Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Start Lamb

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Start Lamb

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:37 am

EastHallApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:KB manages the game. Is he Armanti? Not even close. Is he DP? Nope. The name of the game is to outscore your opponent by 1 and you win. To put yourself in a position to win, you have to win the turnover game.
Can't remember exactly which games he started last year, but Bryant's record as a starter is something like 5-7, with all but a couple of those vs. FCS. So the "just win" metric isn't all that favorable for him.
In all fairness last year was abysmal from all points. New coach, cleaning house, young team, new defense scheme with players that weren't necessarily recruited for that defense, Senior QB struggling with recovery from knee surgery. Add the fact there wasn't the championship carrot hanging in front of them. Given all of these factors, I think it quite unfair to point to the record as being Kam's fault.
I agree, I think you have to look at each player's overall performance. I just read your post as saying that Bryant has some sort of particular skill for winning games, which I don't think has been borne out in the results. Sorry if I misinterpreted.
No worries. I never said that Kam had the skills to win a game. I said that he manages the game by taking care of the ball. Lamb "may" possess the skills to win games but there has not been a sufficient amount of game work to make such a claim at this time. Yes he did lead a 97 yard drive on his first series of the year but he didn't HAVE to do it. There is a different kind of pressure when the game is on the line and we don't really know how he would respond.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:02 am

Breaking news............. I'LL BE THE STARTING QB TOMORROW NIGHT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had to do something to make everyone laugh... :lol: :lol: :lol: ... I'm even laughing at the thought of me even being on the field at this point in my life.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go Apps!!!! Let's have some fun tomorrow night and WIN WIN WIN!!!!

APP
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:41 am

AppState89 wrote:Breaking news............. I'LL BE THE STARTING QB TOMORROW NIGHT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had to do something to make everyone laugh... :lol: :lol: :lol: ... I'm even laughing at the thought of me even being on the field at this point in my life.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

APP
So that was the reason for the mad rush to the prediction thread!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding :lol:

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:47 am

What good is all this speculation? Does anyone think the staff is going to read this board to determine who is going to start at QB? ;)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:51 am

I say we start Linda Lovelace . She may have blown a few along the way but never choked on a big one . :D

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:54 am

MDaniels84 wrote:I say we start Linda Lovelace . She may have blown a few along the way but never choked on a big one . :D
:oops:

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:56 am

MDaniels84 wrote:I say we start Linda Lovelace . She may have blown a few along the way but never choked on a big one . :D
Are you the guy who manages the ULL twitter? :lol:

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:04 am

firemoose wrote:Just going to throw this one out there since I haven't said much in this debate.

With Hallock out we are down to two active QB's getting ready to start a full FBS slate (minus Liberty). We need both QB's to be starter ready. As much as people say this is an important game in fact, as far as the Sun Belt goes and the one championship we are really eligible for this year (unless something crazy happens and the Belt doesn't have enough Bowl eligible teams to fill the commit bowls), this game against a CUSA opponent doesn't mean anything except conference to conference bragging rights. Looking at it from a purely football standpoint why not start Lamb so we can get a measure of how he handles a start against FBS 1's. Good a time as any and really the last chance for an FBS start before we're playing Sun Belt teams. And for those who say it could put doubt in Kam's head, the fact that TL came in so early against Campbell and that Satt anounced that it was going to happen would already say that, to a point. If I were Satt I would have sat them down after it was known that Hallock was done and said "We're down to you two and I need both of you ready to start. We're playing a full FBS slate and chances are someone is going to get dinged up. So this week Taylor, you're going to start and see how you do. Kam, you'll be playing also but I need to see Taylor in game conditions against FBS 1's".

Truth is we need BOTH ready to play so we can hope we don't have to pull the shirt off Caruso. And for Daniel David, even though I consider him a very solid commit, anything can happen in the 4 1/2 months until signing day. I'll never count anyone until that NLI is signed, sealed, and delivered (or faxed in).
Firemoose, do you have any idea as to what our plans are if both active QB's go down? Does a red-shirted player get to dress out for a game without affecting his status?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:24 am

NewApp wrote: Firemoose, do you have any idea as to what our plans are if both active QB's go down? Does a red-shirted player get to dress out for a game without affecting his status?
Not Moose obviously, but I can answer at least the second one - yes, a player can dress out and retain his redshirt, so long as he doesn't actually play in the game.

