Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Start Lamb

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Start Lamb

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:45 am

GoApps70 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
GoApps70 wrote:That was one reason we lost so many football games last year,
waiting to change QBs even though it was obvious. We need the
coaching staff to play the best QB and not try to keep doing the
same old crap they did last year. No doubt play Taylor Lamb. He
is by far the better QB.
So you are saying that the coaches are NOT playing the best QB? And how do you know this to be true? What qualifies you to make that determination?
Because I have eyes.
That has to be the most idiotic response to a post ever. And you yourself have set the bar pretty high. Good job!

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:58 am

It is too early to make that decision to change QBs IMHO. Bryant has earned the job and I don't think the coaches have reason to make that change yet. Lamb looked good (not against 1st team D though) on Saturday on some drives and it is great to know we have him for the future. Now let’s focus on beating Campbell. PS. I love night games in Boone!
Give Em Hell!!

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:05 am

Barring a miracle both QBs will see plenty of snaps vs Campbell.

The biggest issue we have is we don't play an opponent till Southern Miss that will show us how good or average we may be.

I know Kam, he is a great kid and leader at that. One of the better people we have representing our campus today, however, he doesn't have an FBS arm. He has been tentative to run ever since his ACL injury two years ago.

The main difference I notice in the two players is decision making. Kam takes a split second or two more & Taylor is crisp and decisive. Taylor also had the only running first down by a QB last week. Kam also has a much weaker arm, which takes away his ability to force balls into coverage.

I would play them two quarters each and keep Taylor ready. If Kam looks bad vs Southern Miss, we need Taylor ready to step in. It is a very winnable game for us.

I have seen some refer to Kam as winning the job in camp and that's fine and dandy but so did Ricky Fergerson the 2 previous years. How many games did he start?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:29 am

I don't doubt that Taylor has more upside and I don't disagree with what you are saying about either QB. However, your evaluation of TL is based on what we saw in2 series against a vanilla defense. Both QB's sustained long scoring drives against the same defensive looks. TL did not face the press coverage so we don't know how it would have turned out.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:44 am

AppSt94 wrote:
GoApps70 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
is by far the better QB.
So you are saying that the coaches are NOT playing the best QB? And how do you know this to be true? What qualifies you to make that determination?
Because I have eyes.
That has to be the most idiotic response to a post ever. And you yourself have set the bar pretty high. Good job!
Someone must care what you say, but certainly not me. Either you didn't watch the game or have poor observation abilities. It doesn't matter how well Kam did in preseason where he is not going to be hit. Game presence is something he just doesn't possess. Doubt many are going to sit back and wait for our starting QB to get better this year without saying something. Ruined our season last year.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:14 am

GoApps70 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
GoApps70 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
is by far the better QB.
Because I have eyes.
Someone must care what you say, but certainly not me. Either you didn't watch the game or have poor observation abilities. It doesn't matter how well Kam did in preseason where he is not going to be hit. Game presence is something he just doesn't possess. Doubt many are going to sit back and wait for our starting QB to get better this year without saying something. Ruined our season last year.
I saw the same game footage you saw. The difference is that I am smart enough to know that I didn't see everything. I have not watched the coaches film to understand why KB was late. There are many moving parts to a single play that have to go right to properly execute. To lay blame solely on the QB is not fair nor correct. You strike me as someone who measures the success of a team based solely on wins/losses. If that is the case, starting Lamb from here on out will not translate into a major difference in the win/loss record this year as you seem to think. You will be one of those guys calling for the benching of Lamb in a couple of years because the other guy passed YOUR eye test.

You never answered my initial question. (Shocker) Do you have experience coaching football, evaluating players at the college level or above?

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 am

He threw his first pass as a college QB from the opposing team's endzone for a first down. Drove his team 97 yards for a TD in front of 100K people. UM two deep are 3 or 4 star guys I guarantee you. Still better than most we will face this year. Give Lamb a shot!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:29 am

And what happens when he falters as he most assuredly will? He is a Freshmen and will struggle. I don't wish the kid to fail. I don't wish for either of them to fail. It just seems as though people are looking at that one drive and now he is the franchise. That is unfair to the kid. If he was THAT good coming out of high school he wouldn't be here. He has a decent situation to succeed in. A good OL and a good running game. But he will struggle at times and I can see this board turn on him. I think he deserves a shot but he has gotten shots and maybe he isn't quite ready. It's hard to say how he would have responded if the game was on the line backed up inside the 5. If he starts next week, kills Campbell and then is named the starter for the year, great. But if his starting at QB ends in a 4-6 record how will he be treated on here? I know that GoApps70 will call for his head. You want him to get a shot. Fair enough. All I can say is careful what you wish for.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:41 am

