Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Recruiting, 2014

AppGrad78
School: Appalachian State

Recruiting, 2014

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:49 pm

While we're awaiting the restoration of the old recruiting thread, there is good news to report.

OL Chandler Greer (6-5, 275) of Bearden HIgh School in Knoxville, Tenn., says in a tweet that he has committed to Appalachian State. This kid sounds like a quality individual on and off the field (he prefaced his tweet by saying "This next Tweet is for Gods Glory." Welcome to the family, Chandler.
Last edited by AppGrad78 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3rd

Re: Recruiting, 2014

Unread post by 3rd » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:29 pm

also saw WR/TE Rashad Canty said on twitter he committed also "I am officially committed to APPALACHIAN STATE . I wanna PLAY AT THE ROCK !! #Appstate #mountaineers" Hes 6'4" 210

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Excellent news. I'm told more good news is possible this weekend.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:25 pm

My internet was out again. I just got it back and am updating the page in a few minutes. 78', can you change the the title of this thread to Temporary Recruiting, 2014 or something like that just in case Yosef is able to recover the old thread. We can't have two of the same name....Thanks

firemoose

Re: Recruiting, 2014 (temporary)

Unread post by firemoose » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:57 pm

Thanks 78'

The two new commits have been moved to the Commits section and I have also updated Deltron Hopkins to show he is now rated a 2 star by Rivals.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Yosef is working hard to restore our original 2014 recruiting thread. Hopefully we'll hear some good news on it soon.

Also wanted to let everyone know I am having major issues with Charter internet in my area. With my background it's obvious what the problem is (too many people, not enough bandwidth). Our service has been dropping out every evening between 5 and 7 and doesn't come back until around midnight. Weekends it's early afternoon. I've checked with many of my neighbours and they are having the same problem and even Charter Tech Support sees the signal oscillations happening but say they can't call for a line tech, only a local tech can. Problem is I am surrounded by older folks who, when they can't get online, leave it alone and go do something else. Not enough have called, yet. I am working on that and hopefully will get some help soon. I'm telling everyone this so you'll know that I might be late picking up an offer or commit if it happens during this time frame but I will get it up as soon as I can. Sorry for the delay.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:44 pm

While we've got this temp thread going I might as well add the two players I was trying to the night I found the thread missing.

From twitter and internet reports I have added two players to the main page and put up player pages for them.

QB Emiere Scaife (6′ 2″ 200) of Mallard Creek High School in Charlotte, NC is listed in the Committed Elsewhere section as he committed the Georgia State the day before we offered him. Things can change though as he is showing a scheduled visit here on July 2nd. We'll see what happens. He has the offers from us and Ga. St and had camped at UNC on the 15th.

Also added JUCO LB LeGrande Harley (6′ 1″ 230) of Georgia Military College in Milledgeville, GA to the Unconfirmed section. He is showing additional offers from Arizona State, Ga. St, Jacksonville St, South Alabama, Southern Miss and WVU.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:01 pm

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:56 pm

A little concerned we are picking up guys with mostly FCS offers. I know, I know... Edwards Lynch, Murrell, Hunter and others were not exactly FBS targets. I'm somewhat bewildered after all the talk by the staff of going after high profile recruits.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:37 pm

The latest two had offers from Sun Belt and/or UNCC.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:25 am

Kgfish wrote:A little concerned we are picking up guys with mostly FCS offers. I know, I know... Edwards Lynch, Murrell, Hunter and others were not exactly FBS targets. I'm somewhat bewildered after all the talk by the staff of going after high profile recruits.
I get your point, but realistically we aren't going to start stealing 4 star recruits right off the bat. I think the main difference in our recruiting for the next few years will be the depth. Just my opinion, but I think the top of our recruiting classes have been "FBS caliber talent" for a while but we have back filled a lot using preferred walk-ons (although very effectively). The advantage now is that we can get more of the first category with the extra scholarships. Depth is the main issue in moving to the Sun Belt so hopefully we are addressing that.

Yes, I would like to see more "high profile" athletes, but I'm looking at the WR corps we have now, and the recruits signing and I'm thinking that we are set at that position for a long time. Maybe some will move over to DB, but the possibilities are mind blowing. I just hope we have a QB who can deliver the ball! (I'm cautiously optimistic about what we have in the pipeline right now at QB after Jackson graduates).

