Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sunday morning QB ---

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Sunday morning QB ---

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:32 am

OK - starting this new so those who want to comment on last nights game won't feel like jumping off the roof trying to weed through the "end of days" ---
I said before the game that I would be disappointed if APP didn't win but I would not call for firings, benchings, nor call out individual players if they lost --- I will hold true to that, hopefully those who comment can do the same ---
1. I'm not sure how you can watch that game and not feel the defense has greatly improved? - They gave up 329 yards to SoMiss - take away the first drive of the game and that number is 269 - SoMiss had 283 yards against Mississippi State and 263 against Alabama ---
2. - The offense moved the ball with 455 yards of total offense - good balance between pass and run ---
3. - The kicking game needs work ---
4. - Many wanted Taylor to get his shot - he did and played well but now some are complaining about not opening up the entire playbook right off the bat? It doesn't work that way
5. - There was a continual rotation on the offensive line and those guys are playing well
6. - We have several solid WRs who can catch the ball - they are basically young and/or inexperienced - they will get better
7. - As mentioned by some in another post - The team didn't quit, they kept fighting and really, as we all know, should have won the game
8. - Go back and count how many FR and SO we have playing big minutes (if you can't find that number, ask MOOSE) and then try to explain why you think this staff should be fired? - wow!!!
9. - Mistakes cost teams close ballgames - this needs to be improved
10. - APP is 0-0 in the Sun Belt - the SB conference championship is all we can play for this season - Nothing has changed for us at this point
11. - Have you seen other SB teams play? - there are several not-so-good football teams this season so I wouldn't be jumping ship yet ---
The Dude Abides ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppState89
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sunday morning QB ---

Unread post by AppState89 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:46 am

I think you are point on. I was one of the ones mad as hell last night. We beat them up and down the field all night, except the first series. Stupid and mental mistakes cost us the game.

I, for one, forgot we had about 73 FRESH and SOPH on the team. With that, there will be a learning curve.

I thought me moved the ball well, but I'm getting tired of "UP THE MIDDLE" on first down. I know you have to sometimes, but not MOST of the time. Defense played awesome and I loved we finally blitzed some and had several sacks.

I feel bad for the team because they played hard last night to come away with a "L". Again, with 73 fresh and soph, we will GROW and IMPROVE.

Sorry for the "F" bombs on the other thread last night, but I was pissed and mad as hell....

Go Apps!!! Let's kick some Gnat butt Thursday.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:52 am

"The Dude" beat me to a new thread. I was impressed with Lamb last night. He made some mistakes but it was nothing that can't be cleaned up and his positives far outweighed his negatives. His two interceptions were horrible throws and I though he forced a couple of throws that could have ended badly. He is a Freshmen but plays with a swagger that sometimes makes him think he can do things he shouldn't. I am glad that SS stuck with him for the whole game to see how he reacts to situations and I say he passed with flying colors. For those of you that wanted him as a starter, you got him. I don't think that he will disappoint. My only ask from you is to not get down on the kid when he makes mistakes because his style of play is going to lend itself to mistakes.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:56 am

WVAPP - well said. The team did everything but win the game. AppState89 is correct on up the middle. We were running well, but not up the middle. Most of our success came off the right side. I would have preferred that more and would have also had Cox in at the goal line on that first series that we didn't score from the 1. Take out the bad kicking (kickoffs, FGs, & extra points) and we win this game. Of course, we can't take them out, but we'll be okay.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:04 am

AppState89 wrote:I think you are point on. I was one of the ones mad as hell last night. We beat them up and down the field all night, except the first series. Stupid and mental mistakes cost us the game.

I, for one, forgot we had about 73 FRESH and SOPH on the team. With that, there will be a learning curve.

I thought me moved the ball well, but I'm getting tired of "UP THE MIDDLE" on first down. I know you have to sometimes, but not MOST of the time. Defense played awesome and I loved we finally blitzed some and had several sacks.

I feel bad for the team because they played hard last night to come away with a "L". Again, with 73 fresh and soph, we will GROW and IMPROVE.

Sorry for the "F" bombs on the other thread last night, but I was pissed and mad as hell....

