Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

were you there in 07?

AppState89
School: Appalachian State

Re: were you there in 07?

Unread post by AppState89 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Wife and I were there..... drank about a 5th of Wild Turkey before the game and was feeling really really good when the game started....

my fav pic ever .... Has the final score 34-32!!!!!
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:58 am

Cool pic. I see myself in the background.

zim262

Unread post by zim262 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:25 am

We were at our cabin in Globe, NC (i.e. the middle of nowhere). Watched the game on BTN via DirecTV. Hey you can only rough it so much.
As luck would have it we will be there this weekend. Hopefully with the same results.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:39 am

AppState89 wrote:Wife and I were there..... drank about a 5th of Wild Turkey before the game and was feeling really really good when the game started....

My wife and I are there - right behind your head :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:50 am

That's me in the striped shirt. Thanks for posting!

Mountlenoir

Unread post by Mountlenoir » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:12 am

My (ex) wife and I were there. We were impressed with a number of things: how green everything seemed; the beautiful golf course where the tailgate was; how the stadium was built somewhat down into the ground as opposed to being a huge, imposing, towering structure (from our entrance, anyway); how we were able to park in someone's yard right across the street from the stadium for $15 (quite a business for the people that live there); how absolutely NICE and POLITE their fans were in their comments and greetings (before, during, and after the game - think OPPOSITE of NCSU or USC); how many APP fans there were; the honking of horns all around us on the way home; the list goes on! I'll never forget the range of emotions from "we scored!" to "we could run away with this" to "uh oh, at least it was close" to "WTH??!!!!" I'll never forget that as long as I live!

No idea what was going on with the scoreboard (44-44) when I took this pic, but thought I would share
Attachments
07 to sort 041.1.jpg

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:23 am

AppState89 wrote:Wife and I were there..... drank about a 5th of Wild Turkey before the game and was feeling really really good when the game started....

Hey Robert...does this look familiar? It occurred after that 5th of gobble, gobble...

JGthatsme86

Unread post by JGthatsme86 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:39 am

Long-time reader, but I rarely post...but I just have to here. Like others have mentioned, I consider this day one of the "Top 5 Days of my life" behind the birth of my 3 kids and my marriage. I was not originally planning to attend the game, when a friend and co-worker from Detroit called 2 weeks before the game to offer me seats. He is a Michigan alum and said he had 3 extra tickets in a "pretty good section" because his family couldn't make it, but asked if I had 3 friends from "Appy State" that might like to see a "real football stadium". I immediately accepted and decided to take a fellow alum from GSO and my son who was a sophomore in HS at the time. We went up on Friday night and I will admit that my son (who had just recently gotten his driver's license) was our DD around Ann Arbor as we took in that great college town.
We started tailgating with my UM buddy at 8:30 am the next morning in a big party area beside "The Big Blue School Bus", which was just awesome. The fans embraced our group and seemed to get a kick out of the fact that we had come all the way from NC for a "warm up game".
("Greensboro...is that near Myrtle Beach??")
When we got to the stadium, we were ushered to our seats...40 yrd line, row 20! We were in a huge sea of Blue & Gold, but it just so happened that there was an App family of 4 sitting right in front of us. I honestly wish to this day, I had gotten their names and contact info, because we had a fantastic day together! I had been to both prior NC games, which I will never forget...but this day was just perfect. In the second half, my buddy the UM grad left us in our seats and went to watch from another area because he was so frustrated. :lol:
My greatest memory of the day:
Late that evening, my son and I went back to our room at the Hampton Inn, sat in our beds eating pizza and watching several hours of recap footage on every major sports network. We both knew the historical significance of the day, and hearing that much national media coverage just confirmed it.

As an update to our story...my son graduated from App last spring, which was probably the 6th greatest day of my life!

