Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sunday morning QB ---

T-Dog

Re: Sunday morning QB ---

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:46 pm

I don't know if losing Logan hurt the kicking game as the two misses were just not angled correctly and the final PAT looked low, but it can't help, especially with the hesitation by Matics. He also had the two kickoffs go out of bounds.

Also, if McGowan gets that safety when he completely whiffed on the QB, that changes the game.

McGowan also hesitated on the blitz that SoMiss scored on late in the game. That was a coaching failure as they read the blitz perfectly.

We had 8 penalties at halftime and ended with 11. So that was improved on in the second half.

spong
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by spong » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:49 pm

I only watched the 2nd half but I thought it was the best I had ever seen a football team look before in my life and not win a game.

The defense this year looks really good and at least tonight they had a lot of fight in them. Lamb looks great and he's the QB for the future. We should have won that game by 20 but with silly fumbles and missed kicks it didn't happen for us.

The kicking game was rough to watch and I'm not sure there is much we can do to fix that this season but outside of that many of our other weak spots can be fixed. The penalties, Lamb making a few back decisions (there was one play I clearly remember Lamb over powering a short throw, bad decision but one easily fixed with some film time), and the WRs not tipping throws into defenders hands are problems that can be fixed .

It was a frustrating game to watch because we played so well but could not be put points of the board but I would whether this than the team looking bad.

It's was a frustrating loss but covering the spread and losing by one point in a road night game against a team you rarely play in a game that is basically an exhibition game; you can only be so frustrated by that kind of loss.

If the team keeps going out and playing with the kind of effort I watched last night they are going to have an okay season when this is all said and done. The are built well for conference play. The Sun Belt is a very QB focused league and I watched Lamb drop back and make 4 reads several times last night and our defense seems to be in good shape so that is a good mix to do well in our conference.

We haven't got that FBS win yet but it will come. Our team is young but it seems like we have recruited well. We are upset with our young players because they are making mistakes not because they are not showing potential. I can live with that at this point. We are headed in the right direction. The coaching staff isn't doing a perfect job (I'm pretty frustrated with the Special Team Coach right now) but Scat and Woody are doing a good job building this program and it is headed in the right direction and a year or two years from now when games start mattering again this team should be good.

appgrunt71

Unread post by appgrunt71 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:37 pm

A very young talented team playing a very sloppy game. I'm very optimistic that we will improve and win some games! Go App!

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:20 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:For the record, Malachi Jones had two false starts, not three as mentioned by the TV broadcast crew. The third, if I remember correctly, should have been charged to Alex Acey.

I really liked the way Taylor Lamb played. Lots to be excited about.
We made the trip to the game. We had a 1.5 mile walk back to the hotel after game. We needed it to blow off steam :)

Regarding the false starts, the refs regularly called false starts on the wideouts even if a lineman actually was the initial guilty party. Corbin had one of the false starts. I'm not sure that Malachi was guilty on the others - he sure seemed surprised when his number was called. So was the USM wideout when called out.

I like the poise that Lamb had in the pocket. He did a nice job of stepping up in the pocket or rolling out as needed. I also like his ability to run the ball when needed to give our offense a little diversity. I agree that Lamb has a bright future for the Apps.

Our coaches really hurt us with their indecisiveness in getting plays called in. Lamb also needs to work on getting our offense set a little quicker when plays come in a little later. Also, I thought our play calling was too conservative in the third quarter. We needed to pass a little more in the third.

USM may not win a lot of games this year but I strongly believe they would finish around .500 in the Sun Belt. They were a big team - including at WR and in the secondary.

I was much more encouraged than discouraged by our play yesterday. As JT stated, it was really our first FBS game on the road playing with a young team. Our defense was outstanding in the middle of the game. Our run defense and our DB coverage were both good. Our DB's intercepted 3 passes (1 called back) and had good coverage overall despite a sub-par pass rush. I really like McGuire at WR as well.