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:29 am

Kgfish wrote:A little concerned we are picking up guys with mostly FCS offers. I know, I know... Edwards Lynch, Murrell, Hunter and others were not exactly FBS targets. I'm somewhat bewildered after all the talk by the staff of going after high profile recruits.
Have to agree with the other poster. I don't see a huge upswing in talent but in depth. The staff may be able to steal a few better players per year but overall it will be more of the same type first string talent. I think the last several years of NFL draft picks prove the program has brought in talent. FCS schools land some good players and with all the new FBS programs, I see the Socon and OVC taking a hit. Now the likes of Mellette, Skrine, Steed etc. will end up at App, GaSt, GSU and UNCC.

I see the program having 2-3 Quick/Price type wideouts, 4-5 slots similar to Peacock/Wasington, 4-5 Blair/Robinson type DEs. If I ventured a guess to the biggest upswing in talent by position in no particular order it would be: QB, RB OL and DT.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:06 am

After 3-4 years of recruiting players and adding depth players like Blair and Peacock will be starting as juniors not as sophomores and freshman giving them time to get better.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:28 am

Saint3333 wrote:The latest two had offers from Sun Belt and/or UNCC.
Canty - Ga State
Greer - Charlotte, UTC, UT Martin, Austin Peay
Hopkins - Hawaii
Stringer - Alcorn, Presbyterian
Wells - No other offers

No realistic person expected us to start hauling in highly recruited guys right off the bat. I don't put a lot of weight in these recruiting sites and their stars. I know a few of those guys I'm not so sure they know as much about football as I do. Basketball is another story! I put a great deal of stock in who else offers players. Only saying we can not compete successfully in FBS with FCS level talent.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:16 am

Canty also shows an offer from South Alabama.

Wells is a top 10 kicker in the nation by a well respected site, while no offers he is the biggest "steal" so far.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:15 pm

Guys...It's still June (for one more day)....Things are going to change a lot between now and Feb. The guys committing everywhere now are mostly saying it's because their dream school offered. And the reason Wells didn't have any offers is he shut his recruiting down. He was a kicker visiting BCS schools. We have plenty of recruits who have multiple FBS offers that we are in their Top 5 or better, by their own words. If we're still seeing this in Nov and Dec then I'll think a little more about it. Each person we have accepted a commit from right now fills a role or has something we're looking for. We've also delayed a commit from a pretty good CB until we see what else happens. Most guys on our board are saying they are coming to one of our games this fall. As I said if it's still like this come Christmas then I'll worry a bit but for now I believe we'll see the levels come up as we get closer to the end of the year.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Thank you, Firemoose! Very well said. It is VERY early in the game. In previous years, we have shown ZERO activity at this point. We have as many verbals right now as we have usually had in November (yes, it's a "guesstimate"). Maybe part of it is the great job being done by Firemoose and others in getting this information posted on MMB. I don't remember EVER having this amount of information about recruiting and that includes the time I was subscribed to Mountaineer Illustrated.

I don't claim to be an expert, and I can't say with authority that we're exactly where we want to be, but from my perspective, it feels good and I'm enjoying the ride.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:18 pm

firemoose wrote:Also added JUCO LB LeGrande Harley (6′ 1″ 230) of Georgia Military College in Milledgeville, GA to the Unconfirmed section. He is showing additional offers from Arizona State, Ga. St, Jacksonville St, South Alabama, Southern Miss and WVU.
Harley is coming for a visit next weekend per his twitter.

LeGrande Harley‏@_ScratchmyINK
App state is the move next weekend hope they show some love

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Just saw a tweet saying we got #6 anyone have info?

Appstate_SunBelt

Unread post by Appstate_SunBelt » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:20 pm

Yosef84 wrote:Thank you, Firemoose! Very well said. It is VERY early in the game. In previous years, we have shown ZERO activity at this point. We have as many verbals right now as we have usually had in November (yes, it's a "guesstimate"). Maybe part of it is the great job being done by Firemoose and others in getting this information posted on MMB. I don't remember EVER having this amount of information about recruiting and that includes the time I was subscribed to Mountaineer Illustrated.

I don't claim to be an expert, and I can't say with authority that we're exactly where we want to be, but from my perspective, it feels good and I'm enjoying the ride.
This is my first post here but I am a pro FBS fan and this is one of many reasons why. We are going to have Marshall, ECU, Charlotte, WFU, etc. coming to Boone, we are already getting commits whereas in FCS we would have zero right now (5 already), and increased exposure. This is the first of many things to come that will prove FBS is the right move, as long as we spend our money wisely and don't price gauge the fans. It's good to see what many thought before in that players would jump on an App offer sooner if we were just FBS. It's happening now and that's good to see.

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:23 pm

That's something I've noticed too. With this move to FBS, we have a few commits even this early. It was usually in the late fall until they got any commits.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”