Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Start Lamb

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: Start Lamb

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:45 pm

clemmonsapp wrote:I don't think it is fair to lay this at the feet of Bryant.

We were unprepared to face a press defense. This is a coaching problem. We prepared for a Michigan team that played almost exclusively zone. That was last years Michigan team. This years team, WITH A NEW DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR, pressed the receivers and brought pressure. The new coordinator came from Georgia - where he pressed the receivers and brought pressure. We played Georgia last year. How were we not prepared for this defense?

Lamb may be the better QB. That will work itself out.

We need to do our homework and prepare for the appropriate scheme
They had a new Offensive coordinator but I believe the defensive guy has been there for a couple of years ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appbio91
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by appbio91 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:17 pm

We were unprepared to face a press defense. This is a coaching problem. We prepared for a Michigan team that played almost exclusively zone. That was last years Michigan team. This years team, WITH A NEW DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR, pressed the receivers and brought pressure. The new coordinator came from Georgia - where he pressed the receivers and brought pressure. We played Georgia last year. How were we not prepared for this defense?

They knew what our QB's strength was...that is why they played that type of D.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:22 pm

appbio91 wrote:

That probably had something to do with it. But also our receivers were young and smaller and would have a difficult time getting off the line. I would say that Hoke figured that our running game was our strength. Playing press coverage eliminated the need to cover zones which would free up the safeties for run support.

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:35 pm

A lot of this discussion is taking place because Kam isn't "sexy". He isn't particularly big or fast. He does not have a strong arm -- cannot throw the deep ball. He's just not the exciting QB that we've had in the recent past. He was a decent filler for the injured JJ in a meaningless season, but especially now that we've moved up, people want more. They want a I-A quarterback. Maybe Lamb's the guy, maybe he's not. Let's find out before it's too late (like last year). Sound right?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:29 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
rbarthle17 wrote:This thread has finally driven me over the edge. I'm going to say something I thought I'd never say:

I miss Doug Glenn.
I bet you do, FWIW Appman on the 24/7 board hasn't seen enough to think Lamb should start, yet.

It took him quite awhile to see that Armanti should replace Trey, if you recall.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:21 pm

UGA D-coordinator, Grantham, went to Louisville and the folks in Athens couldn't have been happier to get rid of him. As others have pointed out, the Offensive Coordinator did change this year and he came to UM from Alabama - where he held the same position. Loose, but perhaps the SEC tie you are thinking of.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 am

Same D Coordinator as you have in CAPS... going into his 4th year at UM. Make sure your right before going to CAPS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Mattison
As has been stated they have a new OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR. Egg meet face.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:37 am

AppSt94 wrote:
appbio91 wrote:

That probably had something to do with it. But also our receivers were young and smaller and would have a difficult time getting off the line. I would say that Hoke figured that our running game was our strength. Playing press coverage eliminated the need to cover zones which would free up the safeties for run support.
Very good point on the WRs - and more of a plus for Kam - UM knew what his passing numbers were last year and saw where he completed close to 75% of his passes - his top 2 receivers are in the NFL - top offensive threat returning is at RB - good game planning by UM with their NFL caliber corners - None of which is a knock on any of our players as some seem to think --- :?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:24 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appbio91 wrote:

Very good point on the WRs - and more of a plus for Kam - UM knew what his passing numbers were last year and saw where he completed close to 75% of his passes - his top 2 receivers are in the NFL - top offensive threat returning is at RB - good game planning by UM with their NFL caliber corners - None of which is a knock on any of our players as some seem to think --- :?
I agree. All summer the majority of discussion on this board has been about how our 2 biggest areas of concern were the receivers and defensive backs. The 2 areas we had the least experience. Obviously, Michigan did a good job scouting our team and exploiting our weaknesses.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:25 am

Michigan scouted us and treated us like they would a conference opponent during their prep week, something FBS programs haven't done while we were an FCS opponent. We better get used to that treatment.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:37 am

Saint3333 wrote:Michigan scouted us and treated us like they would a conference opponent during their prep week, something FBS programs haven't done while we were an FCS opponent. We better get used to that treatment.
I have long thought that the 2007 was a perfect storm for Michigan. Under Lloyd Carr they always played closer games in the opener than they should have been. Those Michigan defenses struggled with spread teams. They vastly underestimated our speed and panicked when we kept scoring. All of this was hindsight of course.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:00 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:Michigan scouted us and treated us like they would a conference opponent during their prep week, something FBS programs haven't done while we were an FCS opponent. We better get used to that treatment.
I have long thought that the 2007 was a perfect storm for Michigan. Under Lloyd Carr they always played closer games in the opener than they should have been. Those Michigan defenses struggled with spread teams. They vastly underestimated our speed and panicked when we kept scoring. All of this was hindsight of course.
And that same UM team beat a Tebow Florida team in their bowl the same season, they must have learned a little from APP and the spread, because UM won..
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:05 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appbio91 wrote:

Lest we forget that Kam did not turn the ball over against a very good defense.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:17 pm

It seems almost every post has made good points about the pros and cons of each quarterback, although a couple might have gotten less than civil in making their points . I'd wager that in the end we all want the same things from whichever choice the staff makes, that being that he exhibit a good work ethic, can be a positive leader for the team, show good sportsmanship, lead the team in consistently moving the ball, and lastly make us a winner on the field and off.
End of sermon. ;)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:49 pm

NewApp wrote:It seems almost every post has made good points about the pros and cons of each quarterback, although a couple might have gotten less than civil in making their points . I'd wager that in the end we all want the same things from whichever choice the staff makes, that being that he exhibit a good work ethic, can be a positive leader for the team, show good sportsmanship, lead the team in consistently moving the ball, and lastly make us a winner on the field and off.
End of sermon. ;)
I agree. If Bryant remains the starter, I will be rooting that I'm proven wrong. In the end, I just want to win, or have the product on the field that gives us the best chance at winning.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

vegattk

Unread post by vegattk » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:52 pm

You know... It sure would be nice to go into a season knowing the starter is truly the best person for the job. How many years have we done this in a row??
One game does not a postseason make.
More App Games > Less App Games

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:54 pm

vegattk wrote:You know... It sure would be nice to go into a season knowing the starter is truly the best person for the job. How many years have we done this in a row??
Two?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:09 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
vegattk wrote:You know... It sure would be nice to go into a season knowing the starter is truly the best person for the job. How many years have we done this in a row??
Two?
So who do you think was and is the best person?

appstate2007

Unread post by appstate2007 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:43 pm

Hello all, new to this site but being a past app grade I saw it and had to join in.
In regards to Lamb starting, I have to say that I had those same thoughts when I saw him drive the team down the field Saturday. I asked myself (where has this guy been all day)? But I am sure that the coaches that see Lamb and Bryant everyday know much better then me as far as who is more ready for the SBC play this year. Maybe Lamb is the future, maybe not, IDK but I do know that our team did not look very good at all on Saturday. I really expected to see a better game. I honestly did not think we would win again (just knowing that they are going to play over their heads to beat us this time). But I did expect at least a showing on our part and I feel like that did not happen until the 2nd half when Lamb came in the game. Say what you will about it being against their 2nd string or what ever but in all honestly their 2nd string is still more than likely better their our first string so Lamb still played real good and out played Bryant.

APPSTATE-H3

Unread post by APPSTATE-H3 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:49 pm

Let them both get reps with the first team on Saturday and then make a decision.
APPSTATE

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”