Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ESPN advertising

moonshine
School: Appalachian State

ESPN advertising

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:13 am

I was watching Sports Center this morning via ESPN3 and they were talking about Thursday night's games. They advertised the TT v Okie St. game on the mothership with no mention of the App v GaSo game on the U. I also heard about the UCLA v ASU game which is on FS1 and the Thursday night NFL match-up between the NYG & Skins on the NFL network.

I'm not writing this to complain about the lack of coverage from ESPN, even though 2 of those games aren't on any of their networks but to point out how both App and GSU missed an opportunity to promote this "Black n Blue Brawl" rivalry to a national audience. I think in the future the 2 athletic departments need to put their differences aside, pool their money and put together an awesome promo to showcase this game during commercial breaks at peak viewership times the week leading up to the game.

This leads me to another point about advertising. With more games being televised, I think App should try to increase viewership through billboard advertising in certain cities around the southeast and east coast to try and gain more exposure to potential recruits who might tune in. Advertise on billboards in the obvious places like W-S/GSO, Charlotte, Raleigh, Asheville/WNC/Greenville as well as some current conference members cities such as Atlanta, Savannah, Mobile and Nu' Awlins. Don't stop their, go after some recruiting hotbed areas such as Virginia's Tidewater, Birmingham, Central & South FL and maybe Baltimore. Just a thought I had this morning as I had my breakfast and coffee.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

mtnjax

Re: ESPN advertising

Unread post by mtnjax » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:16 am

It's on the U and we're not P5 teams. Just be glad we're getting the national game at all. Would never have happened in the SoCon

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:25 am

It did happen. App got a nationally televised regular season game while in the Socon against Wofford on Halloween. My point was that our 2 programs should collaborate to promote this game, especially when it's nationally televised even if it means coming out of pocket. I think we could see a ROI if the 2 programs did it correctly. Just my $.02

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:27 am

Can't imagine us paying ESPN to advertise a game that's airing on their own network.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:32 am

I understand your sentiment and I'm sure there are many who agree with you but it reminds me of the old saying, "if you want something done right..." We're going to have to scratch and claw our way to respect and getting casual fans to tune in to our rivalry with GaSo would be a great showcase if history continue to ring true in our close contests (the beat down years not withstanding).

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:11 am

Believe it or not, there IS an App advertisement that has been airing on ESPN since the first week of the season.

Sort of.

And, my son (Sr. at App now) is in it.

It's the ad where quick shots of many, many schools' fans are saying that "we really have a chance this year".

At one point in the ad, they quickly show a collage of a bunch of fans for a few seconds. If you freeze that frame and look in about the center, you will see four students in their yellow & black overalls & war paint on. These App students went down to a Chapel Hill studio to film this add in August or so.

Yeah, I know that is not what this post is about, exactly. And, you cannot really identify the App fans. BUT, it is there, showing more than once every Saturday game on ESPN.

It would have been nice for ESPN to have an ad specifically for this Saturday's game.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:34 am

mtnjax wrote:It's on the U and we're not P5 teams. Just be glad we're getting the national game at all. Would never have happened in the SoCon

I believe we had at least one game on ESPNU. It may have been a play-off game.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

luvyosef

Unread post by luvyosef » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:40 am

NewApp wrote:
mtnjax wrote:It's on the U and we're not P5 teams. Just be glad we're getting the national game at all. Would never have happened in the SoCon

Richmond in 2007 perhaps?
Appalachian State University (Excellence since 1899)

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:57 am

luvyosef wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Richmond in 2007 perhaps?
I can't recall. It sounds like your memory is better than mine. The football media guide used to have a page listing all the games we've had on television, but I just checked the 2014 edition and it no longer has that.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”