Go Apps!!! Let's kick some Gnat butt Thursday.
No worries. That was a heartbreaking way to lose after such a great comeback. I am sure that as bad as you felt last night I am sure that no one feels as bad as Zach. He is a young man and he a football player. He has bad days like everyone else and he has bad games like everyone else. If we would have been able to punch it in from 1st and goal from the one foot line and Cox could have secured the ball better it would not have come down to the kicking game. Another point to remember is that this game may have never come down to the extra point if the So Miss defended had not tripped his own man on the fumble return.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:05 am

Surprisingly I agree with nearly everything said, except the part about kicking. Saying it needs work isn't strong enough. Scrap kicking FG and xp until it's back in working order.
Give 'em hell!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:12 am

BeauFoster wrote:Surprisingly I agree with nearly everything said, except the part about kicking. Saying it needs work isn't strong enough. Scrap kicking FG and xp until it's back in working order.
Before we scrap the kicking game I think that the coaches need to look at the film. Donnan said that Matics did not start moving to the ball until it was set. Has he always done this or could it be a timing issue with the new holder? If he has always done it then why was it not a problem in the Michigan and Campbell game? If it's a fundamental thing then why was it not corrected earlier? These are not questions that I am asking of you just in general to try and understand the magnitude of the problem. All I know about place kicking is laces out.

gsu2583
School: Georgia Southern

Unread post by gsu2583 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:24 am

Tough loss, and believe me, Southern fans empathize.

Havent gotten to watch the DVR of the game yet, but looking at the box score, one stat kinda jumped out at me.

ELEVEN penalties for....59 yards? What the what?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:32 am

WVApp-I agree with most everything you said. I havent read any other threads yet, but Im sure everyone was pretty hot last night. I know I was! Despite that I believe the mistakes last night are a reflection of a young team trying to learn how to win. You could tell the pressure of our first "real" FBS game had some of the guys nervous plus it looks like we were a bit rusty after the week off. It is easy to blame the kicking game, but the offense is just as much to blame since we failed to punch it in early on. The only thing that really concerns me are the false start penalties in the Redzone by our most experienced WR. I expect the young guys to make mistakes, but he should know better. He did turn things around later in the game though.

Overall, a very good effort but too many mistakes. The defense was outstanding most of the night, and our offense under Lamb looks to have a lot of potential. At least our guys know they can compete at this level. Now they just need to clean up mistakes and win an FBS game.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:10 am

Overall I am pleased with the performance and the future of this team looks promising. Sloppy here and there but plenty to be happy about.

I really thought we should have gone for two. I had one of those feelings. I was yelling "go for the win!"

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:34 am

Yeah I agree - I think with the kicking problems last night and on the road - I would have gone for 2 ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:45 am

I, too, was a Go For 2 supporter last night but thought about this later ..... Coach Satt had no timeouts to even discuss going for 2 so probably should have had a play lined up just in case.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:47 am

Fix the penalties, time management issues, and the kicking game.
Otherwise, I saw reason for some optimism last night. The QB issue seems to be settled, and except for one SM drive, the defense played well in the second half. I would still like to see more of the 2-back set; Upshaw needs to be on the field. I was really impressed with Middleton and Ross last night.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:00 am

For the record, Malachi Jones had two false starts, not three as mentioned by the TV broadcast crew. The third, if I remember correctly, should have been charged to Alex Acey.

Something to consider when you start screaming for more blitz packages: Most of the really poor defensive plays we had last night (and there weren't many) came when they caught us in a blitz. The eventual game-winning TD by Southern Miss was the result of a dumb, bring-the-house blitz call by us. True, they were approaching field goal range and we felt we needed to make something happen, but they like us were doing a good job of shooting themselves in the foot and it wasn't time to push the panic button.

I wish our run game included a mis-direction play or two. Our coaching staff intentionally keeps our offense simple, but we do that to our detriment.

I really liked the way Taylor Lamb played. Lots to be excited about.
Last edited by AppGrad78 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:02 am

gsu2583 wrote:Tough loss, and believe me, Southern fans empathize.

Havent gotten to watch the DVR of the game yet, but looking at the box score, one stat kinda jumped out at me.

ELEVEN penalties for....59 yards? What the what?
59 yards are notbad, but eleven infractions certainly are.
Last edited by NewApp on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:05 am

And the one that was not called would have been a game changer. It looked like Walton threw a punch at a guy. Can't believe he didn't get a UC..

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:06 pm

WVAppeer:
GREAT POST! I think you are exactly right.

Now, let's beat them Iggles.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:17 pm

When Lamb watches the tapes, I think he'll realize he should have kept it a couple of times when he pitched it to Cox on the option. The DE was sealed...big time. But for a QB starting his first game...I'd say he did quite well. The play where he drew the corner in and threw over his head for a touchdown was a very good play...nice to know he can improvise if stuff breaks down.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:18 pm

Defense overall showed well. We have two QBs for certain now. Punt game was solid and seldom used which is good.

We must be more disciplined on the presnap penalties, but the hardest thing to correct is our kicker's confidence. The two bad kickoffs may be more troubling than the FGs. Zach has the talent, but something is in his head. I thought it might be the holder, but that doesn't explain the kickoffs.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:24 pm

Are mouthpieces required during the game?

Matics had his in his faceguard during one field goal at least and also during the onsides kick.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”