Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

For what it's worth

midlandchip
School: Central Michigan

For what it's worth

Unread post by midlandchip » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:06 pm

I attended the game on Saturday and sat with all the other App State fans. And I proudly wore my App State hat for that day. I was disappointed for sure but going in I in no way was expecting to see a repeat of the 2007 game. I was expecting a big loss because my experience in the MidAmerican Conference was telling me it was very likely a big loss was going to happen. All of the Michigan fans I spoke with were not concerned and were expecting a big win as well.

I broke out the past records for the performance of MAC teams against Michigan since 2003 and this is what I found. MAC teams have played Michigan 16 times from 2003 to present. The record is MAC 1 and Michigan 15. The average score has been MAC 13-Michigan 38. The one MAC win was by Toledo in 2008. Along the way, there have been several blowouts. Central Michigan, my school, has played Michigan three times and lost all three by scores of 17-41, 7-45 and 9-59.

Despite all the losses, some were BIG losses, MAC schools are not going to drop football and CMU isn't going to move down to FCS - the sky is not falling. When you go up against a program that spends five, six or even seven times as much money on athletics as you do you don't really expect to win if you are being honest with yourself. You want to play to win but most of the time that is not going to happen. These are money games folks, that's really what it comes down to. Once in a while we (MAC and SunBelt) get a win but it's pretty uncommon.

App State's win over Michigan in 2007 was truly one of the greatest upsets in college football history. Those come along once in a lifetime. It was an event all of us will remember for the rest of our lives. The loss yesterday, although disappointing, was really expected by most folks and does not represent anything close to a big setback for App State football or the image of the university. It's a long season, many more games have to be played. The Michigan game was just one game. Now it's on to Campbell and then Southern Miss.
And watch out for Southern Miss. That could be another tough one.

For what it's worth.

MidlandChip

Novaapp

Re: For what it's worth

Unread post by Novaapp » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:13 pm

Midland,
I appreciate your wise, seasoned perspective. Well said, and thanks for your support of APP.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:23 pm

Midland:
Yep, I too was there. I had MUCH better seats this time. Last time: 90th row in the end zone; this time: 21st row at the 40 yd. line.

I was disappointed in the outcome. But, I saw much to cheer about. 1) Oline & Dline looked solid; 2) running backs looked GOOD!; 3) a real QB battle; and 4) a young (very young, in fact) team that did not give up & certainly did not look intimidated in the Big House. I think this team will get better each game.

I too think So. Miss. will be a tough game. Campbell ... well, I think we're going to unload on the Camels.

Michigan fans were great the 2nd time around too. The guy two rows behind me was bedecked in the maze & blue, and he said he had lived for a while in Marion, NC. Nice guy. And, the guy directly behind me was a very knowledgeable football fan who inquired about our team & circumstances. All in all, my wife & friends who went with us had a good time before & after the game.

However, MAN that was a long drive. Whew!

Yosef10
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:36 pm

Just wondering why USM will be that tough of a game? 1-23 the past 2 years and started off this year getting pounded 49-0 by Miss St. I know USM has always had a respectable program but at this point in time that's just not true. It should at least be competitive, if not App coming out with a W.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:19 pm

I am far more concerned about Georgia Southern than Southern Miss.

luvyosef

Unread post by luvyosef » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:15 pm

sixtoes9134 wrote:I am far more concerned about Georgia Southern than Southern Miss.
Yep. Had they not fumbled at the goal line late in the 4th quarter they would've beaten the Wolfpack. APP will have their hands full in Statesboro.
Appalachian State University (Excellence since 1899)

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:34 pm

Funny thing - you know those App grads who pull for ACC schools? I know one who graduated from App but is all NC State all the time (whatever). He argued with me incessantly after I told him they better watch out for Georgia Southern and he informed me State would win by 45 points.

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:49 pm

sixtoes9134 wrote:I am far more concerned about Georgia Southern than Southern Miss.
agreed. we're going to be coming off of a Bye week when we play So. Miss. but then turn around and play a road Thursday night game against Stink after playing on the road in Hattiesburg

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:11 pm

mtnjax wrote:
agreed. we're going to be coming off of a Bye week when we play So. Miss. but then turn around and play a road Thursday night game against Stink after playing on the road in Hattiesburg
It is a short week but we are familiar with them.

