Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Call to action- Appalachian Football

boonetown1
School: Appalachian State

Call to action- Appalachian Football

Unread post by boonetown1 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:11 pm

I just wanted to start this thread as a topic for discussion regarding the passion our coaches bring to games. I'm not doubting our coaches will to win (as it is their job which they get paid fairly well for), but our team seems to come out flat and seem do not seem energized on the sidelines throughout the games recently. With the exception of stepp there are no coaches that bring that "appalachian" fire.

Personally, I would like to see us as fans call the coaches out on this. I'm sure others might not feel the same way. What do you guys think? Is this worth calling the coaches out on?

Rekdiver

Re: Call to action- Appalachian Football

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:10 am

Style doesn't bother me. Losing does. Armanti was not a firey guy. Having a leader on the team is more important that having a coach who rants and raves. I haven't seen one step up on defense or offense yet.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:10 am

Style doesn't bother me. Losing does. Armanti was not a firey guy. Having a leader on the team is more important that having a coach who rants and raves. I haven't seen one step up on defense or offense yet.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:59 am

Don't think he ment rant and rave. Just show some motivation, my first impression of satterfield physical demeanor comes accross as a dud. Young players will feed off of this IMO.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:06 am

Good God, I'm sick of reading all this crap.

80-90% of the people on this board and other boards were saying up to the season beginning we were probably going to see 4-5 (maybe 6) wins this year. Why? Youth mainly (i.e. those who are actually playing), Former OC learning how to be an FBS coach, etc.

I'm going to hold off judging the coaching staff until this season is over and done with.

If we win 4-6 I will assume us to be where most thought (myself included). To go along with that, if we show steady improvement, that will lead me to believe that this group will have a nice spring board into next year, setting up a 6-7 (maybe 8) win season.

If we only win 2-3 games and show no improvement, then and only then will I become concerned.

This is an edit. I don't know the exact playing time stats, but I do know this regarding the Georgia Southern game. We had 10 seniors who played and they 17 who played. Without an indepth analysis I would venture a guess that their 17 seniors played significantly more minutes than our 10 seniors did. In short, our PT was dominated by youth. Yes, I too am tired of hearing we are young, but the numbers don't lie.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:12 am

Satt stands on the sidelines with his arms crossed most of the time. He is a dud. We had plenty of fire on the sideline when AE was there. Sean Elliot had no problem bringing the heat when needed. Think whatever you want but when Lamb ditched that last pass out of the endzone 90% of head coaches would have met him on the field and coached him. No one did. He came over squatted and put his head down. We are flat. Not our only problem, I agree fully this is transition and we would probably still be losing if we had coaches breathing fire on the sidelines.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:21 am

91 have you ever spoken to Coach Satterfield one on one, attended a practice, seen him interact with players and recruits, etc.?

Sorry he doesn't carry pom poms, but to call him a dud is ignorant at best.

How could a man that is a dud, walk into recruits homes and steal recruits where established FBS programs?

It is crazy town around here the past week or so.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:27 am

Recruiting great players, while very important, is meaningless if the coaching cannot utilize the full potential of the athlete and give them and the team the tools to succeed. Not saying this is necessarily the case here, but only time will tell.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:32 am

I feel like this is one of those things where fans misdirect their frustration. Like it's not so much that the coach yelling and screaming would actually help the team, but fans are just frustrated that they're losing and want to see the coach look as unhappy as they are.

I doubt you heard much of this sort of complaint about Bill Belichick, Jim Tressel, etc.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:33 am

The Rock wrote:Recruiting great players, while very important, is meaningless if the coaching cannot utilize the full potential of the athlete and give them and the team the tools to succeed. Not saying this is necessarily the case here, but only time will tell.
Recruiting is pretty important for a first year head coach taking over a rebuilding effort. Usually takes two years to see it to your point.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:35 am

Saint3333 wrote:91 have you ever spoken to Coach Satterfield one on one, attended a practice, seen him interact with players and recruits, etc.?

Sorry he doesn't carry pom poms, but to call him a dud is ignorant at best.

How could a man that is a dud, walk into recruits homes and steal recruits where established FBS programs?

