Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Michigan's 2015 NFL Draft Prospects

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Michigan's 2015 NFL Draft Prospects

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:19 pm

from CBSSports.com ---
In his first season as head coach in Ann Arbor, Brady Hoke led the Wolverines to an 11-2 record in 2011, a signal that Michigan was back after a few bleak years. But with eight wins in 2012 and only seven last season, Hoke's first year is a distant memory and the Wolverines desperately need a bounce-back season in 2014.

Despite the team not matching the program's standards on the field recently, Michigan hasn't stopped sending talent to the NFL. The school has produced at least one draft pick every season since 1938, one of the longest active streaks in college football. And that streak has an excellent chance of extending another year with several quality draft-eligible prospects on the roster.

Michigan's NFL Draft-Eligible prospects to watch in 2014:
WR/TE Devin Funchess, Junior (6-5 | 235 | 4.73 | #87)
A player just scratching the surface of his potential, Funchess is an impressive athlete and is the Wolverines' top offensive playmaker with Jeremy Gallon now in the NFL. Funchess, who is in the WR/TE hybrid mold with a tall, workable frame and lean muscle tone, lined up at both receiver and tight end as a freshman and sophomore, but is expected to be a full-time wideout in 2014. He has excellent initial burst off the line to get vertical in a hurry with long, full strides, flashing flexible and easy movement skills rare for a player his size. Funchess tracks well with smooth body control to make natural adjustments on the ball, but has WAY too many drops on his resume and needs to improve his reliability and finishing ability through the catch point. The effort is there for him as a blocker, but his technique needs work as he's often caught off guard with his blocking assignments. Funchess is a mismatch nightmare against linebackers and smaller defensive backs and with improved consistency, he has all the makings of a future first-round pick, reminiscent of a younger Jermichael Finley at Texas.

LB Jake Ryan, RS Senior (6-2 | 240 | 4.68 | #47)
Even Ohio State fans can admit, Ryan is a darn good football player. He is the self-made type of prospect who somehow went under-recruited despite coming from St. Ignatius in Cleveland, one of Ohio's top high school football programs. After he redshirted in 2011, Ryan couldn't be kept off the field and blossomed into one of the Big Ten's top defenders, leading Michigan in tackles (88), tackles for loss (16.0) and sacks (4.5) in 2012. He tore the ACL in his right knee in March 2013 and missed the first half of last season, starting only five games in 2013 while working his way back from injury. Ryan processes information very quickly to read, react and attack with aggressive, decisive movements and has the athleticism to chase down ballcarriers and cover a large area. He has a high football IQ and it's no coincidence that he always seems to be around the ball, displaying the point-of-attack toughness to consistently finish. With a healthy and productive senior season, Ryan is viewed by scouts as a possible top-50 draft pick and a player who can line up at several linebacker spots in any scheme.

DE Frank Clark, Senior (6-2 | 273 | 4.68 | #57)
One of the more underrated pass rushers for the 2015 class, Clark is another Cleveland product on the Michigan defense who only knows how to play nonstop. He stepped up as a leader last season when Ryan went down with the ACL injury and finished his junior year as the only Wolverine with double-digit tackles for loss (12.0). Clark has good body thickness throughout with long arms and quick, active hands to engage blockers, but needs to load more ammo into his punch to generate movement at the point of attack. He goes hard off the snap with an energetic mentality, but doesn't always have a clear plan and needs to set up his moves better to fool blockers. Clark isn't the type of prospect who will receive much publicity, but he will prove to be a steal in the NFL if he ends up in the mid-round range.

QB Devin Gardner, RS Senior (6-4 | 210 | 4.64 | #98)
With an inconsistent-at-best run game last season, Michigan relied heavily on the passing game and Gardner stepped up with 60.3-percent completions, 2,960 passing yards and a 21-to-11 touchdown-to-interception ratio. But while the production was encouraging, his tape isn't as positive with a number of streaky tendencies that need improved in 2014 for him to be considered a viable draft pick. Gardner has NFL arm strength and the ball appears to jump off his hand, but his upper and lower body mechanics are a mess and he often releases while off-balance, causing his ball placement to end up all over the place. He holds the ball too long and has struggled in the past with anticipating the rush and not recognizing his keys to find favorable match-ups downfield. Gardner has the athleticism to scramble and pick up yards with his legs, but his poise and pocket presence is lacking at this point and he needs to do a better job working around the noise while keeping his eyes downfield. Without improvements as a passer this season, it's very possible Gardner will be evaluated at a different position with his size and athletic profile (17 catches, 268 receiving yards and four touchdown grabs in his career).

Other Michigan prospects worth watching:
OT Erik Magnuson, RS Sophomore (6-6 | 295 | 5.05 | #78)
Michigan's projected starter at left tackle, Magnuson will have the unenviable task of replacing Taylor Lewan, who was an All-American and top-12 NFL Draft pick. All seven of his career starts have come at guard, but he has the skill-set to kick outside and develop as an impact blindside protector.

