Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

AG back?

Maddog1956
School: Appalachian State

Re: AG back?

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:10 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:Two Words:
"Duke Lacrosse"

I do think that case was somewhat different because it wasn't a situation which involved only students at the same school -
Also the Duke students were found innocent and the woman was found to be lying. I think that's how it should work.

I'm not sure why guys only want to give the "benefit of doubt" to crimes against women? Like assault and rape are victimless crimes or something. Remember everyone in the county jail is innocent, unless being for the state. Losing the right to play football/lacrosse is minor compared to just ignoring the complaint because she might not be telling the truth.

That being said, I really don't know anything about the AG case and do trust that SS and staff know more and to have made the right decision. I also think that women has responsibility too, but I think that we are far from giving women too much power in these situation. I don't know how to handle it otherwise, I don't think we can go back to ignoring it. Also I've yet to see stats that show women are usually making this situation up.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Maddog1956 wrote:
"Duke Lacrosse"

I do think that case was somewhat different because it wasn't a situation which involved only students at the same school -
Also the Duke students were found innocent and the woman was found to be lying. I think that's how it should work.

I'm not sure why guys only want to give the "benefit of doubt" to crimes against women? Like assault and rape are victimless crimes or something. Remember everyone in the county jail is innocent, unless being for the state. Losing the right to play football/lacrosse is minor compared to just ignoring the complaint because she might not be telling the truth.

That being said, I really don't know anything about the AG case and do trust that SS and staff know more and to have made the right decision. I also think that women has responsibility too, but I think that we are far from giving women too much power in these situation. I don't know how to handle it otherwise, I don't think we can go back to ignoring it. Also I've yet to see stats that show women are usually making this situation up.
Just for the record, my post (which was quoted leading to the posts you quoted) was not to state that women are fabricating/inventing a story. I just simply can't support the idea that women should be given the "benefit of the doubt," which is essentially rendering the accused as "guilty until proven innocent."

I too trust SS and the staff to know all of the details and to make the correct decision.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:08 pm

Maddog1956 wrote:
"Duke Lacrosse"

I would almost guarantee you that you have not seen that stat because it does not exist. I think your assessment is spot on.
I would also say that as a general statement the court finding may not reflect what really happened but as long as coach reacts to whatever the court finds that is all he can do.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:02 pm

ASUMountaineer wrote:
Just for the record, my post (which was quoted leading to the posts you quoted) was not to state that women are fabricating/inventing a story. I just simply can't support the idea that women should be given the "benefit of the doubt," which is essentially rendering the accused as "guilty until proven innocent."

I too trust SS and the staff to know all of the details and to make the correct decision.
I was who originally quoted you and it was out of agreeance. I posted the Duke situation, because those guys were run through the wringer nationally, due simply to as you say "the benefit of the doubt." In my opinion it is a real world example of how all of us should be careful before throwing stones/making unsubstantiated allegations leading to the "guilty until proven innocent" mindset. I want to say they are still fighting the city of Durham and former DA in civil courts.

Nonetheless, until he gives me a reason not to, I too fully Support and Trust that SS is handling the situation appropriately and building a team with the type of young men we are all proud to root and cheer for.

And since it has been mentioned in prior posts by others, I do have a daughter and so help me if when she gets older and a boyfriend mistreats her....

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:07 pm

Good to see that having a daughter doesn't necessarily dissolve reason and objectivity.

Go Apps!

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:31 am

AppDawg wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:

I was who originally quoted you and it was out of agreeance. I posted the Duke situation, because those guys were run through the wringer nationally, due simply to as you say "the benefit of the doubt." In my opinion it is a real world example of how all of us should be careful before throwing stones/making unsubstantiated allegations leading to the "guilty until proven innocent" mindset. I want to say they are still fighting the city of Durham and former DA in civil courts.

Nonetheless, until he gives me a reason not to, I too fully Support and Trust that SS is handling the situation appropriately and building a team with the type of young men we are all proud to root and cheer for.

And since it has been mentioned in prior posts by others, I do have a daughter and so help me if when she gets older and a boyfriend mistreats her....
Oh yeah, I got your first post. I just wanted to clear up any confusion that may have existed as my inability to grasp brevity sometimes has me saying too much! :lol:
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:22 pm

AppDawg wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:

We all know that that particular case was not a matter of giving her the benefit of the doubt. That was another case of Mr. Sharpton getting his TV time.

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:28 pm

AppDawg wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:

My point is people are put through the wringer all the time with unsubstantiated allegations, but yet it's only on the sexual assault cases that guys seem to complain. If we don't want to be able to arrest someone or even accused someone until their is enough proof that they are 100% guilty, fine I'm all for it. Let's just make it for all crimes.

Let's just don't make the male the victim in these cases unless we also want to make the "thug" that gets picked up for "fitting the profile" the victim also. Most times in sexual assault there isn't going to be a smoking gun, should every guy walk?

In the Duke case all charges were dropped, Nifong was debarred, lost his job and stayed a night in jail. The boys who hired the stippers, missed some games and their only problem with Durham is their $30 million lawsuit. The whole team is also suing the City and received an extra year NCAA eligibility.

But even if people still think this was such a bad deal for the boys. Ask what should they have done, nothing? Should they not have questioned them? What if they didn't want to come in, should they have forgot about it? I worry more about the females that are actually assaulted and raped instead of the small (The "conventional scholarly wisdom," according to American law professor Michelle J. Anderson, is that two percent of rape complaints made to the police are false.) chance that a male will be wrongfully accused. If we have to be over 98% correct before arresting someone, just get rid of the whole justice system.

An email sent to the whole team.

XXXXXX's replaced by me. Total victims, 100% innocent?