On to next week. I think we will do better than most think against Ga Southern. No question that it will be a very difficult game though.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:35 pm

I do expect us to compete in most of the remaining games. Whether that turns into Wins is a different story. We have a very young team AND a young cosching staff both trying to learn how to win! Once they do that we will be in good shape. SS has a tough task trying to win and completely rebuild his roster at the same time. Lets give them a chance to grow.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Good analysis by everyone. A few things I'll add

1. Why, why, why can we not put in a short yardage package where we line up under center??
2. Maybe mix it up a little on 1st down instead of going with an inside handoff every time.
3. The thing that bothers me most about this loss is the is the same way we lost so many games last year....errors, misses opportunities, penalties. Another game where we can look back and point to about 10 different things that had they gone differently, we would have won. This is becoming a trend with this coaching staff.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:01 pm

Love the way this young team with a redshirt-frosh QB drove down the field and converted some tough long yardage first downs. Should have tied the game but it just didn't happen. Still this team played very well on the road and will hopefully keep gaining confidence and efficiency from here on out. Hope they give the Eagles a war.

luvyosef

Unread post by luvyosef » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:16 pm

OP sums up exactly how I feel once I step back and look at from the overall perspective. I once ignored coach speak on how tough it is just to win ONE game. Not anymore. Not with all the parity in college football. FWIW, though Satt had a great attitude and demeanor about the game on the post game show. We'll get there. Go App!
Appalachian State University (Excellence since 1899)

TurfMonkey

Unread post by TurfMonkey » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:13 pm

Losing this game won't kill me. What will eventually kill me, canes_mj hit it on the head.
Scott

1. Why, why, why can we not put in a short yardage package where we line up under center??

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:22 pm

TurfMonkey wrote:Losing this game won't kill me. What will eventually kill me, canes_mj hit it on the head.
Scott

I don't disagree with you but if we don't practice the snap from under center along with the straight handoff then I would be worried about fumbles.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Maybe that could be Kam's role. Convert to the under center QB. We can still throw in this formation. Let him get the practice while Lamb gets the long snap practice.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:41 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:Maybe that could be Kam's role. Convert to the under center QB. We can still throw in this formation. Let him get the practice while Lamb gets the long snap practice.
Interesting thought but does that mean you bring in a different center when Kam is in?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:54 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:Maybe that could be Kam's role. Convert to the under center QB. We can still throw in this formation. Let him get the practice while Lamb gets the long snap practice.
Interesting thought but does that mean you bring in a different center when Kam is in?
I guess so. Make them a tandem. Some catchers work particular pitchers. We would have a particular center/QB couple. Bringing in Kam would not guarantee a run up the middle, but it would allow a lineup that can start closer to the line of scrimmage.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:04 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
I guess so. Make them a tandem. Some catchers work particular pitchers. We would have a particular center/QB couple. Bringing in Kam would not guarantee a run up the middle, but it would allow a lineup that can start closer to the line of scrimmage.
This is a fun conversation because I would be shocked if it ever happens. I think I would rather have Taylor sneaked it than Kam.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:22 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
This is a fun conversation because I would be shocked if it ever happens. I think I would rather have Taylor sneaked it than Kam.
I agree, it will not happen, but if the problem is reps and the timing we do have a solution with a capable QB in Kam. But yes, this is all hypothetical.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:15 pm

Great post WV, thanks. I think the D played well enough for us to have won the game. We had way Tooo many Penalties and the kicking game errors gave that one to Southern Miss, even though they did not earn the W. We should have went for the 2 point conversion IMO in the end being on the road and given the kicking game performance up to then. Yes, I get the hind sight, but thought it last night. If the D can play that well (not counting 1st drive) Thursday I think we can beat The Stink.
Give Em Hell!!

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:59 am

Biggest issue on a potential two point attempt was being out of timeouts. I think had Scott had one we go for it. App struggled getting in plays quick enough earlier in the game as well.

I was at the game and Matics lost it completely after the kick out of bounds, slammed the helmet and mouthpiece. Not a bad thing just mentally was toast.

Defense played outstanding and kept giving our offense a chance. Was really impressed with our outside linebacker play and Joel Ross.

Lamb finally got in a rhythm late with McGuire and Simms. I believe 8 or 9 guys caught passes which is another great sign for a young qb in his first start. He moved extremely well in the pocket and had great pocket presence.

One thing Southern Miss won't be given credit for was their sheer size. 3 WR's over 6'3, I doubt we see that the remainder of this season.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:29 am

AppSt94 wrote:
One thing about switching QB's just for a play or two is that QB's develop a certain rhythm that would possibly be lost by the exchange. Just a thought.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:20 am

I agree that I have never understood why we never go under center but I am assuming the coaches have a good reason for not doing so ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:35 am

Jim Donnan was certainly not a fan of the spread offense in short, goal line situations on the TV broadcast.

He also said Matics looked slow getting to the ball on his FGs and PATs, which I attribute to the combination of the bad kickoff that went OB and not having the comfort of Hallock holding.

Aside from that and the penalties I was pleased with everything else.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”