Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sumler

sixtoes9134

Sumler

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:37 am

Did I hear correctly yesterday that Coach Satterfield said Sumler's health had been up and down this summer?

moehler

Re: Sumler

Unread post by moehler » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:53 am

Haven't heard but wouldn't surprise me, he has had a rough time with that knee, got to get him on the field, he is pretty much our only speed receiver, need him to stretch the field to create room for other receivers.

appbio91
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by appbio91 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:00 am

Not to be a smartass but who is going to throw him the ball when he stretches the field?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:35 am

moehler wrote:Haven't heard but wouldn't surprise me, he has had a rough time with that knee, got to get him on the field, he is pretty much our only speed receiver, need him to stretch the field to create room for other receivers.
Maybe the only speed receiver with any experience, but we have several freshmen coming in that are 4.3 guys.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:50 am

appbio91 wrote:Not to be a smartass but who is going to throw him the ball when he stretches the field?
Have you seen any of our QBs throwing the ball lately? - :o - nor have I, so maybe we will be surprised --- :o
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:51 am

We just need to wait until Moose crawls his lazy ass out of bed this morning and checks the board and he will surely know --- :mrgreen:
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:17 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
appbio91 wrote:Not to be a smartass but who is going to throw him the ball when he stretches the field?
Have you seen any of our QBs throwing the ball lately? - :o - nor have I, so maybe we will be surprised --- :o
Kam's weakness last year was throwing an accurate long ball (another reason those plays weren't called for those confused why we didn't do that more). Seems like a fair question.

I've learned today that we can not question a player's abilities which we have viewed with our eyes, but we can question the innocence of a player which we have no facts of the event in question.

For the record I like Kam as our QB, he is one of the most accurate passers we've had at App during my time as a fan, and has bright future ahead of him in the real world. He is a true student athlete.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:20 am

Saint3333 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
Kam's weakness last year was throwing an accurate long ball (another reason those plays weren't called for those confused why we didn't do that more). Seems like a fair question.

I've learned today that we can not question a player's abilities which we have viewed with our eyes, but we can question the innocence of a player which we have no facts of the event in question.

For the record I like Kam as our QB, he is one of the most accurate passers we've had at App during my time as a fan, and has bright future ahead of him in the real world. He is a true student athlete.
I believe his question was about the future not the past - So you have no thoughts that Kam's ability to deliver down-field passes might be improved over last year???
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:32 am

I too like Kam as our QB and he will do a great job. If he gets beat out, then someone is going to be a huge star.

Back to Sumler. I want to see more of what I saw in Spring game and I just hope he's good to go.

Just was wondering if anyone else heard it the same why I did yesterday when Satt was on with DJ.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:42 am

With the speed of Sumler and the others coming in, we only need a pass 10-15 yards down field to make magic happen.....

AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:44 am

It is a fair question pre-camp.

As is the health of Sumler, Smalls, etc.

As is the oline depth and guard starters.

As is what WRs will start.

We can only go by what we know at this point.

We can't assume all of these questions have positive answers, some likely do not.

JROCK98

Unread post by JROCK98 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:59 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:I too like Kam as our QB and he will do a great job. If he gets beat out, then someone is going to be a huge star.

Back to Sumler. I want to see more of what I saw in Spring game and I just hope he's good to go.

Just was wondering if anyone else heard it the same why I did yesterday when Satt was on with DJ.
On the radio with DJ Coach did say Sumler has had an up and down summer; but did say he was hungry to get on the field.
Coach also mentioned Kam has worked very hard this off season and one of the things they were working on is his arm strength.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:44 am

This is the quote from coach Satterfield posted on 247sports.com's "free" portion of its website.

"Tacoi Sumler’s main thing is just staying healthy, as he’s been dinged up pretty good since he’s been here but obviously he was real impressive in the spring and we’re really excited about the leadership and big play ability he has the potential to give us this fall.”

AUHornet
School: Auburn

Unread post by AUHornet » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:52 am

JTApps1 wrote:
moehler wrote:Haven't heard but wouldn't surprise me, he has had a rough time with that knee, got to get him on the field, he is pretty much our only speed receiver, need him to stretch the field to create room for other receivers.
Maybe the only speed receiver with any experience, but we have several freshmen coming in that are 4.3 guys.
As much as I'd like think we have a bunch of 4.3 guys that's probably not the case. Hopkins is probably a legit 4.4 or maybe better but after that I'm guessing in the 4.45 - 4.60 range. At the NFL combine this year two WR's broke 4.4 so 4.3 it is just not a real number.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:08 am

AUHornet wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
As much as I'd like think we have a bunch of 4.3 guys that's probably not the case. Hopkins is probably a legit 4.4 or maybe better but after that I'm guessing in the 4.45 - 4.60 range. At the NFL combine this year two WR's broke 4.4 so 4.3 it is just not a real number.
Yeah, I was going to post similar. Hopkins is a burner, but I don't know if any of the others are under 4.5. Maybe Cathey, but I don't think he's a 4.3 guy.

AppState2014

Unread post by AppState2014 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:31 am

AUHornet wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
Exactly. I have heard some people who really know what they are doing laugh at all of these HS times.

I don't think we have anyone on our team who is a 4.4 or better WR for sure outside of Sumler. Most top WRs run 4.5s and 4.6s. Tony Washington was our fastest of the WRs last year (those who started) and he ran 4.50-4.55 at the pro day, according to the 247 pro day article.

I would bet Upshaw and Cox run 4.50 or better and then Sumler and maybe 1 or 2 others on the team but doubt we had anyone who runs a 4.3, outside of maybe Sumler (and I'm not 100% he is a 4.3 guy and not a low 4.4 or mid 4.4 guy).

With all that said I do think for a Sun Belt team we have some speed. Our WRs have potential to be a very lethal group by the end of the season and in 2015. Hopefully a couple of these incoming players are burners and can help stretch the field.

Some people thought because Sumler was a Rivals 250 player he would be a huge impact but even without health issues he still wasn't a starter at Oregon. There is a reason he transferred out, he could not start. I'm thinking health played a role but until he can stay healthy I'm going to lean more towards depending on some of the more proven guys. Hopefully he will stay healthy and become a big time playmaker. I just hesitate depending on any player who has had a lot of health issues. I'm pulling for Sumler and hope that he gets over them this fall so he becomes a pleasant surprise.

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:41 am

Just because Sumler is a speedster doesn't mean you have to throw it to him down the field. Kam's lack of a deep ball has nothing to do with Sumler's potential effectiveness. Short, quick passes to get him in space is better than trying to hit a 5-9 receiver over the top. Dexter Jackson's long TD against Michigan was a 10-15 yard slant. I think Kam can handle it.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:10 pm

AUHornet wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
Where did I ever say we had a bunch of 4.3 guys? I said several were in that range. Hopkins and Cathey are both burners.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:09 pm

AppState2014 wrote:
AUHornet wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:

Some people thought because Sumler was a Rivals 250 player he would be a huge impact but even without health issues he still wasn't a starter at Oregon. There is a reason he transferred out, he could not start.
Not true. Not being able to start wasn't the reason he left Oregon. I can't promise you that.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:32 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

I believe his question was about the future not the past - So you have no thoughts that Kam's ability to deliver down-field passes might be improved over last year???
It may have and I hope it has improved. It is fair to say he just was not very accurate with the long ball and we need that threat to be there even if we use it sparingly. We can't forget that the guys on the other side of the ball are a step above the guys we played against last year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”