To your first question, my guess is that if by some chance we lost Lamb and Bryant for an extended period, and relatively early in the season, Caruso would be in there. If we're just talking about a quarter here or there, OR if, say, both stayed healthy until there was only a game or two left in the season, my personal guess is we'd move someone from a different position who played QB in high school in order to preserve Caruso's RS.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:44 am

AppSt94 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:KB manages the game. Is he Armanti? Not even close. Is he DP? Nope. The name of the game is to outscore your opponent by 1 and you win. To put yourself in a position to win, you have to win the turnover game.
Can't remember exactly which games he started last year, but Bryant's record as a starter is something like 5-7, with all but a couple of those vs. FCS. So the "just win" metric isn't all that favorable for him.
In all fairness last year was abysmal from all points. New coach, cleaning house, young team, new defense scheme with players that weren't necessarily recruited for that defense, Senior QB struggling with recovery from knee surgery. Add the fact there wasn't the championship carrot hanging in front of them. Given all of these factors, I think it quite unfair to point to the record as being Kam's fault.
I agree, I think you have to look at each player's overall performance. I just read your post as saying that Bryant has some sort of particular skill for winning games, which I don't think has been borne out in the results. Sorry if I misinterpreted.
No worries. I never said that Kam had the skills to win a game. I said that he manages the game by taking care of the ball. Lamb "may" possess the skills to win games but there has not been a sufficient amount of game work to make such a claim at this time. Yes he did lead a 97 yard drive on his first series of the year but he didn't HAVE to do it. There is a different kind of pressure when the game is on the line and we don't really know how he would respond.
Fair point that there has been extremely limited game time action from Lamb to make a claim that he's better. But who decided what the "sufficient amount" is? Yes, Lamb has hardly played but from that limited time, I do believe he's the QB we need. I and everyone that wants Lamb as a starter could be very wrong because, again, he's had such a small sample of playing time.

Also, do we have an accurate view of how Kam would respond when the game is on the line? I saw him come up VERY small vs. very poor Furman and Citadel teams which we could've easily beaten. My only point is that while it's fair to say "We don't know how Taylor would react when the game is on the line", I think it's also fair to say "I've seen Kam when the game is on the line and it's not a very high threshold to meet."

Again, go Kam, go Taylor, go App!
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:47 am

EastHallApp wrote:
NewApp wrote: Firemoose, do you have any idea as to what our plans are if both active QB's go down? Does a red-shirted player get to dress out for a game without affecting his status?
Not Moose obviously, but I can answer at least the second one - yes, a player can dress out and retain his redshirt, so long as he doesn't actually play in the game.

To your first question, my guess is that if by some chance we lost Lamb and Bryant for an extended period, and relatively early in the season, Caruso would be in there. If we're just talking about a quarter here or there, OR if, say, both stayed healthy until there was only a game or two left in the season, my personal guess is we'd move someone from a different position who played QB in high school in order to preserve Caruso's RS.
I'm not Moose either - :D - but he and I have discussed this on several occasions and what East says pretty much ties in with mine and Moose's thoughts - Again, all need to keep in mind that YES we all want to win every game but the only thing that "matters" this season is a shot at the SB Championship - if that goal is not a possibly late in the season and both Kam and Lamb are banged up we think we will see a heavy dose of Wildcat and not take the RS off Caruso ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:11 am

AppState89 wrote:Breaking news............. I'LL BE THE STARTING QB TOMORROW NIGHT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

APP
Is it too late to change my prediction in the prediction thread? Sorry 89 but I just havent seen you in enough game action to think we still have a legit shot in this one. Any youtube clips of you besides this one?
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:59 am

APPARJ wrote: Fair point that there has been extremely limited game time action from Lamb to make a claim that he's better. But who decided what the "sufficient amount" is? Yes, Lamb has hardly played but from that limited time, I do believe he's the QB we need. I and everyone that wants Lamb as a starter could be very wrong because, again, he's had such a small sample of playing time.

Also, do we have an accurate view of how Kam would respond when the game is on the line? I saw him come up VERY small vs. very poor Furman and Citadel teams which we could've easily beaten. My only point is that while it's fair to say "We don't know how Taylor would react when the game is on the line", I think it's also fair to say "I've seen Kam when the game is on the line and it's not a very high threshold to meet."

