Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Thoughts on Athletic Department

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Thoughts on Athletic Department

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:12 pm

I just felt I needed to say this and no one has spurred me to do this - recently there was a discussion on MMB concerning Coach Moore, Charlie Cobb, Scott Satterfield and some others - Personally, I know none of these people - However, I do know David Jackson and to me he is the one athletic administration/department staff member that APP cannot afford to lose - To me, he is the voice and face of APP athletics - He is a decorated professional who always portrays ASU in the best light ---
I've said my piece - thank you!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: Thoughts on Athletic Department

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:16 pm

I would stop short of that, but there is something to say for having a long-time voice of... Think of Woody Durham, Bob Harris or Bill Roth (VT). I hope we can keep DJ for a long time, if not until retirement.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:19 pm

AppinVA wrote:I would stop short of that, but there is something to say for having a long-time voice of... Think of Woody Durham, Bob Harris or Bill Roth (VT). I hope we can keep DJ for a long time, if not until retirement.
But he is more than - "the voice of" - he is an important member of the Athletic Department, he wears many hats and does it all successfully ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:12 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:I just felt I needed to say this and no one has spurred me to do this - recently there was a discussion on MMB concerning Coach Moore, Charlie Cobb, Scott Satterfield and some others - Personally, I know none of these people - However, I do know David Jackson and to me he is the one athletic administration/department staff member that APP cannot afford to lose - To me, he is the voice and face of APP athletics - He is a decorated professional who always portrays ASU in the best light ---
I give him credit for always replying to my emails. I appreciate that. Sadly, most of my emails are about problems with AppStateTV. I have had the chance to rib him in an email when my Eastern Wildcats have taken a victory over his Northeast Rams in football, though that happens way to infrequently.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:15 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:I just felt I needed to say this and no one has spurred me to do this - recently there was a discussion on MMB concerning Coach Moore, Charlie Cobb, Scott Satterfield and some others - Personally, I know none of these people - However, I do know David Jackson and to me he is the one athletic administration/department staff member that APP cannot afford to lose - To me, he is the voice and face of APP athletics - He is a decorated professional who always portrays ASU in the best light ---
I give him credit for always replying to my emails. I appreciate that. Sadly, most of my emails are about problems with AppStateTV. I have had the chance to rib him in an email when my Eastern Wildcats have taken a victory over his Northeast Rams in football, though that happens way to infrequently.
Yep - I have done the same with my ex-Western Alamance Warriors and I can rib you and your Wildcats a little as well :o
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Just my opinion, but David's value to the university can't be overstated. Not only is he the top play-by-play man in North Carolina -- don't believe me? just ask people in the industry -- but he's also a tireless behind-the-scenes worker who does a lot of the grunt work we never hear about. I would imagine David has become frustrated with the state of the athletic department of late, but I sincerely hope our next athletic director appreciates the value David adds to the Appalachian State "brand." David, again my opinion, is every bit as important to ASU as Woody Durham was to UNC.
Last edited by AppGrad78 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:43 pm

I'm not one to invoke what little insider knowledge I have left, but I'll just say our athletic department is cheap, and I wouldn't be surprised if they parted with anyone if that person asked for a raise.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:10 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Yep - I have done the same with my ex-Western Alamance Warriors and I can rib you and your Wildcats a little as well :o
If you are a Warrior you can rib me more than a little, you can rib me just about every competition we play.

Eastern does have a much better Astronomy program than Western for what it is worth.

Did you grow up in that area and move to West "by God" Virginia later in life?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Remember what Ken Peacock said sometime after the Michigan win in 2007?... He said that athletics were "the front porch to the university." I agree with that and would add that if indeed athletics are the front porch to Appalachian State University, David Jackson is the front steps to our front porch!!!

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:24 pm

David Jackson better not go anywhere WVApeer :shock:

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:28 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:David Jackson better not go anywhere WVApeer :shock:
TOTALLY AGREE !!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:14 pm

I like David Jackson as much as anyone here. I would not be surprised if he has other opportunities he is not talking about. No need for a franchise tag. No such thing in Boone.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:22 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:Just my opinion, but David's value to the university can't be overstated. Not only is he the top play-by-play man in North Carolina -- don't believe me? just ask people in the industry -- but he's also a tireless behind-the-scenes worker who does a lot of the grunt work we never hear about. I would imagine David has become frustrated with the state of the athletic department of late, but I sincerely hope that our next athletic director appreciates the value David adds to the Appalachian State "brand." David, again my opinion, is every bit important to ASU as Woody Durham was to UNC.
RP
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

The Annoying Peasant

Unread post by The Annoying Peasant » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:45 pm

WVAPPeer your concerns are have more validity than you realize. Had Cobb not moved on to Atlanta it is almost a certainty several long time athletic department employees would have left. Some were already shopping around. One said the moral in the department was as low as he had ever seen.

