Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

How Old Is Old?

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Re: How Old Is Old?

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:23 pm

NewApp wrote:
app87 wrote:I posed this question a few years ago but was curious now since we have some younger YC members that have come aboard; How old is old? I've been following, with amusement I might add, one of the topics that drifted off to being old coots. I attended App during Mack Brown's one and only year and Sparky's reign. Is that old?

If you can still walk up the hill to the stadium and up the steps to your seat, you're not too old.
Well.....I guess I'm SOL then...... :( :evil: :lol:

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:20 am

firemoose wrote:
NewApp wrote:
app87 wrote:I posed this question a few years ago but was curious now since we have some younger YC members that have come aboard; How old is old? I've been following, with amusement I might add, one of the topics that drifted off to being old coots. I attended App during Mack Brown's one and only year and Sparky's reign. Is that old?

If you can still walk up the hill to the stadium and up the steps to your seat, you're not too old.
Well.....I guess I'm SOL then...... :( :evil: :lol:

Nope, your condition is not due to age. That doesn't count. BTW, have you had any improvement in your ability to climb up Stadium Drive? I sure hope so.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:56 am

Ask WVAPP, he's our senior member :roll:[/quote]
Is he? That's funny because I've never seen him post about his age.[/quote]

Well Gonzo,

He and I are friends, and he knows we I was ribbing him a bit, it's difficult to convey that to all. I would expect him to throw similar back any time.[/quote]

Yeah I am the wise old sage who helped Black Saturday get over one of his biggest hurdles in his football lifetime --- the V word ---

Villanova - oh man, I shouldn't have said that :o
Sorry BS --- ;)[/quote]

That was a very tough time watching that baseball player err... erra... Matt Szczur....scorch us for 4 or 5 TDs...hell, I think he just scored again...We didn't have a clue. The Committee was in rare form that infamous day. Going into that game, we should have not lost. :oops:

Anyway, I reckon getting over that has helped me have patience with our rebuilding years we are in the midst of.[/quote]

Geez - I knew that was a mistake to post!!! - digging up deep dark memories and even worse it led BS to the other NO-NO word - The "C" Word ---
The "Committee"
You were supposed to remember and say only the mantra I taught you ---
THE BETTER TEAM WON THAT DAY!!!...THE BETTER TEAM WON THAT DAY!!! ...THE BETTER TEAM WON THAT DAY!!! :roll:
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

tromboneman

Unread post by tromboneman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:11 am

BuddyKirby wrote:I attended the first game played in Conrad Stadium 1962.
Got you!! I went to games when the football field was where Raley lot is now. Old?posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=64485#

AtlantaMountaineer

Unread post by AtlantaMountaineer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:02 am

Well since most of you don't know me anyway, I guess I can confess to how old I am. I entered ASU in 1971, when App was first entering the Southern Conference. I remember our first home game was against Western Kentucky. These are blasphemous comments now but I remember thinking why are our colors black and gold? Why not red or blue. And what the hell is a Hilltopper. I came to love the colors Black and Gold btw and wouldn't want any other color now. Beating Davidson and ETSU was a big deal back then, but the biggest win I remember was a surprising win over ECU. I graduated in 75 and I am now retired at 61. I know, that is really old. But I still make the 5 hour trip up to Boone for almost every home game. And many away games.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:58 am

Class of 77 and fortunate to see the great App victories over South Carolina, ECU, Wake Forrest, Michigan, and 2 of 3 National Championships. Just hope I live long enough to see App challenge for a FBS National Football Championship.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:11 am

SpeedkingATL wrote:Class of 77 and fortunate to see the great App victories over South Carolina, ECU, Wake Forrest, Michigan, and 2 of 3 National Championships. Just hope I live long enough to see App challenge for a FBS National Football Championship.
Me too, becuase the way the P5 want to be thejust their money and their championship and screw all others. So if it remains the money Cartel between the 3 and 4 letter networks and Power 5, we may get to live for a long, long time. Unless a championship league is formed for us bastards of college football.
BLACK SATURDAY

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:11 am

The first App win I witnessed was a 41-0 rout over Emory and Henry in 1969 played on a high school football stadium in Glade Spring, VA. The school chartered a bus for students to attend away games in those days.

For those complaining about playing UMass and Akron...I say bring on those games!
Last edited by hapapp on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:50 am

AtlantaMountaineer wrote:Well since most of you don't know me anyway, I guess I can confess to how old I am. I entered ASU in 1971, when App was first entering the Southern Conference. I remember our first home game was against Western Kentucky. These are blasphemous comments now but I remember thinking why are our colors black and gold? Why not red or blue. And what the hell is a Hilltopper. I came to love the colors Black and Gold btw and wouldn't want any other color now. Beating Davidson and ETSU was a big deal back then, but the biggest win I remember was a surprising win over ECU. I graduated in 75 and I am now retired at 61. I know, that is really old. But I still make the 5 hour trip up to Boone for almost every home game. And many away games.
Hell, you are just a kid Atlanta ;) - I was still driving to all games at 61 :mrgreen:
Still have a few years on ya --- :o
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Budman2154

Unread post by Budman2154 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:01 am

Well I began my App career in 1972 and finished the winter of 1976 (3 knee operations and a broke ankle took its tole). I was present at Williams Brice to see, although a little fuzzy, our guys put it to the Chickens of South Carolina. I believe I was the first to ever use a book bag (small North Face back pack from Footsloggers) due to extended use of cruthes. There was NO arthroscopic surgery then. However, I can still get to my isle seat in section 204 Row ZZ and back down again with my zipper down to pee.

AZAppGrad

Unread post by AZAppGrad » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:24 am

Class of '76….."You are not old until regrets replace your dreams"…….

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”