All of that is true. But we know what the current starter can do. Everyone else does as well. If we think that is good enough then stick with him. Otherwise I say throw Lamb out there and say this is the future. Yes you are correct it will be ugly at times. It is going to be ugly at times regardless of who is the starting QB. If people take away the 5 yards passes because they know these is no deep threat it will be plenty ugly. See UM game. I see this kid as someone the fan base can get behind.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:52 am

appbio91 wrote:All of that is true. But we know what the current starter can do. Everyone else does as well. If we think that is good enough then stick with him. Otherwise I say throw Lamb out there and say this is the future. Yes you are correct it will be ugly at times. It is going to be ugly at times regardless of who is the starting QB. If people take away the 5 yards passes because they know these is no deep threat it will be plenty ugly. See UM game. I see this kid as someone the fan base can get behind.
Fair points. When I talked to SS at the Yosef tour stop he talked highly of all of his QB's and he told me that KB was getting stronger. I don't know that KB can throw the deep ball yet because he didn't have time for the deep ball to develop. Here is something else to consider. The touchdown pass to McElfresh was a thing of beauty. It was put in the right spot where only McElfresh had a play and it had nice touch. I don't know the Lamb can do that because I did not see him try. Assumptions are being made based on what he did but what about the things we didn't see him do?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:51 am

You know the old adage that is a staple of most every college team this time of the year --- Who do the fans think is most popular player on your football team? ---
The Back-up QB --- :o
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:48 pm

jamesbo wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:The problem is not that KB is the starter. The problem is that Lamb is the backup. We will probably see this same thread two years from now. The only difference being that instead of it being titled "Start Lamb", it will say "Start Caruso". Mark it down.
I think you are right. However, I think it will be a certain mobile QB with two first names that may or may not be committed right now.

Having a serious big play run threat at QB is what you need for this offense to be truly successful.
Who is faster now if you lined them up in the 40, Kam or Taylor?
Who is less hesitant to run and pick up first downs?

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:01 pm

AppAttack wrote:
jamesbo wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:The problem is not that KB is the starter. The problem is that Lamb is the backup. We will probably see this same thread two years from now. The only difference being that instead of it being titled "Start Lamb", it will say "Start Caruso". Mark it down.
I think you are right. However, I think it will be a certain mobile QB with two first names that may or may not be committed right now.

Having a serious big play run threat at QB is what you need for this offense to be truly successful.
Who is faster now if you lined them up in the 40, Kam or Taylor?
Who is less hesitant to run and pick up first downs?
It's not inconceivable that going into fall camp '15 Kam is the fourth best QB on the roster. There are worse problems to have I suppose.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:43 pm

Hilarious. Simply hysterical. Saying that Lamb should not be given the starting QB position on what he did because we don't know what he didn't do.

Am sure both QBs will look good against Campbell. But it takes a hard fought game against an extremely tough opponent to determine which QB can lead us and which should not be leading us. We need our best chance of winning starting at Southern Miss, not keeping Kam starting just because he has in the past. That is not being fair to App State football fans or to Taylor Lamb. When coaches say the best QB will get the job, they should keep their word.
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:05 pm

They are .

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:07 pm

GoApps70 wrote:Hilarious. Simply hysterical. Saying that Lamb should not be given the starting QB position on what he did because we don't know what he didn't do.

Am sure both QBs will look good against Campbell. But it takes a hard fought game against an extremely tough opponent to determine which QB can lead us and which should not be leading us. We need our best chance of winning starting at Southern Miss, not keeping Kam starting just because he has in the past. That is not being fair to App State football fans or to Taylor Lamb. When coaches say the best QB will get the job, they should keep their word.
Got it. You know more than the coaches. Tell me again why you didn't get the job as the next Head Football Coach? Never mind. I know why. Because you know nothing about football. Now go sit in the corner, suck your thumb and pout because the coaches "lied" to you.
Last edited by AppSt94 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:46 pm

AppSt94 wrote:

You never answered my initial question. (Shocker) Do you have experience coaching football, evaluating players at the college level or above?
Sooooo, said experience is now required to voice an opinion here on MMB? :shock:

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:06 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Sooooo, said experience is now required to voice an opinion here on MMB? :shock:
Not at all. But if you have an opinion you should be able to back it up with some amount of valid information. The question was asked because the poster thinks he knows more than the coaches and I wanted to understand his qualifications to justify such a statement. The original poster stated that Lamb was better than Kam and that the coaches lied to said poster because they told him the best QB would play. Based on this statement, I assume that he knows Lamb to be better and therefore should be playing ahead of KB. I simply wanted to know if he had expertise on the matter.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:28 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
GreatAppSt wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Not at all. But if you have an opinion you should be able to back it up with some amount of valid information. The question was asked because the poster thinks he knows more than the coaches and I wanted to understand his qualifications to justify such a statement. The original poster stated that Lamb was better than Kam and that the coaches lied to said poster because they told him the best QB would play. Based on this statement, I assume that he knows Lamb to be better and therefore should be playing ahead of KB. I simply wanted to know if he had expertise on the matter.
We all know how little experience you have if you cannot even tell the difference between a good QB and one just as a place holder. What is your main sport - soccer? By your twisted definition only politicians should vote, or doctors receive surgery.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:55 pm

I posted his on the SunBeltBBS board as well.

I went to many of the practices this fall. Kam was the starter and should have been from day one. He looked the best and would make throws the others were afraid to.

However he looked completely different in game. Timid, a second late, relying on the 5-yard outs that he has to throw 25 yards to the sidelines. Lamb looked more like a QB. His first ever college pass was five yards deep in the end zone on 3rd and 15 and he got the first down.

Kam deserved to be the starter vs Michigan. That can't be pinned on the coaches in hindsight. Now they have game experience to look back on.

Both will play next week. We'll see them and vs USM.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”