Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Fire him

BTK2000
School: Appalachian State

Re: Fire him

Unread post by BTK2000 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:25 pm

Please talk to each other like adults

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:29 pm

BTK2000 wrote:

Please talk to each other like adults

Thank you, that is the whole truth in one video.

love the sign changes !!
:lol: :lol:

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Ok you win. Don't fire him. Actually, I was mad to begin with when I posted that initial post. I asked to have the entire post I made removed but now it has legs of its own. If the moderator wants to shut it down, have at it

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:27 am

took a while but I found this thread that I knew existed. Hope all of the Fire Roof guys go back and read the ridiculous comments that went on and on.

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:36 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:27 am
took a while but I found this thread that I knew existed. Hope all of the Fire Roof guys go back and read the ridiculous comments that went on and on.
This is completely different in my opinion and to say otherwise is folly.

It took a while for Satterfield's FBS recruits to come up through the ranks and begin to play and play well. Roof, whether you are on the fire or not fire train, has taken one of the best defenses in the country and made them look somewhat awful in one off-season with 7/11 returning players. Just because Satt turned it around after a bad start, doesn't mean that Roof, who has a terrible track record, will too. That is a logical fallacy.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:02 am

ComebackShack wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:36 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:27 am
This is completely different in my opinion and to say otherwise is folly.

It took a while for Satterfield's FBS recruits to come up through the ranks and begin to play and play well. Roof, whether you are on the fire or not fire train, has taken one of the best defenses in the country and made them look somewhat awful in one off-season with 7/11 returning players. Just because Satt turned it around after a bad start, doesn't mean that Roof, who has a terrible track record, will too. That is a logical fallacy.
If memory serves me correct Satterfield used FCS players in the beginning. When things were going south, he burned some shirts and things immediately turned around. This all occurred during his first season.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:09 am

I acknowledge that the comparison is not completely the same but the point is that people lost their minds when things didn't go the way they expected right off the bat. Folks wanted Satt fired, his house sold, etc. There was also the unrealistic expectation that he could be bought out and a new coach paid as well. This thread coupled with the excellent one about the tough games we have had in the past few years is an effort to tell lunatics to calm down and let the very experienced coaches coach.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:24 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:09 am
I acknowledge that the comparison is not completely the same but the point is that people lost their minds when things didn't go the way they expected right off the bat. Folks wanted Satt fired, his house sold, etc. There was also the unrealistic expectation that he could be bought out and a new coach paid as well. This thread coupled with the excellent one about the tough games we have had in the past few years is an effort to tell lunatics to calm down and let the very experienced coaches coach.
.... and we were 1-5 then, 2-0 now...

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:25 am

It is valid to bring this up and make the point that “things can turn around with patience”.....but this was such a different situation, it actually hurts the argument. Satterfield was having to rebuild a program that had started showing cracks in the foundation. It was fair to say, “let’s wait until Coach gets his guys in place etc”. In our current scenario, we know we have the guys in place, it’s up to the coach to maximize. We knew our young DBs would be a weakness (at least early on), and that our LBs would be a strength. We knew the Stout loss would hurt the movement of our LBs. So why are we playing man outside and pinching our backers down on the line?

Look, Roof probably has seen more football than any of us combined. But sometimes the game changes and when someone has been doing something so long, they can have mental blocks and lose the ability to see things that are right in front of them. Hell, Mcvay is younger than 99% of the NFCs coaches and he out coached all of them to make the Super Bowl last year. I’m trying to be more optimistic than pessimistic, but the lack of adjustments over a two game stretch just gives me the feeling that we will have some Ls this season that we just shouldn’t have when our offense can score. This season was laid out nicely to make a statement to the state of NC and the CFB world.
The Appalachian State

RunawayJM

Unread post by RunawayJM » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:05 am

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:25 am
It is valid to bring this up and make the point that “things can turn around with patience”.....but this was such a different situation, it actually hurts the argument. Satterfield was having to rebuild a program that had started showing cracks in the foundation. It was fair to say, “let’s wait until Coach gets his guys in place etc”. In our current scenario, we know we have the guys in place, it’s up to the coach to maximize. We knew our young DBs would be a weakness (at least early on), and that our LBs would be a strength. We knew the Stout loss would hurt the movement of our LBs. So why are we playing man outside and pinching our backers down on the line?

Look, Roof probably has seen more football than any of us combined. But sometimes the game changes and when someone has been doing something so long, they can have mental blocks and lose the ability to see things that are right in front of them. Hell, Mcvay is younger than 99% of the NFCs coaches and he out coached all of them to make the Super Bowl last year. I’m trying to be more optimistic than pessimistic, but the lack of adjustments over a two game stretch just gives me the feeling that we will have some Ls this season that we just shouldn’t have when our offense can score. This season was laid out nicely to make a statement to the state of NC and the CFB world.
Agreed. Satterfield was also a new head coach.

Roof has decades of mediocrity as a DC on his resume.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:20 am

Roof's "decades of mediocrity as a DC" (from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Roof#Coaching_career
)

One can judge for themselves if his career has been mediocre. If it has been why do HCs continue to hire him.

This doesn't necessarily absolve him of the deficiencies that we all saw in our defensive performance on Saturday. But to impugn his career is below the belt in my opinion.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:20 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:20 am
Roof's "decades of mediocrity as a DC" (from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Roof#Coaching_career
)

One can judge for themselves if his career has been mediocre. If it has been why do HCs continue to hire him.