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:54 pm

AppSt94 wrote: It is a short week but we are familiar with them.
are we though?

new coaching staff
new offensive scheme
possibly new defensive scheme

App74

Unread post by App74 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:38 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:Midland:
Yep, I too was there. I had MUCH better seats this time. Last time: 90th row in the end zone; this time: 21st row at the 40 yd. line.

I was disappointed in the outcome. But, I saw much to cheer about. 1) Oline & Dline looked solid; 2) running backs looked GOOD!; 3) a real QB battle; and 4) a young (very young, in fact) team that did not give up & certainly did not look intimidated in the Big House. I think this team will get better each game.

I too think So. Miss. will be a tough game. Campbell ... well, I think we're going to unload on the Camels.

Michigan fans were great the 2nd time around too. The guy two rows behind me was bedecked in the maze & blue, and he said he had lived for a while in Marion, NC. Nice guy. And, the guy directly behind me was a very knowledgeable football fan who inquired about our team & circumstances. All in all, my wife & friends who went with us had a good time before & after the game.

However, MAN that was a long drive. Whew!
We arrived Thursday and stayed in Ann Arbor. We went downtown Thursday and Friday nights in colors of course. Not a single person spoke to us; only dress downs and squinted eyes. The first person that spoke to us was a Michigan student on Saturday morning as we were walking to the stadium. We stopped and thanked her for speaking and welcoming us. Her response, "I'm a Michigan student but I'm from North Carolina".

Ann Arbor is the most non-friendly place I have ever been. Glad you had a good time. Once is enough for me.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:53 pm

mtnjax wrote:
are we though?

new coaching staff
new offensive scheme
My cousin plays for State so I recorded their game and watched it when we returned from Michigan tonight. GS basically runs the same offense, just out of the spread option set. They're still a poor passing team, they just pass a little more often. Like in years past their passing game is only effective with the element of surprise. So, stop the run and get them in long third downs and we'll be fine, especially now that there's actual tape to review.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:04 pm

App74 wrote:We arrived Thursday and stayed in Ann Arbor. We went downtown Thursday and Friday nights in colors of course. Not a single person spoke to us; only dress downs and squinted eyes. The first person that spoke to us was a Michigan student on Saturday morning as we were walking to the stadium. We stopped and thanked her for speaking and welcoming us. Her response, "I'm a Michigan student but I'm from North Carolina".

Ann Arbor is the most non-friendly place I have ever been. Glad you had a good time. Once is enough for me.
Ever been to Statesboro? You'll be greeted differently there.

We were in Ann Arbor (downtown) too, and in colors. Few spoke to us there. So what? I got the sense that only some were football fans. No one jeered at us, either.

The fans we met at the game and in the sports bar we went to in Plymouth (about 15 miles from Ann Arbor) were fine folks. They knew little about App. State, but respectfully inquired and listened to what we had to say, as we did to them.

U. M. is what a great football tradition should be about. There's a quiet confidence there that some can misinterpret. OK, it is what it is. I have no problem with that. U.M. has earned their tradition & their pride in their football.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:32 pm

I enjoyed the post. It returned my perspective to a little closer to normal.

I have also been again reading "Mountain Educators" the story of how the Doughterty brothers built App from a two level frame building where Greer Hall stands to the mid fifties when Blan died, and how others including ourselves have taken App to places unimagined 50 years ago.

Other thoughts I have had also served to break me out of my post Michigan funk. Over the past forty years plus of DI sports we have, in football, beaten Michigan, South Carolina, Wake Forest, (six times) and East Carolina. In basketball we have beaten Nebraska, Washington State, SMU, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Central Florida, Virginia, Clemson and Wichita State. In baseball we have manhandled, LSU, Miami (Fla) Duke, NC State, Virginia, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Wake Forest, and Michigan. Other sports have seen wins over Memphis State (WBB), Clemson again in soccer, Wake Forest in soccer. In individual meets our wrestlers have beaten P5 wrestlers in regional and national tournaments, and this is not to mention our multiple success in other Olympic sports.

We are doing pretty dang good!!! and a lot more good is to come.
Feeling a lot better now!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:24 pm

mtnjax wrote:
are we though?

new coaching staff
new offensive scheme
Quite true, mtnjax, but we will have what, 4 of their games on film by then?
We have no excuses and I don't think we will need any anyway.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

App74

Unread post by App74 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:36 am

AppAlum1 wrote:
App74 wrote:We arrived Thursday and stayed in Ann Arbor. We went downtown Thursday and Friday nights in colors of course. Not a single person spoke to us; only dress downs and squinted eyes. The first person that spoke to us was a Michigan student on Saturday morning as we were walking to the stadium. We stopped and thanked her for speaking and welcoming us. Her response, "I'm a Michigan student but I'm from North Carolina".

