Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Start Lamb

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Start Lamb

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:12 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Appftw wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
Appftw wrote:I stand by my original sentiment. Caruso will be better than Lamb anyways, so get ready to see 2 QBs on Saturday and next year as well.
WHAT?!

You think it's absurd to evaluate Lamb after a single game and opine that he should be starting, yet you've never seen Caruso practice, you have nothing but a high school highlight tape to gauge him, and you're proclaiming him better than Lamb??

:lol:
If I had made a "Start Caruso" thread immediately after the spring game (he actually played better than KB because he had a smaller sample size just like Lamb at Michigan), then maybe your "WHAT?!" would be warranted. Once again, your tendency to wildly exaggerate undermines your point.

As far as stepping in poo, no one knows more about that than the infamous Gonzo. You should stick to heckling UNCC players on twitter rather than presuming to be more knowledgeable than the "chessmaster" and his staff.
Gotta love personal attacks. The mark of the defeated.

19 people were so impressed by Lamb that they came here to talk about making the switch. Many more were impressed enough to entertain an open competition, which is what we ultimately saw. Only one of those people is me.

As we will see Saturday, the "chessmaster" has sided with the masses in this thread. The "absurd" and "laughably stupid" idea took a mere 2 weeks (one week with no game and another against a glorified inter-mural team) for the boss to officially make the switch. The guy who bears the responsibility of the decision drew a conclusion that you STILL find absurd. He gave Lamb half the game the very next week after Michgan, and started practicing him with the ones right after. You're the one that presumes to know more than Satterfield if you're still trying to convince yourself that the idea was absurd after week one.
If personal attacks are signs of the defeated then you are defeated most of the time.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Coach Satterfield still disagrees according to the depth chart for So. Miss.

http://www.appstatesports.com/pdf9/2818 ... M_ID=21500

The issue is not that you believe Lamb is better 3 weeks after the fact. The issue is that you posted this mere minutes after the first game hence the "knee-jerk absurdity".

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:16 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
Gonzo wrote:I just went back through the thread. I didn't include people who were unsure and wanted to see more competetion to decide (all of whom would agree that this was a fair question now and at the time), but those who formed an opinion and posted it in this thread broke down as follows:

Pro:
Gonzo
Bcoach
BeauFoster
App72
AppinVA
AppAttack
SixToes
AppSt89
Yosef10
ASU1978
TractorApp
WataugaMan
AppARJ
TheAnnoyingPeasant
Rick0714
AppBio91
GoApps70
App91
Appbio91

Anti:
WVAppeer
AppSt94
AppDaze
Hapapp (Still seemed a bit undecided)
Clayton
Appftw

That's 19-6 (76%) of those who voiced a clear favorite after week one with another large group eager to debate the topic and decide after another week of evaluation. Not quite 90%, but a clear majority to say the least.

The most absurd thing posted in this thread is that the very question of our starting QB after week one was absurd.

Gonzo, why are you leaving a PRO brother out?
:o

So sorry. I'm not redoing the math though.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:22 pm

Appftw wrote:Coach Satterfield still disagrees according to the depth chart for So. Miss.

The issue is not that you believe Lamb is better 3 weeks after the fact. The issue is that you posted this mere minutes after the first game hence the "knee-jerk absurdity".
For me it goes back to last year. I didn't like his lack of mobility and arm strength in 2013, so when we had a QB show up after just one game that showed both mobility and arm strength and is younger combined with the fact we are not bowl eligible I ALSO said start the kid with more talent that had a better chance at being our future. Will Lamb be the answer.....who knows but 1 season and 2 games in I KNOW Kam isn't. No arm, limited mobility and most troubling, not much in the leadership department either, I have yet to see him fire up this team either on the field or in a game and will them to want to win.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:32 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
Appftw wrote:Coach Satterfield still disagrees according to the depth chart for So. Miss.

For me it goes back to last year. I didn't like his lack of mobility and arm strength in 2013, so when we had a QB show up after just one game that showed both mobility and arm strength and is younger combined with the fact we are not bowl eligible I ALSO said start the kid with more talent that had a better chance at being our future. Will Lamb be the answer.....who knows but 1 season and 2 games in I KNOW Kam isn't. No arm, limited mobility and most troubling, not much in the leadership department either, I have yet to see him fire up this team either on the field or in a game and will them to want to win.
Sorry Patch but I just don't know how you or anyone else on this board could possibly know if Kam is a leader or not - unless you are at practice every day and in the locker room you can't know --- when I was coaching one of the top leaders I ever had in all the years, rarely said a word during the game or on the sidelines, BUT he was unquestionably the leader!!! ---
Also people have not given Kam credit for breaking the all-time school record for passing percentage with only 4 INTs on a 4 win team. He is smart and rarely makes mistakes !!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:52 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:

Sorry Patch but I just don't know how you or anyone else on this board could possibly know if Kam is a leader or not - unless you are at practice every day and in the locker room you can't know --- when I was coaching one of the top leaders I ever had in all the years, rarely said a word during the game or on the sidelines, BUT he was unquestionably the leader!!! ---
Also people have not given Kam credit for breaking the all-time school record for passing percentage with only 4 INTs on a 4 win team. He is smart and rarely makes mistakes !!!