I don't doubt that people saw the potential for Lamb in that first game. He looked to have poise and presence. You are correct that it is up to the individual to decide when they have seen enough to make a decision. However, it wasn't clear to some of us how some could determine that we are starting the wrong QB two series into the season considering both players were not judged on equal level.
To use your examples of Kam under pressure. We lost to The Citadel sure but it was Kam's first game as a starter and he did lead a 79 yard touchdown drive late in the 4th quarter to tie the game. The Furman game was a total team loss. The offense outgained Furman but also had 5 turnovers (two fumbles by KB, 2 fumbles by Cox and a pick six by Peacock). It would be tough to beat anyone when you commit 5 TO's.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:14 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
APPARJ wrote: Fair point that there has been extremely limited game time action from Lamb to make a claim that he's better. But who decided what the "sufficient amount" is? Yes, Lamb has hardly played but from that limited time, I do believe he's the QB we need. I and everyone that wants Lamb as a starter could be very wrong because, again, he's had such a small sample of playing time.

I don't doubt that people saw the potential for Lamb in that first game. He looked to have poise and presence. You are correct that it is up to the individual to decide when they have seen enough to make a decision. However, it wasn't clear to some of us how some could determine that we are starting the wrong QB two series into the season considering both players were not judged on equal level.
To use your examples of Kam under pressure. We lost to The Citadel sure but it was Kam's first game as a starter and he did lead a 79 yard touchdown drive late in the 4th quarter to tie the game. The Furman game was a total team loss. The offense outgained Furman but also had 5 turnovers (two fumbles by KB, 2 fumbles by Cox and a pick six by Peacock). It would be tough to beat anyone when you commit 5 TO's.
I was at that Furman game. When Peacock threw that pick-6 I went absolutely nuts. That entire game was a giant blooper reel.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:45 pm

AppSt94 wrote:In all fairness last year was abysmal from all points. New coach, cleaning house, young team, new defense scheme with players that weren't necessarily recruited for that defense, Senior QB struggling with recovery from knee surgery. Add the fact there wasn't the championship carrot hanging in front of them. Given all of these factors, I think it quite unfair to point to the record as being Kam's fault.
Bingo....It's Kam's fault we won four. Without him we would not have won those!

I think his mom is the one who needs to start somewhere on our team....I went to all of the away games a year ago and I can clearly say: That is one tough lady to listen to the crap people said about her kid and NEVER utter a sound. IMO...we need to be really careful!

JP Caruso is not ready IMO....He may have the strongest arm but he is a long way from being ready to play.....but his is one mis-step away from being our back-up QB. Buckle-up
Go APPS!

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Just curious, but will Hallock have a red shirt avalable to him if he would like to play next year? I would think he would since he was hurt in the second game of the season. Seems like a really good kid and I wish him all the best.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:12 pm

TractorApp wrote:Just curious, but will Hallock have a red shirt avalable to him if he would like to play next year? I would think he would since he was hurt in the second game of the season. Seems like a really good kid and I wish him all the best.

Being that far down the depth chart makes it a very tough decision unless he plans to work on a graduate degree.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:11 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:

APP
Is it too late to change my prediction in the prediction thread? Sorry 89 but I just havent seen you in enough game action to think we still have a legit shot in this one. Any youtube clips of you besides this one?

Damn......I ain't that big...LOLOLOL :lol: :lol:
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:35 pm

asutrnr81 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:In all fairness last year was abysmal from all points. New coach, cleaning house, young team, new defense scheme with players that weren't necessarily recruited for that defense, Senior QB struggling with recovery from knee surgery. Add the fact there wasn't the championship carrot hanging in front of them. Given all of these factors, I think it quite unfair to point to the record as being Kam's fault.

I think his mom is the one who needs to start somewhere on our team....I went to all of the away games a year ago and I can clearly say: That is one tough lady to listen to the crap people said about her kid and NEVER utter a sound. IMO...we need to be really careful!
If you are the parent of a pitcher or a QB you better have thick skin.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:55 am

appbio91 wrote:
asutrnr81 wrote:

If you are the parent of a pitcher or a QB you better have thick skin.
OR - the wife of a coach ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”