pm

GoApps70 wrote:Think a lot of that goes back to the general feeling that, particularly the first half of last year,the coaching staff didn't seem to know what they were doing last year according to comments said. Playing a QB that the fans seemed to believe should not be in the game, and either not making adjustments at half time or making poor ones. Which I think is partially a bunch of bull, but still hear it from a couple of students. Kind of like they lost faith in them.

Just hope we do not redshirt everyone and their brother this year. We need to win football games to get some lost confidence back. Would hopefully help recruiting also.
IMO, last years "situation" and any "situation" we have this year will be because of the QB position.

Last year we went into the season with a FCS Pre-season All-American ****COMING OFF ACL surgery*****. The back-up was also coming off ACL surgery. After that, unless we were going to play a true Freshman the cupboard was bare.

....I say that to say this....Although Kam (and I like how he played the last 1/3 of the season)...played well the last 1/3 of the season I am not convinced yet that we have QB situation "fixed". I think Kam deserves a shot but I am ready to pull the plug ASAN.... I saw Scott's last game (bowl game) at FIU with a QB that could not play...and the commentators said then that their conversations with the OC that week was that they would never be in that situation again. That is why we see us "going" after QB's. You can never have too many and in our offense you need several! The leash will be short on all of them.....until we find the one who can play.

Kam-Solid passer, not much of a run threat, no deep arm (YET), KNOWS offense.
Lamb--Better arm, can run, and looks to have a better deep arm. Never taken a collegiate snap.
Caruso--Brownie type arm, believes he can throw it anywhere, into anything. tough looking kid in spring game. NO IDEA if he is a game QB. No collegiate snaps.

I'd say the QB possession is in the same boat as last year! Lots of ?????????'s
Go APPS!

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:26 pm

Kam will be the starting QB when we kick off in Ann Arbor. Wouldn't be surprised, though if we see Lamb or Caruso as the starting QB before October 1.

I don't think Kam will be rattled though in Ann Arbor. He handled the stage pretty well at Georgia.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:19 pm

"Kam-Solid passer, not much of a run threat, no deep arm (YET), KNOWS offense.
Lamb--Better arm, can run, and looks to have a better deep arm. Never taken a collegiate snap.
Caruso--Brownie type arm, believes he can throw it anywhere, into anything. tough looking kid in spring game. NO IDEA if he is a game QB. No collegiate snaps.

I'd say the QB possession is in the same boat as last year! Lots of ?????????'s"

I have to disagree here - Kam had a solid year - check his numbers --- he was very good at UGA especially in the first half - he made few mistakes during the season and a couple of turnovers charged to him were not his fault --- I feel sure he will be the starter and stay there unless something unforeseen happens ---
I'm really not sure how you, me or anyone else on this board can adequately gauge the other 2 QBs who have never played in a college game --- Have we all forgotten those who thought Kalik Barnes should have been our QB :o
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:30 pm

SpeedkingATL wrote:The level of success the App football team has had over the last decade was unbelievable and has left us with a spoiled fan base. Last year was not a good year and couldn't have come at a worse time as it was the year prior to the move up. That said, at least we have fans and I witnessed the students still leading the way in cheering at the stadium even in the bad times last year. It's human nature, it's bandwagon effect, it's normal. Come live in Atlanta if you want to experience REAL bandwagon fans and listen to the comments about the Falcons and Braves every year and if the Hawks get mentioned at all.

I think fans (me included from time to time) forget that the team we watched in the first 6 games was a different team from the last 5 games. The competitiveness, effort, confidence, was absolutely much better by the end of the season. Had the team played that way all season the record would not have been 4-8.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:58 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:"Kam-Solid passer, not much of a run threat, no deep arm (YET), KNOWS offense.

I'd say the QB possession is in the same boat as last year! Lots of ?????????'s"

I have to disagree here - Kam had a solid year - check his numbers --- he was very good at UGA especially in the first half - he made few mistakes during the season and a couple of turnovers charged to him were not his fault --- I feel sure he will be the starter and stay there unless something unforeseen happens ---
I'm really not sure how you, me or anyone else on this board can adequately gauge the other 2 QBs who have never played in a college game --- Have we all forgotten those who thought Kalik Barnes should have been our QB :o

WE CAN'T gauge the other two quarterbacks. (I thought I made that point) That is the whole problem. WE (coaching staff) was in a situation at QB where there were NO other choices unless you wanted to burn a redshirt on a year that was not where anyone wanted it. WE misjudged Jamal's comeback and then did not prepare Kam well for the early entry. THEN we also did not know the effect of Kam's ACL injury which in MY contention led to his early struggles.

I saw Barnes play and immediately thought we needed to find him another position.

I hope Kam has a fantastic year! Why would I not. But if we call the "diminished" offense we ran "and won with some" solid....then I can't wait to see your reaction this fall. There are No The Citadel's, Furman, Elon's, or the like in our conference schedule. I hope they are, but they have to be lot's better than last year or we are in trouble! (the QB's)
Go APPS!

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:03 pm

scatman77 wrote:
SpeedkingATL wrote:The level of success the App football team has had over the last decade was unbelievable and has left us with a spoiled fan base. Last year was not a good year and couldn't have come at a worse time as it was the year prior to the move up. That said, at least we have fans and I witnessed the students still leading the way in cheering at the stadium even in the bad times last year. It's human nature, it's bandwagon effect, it's normal. Come live in Atlanta if you want to experience REAL bandwagon fans and listen to the comments about the Falcons and Braves every year and if the Hawks get mentioned at all.

I think fans (me included from time to time) forget that the team we watched in the first 6 games was a different team from the last 5 games. The competitiveness, effort, confidence, was absolutely much better by the end of the season. Had the team played that way all season the record would not have been 4-8.
I agree Mike! The issue I have is that The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly ALLLLLLL come back to the person taking the snaps.

The last five games we were decent....but were decent with a QB who did not or could not have a down field threat. I think we can be fine.....We just can't go into another season thinking that we are OK at QB ever!
Go APPS!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:15 pm

asutrnr81 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:"Kam-Solid passer, not much of a run threat, no deep arm (YET), KNOWS offense.

WE CAN'T gauge the other two quarterbacks. (I thought I made that point) That is the whole problem. WE (coaching staff) was in a situation at QB where there were NO other choices unless you wanted to burn a redshirt on a year that was not where anyone wanted it. WE misjudged Jamal's comeback and then did not prepare Kam well for the early entry. THEN we also did not know the effect of Kam's ACL injury which in MY contention led to his early struggles.

I saw Barnes play and immediately thought we needed to find him another position.

I hope Kam has a fantastic year! Why would I not. But if we call the "diminished" offense we ran "and won with some" solid....then I can't wait to see your reaction this fall. There are No The Citadel's, Furman, Elon's, or the like in our conference schedule. I hope they are, but they have to be lot's better than last year or we are in trouble! (the QB's)
I don't quite understand your response? - I would understand if your question was to whom would be the back-up QB, because we haven't seen either one play in a college game but it sounds as if you think Kam had a questionably non-productive year? - That's where I think you are wrong ---
Last edited by WVAPPeer on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:46 pm

The issues we faced in the first seven games of last season were varied and complex. To pin our poor start on the play of our quarterbacks (especially Kam), in my opinion, is far too simplistic.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”