Ever been to Statesboro? You'll be greeted differently there.

We were in Ann Arbor (downtown) too, and in colors. Few spoke to us there. So what? I got the sense that only some were football fans. No one jeered at us, either.

The fans we met at the game and in the sports bar we went to in Plymouth (about 15 miles from Ann Arbor) were fine folks. They knew little about App. State, but respectfully inquired and listened to what we had to say, as we did to them.

U. M. is what a great football tradition should be about. There's a quiet confidence there that some can misinterpret. OK, it is what it is. I have no problem with that. U.M. has earned their tradition & their pride in their football.
I'm glad you met some nice people, good for you. Just wish we had been as fortunate. I am even more inspired now, however, to be a gracious host for visitors in Boone and never let the concept of "pride" enter into the equations of my personality. I resolve to be better because of my trip to Ann Arbor.

And yes, as a matter of fact, I have been to SE Georgia, four times, all expense paid two week vacations. I enjoyed the comforts of their country; the ticks, the fleas, the mosquitoes, the gnats, the snakes, the heat, the humidity, the stench. Figuring Statesboro to be the same type of environment, I have not returned on my own accord. Perhaps in 2016.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:45 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:Funny thing - you know those App grads who pull for ACC schools? I know one who graduated from App but is all NC State all the time (whatever). He argued with me incessantly after I told him they better watch out for Georgia Southern and he informed me State would win by 45 points.
Even worse, sixtoes, the Chairman of the Board of Commissioners in my county is an App grad and a former rifle totin' Yosef. He is a die hard UNC-Chapel Hell fan and never mentions App State and knows absolutely nothing about the Mountaineers when I bring them up.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:04 am

mtnjax wrote:
are we though?

new coaching staff
new offensive scheme
If we were playing anyone else on a short week I would not feel as optimistic. But they have a short week as well. Both teams want to set the tone for our rivalry in the Sun Belt so getting up won't be a problem. They played State close but their offense is basically the same. They had 4 trips to the red zone and came away with 9 points (3 FG's and a fumble). They have some early season problems and they will correct them but they are woefully thin on depth. There QB is key. If he goes down they are positively stagnant on offense. It's a risky proposition given how many shots he takes in a game. State is a bad football team that looks to be getting better. Like us, it's hard to evaluate GS until they play competition that resembles what we/they will face in the Sun Belt.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:43 am

App74 wrote:I'm glad you met some nice people, good for you. Just wish we had been as fortunate. I am even more inspired now, however, to be a gracious host for visitors in Boone and never let the concept of "pride" enter into the equations of my personality. I resolve to be better because of my trip to Ann Arbor.

And yes, as a matter of fact, I have been to SE Georgia, four times, all expense paid two week vacations. I enjoyed the comforts of their country; the ticks, the fleas, the mosquitoes, the gnats, the snakes, the heat, the humidity, the stench. Figuring Statesboro to be the same type of environment, I have not returned on my own accord. Perhaps in 2016.

You must have been to Savannah, a great place.

But, you've not been to Statesboro for a game? Ah, the ambiance ... it's indescribable. The fans held back from spitting on the team by ... plywood barriers at the front row. The drunk idiots shouting obscenities (and that's just the little old ladies & perfessors) in between spitting their backer juice.

Well, actually, the ticks, the fleas, the mosquitoes, the gnats, the snakes, the heat, the humidity, and the stench are WAY better than the natives.

OK, I'm only partially kidding.

App74

Unread post by App74 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:44 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
App74 wrote:I'm glad you met some nice people, good for you. Just wish we had been as fortunate. I am even more inspired now, however, to be a gracious host for visitors in Boone and never let the concept of "pride" enter into the equations of my personality. I resolve to be better because of my trip to Ann Arbor.

You must have been to Savannah, a great place.

But, you've not been to Statesboro for a game? Ah, the ambiance ... it's indescribable. The fans held back from spitting on the team by ... plywood barriers at the front row. The drunk idiots shouting obscenities (and that's just the little old ladies & perfessors) in between spitting their backer juice.

Well, actually, the ticks, the fleas, the mosquitoes, the gnats, the snakes, the heat, the humidity, and the stench are WAY better than the natives.

OK, I'm only partially kidding.
Not Savannah.....Fort Stewart.....big difference.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”