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:29 am

There is video evidence of my attendance at the 5:35 mark in the game worn Matt Ruff jersey.
We got 5th row seat on the 48 yardline ASU sideline. I can actually be heard screaming in the video. Didn't talk right for days. Went to Cleveland that night and wore our ASU jerseys and didn't have to pay for a single drink all night. Caught a Indians game the next morning, bought nosebleed seats and the ushers saw us, still with App gear on, and moved us behind home plate. Awesome weekend to say the least.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:41 am

My wife and I were there in Section 7, Row 54, Seats 26-27. Have those tickets framed in my office along with the game program sighed by Jerry Moore and the Dexter SI. One of the best days of my life and the only feeling of elation that matched it was the first National Championship in 05. :D

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:48 am

ASUPATCH wrote:Caught a Indians game the next morning

We went to the Indians game as well. Decked out in App gear, we were treated like celebrities. :lol:

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:11 am

asutrnr81 wrote:
PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:..... But, I will tell you that I made a lot of friends at this game and other games both before and after through this ground swale of support for App State and I wouldn't trade it for the world! Kick Apps!!!!!!! Feel free to post your day whether actually at the game or at home watching with friends.
To Friends like John Harris.....BHG! Honest to God would not know this guy if it were not for App State Football.....and it would be my loss!

APP
Good Doctor...back atcha! To others, its funny how this whole tailgate thing brings people together from all walks of life.. Yes I'm a little loud and obnoxious but if you're wearing app colors and stop by our tailgate at the Liberry deck...you're always welcome...I (we) won't bite. However, leave all talk of religion and politics at the the tent door cause we just party and share that black and gold fellowship. Damn!!!! Now I'm ready for some football!
My good friend Robert sent me this last night...somebody look familiar?

STATE!!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:34 am

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:
asutrnr81 wrote:
PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:..... But, I will tell you that I made a lot of friends at this game and other games both before and after through this ground swale of support for App State and I wouldn't trade it for the world! Kick Apps!!!!!!! Feel free to post your day whether actually at the game or at home watching with friends.
To Friends like John Harris.....BHG! Honest to God would not know this guy if it were not for App State Football.....and it would be my loss!

APP
Good Doctor...back atcha! To others, its funny how this whole tailgate thing brings people together from all walks of life.. Yes I'm a little loud and obnoxious but if you're wearing app colors and stop by our tailgate at the Liberry deck...you're always welcome...I (we) won't bite. However, leave all talk of religion and politics at the the tent door cause we just party and share that black and gold fellowship. Damn!!!! Now I'm ready for some football!
My good friend Robert sent me this last night...somebody look familiar?

STATE!!!
Can't wait to join you and CB on top of the Liberry deck in 10 days!!!
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:54 am

BHG, I was there with Marty and several other friends that great Saturday in Ann Arbor. You are always welcome at our tailgate in Duncan. Thanks for sharing your story.
Last edited by eggers76 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:11 pm

JGthatsme86 wrote:Long-time reader, but I rarely post...but I just have to here. Like others have mentioned, I consider this day one of the "Top 5 Days of my life" behind the birth of my 3 kids and my marriage. I was not originally planning to attend the game, when a friend and co-worker from Detroit called 2 weeks before the game to offer me seats. He is a Michigan alum and said he had 3 extra tickets in a "pretty good section" because his family couldn't make it, but asked if I had 3 friends from "Appy State" that might like to see a "real football stadium". I immediately accepted and decided to take a fellow alum from GSO and my son who was a sophomore in HS at the time. We went up on Friday night and I will admit that my son (who had just recently gotten his driver's license) was our DD around Ann Arbor as we took in that great college town.
We started tailgating with my UM buddy at 8:30 am the next morning in a big party area beside "The Big Blue School Bus", which was just awesome. The fans embraced our group and seemed to get a kick out of the fact that we had come all the way from NC for a "warm up game".
("Greensboro...is that near Myrtle Beach??")
When we got to the stadium, we were ushered to our seats...40 yrd line, row 20! We were in a huge sea of Blue & Gold, but it just so happened that there was an App family of 4 sitting right in front of us. I honestly wish to this day, I had gotten their names and contact info, because we had a fantastic day together! I had been to both prior NC games, which I will never forget...but this day was just perfect. In the second half, my buddy the UM grad left us in our seats and went to watch from another area because he was so frustrated. :lol:
My greatest memory of the day:
Late that evening, my son and I went back to our room at the Hampton Inn, sat in our beds eating pizza and watching several hours of recap footage on every major sports network. We both knew the historical significance of the day, and hearing that much national media coverage just confirmed it.