It is crazy town around here the past week or so.
Sort of glad to see you call other people "ignorant" besides myself.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:37 am

There's a fine line between fire and dud. I personally don't much like seeing my head coach jumpin up and down and chest bumpin players. Position coaches, I completely understand. I don't ever remember Jerry Moore being overly demonstrative and while Nick Saban will fuss at players from time to time, he's not a cheerleader. You want your HEAD coach to show some calm and discipline on the sidelines. The number of karate kicks, doesn't have a thing to do with how well your players are gonna execute. I do agree that we are flat as can be in the first half of games. But at the end of the day it's all about execution. We miss alot of tackles and we take a long time to get our offense going. That is coaching. How much a head coach runs around and goes crazy during the game has not a thing to do with how well his team has prepared. I always reference this, because sadly I am a Virginia fan as well, and no one is more animated on the sidelines than Mike London, but Virginia continues to lose and London looks like he has no idea how to coach an entire team. So all that rah rah means zero.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:39 am

I'm not calling anyone ignorant, only select statements. Observing a coach on the sidelines on TV and then calling them a dud is unfair.

I'm ignorant on LOTS of subjects, but I tend not to speak to those.

JonW

Unread post by JonW » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:00 am

appbio91 wrote: Think whatever you want but when Lamb ditched that last pass out of the endzone 90% of head coaches would have met him on the field and coached him. No one did. He came over squatted and put his head down. We are flat. Not our only problem, I agree fully this is transition and we would probably still be losing if we had coaches breathing fire on the sidelines.
This is what bothered me the most about the Ga. Southern game. Lamb knew he made a mental mistake on fourth down. Everyone in the stadium & watching on TV knew he made a mental mistake. The fact that he was allowed to walk to the sideline without so much as one coach meeting him, talking to him, explaining the situation to him, is what is bothersome. I think the staff is still learning as well, but they cannot miss chances such as this one to learn and grow.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:04 am

Maybe someone did, the camera was only on him for a couple seconds.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:13 am

Stepp seems animated enough for me.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:17 am

Saint3333 wrote:I'm not calling anyone ignorant, only select statements. Observing a coach on the sidelines on TV and then calling them a dud is unfair.

I'm ignorant on LOTS of subjects, but I tend not to speak to those.
I don't know you but I respect your opinion. You seem pretty level headed. To answer your questions: yes I have talked to Scott at events, he does not know me from adam. I get the impression that he is a great guy. Yes I have watched lots of practices, I spend a lot of time in Boone. Scott is a good coach, probably even a great QB coach and offensive coordinator. We always seemed to have an answer when he was in the booth. He is a former Mountaineer on top of all of that so the man is tops in my book. I am pulling really hard for him and the team to succeed and I know it will take time. The last few Moore years really tore us down. I like Moore as well BTW.

My opinion of his temperament may not be accurate but I have seen this for two years now so I did not base it on one game. I'm not the only person who feels this way maybe just used the harshest word.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:23 am

Your assessment of his temperament is accurate. He is a former QB, the good ones weren't emotional and typically don't make emotional coaches.

I can't grade Scott's head coaching ability with only 16 games in a rebuilding environment while making the jump from the FCS to FBS.

Even if he wins 5 more games this year I'd still give him an incomplete. We are going to need to see three if not four seasons of results to measure him in this situation.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:27 am

Saint3333 wrote:Your assessment of his temperament is accurate. He is a former QB, the good ones weren't emotional and typically don't make emotional coaches.

I can't grade Scott's head coaching ability with only 16 games in a rebuilding environment while making the jump from the FCS to FBS.

Even if he wins 5 more games this year I'd still give him an incomplete. We are going to need to see three if not four seasons of results to measure him in this situation.

BINGO Saint......100% true..
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:29 am

appbio91 wrote:Satt stands on the sidelines with his arms crossed most of the time. He is a dud. We had plenty of fire on the sideline when AE was there. Sean Elliot had no problem bringing the heat when needed. Think whatever you want but when Lamb ditched that last pass out of the endzone 90% of head coaches would have met him on the field and coached him. No one did. He came over squatted and put his head down. We are flat. Not our only problem, I agree fully this is transition and we would probably still be losing if we had coaches breathing fire on the sidelines.
Yeah, coach Satt! Stop crossing your arms!!!
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”