OG Kyle Kalis, RS Sophomore (6-5 | 302 | 5.14 | #67)
Another Cleveland-area native, Kalis arrived at Michigan with five stars and a number of high school accolades. He redshirted in 2012 and cracked the starting line-up last season with nine starts at right guard, displaying the mirror quickness and core strength to be reliable in pass protection and as a run blocker.

LB Desmond Morgan, Senior (6-1 | 228 | 4.76 | #48)
Entering his fourth year as a starter, Morgan has steadily improved over his career in Ann Arbor and is one of eight starters returning for Michigan on defense. Although he doesn't stand out in any one specific area, he has a well-rounded skill-set and brings a leadership presence to the field.

CB Blake Countess, RS Junior (5-10 | 182 | 4.52 | #18)
After missing the 2012 season due to an ACL injury, Countess returned last year and was the most consistent member of the Wolverines' secondary, finishing with a conference-best six interceptions. He will have some hiccups when he takes chances, but Countess has the fluid body type and ballskills that make him an attractive pro prospect.

CB Raymon Taylor, Senior (5-10 | 183 | 4.49 | #6)
The starting cornerback opposite Countess, Taylor has 23 starts to his name and has collected six career interceptions. His size, speed and strength are all considered average, but he has the competitive mentality and awareness needed for the position.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

moehler

Re: Michigan's 2015 NFL Draft Prospects

Unread post by moehler » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:06 pm

for one of flagship programs FBS, that's not a very impressive list, in normal years they would atleast a couple of first round picks and probably 6 or 7 guys in the first 2 or 3 rounds, from what I interpret from that list is the wide receiver and the linebacker look legitimate, but the rest seem to be average by Big Ten standards, even Garner has really lost a step and isn't the player he once was due to the beating he has taken, not even sure he will be the starter. We have alot of question marks, but Michigan may have even more than us, don't believe we will win the game, but from what I have read about them, I don't see any reason why we cant atleast keep it close for 3 quarters, and keep the final score respectable. If we lose by more than 17 I would be really disappointed.

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Not many of the Hart, Manningham, Henne caliber.

Edit: But we don't have many of the Edwards, Lynch, Jackson caliber either.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:33 pm

Gonzo wrote:Not many of the Hart, Manningham, Henne caliber.

When it comes to App State's NFL potential, John Law has to be at the top of the list. Dude has DJ Smith instincts in a much bigger body. On top of that, he's a hard worker and smart kid.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:41 pm

One player who I think has NFL potential but hasn't gotten much publicity in that direction is junior DB Doug Middleton.

AppState2014

Unread post by AppState2014 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:41 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:One player who I think has NFL potential but hasn't gotten much publicity in that direction is junior DB Doug Middleton.
Middleton is coming off a season where he was probably not 100% after the injury in 2012. I think we need to see how he looks this year before we say that but he certainly looks the part. He's not NFL caliber right now.

John Law is undersized but pretty good. Just not blazing fast. I would say Kendall Lamm is going to attract NFL teams this fall and then Marcus Cox is probably our best guy at this point. I think we have several freshmen and sophomores with a shot. If Deuce Robinson has a big year he will certainly get a shot because he is a big guy with long arms. Have to consider Ronald Blair as well if he has a big year, however, he is just a junior.

Of the guys on the team who look the part best of anyone I would say Lamm, Robinson, maybe Middleton, Alex Gray, Kendall Lamm, and Marcus Cox (just based on their body types). Cox is our best player at this point. Although, I'm sure someone will step up this year and prove to be a NFL worthy guy. We always have a few who get in camp every year.
Last edited by AppState2014 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:23 pm

AppState2014 wrote:
AppGrad78 wrote:One player who I think has NFL potential but hasn't gotten much publicity in that direction is junior DB Doug Middleton.
Middleton is coming off an injury so I think we need to see how he looks this year before we say that but he certainly looks the part.

John Law is undersized but pretty good. Just not blazing fast. I would say Kendall Lamm is going to attract NFL teams this fall and then Marcus Cox is probably our best guy at this point. I think we have several freshmen and sophomores with a shot. If Deuce Robinson has a big year he will certainly get a shot because he is a big guy with long arms. Have to consider Ronald Blair as well if he has a big year, however, he is just a junior.

Of the guys on the team who look the part best of anyone I would say Lamm, Robinson, maybe Middleton, Alex Gray, Kendall Lamm, and Marcus Cox (just based on their body types). Cox is our best player at this point. Although, I'm sure someone will step up this year and prove to be a NFL worthy guy. We always have a few who get in camp every year.
Middleton's injury came in the first game of the 2012 season, nearly two years ago. If you're curious, here's his bio from last year.