As an update to our story...my son graduated from App last spring, which was probably the 6th greatest day of my life!
Great story JG! I remember seeing you at the airport as we waited for the flight back and on our plane the pilot making an announcement about all the "APP State fans onboard" and the cheer that erupted when he did so.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:17 pm

Here goes Mine, may be long but here are my memories.
Drive up was pretty uneventful. Met a friend who had moved to Dayton, OH in AA and 4 of us went out in AA that night to some Irish Pub with a bunch of App fans. Several M fans commented on how many of us there were. Fun night.

Sat AM, took the hotel shuttle to the stadium with a couple players parents, just small chatter but excitement, ended up in the big donor parking lot with the RV’s, walking around. Everyone was really nice, I remember one older gentleman who had brought his classic mustang (had a kid doll dressed in M in the drivers seat and a kid doll dressed in App but this kid was in pouting position against the car). I remember him saying that he only worried about a team with speed.

In the stadium, I just remember thinking how OLD the place seemed, more tradition than awe (especially when they shook their keys for the “key play”) very small video screen and such. Entrance was cool, but again, pretty benign. They went down the field really easily running the ball and scored, think we all felt that was going to be it. Then Dexter on the slant, which was the theme of the day and away we go.

Halftime, stood in line at the PORT-A-JOHN, talkling to a M fan about the game both pretty much agreed that size would take over and they would come back, come to find out he lives in Gastonia and flies up one game a year with his son. Interesting!
I do remember seeing the Furman Sucks sign, that was great! The Coco catch was definitely a late hit, never seen a knuckle ball quite like the Rauch kick. I missed the Manningham catch/PI call as I sat with my face in my hands. I did see the block but did not believe it. Probably took until the team was on the field to figure out what happened. Bedlam in the stands and that is where I met PhillyApp!!

Stayed in the stadium for a good 30 mins just taking it all in with the App people, somehow made our way down to where the players were coming out to board the buses. I will never forget that for this victory each player got for lunch a KFC 2 piece meal with a bottle of Gatorade, sort of drove home the level of college athletics, but that scene was amazing with Dr. Peacock. He was like a kid running around.
Made our way back toward that same RV lot hoping to go downtown for food but were a little sheepish due to wearing our gear in that environment. Guy from above had switched the dolls, this time the App one was driving, M was pouting. Remember one guy we asked for directions and he insisted we drink his beer and eat grilled shrimp, talked to us for 30 or so mins, congratulated us and on our way. Next ran into a group who had parked at a house just behind the stadium, guy stopped us, more drinks, his son was at Ft. Bragg and very familiar with NC. The blow up pool in the front yard was great! All these people had nothing but great things to say, great afternoon!

Went out that night and encountered a few students who were a little, say, less gracious in the loss. After hearing the question about the 15th time, where is “Appalayshun St”., and correctly pronouncing it for them, I finally lost it and answered “In your end zone all afternoon.” But I digress.

Ride home- Got the old heave ho, wrist across the elbow from a 12 yr old while driving around the AA mall looking for a newspaper, hilarious. On the Ohio Tpk, a minivan with a mom in it all by herself flashing lights, honking the horn waving as she went past, Ohio State sticker on the window. Guy at the Pro Football HOF high fiving us on the way in, lots of Apps in there on Sunday. The reaction we got in the lobby at the Lonestar in Parkersburg, WV was great, almost a standing ovation, but the best was the reaction from the guy in the toll booth on 77 in WV about midnight on Sunday, he was beside himself.

Sorry for the length, but thanks for letting me relive these memories, the best parts outside of the game!

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:56 pm

I was there with my son. Incredible day. Many many memories. After the game we realized what it feels like to be famous. Literally a once in a lifetime experience.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:45 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:

My wife and I are there - right behind your head :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I think I'm in there somewhere up near the scoreboard....

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:29 pm

On Monday, my second daughter will turn seven years old. You do the math. 8-)
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

appgrunt71

Unread post by appgrunt71 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:30 pm

My son and I were at the game. It was truly a moment he and I will never forget.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”