Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sunday morning QB ---

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sunday morning QB ---

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:42 pm

asu66 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:I know many are calling our play calling conservative and I know that we had a new QB making his first start but I don't really see a whole lot of difference with what we did Saturday to what we have been doing for many years with this offense. Everything is underneath the safeties in space then rely on YAC. Other than the occasional boundry throw to Price that has been it for quite awhile. Am I wrong?
Please don't take this the wrong way. When you speak of those deep throws to a big receiver, please use Quick as your example, rather than XXXXX. XXXXX disgraced himself and Appalachian with his actions both in and out of uniform. He's no example for anything good at ASU. He's not listed for a court date in Watauga and he's not listed as an offender in the NC Department of Corrections, so his attorney must have found a first-offender program for him somewhere. On the other hand, there's no indication from a dozen Google searches that any D-I, D-II, D-III or NAIA teams or any semi-pro teams have picked him up. The NFL wouldn't give him even a distant sniff of a locker room with its current high visibility PR problems.
My bad.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:49 pm

asu66 wrote:
moehler wrote:I don't know why its so hard for spread offenses to go under center when the situation calls for it. Sat night Clemson did the exact same thing, 4th and 1/2 yd in overtime, 6'2 qb, instead takes the shotgun snap, hands off to running back, slow developing play, gave FS defensive line time to react, stop him with a 2 yd loss, ballgame, playcalling made no sense, just don't get it.
According to Jim Donnan, former all-ACC and Liberty Bowl QB at NC State and Hall of Fame coach, switching to an under center snap from the shotgun formation is more difficult than the average bear would understand. He said Saturday night that our center was having trouble just getting the ball to Lamb on a simple shotgun snap. The snaps were all over the place--high, low, left and right. A couple got to Lamb on the bounce. To depend on him to make a clean under-center snap in a critical short yardage situation would be high risk. He said he wouldn't call it if he was our coach. He was clearly down on our center. He thought that was a key weakness of our O line.
When Fisher was in there, he continually struggled with snaps and it even led to the 2nd interception. Chapman's snaps were not too much better. Donnan is correct that the center is our biggest weakness on the O-Line. In our offense if the snaps are off at all it throws off all of the timing.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:24 pm

I found these pics from both blocked kicks.

Left side of the line doesn't look so good.

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Off-topic, but again, bring back the block white A on the helment. You can barely notice the black one, especially on tv games. But I do want white A with the matte helmets

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:15 pm

yosef95 wrote:Off-topic, but again, bring back the block white A on the helment. You can barely notice the black one, especially on tv games. But I do want white A with the matte helmets
Same here about the Block A, yosef95. There is just no contrast to speak of. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Sorry if I missed earlier mention, but where is Barbour? Hurt?

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:19 pm

I know this sounds kooky but I'm beginning to believe the black Block A's are the reason behind our seemingly unexplainable bad luck during the past season-plus. Bring back the universally popular white Block A's, please.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:20 pm

yosef95 wrote:Sorry if I missed earlier mention, but where is Barbour? Hurt?
Barbour has that all-too-common "lower body" injury.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:43 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:Maybe that could be Kam's role. Convert to the under center QB. We can still throw in this formation. Let him get the practice while Lamb gets the long snap practice.
Interesting thought but does that mean you bring in a different center when Kam is in?
I guess so. Make them a tandem. Some catchers work particular pitchers. We would have a particular center/QB couple. Bringing in Kam would not guarantee a run up the middle, but it would allow a lineup that can start closer to the line of scrimmage.
I like this idea. Why not have a short yardage QB/CTR package that we can put in there when necessary because in all seriousness, on that first and goal from the one inch line, Lamb could have farted and the thrust would have been enough to get him across the goal line. We can't let that happen again.
Last edited by AppinATL on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:46 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
yosef95 wrote:Sorry if I missed earlier mention, but where is Barbour? Hurt?
Barbour has that all-too-common "lower body" injury.
Yeah this had redshirt written all over it.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:43 pm

T-Dog wrote:I found these pics from both blocked kicks.