Cobb has put the department in very bad financial shape. So bad he started taking Dugout Club donations along with money generated by souvenir and concessions sales (items bought by the baseball staff out of their budget and sold by girlfriends of the players during the games) and was folding it into the general athletics budget. You think that sat too well with the people at Smith Stadium? It gets worse when you realize the baseball program generated more revenue than the men's & women's basketball program COMBINED. Yet the baseball assistants are paid less than half of what the women's bb assistants make. All this is public info from the athletic department budget and UNC system database.

Cobb's accomplice and yes man in everything that has gone on is Rick Beasley. Except for a few select individuals, Rick's reputation among the staff has been severely damaged. The spontaneous celebrations that broke out all over Boone last Thursday are totally understandable. People who were about to jump ship now have hope Chancellor Everts will bring in someone that trims a lot of dead wood out and gets the feel good vibe going again.
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Yet the baseball assistants are paid less than half of what the women's bb assistants make.

How do their salaries compare to the men's bb assistants?

I agree that the time had come for changes to be made or there would have likely been a number of departures.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09 pm

hapapp wrote:Yet the baseball assistants are paid less than half of what the women's bb assistants make.

I agree that the time had come for changes to be made or there would have likely been a number of departures.
I would say this is probably the case as most universities - baseball coaches have always seemed to make less - even in high school :(
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:34 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
hapapp wrote:Yet the baseball assistants are paid less than half of what the women's bb assistants make.

I would say this is probably the case as most universities - baseball coaches have always seemed to make less - even in high school :(
Title IX plays a significant role in the emphasis on women's sports as opposed to men's sports. When Linda Robinson was in compliance and in her previous position as Women's basketball coach, she created a bruha (sp) regarding inequity of the coaching salaries, travel expenses,etc between women's sports and men's. In her time as compliance director, she may have kept our entire athletic department out of numerous NCAA infractions. She was definitely a thorn in our side, but thankfully it balanced out in positive regards. Just goes to show there is the proverbial silver lining in every storm cloud.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

IGgreer

Unread post by IGgreer » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:52 pm

IG Greer is a big fan of DJ.

Maybe he can be the AD and do PBP. Vince McMahon-style.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:16 am

AppGrad78 wrote:Just my opinion, but David's value to the university can't be overstated. Not only is he the top play-by-play man in North Carolina -- don't believe me? just ask people in the industry -- but he's also a tireless behind-the-scenes worker who does a lot of the grunt work we never hear about. I would imagine David has become frustrated with the state of the athletic department of late, but I sincerely hope our next athletic director appreciates the value David adds to the Appalachian State "brand." David, again my opinion, is every bit as important to ASU as Woody Durham was to UNC.

David Jackson is, in my opinion, the glue that's been holding the Athletic Department together for several years. He is very much the silent, tireless worker behind the scenes that gets the show on despite the obstacles in the way. Those obstacles, be they office/campus politics, network outages, old and "iffy" broadcast gear, people who make promises to him and forget to deliver, shoe-string budgets, hectic travel schedules, you name it--DJ always finds a way to pull it off. And usually, it's done with quiet and confident diplomacy, with a smile on his face and a joke to keep everybody loose.

DJ's an Appalachian guy through and through--but he's got a young family to provide for. If his compensation isn't addressed by the new AD--whoever that may be--then no one should be surprised if DJ accepts an offer to leave. No one in the department is more deserving. No one.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:55 am

YesAppCan wrote:Remember what Ken Peacock said sometime after the Michigan win in 2007?... He said that athletics were "the front porch to the university." I agree with that and would add that if indeed athletics are the front porch to Appalachian State University, David Jackson is the front steps to our front porch!!!
I would actually say that David Jackson is the man who opens the gate to the front porch and invites others in ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”