Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

If you were coach?

GreatAppSt
School: Appalachian State

If you were coach?

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:09 pm

How would you prepare your game-plan to beat the U of Meatchicken's football team again? Is there anything you think we have or could use or turn to our advantage and exploit greatly for the win?

moonshine

Re: If you were coach?

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:52 pm

OC: take advantage of an aggressive man coverage Van Gorder led Wolverine defense. Kam needs to read the pressure packages and get rid of the ball. Pound Cox and Upshaw to keep them honest and open up play action. Hopefully we'll get similar production to what KRich had in 2007. Protect the ball!

DC: contain Gardner, don't let him run wild. Force him to throw 30+ attempts. When he does run, hit him hard! He's been known to cough it up. A few good early hits could make him gun shy and open up the ability to have success bringing pressure. No arm tackling! Minimize yards after contact and catch.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:27 am

not even sure Garner starts, the poor guy has got the hell beat out of him the last 3 years, don't know how much he has left, got to establish the run, so we can effectively use the play action pass, don't know if our receiving corp is good enough to consistently beat their secondary without some help. On defense needs to be aggressive, from what I have read, their offense shouldn't be very good, it would be a mistake to sit back and atleast not blitz some just to try and keep them guessing alittle bit.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:45 am

moonshine wrote:OC: take advantage of an aggressive man coverage Van Gorder led Wolverine defense. Kam needs to read the pressure packages and get rid of the ball. Pound Cox and Upshaw to keep them honest and open up play action. Hopefully we'll get similar production to what KRich had in 2007. Protect the ball!

DC: contain Gardner, don't let him run wild. Force him to throw 30+ attempts. When he does run, hit him hard! He's been known to cough it up. A few good early hits could make him gun shy and open up the ability to have success bringing pressure. No arm tackling! Minimize yards after contact and catch.
I like you offensive game plan. I might would consider running Kam some too, because I'm thinking they are betting on him to pass--a lot.

On defense, I would like to see us throw some different looks at them, and the 3-4 should allow that. Blitz at odd times, just to keep them guessing.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:16 pm

Kam ran in spots last year and was successful at times. I believe if we could get him loose like we did Jamal Jackson, like 5-7 times a game is plenty. His running depends on how confident we are with the guys behind him. Are we comfortable with Logan Hallock or one of the freshman under center for a lengthened period of time?

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:21 pm

bigCasu wrote:Kam ran in spots last year and was successful at times. I believe if we could get him loose like we did Jamal Jackson, like 5-7 times a game is plenty. His running depends on how confident we are with the guys behind him. Are we comfortable with Logan Hallock or one of the freshman under center for a lengthened period of time?
I agree with that. Perhaps I should have said to run Kam early. Anything to slightly change up the game plan, similar to what WoCo did to us in 2007 coming out passing.

As for if we're comfortable, that's a good question. Is Taylor Lamb (assuming JP is red shirted) ready to start?
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:06 pm

I'd like to see us run jet on offense no subs between plays with lot's of sideline to side line running to try to gas their D. I've always believed our players living and training at altitude has always been a key to our conditioning. Advantage us?

Use as many of the Redshirted players from last year that are on the cusp of winning the position, UM has no film of them. Advantage us?

Unlike the past, closed practices are a must now, this is big boy ball, if not UM will be spying every down.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:45 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:Unlike the past, closed practices are a must now, this is big boy ball, if not UM will be spying every down.
I witnessed several VT coaches spying on our practices when we were prepping for that game. Shamless, wearing their maroon, and parked up above the hedge-A near the Quinn Center.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:49 pm

I'd mix up defenses, like Wylie use to do. Sometimes rush 3 and drop 8 but also bring the house. Woody started to do that late last year so I hope it continues and is even more problematic. We're gonna have to take chances to win at Michigan, offensively and defensively.

Also, I would fake a punt or a FG because we haven't since the Middle Ages.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:09 pm

T-Dog wrote:
What are these things you speak of?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:58 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
What are these things you speak of?
You know GAS...it's what every team that played in Boone the last 5 years did to us when everyone in the stadium was yelling "WATCH THE FAKE!!!!" Surely you remember...
Give 'em hell!

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:47 am

I really look for Woody to open up the defense this year and have different rush packages that will put maximum pressure on the offense, with very active linebackers in the pass rush game. On offense, use the entire field and get the ball to our playmakers in space. Also use speed guys like Sumner on a reverse or two and use more 2 back sets with misdirection. Be unpredictable on both offense and defense...something App was in 2005-2008 and not so much since.

IGgreer

Unread post by IGgreer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:34 pm

If I called plays, on obvious passing downs we would never run plays that included routes that went beyond the line to gain. Dink and dunk and screen passes all day.

Wait...

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:50 pm

If I was a football coach for the Mountaineers, I would be praying for excellent weather all season long in order to further the great attendance we should be getting and to boost the already loud crowd supporting our beloved Apps. ;)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:13 pm

NewApp wrote:If I was a football coach for the Mountaineers, I would be praying for excellent weather all season long in order to further the great attendance we should be getting and to boost the already loud crowd supporting our beloved Apps. ;)
Really?
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:59 am

APPARJ wrote:
NewApp wrote:If I was a football coach for the Mountaineers, I would be praying for excellent weather all season long in order to further the great attendance we should be getting and to boost the already loud crowd supporting our beloved Apps. ;)
Really?
It was a joke with a modicum of truth. Obviously. You didn't notice the wink?
Great weather played a huge role in Cobb's first season as far as attendance/supprt and has been said on here by several others
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:56 pm

bump

Any final Game plan changes with us being without Marcus? :(

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:11 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:bump

Wait....what's up with Marcus? I saw him starting on the depth chart. Did I miss something?
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:37 pm

scatman77 wrote:
GreatAppSt wrote:bump

Wait....what's up with Marcus? I saw him starting on the depth chart. Did I miss something?
Marcus has been practicing this week

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”