“To whom it may concern, tomorrow night, after tonights show, ive decided to have some strippers over to edens 2c. all are welcome.. however there will be no nudity. I plan on killing the bitches as soon as the[y] walk in and proceding to cut their skin off while XXXXXXX'ing in my duke issue spandex . . all in besides arch and tack [two of his teammates] please respond”

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:40 am

JTApps1 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:Not speaking to anyone specifically here, but in the past some on MMB have wanted blood from some of our players who got in trouble - especially with assaulting females --- what is different in this case? ---
For me it just depends if he is guilty or not. If not then I'm looking forward to having him back.
Exactly! I have no tolerance for a man who assaults women or children, however an accusation / charge does not equal guilt. For the record, assaulting another man isn't OK either. If it turns out that he is innocent, or that the facts have been significantly misrepresented, then he should be welcomed back. Hopefully the only "lesson" he needs to learn is NOT to put himself in compromising situations.

I hope the facts are conclusive and that he is not guilty. If he is guilty, he should pay a penalty that fits the severity of the situation. I do not claim to have any information regarding the exact nature of his accused infraction. I'm just saying that a slap in the heat of an argument is bad, but shouldn't ruin his life. A fitting penalty should be administered. An attempt to do harm should come with severe consequences.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:55 pm

A slap in the heat of an argument should not ruin his life? Really? THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION FOR LAYING A HAND ON A WOMAN! PERIOD! Now I have no idea if he did or not but that statement is just so wrong for the message it sends. Plenty of males in this country hit women every day but no MAN ever has, just pitiful slimy little male puppies.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:12 am

bcoach wrote:A slap in the heat of an argument should not ruin his life? Really? THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION FOR LAYING A HAND ON A WOMAN! PERIOD! Now I have no idea if he did or not but that statement is just so wrong for the message it sends. Plenty of males in this country hit women every day but no MAN ever has, just pitiful slimy little male puppies.
BCoach, if you knew me AT ALL, you would know that I am making no excuses for slapping a woman. I have never done it and I'm not saying it is "OK". I'm saying that there is a whole range of infractions ranging from a (possibly provoked) slap to a vicious beat down. To even imply that those should be handled the same is completely ridiculous. Perhaps you can consider it "unjustified" but that is not what we are talking about. We are talking about whether is should be actionable legally or for purposes of team discipline. That was the point of my post...simply that IF he is even guilty, then the punishment should fit the crime.

I actually respect your emotional response to my post, but I can assure you I am in no way suggesting that it is ok for a man to slap a woman just because she makes him angry. Perhaps my words were poorly chosen, but if you knew anything about me, you would have recognized the intent. I'm thinking that most on this board probably understood it.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:20 pm

If found guilty, he can just sit out 2 games. That's the way the NFL sees it. I'm just joking everyone. I think we all believe the was total BS there. If not, all I have to say is ... hmmmmmmm
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

HappyHippie

Unread post by HappyHippie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:54 pm

The police reported stated closed fists - having AG back before the courts rule is troubling to me. Am I wrong?

HappyHippie

Unread post by HappyHippie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:56 pm

The police report stated closed fists - having AG back before the courts rule is troubling to me. Am I wrong?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:19 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
bcoach wrote:A slap in the heat of an argument should not ruin his life? Really? THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION FOR LAYING A HAND ON A WOMAN! PERIOD! Now I have no idea if he did or not but that statement is just so wrong for the message it sends. Plenty of males in this country hit women every day but no MAN ever has, just pitiful slimy little male puppies.
BCoach, if you knew me AT ALL, you would know that I am making no excuses for slapping a woman. I have never done it and I'm not saying it is "OK". I'm saying that there is a whole range of infractions ranging from a (possibly provoked) slap to a vicious beat down. To even imply that those should be handled the same is completely ridiculous. Perhaps you can consider it "unjustified" but that is not what we are talking about. We are talking about whether is should be actionable legally or for purposes of team discipline. That was the point of my post...simply that IF he is even guilty, then the punishment should fit the crime.

I actually respect your emotional response to my post, but I can assure you I am in no way suggesting that it is ok for a man to slap a woman just because she makes him angry. Perhaps my words were poorly chosen, but if you knew anything about me, you would have recognized the intent. I'm thinking that most on this board probably understood it.
I accept your intent and respect it. You are correct in that I don't know you. I will say that not knowing you would lead many of us the wrong conclusion so I am glad you cleared that up. You don't know me either so let me say my response is not at all emotional. I feel and always have that a slap should receive a severe punishment such as off the team, out of school, and jail time. It should get more severe from there. Except for the punishment it looks like we are of the same opinion. Thanks for clearing that up.
Now we really need a game.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:49 am

I have to admit that the more I hear about this situation, the less comfortable I am. I like to give people the benefit, and I do trust the coaching staff. That being said, there should be real consequences for these infractions. We might not precisely agree on the execution, but a slap on the wrist isn't going to cut it. Whatever Coach Satterfield decides, I hope he puts the fear in this young man so that this NEVER repeats itself.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:10 pm

HappyHippie wrote:The police report stated closed fists - having AG back before the courts rule is troubling to me. Am I wrong?
Innocent until proven guilty. We hear it so often it seems that some have forgotten what that actually means.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 pm

Gonzo wrote:
HappyHippie wrote:The police report stated closed fists - having AG back before the courts rule is troubling to me. Am I wrong?
Innocent until proven guilty. We hear it so often it seems that some have forgotten what that actually means.
So you are in the camp that all players should continue practicing and playing until their case is settled in some type of court? ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:19 pm

Gonzo wrote:
It does not mean that precautions are not taken prior to trial.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:21 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
So you are in the camp that all players should continue practicing and playing until their case is settled in some type of court? ---
Yes. Because there is a presumption of INNOCENCE no matter the nature of the charge. It is the core principle of the criminal court system.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”