So I was only able to go back to 08 on appstatesports.com, so thats Armanti (2years), Pressley(2 years), Jackson(2years). All averaged at least 1 to 2 yards more per completion. So of course his completion % was high, no one would argue that. If you are constantly throwing the ball short(do to a lack of arm strength) you SHOULD complete a higher %. You also allow the defense to stack the box and I would had loved to have seen what Cox could have done with at least some form of a deep ball to push the safeties back.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:41 pm

WV, I'm not on the start Lamb train at this point although I am a fan of both he and Kam battling for the starting spot. If I was forced to make a decision right now, I feel Lamb has a higher ceiling based on the limited action I've seen him in. I believe our fans have given Kam some credit for his accomplishment but I'd like to see a breakdown of his completed passes thrown less than 5, 10, 15 and 20 yards. Completing 70%+ of your passes is impressive no matter the distance but that seems to be the knock on Kam is that he can't stretch the field with his arm.

As for Kam rarely making turnover mistakes, there's no denying it. However, I see holding onto the ball to long and locking onto 1 player and not making it through his progressions as mistakes, albeit correctable ones. Saturday night, each of these guys have a chance to solidify their position. Let's hope they make the most of their PT and ensure Coach Satt has a difficult decision.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:04 pm

moonshine wrote:WV, I'm not on the start Lamb train at this point although I am a fan of both he and Kam battling for the starting spot. If I was forced to make a decision right now, I feel Lamb has a higher ceiling based on the limited action I've seen him in. I believe our fans have given Kam some credit for his accomplishment but I'd like to see a breakdown of his completed passes thrown less than 5, 10, 15 and 20 yards. Completing 70%+ of your passes is impressive no matter the distance but that seems to be the knock on Kam is that he can't stretch the field with his arm.

As for Kam rarely making turnover mistakes, there's no denying it. However, I see holding onto the ball to long and locking onto 1 player and not making it through his progressions as mistakes, albeit correctable ones. Saturday night, each of these guys have a chance to solidify their position. Let's hope they make the most of their PT and ensure Coach Satt has a difficult decision.
Shine - I have no problems with your thoughts and probably agree with you more than not but there are a couple of points to which I would add some thoughts --- Short passes have been our staple going back to Richie and Devon Fowlkes - How many of Armanti's TD passes were short passes taken the distance by the receiver? Last year our top 2 receivers were Washington and Peacock (as we all know are both in the NFL) they were not deep threats and our opponents knew that as well and they still caught 142 passes + Marcus had 43 out of the backfield. So many (not me) claimed our OL sucked terribly last year so if that were the case how would Kam have time to go through his progressions? -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:04 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:

So I was only able to go back to 08 on appstatesports.com, so thats Armanti (2years), Pressley(2 years), Jackson(2years). All averaged at least 1 to 2 yards more per completion. So of course his completion % was high, no one would argue that. If you are constantly throwing the ball short(do to a lack of arm strength) you SHOULD complete a higher %. You also allow the defense to stack the box and I would had loved to have seen what Cox could have done with at least some form of a deep ball to push the safeties back.
So your argument against the KB not being able to throw the long ball is because he averages 1 and 2 yards less per completion?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:09 pm

For the record, on the season they are both averaging 11.5 yards per completion. Kam has the experience edge, Taylor is the more mobile of the two. I think it would be interesting to see how Taylor handles starting rather than coming in with the game is either in hand or out. I do believe if we want to get a true picture of the two, Taylor should get a start.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:25 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:

So your argument against the KB not being able to throw the long ball is because he averages 1 and 2 yards less per completion?
Thats simply a stat to back up what anyone who has played or watched the game long enough to tell you, Kam lacks Division 1 arm strength.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:27 pm

hapapp wrote:For the record, on the season they are both averaging 11.5 yards per completion. Kam has the experience edge, Taylor is the more mobile of the two. I think it would be interesting to see how Taylor handles starting rather than coming in with the game is either in hand or out. I do believe if we want to get a true picture of the two, Taylor should get a start.
Correct and one is currently doing it at a much higher rate than the other. I think your correct on giving Taylor a start. If he continues to outplay Kam with and against all starters at the FBS level then the competition is over.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:37 pm

hapapp wrote:For the record, on the season they are both averaging 11.5 yards per completion. Kam has the experience edge, Taylor is the more mobile of the two. I think it would be interesting to see how Taylor handles starting rather than coming in with the game is either in hand or out. I do believe if we want to get a true picture of the two, Taylor should get a start.
I have no inside info therefore I have no idea what the thoughts of the coaches might be - maybe some on this board would like to see Lamb start so they could compare - Not sure the coaches need to do that - they see them every day!!! - If the coaches determine Lamb is the man, I am with the coaches 100%, if they continue to feel Kam is the man I am with that 100% as well ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:43 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
Thats simply a stat to back up what anyone who has played or watched the game long enough to tell you, Kam lacks Division 1 arm strength.
We are going to have to agree to disagree. Call me crazy but if a guy completes 72% of his passes and doesn't turn the ball over then he is doing something right.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:00 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:

As a pro-Start Lamb guy, I must say that Kam is absolutely a leader on this team. The guys respect him and value what he says.