Left side of the line doesn't look so good.
I WILL NOT be doing any video analysis for Physics class on these to blocks. No one need waste their breath asking. ;)
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:16 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:Regarding the problems we're having at running a play before the play clock runs out, I believe this is due to coaching strategy rather than indecision. We're waiting for the defense to tip its hand before we run a play. Lately, coaches like Nick Saban are favoring abandonment of that practice, favoring going with the best offensive play regardless of the defensive alignment.
Thanks for the feedback. It would be understandable as a coaching decision to hope the defense tips its hand before we commit to a play. Our QB's do get antsy waiting for plays though so I do wonder if we have too many coaches/ coordinators involved in play calling. I would still like to see decisions quicker and also would like to see our offense get set quicker after receiving the play from the sidelines. One thing for certain last week - we struggled mightily on offense when we snapped the ball close to the expiration of the play clock. We had good success with quicker snaps. Despite the concern above, I saw much to be optimistic about at the USM game.

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:08 pm

AppinATL wrote:
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:Maybe that could be Kam's role. Convert to the under center QB. We can still throw in this formation. Let him get the practice while Lamb gets the long snap practice.
Interesting thought but does that mean you bring in a different center when Kam is in?
I guess so. Make them a tandem. Some catchers work particular pitchers. We would have a particular center/QB couple. Bringing in Kam would not guarantee a run up the middle, but it would allow a lineup that can start closer to the line of scrimmage.
I like this idea. Why not have a short yardage QB/CTR package that we can put in there when necessary because in all seriousness, on that first and goal from the one inch line, Lamb could have farted and the thrust would have been enough to get him across the goal line. We can't let that happen again.
On the first and goal from the one inch line, I assume we came away with 0 points? What happened, missed FG?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:17 pm

I may have some of this in the wrong order but we were put back to the 2 or 3 yard line then 2 penalties and then I think the blocked or missed FG. I am trying to put it out of my mind.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:21 am

AppAttack wrote: On the first and goal from the one inch line, I assume we came away with 0 points? What happened, missed FG?
Here's the official play-by-play (Warning: For mature audiences only):

1st and Goal at USM 1 Terrence Upshaw run for no gain to the SoMis 1
2nd and Goal at USM 1 Terrence Upshaw run for a loss of 3 yards to the SoMis 4
3rd and Goal at USM 4 Taylor Lamb rush over right tackle for 3 yards to the USM1, PENALTY APP holding 10 yards to the USM14, NO PLAY.
3rd and Goal at USM 14 APPALACHIAN ST Penalty, delay of game (-5 Yards) to the SoMis 19
3rd and Goal at USM 19 Taylor Lamb pass incomplete to N/A
4th and Goal at USM 19 Zach Matics 36 yd FG BLOCKED

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:01 pm

Very Poor Coaching on that series for sure. :oops:

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Well I'm telling you guys something else happened in that series that no one is talking about - Moose and I both saw it and discussed it yesterday - On the first play from the "one", Upshaw fumbled the ball and Alex Acey covered it in the end zone - you can see several APP players signaling TD and the ref in the end zone tosses his bean bag that indicates fumble AND THEN, no one mentioned a thing??? - Moose figures the only explanation was that Upshaw was ruled down so that is not reviewable --- It was a fumble and we scored a TD BUT --- --- ;)
ps - not that a fumble at the goal line is a good thing :o
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:22 pm

Then in that case, we were screwed on that one. On another note, that makes two fumbles inside the 5 on Saturday, not good.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:23 pm

WataugaMan wrote:Then in that case, we were screwed on that one. On another note, that makes two fumbles inside the 5 on Saturday, not good.
Let's not become Georgia Southern and blame the refs for our misfortune. The football gods were kind to us when the So Miss defender was tripped up by his own man running back the strip from Cox.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Cincy App wrote:
AppGrad78 wrote:Regarding the problems we're having at running a play before the play clock runs out, I believe this is due to coaching strategy rather than indecision. We're waiting for the defense to tip its hand before we run a play. Lately, coaches like Nick Saban are favoring abandonment of that practice, favoring going with the best offensive play regardless of the defensive alignment.
Thanks for the feedback. It would be understandable as a coaching decision to hope the defense tips its hand before we commit to a play. Our QB's do get antsy waiting for plays though so I do wonder if we have too many coaches/ coordinators involved in play calling. I would still like to see decisions quicker and also would like to see our offense get set quicker after receiving the play from the sidelines. One thing for certain last week - we struggled mightily on offense when we snapped the ball close to the expiration of the play clock. We had good success with quicker snaps. Despite the concern above, I saw much to be optimistic about at the USM game.
Are you saying we are back to the committee calling the plays concept that was oft criticized so heaviy just a few short seasons ago?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”