2013: Came off the bench for the first half of the season while also being a valuable contributor on special teams ... tallied just nine tackles over the first five games of the season ... saw playing time begin to increase in sixth game of the season versus Samford and he responded with a career-high nine tackles ... moved into the starting lineup two games later against Georgia Southern and not only matched the career-high nine tackles but forced a fumble for the second-straight game and intercepted a pass (his first INT in over two years) to help lead the Mountaineers to a 38-14 win ... remained in the starting lineup for the rest of the season and racked up 25 tackles in five games as a starter ... finished the season with 46 tackles, good for ninth on the team ... tied for team lead with four tackles on kickoffs.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:22 pm

I know he is only a Sophomore but I would add Bentlee Critcher to the list as well. Averaging 46 yards a punt is good at every level, and is one of the positions that isnt affected by the level of competition.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:34 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:from CBSSports.com ---

QB Devin Gardner, RS Senior (6-4 | 210 | 4.64 | #98)
With an inconsistent-at-best run game last season, Michigan relied heavily on the passing game and Gardner stepped up with 60.3-percent completions, 2,960 passing yards and a 21-to-11 touchdown-to-interception ratio. But while the production was encouraging, his tape isn't as positive with a number of streaky tendencies that need improved in 2014 for him to be considered a viable draft pick. Gardner has NFL arm strength and the ball appears to jump off his hand, but his upper and lower body mechanics are a mess and he often releases while off-balance, causing his ball placement to end up all over the place. He holds the ball too long and has struggled in the past with anticipating the rush and not recognizing his keys to find favorable match-ups downfield. Gardner has the athleticism to scramble and pick up yards with his legs, but his poise and pocket presence is lacking at this point and he needs to do a better job working around the noise while keeping his eyes downfield. Without improvements as a passer this season, it's very possible Gardner will be evaluated at a different position with his size and athletic profile (17 catches, 268 receiving yards and four touchdown grabs in his career).

I don't see how the QB, Gardner, is considered a draft prospect with all the negative things the writer had to say about him.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppState2014

Unread post by AppState2014 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:35 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
AppState2014 wrote:
Middleton is coming off an injury so I think we need to see how he looks this year before we say that but he certainly looks the part.

Middleton's injury came in the first game of the 2012 season, nearly two years ago. If you're curious, here's his bio from last year.

2013: Came off the bench for the first half of the season while also being a valuable contributor on special teams ... tallied just nine tackles over the first five games of the season ... saw playing time begin to increase in sixth game of the season versus Samford and he responded with a career-high nine tackles ... moved into the starting lineup two games later against Georgia Southern and not only matched the career-high nine tackles but forced a fumble for the second-straight game and intercepted a pass (his first INT in over two years) to help lead the Mountaineers to a 38-14 win ... remained in the starting lineup for the rest of the season and racked up 25 tackles in five games as a starter ... finished the season with 46 tackles, good for ninth on the team ... tied for team lead with four tackles on kickoffs.
I should have phrased it differently but he was not 100% last year or at least did not play like a NFL caliber player coming off that injury. I want to see what he looks like this year. He didn't dominate nearly enough to make it in the NFL. Look at the safeties we have had make it and he isn't nearly as good a football player as those guys, yet.

AppState2014

Unread post by AppState2014 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:38 pm

JTApps1 wrote:I know he is only a Sophomore but I would add Bentlee Critcher to the list as well. Averaging 46 yards a punt is good at every level, and is one of the positions that isnt affected by the level of competition.
He certainly should get looks if he keeps it up. Hopefully he finishes his career like Sam Martin did and we have another punted drafted here soon.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:03 am

Gonzo wrote:Not many of the Hart, Manningham, Henne caliber.

Glad I didn't see any JAKE LONGs on the Michigan list either.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppState2014

Unread post by AppState2014 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:59 pm

I didn't say it before but I think all of our names except maybe Lamm and Cox have to be considered "possible" or "potential' prospects. Hard to say a 4 win FCS team has 4 or 5 legit NFL players. I'm not sure we had anyone on the roster last year that I would have bet will make a 53 man roster in the NFL at that point. If we end up winning 6 or 7 games this year and then win 9 or 10 in 2015 then I would imagine we do have at least 3 or 4 players who make it from the roster this year but it's all speculation right now.

Look at how many players made it from our NC teams. We don't have nearly that much talent. There is no definite Brian Quick or Tony Washington at WR, definitely no AE at QB, no Corey Lynch or Jason Hunter or Marques Murrell for sure yet on defense, and we don't have a brick wall offensive line with someone the caliber of Kilgore yet. It would not shock me if one or two young OL and/or Kendall Lamm develops into that but I don't think we can say we have a lot of definite NFL talent. By NFL talent I don't mean guys who get a tryout or last two weeks in training camp. I'm talking about players who make a 53 man or practice squad for a year or two and actually suit up in a NFL game.

I hope this changes and we put 10-15 in the NFL! It helps in recruiting and means we have talent, thus meaning we should win a lot of games!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:24 pm

JTApps1 wrote:I know he is only a Sophomore but I would add Bentlee Critcher to the list as well. Averaging 46 yards a punt is good at every level, and is one of the positions that isnt affected by the level of competition.
Critcher certainly has the leg to punt at the next level. He can really uncork 'em.
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”