As for your other points, the one element of Kam's game that scares me the most is his slow decision making. He's a one look QB. Can't find anything down field? Chuck it to the sideline for a 3-5 yard gain.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Lamb has practiced with the first team this and last week. Even yesterday he started off with the 1s.

However, the depth chart this week still lists Kam as QB1.

The QB situation is intriguing because Satt has no blatantly negative reason to bench Kam. Further, there's not an overtly POSITIVE reason (to us amateurs on MMB, anyway). Sure, Kam’s thrown some TDs, has only 1 INT and for the most part has taken good care of the ball.

The only reason the coaches would have for starting Taylor is because they believe he gives us the best chance to win. There would be no "Kam hasn't been playing up to our standards" or "Kam isn't taking care of the ball" to fall back on like with JLJ last year.

As Gonzo just documented, I am in favor of starting Lamb. Kam is a fine QB but I believe after a full season, we've seen his ceiling. Does anyone want to claim Kam is significantly better than he’s shown thus far?

If people on this board are honest, I think they’ll admit that Lamb has a higher ceiling. My personal opinion is that Lamb is at least AS good as Kam currently. There’s no shame in admitting that either. Taylor was a highly recruited QB in high school that has been touted as the future leader of our offense. There's no better time for Taylor to try to reach his potential than right now.

Again – I’m not pulling for any ONE player. I want the team to succeed. If Kam stays our starter all year because he’s the best QB – so be it and go Kam,
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:05 pm

APPARJ wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:

As a pro-Start Lamb guy, I must say that Kam is absolutely a leader on this team. The guys respect him and value what he says.

As for your other points, the one element of Kam's game that scares me the most is his slow decision making. He's a one look QB. Can't find anything down field? Chuck it to the sideline for a 3-5 yard gain.
Split the difference and call it a 4 yard gain. 3 of those equals a 1st down.

johnoralex

Unread post by johnoralex » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:08 pm

I'm not trying to argue either way, but we also have to remember Kam was throwing to tony, andrew, and marcus last year. In kams defense against Michigan, I did see a few dropped passes.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:19 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:

Split the difference and call it a 4 yard gain. 3 of those equals a 1st down.
Clearly I "misspoke."

"Check it to the sideline for a 3-5 yard attempt."
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:21 pm

APPARJ wrote:Lamb has practiced with the first team this and last week. Even yesterday he started off with the 1s.

However, the depth chart this week still lists Kam as QB1.

The QB situation is intriguing because Satt has no blatantly negative reason to bench Kam. Further, there's not an overtly POSITIVE reason (to us amateurs on MMB, anyway). Sure, Kam’s thrown some TDs, has only 1 INT and for the most part has taken good care of the ball.

The only reason the coaches would have for starting Taylor is because they believe he gives us the best chance to win. There would be no "Kam hasn't been playing up to our standards" or "Kam isn't taking care of the ball" to fall back on like with JLJ last year.

As Gonzo just documented, I am in favor of starting Lamb. Kam is a fine QB but I believe after a full season, we've seen his ceiling. Does anyone want to claim Kam is significantly better than he’s shown thus far?

If people on this board are honest, I think they’ll admit that Lamb has a higher ceiling. My personal opinion is that Lamb is at least AS good as Kam currently. There’s no shame in admitting that either. Taylor was a highly recruited QB in high school that has been touted as the future leader of our offense. There's no better time for Taylor to try to reach his potential than right now.

Again – I’m not pulling for any ONE player. I want the team to succeed. If Kam stays our starter all year because he’s the best QB – so be it and go Kam,
Excellent post. Since I have been labeled anti-Lamb, I will play the other side. I agree that Lamb has a higher ceiling. I also agree that Lamb has that it factor. He looks like a ball player and he has great poise. All understandable as a coaches son. But I go back to the fact that KB won the job in camp. Here is something else to consider, it was suggested that JPC looked better in camp than the other two. If that is the case and JPC wasn't being red shirted then would Lamb even be in the conversation? Another thing that grinds my gears is that there has been mention that some are waiting for a recruit with two first names coming in here and being better than all of them. The fact that some people are talking about a kid in high school being better than what we have now scares the hell out of me. If a kid 4 games into his senior season of HS is better than what we have then why are we so concerned about winning now? Many folks pointed out how competitive we were against Georgia last year for two quarters. So were we competitive despite the QB play. KB manages the game. Is he Armanti? Not even close. Is he DP? Nope. The name of the game is to outscore your opponent by 1 and you win. To put yourself in a position to win, you have to win the turnover game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”