This doesn't necessarily absolve him of the deficiencies that we all saw in our defensive performance on Saturday. But to impugn his career is below the belt in my opinion.
My take in this situation is that Drink really doesn’t know that much about defense. He was familiar with Roof and knew he had a lot of experience and was the easy choice for the DC. Drink has said he wanted to be the only person that was new at his job.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:28 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:20 am
hapapp wrote:
)

My take in this situation is that Drink really doesn’t know that much about defense. He was familiar with Roof and knew he had a lot of experience and was the easy choice for the DC. Drink has said he wanted to be the only person that was new at his job.
Makes sense considering the level of tenure he sought for each position.
The Appalachian State

RunawayJM

Unread post by RunawayJM » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:22 pm

hapapp wrote:
)

The flip side of ‘why do coaches keep hiring him’ is why has he left so many schools after only a brief time there? In most cases it’s 1-2 year stints as a DC.

And he’s pretty much made lateral moves to mediocre programs except for Auburn and PSU but both of those schools were in trouble when he arrived and couldn't attract a top coordinator.

And his track record at those schools is not impressive. Aside from NCSU, his defenses have ranked in the bottom 50% in total team defense. And he’a Run a 4-3 at all of his stops.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:51 pm

RunawayJM wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:22 pm
hapapp wrote:
)

The flip side of ‘why do coaches keep hiring him’ is why has he left so many schools after only a brief time there? In most cases it’s 1-2 year stints as a DC.

And he’s pretty much made lateral moves to mediocre programs except for Auburn and PSU but both of those schools were in trouble when he arrived and couldn't attract a top coordinator.

And his track record at those schools is not impressive. Aside from NCSU, his defenses have ranked in the bottom 50% in total team defense. And he’a Run a 4-3 at all of his stops.
And the answer to why he has left those programs was often because he was hired by the next team. This argument becomes very circular but I don't believe that anybody continues to get hired at these types of programs without having considerable knowledge. The message board characterizations are revisionist and skewed.

Coach Drink hired Roof because he had worked with him and respected his knowledge and skills. Period. To suggest otherwise is insulting to both men and is frankly unsubstantiated opinion (unless your name is Eliah Drinkwitz). FYI...He did not run a 4-3 at all his stops. That position was discussed and dispelled back in December so I'll refer you to those threads.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:58 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:51 pm
RunawayJM wrote:
hapapp wrote:
)

And the answer to why he has left those programs was often because he was hired by the next team. This argument becomes very circular but I don't believe that anybody continues to get hired at these types of programs without having considerable knowledge. The message board characterizations are revisionist and skewed.

Coach Drink hired Roof because he had worked with him and respected his knowledge and skills. Period. To suggest otherwise is insulting to both men and is frankly unsubstantiated opinion (unless your name is Eliah Drinkwitz). FYI...He did not run a 4-3 at all his stops. That position was discussed and dispelled back in December so I'll refer you to those threads.
EXACTLY!!!!

The man must know something or he would still be getting jobs. My god look at the resumes of tons of coaches. Short stints all over the place. The whole point of rekindling this thread was, in part, the title. Short and sweet...Fire him. We had craziness abounding all of the board. Don't give ANYONE the opportunity to adjust or to make ANY mistakes. There was moaning and groaning the moment the man (Roof) was hired. God I hope the coaching staff doesn't read this crap every day.

We are 2-0 for crying out loud. Heaven forbid adjustments are made and we actually beat UNC with a solid defensive effort. There will have to be an eating crow thread. Just for the sake of argument maybe just maybe some of the guys on the defense are not as great as we think they are. I hope that is not the case but sometimes it happens.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:11 pm

I’m trying to be positive and optimistic based on the recent things I’ve been hearing over the last few days.... but if we beat the brakes off of UNC with our defense being the brightest aspect, I’ll come on here and happily eat crow. I think most of us are concerned because it was two weeks straight with no real adjustment (outside of the increased blitzes to pressure the UNCC QB more).
The Appalachian State

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:51 pm
RunawayJM wrote:
hapapp wrote:
)

I like to think of it this way: Drink and Roof probably work well together. Drink may be the type of HC that Roof works very well under, allowing him to put all that knowledge and guidance where it needs to go (kinks to be expected, hopefully ironed out soon). I'm not a football expert and can't "pick out good coaches from bad", so I'll trust the experts (the actual ones) and await the results/trends that develop.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:05 pm

The Rock wrote:
hapapp wrote:
)

Drink actually was a defensive guy and only switched over because Gus Malzahn told him that was the way to get to be a head coach. That was a story he told in one of his first pressers after being hired. Unless my memory is just totally off. Plus, just because he has been on the offensive side of the ball doesn't mean that he doesn't understand defense. We have an entire board of experts on here that I don't think coached on any collegiate level. If they all know so much, why would any of them think that Drink doesn't, that just doesn't make any sense. Drink knows defense and also knows that Roof does as well, and so do all those other head coaches that continue to hire him.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:19 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:05 pm
The Rock wrote:
hapapp wrote:
)

Drink actually was a defensive guy and only switched over because Gus Malzahn told him that was the way to get to be a head coach. That was a story he told in one of his first pressers after being hired. Unless my memory is just totally off. Plus, just because he has been on the offensive side of the ball doesn't mean that he doesn't understand defense. We have an entire board of experts on here that I don't think coached on any collegiate level. If they all know so much, why would any of them think that Drink doesn't, that just doesn't make any sense. Drink knows defense and also knows that Roof does as well, and so do all those other head coaches that continue to hire him.
If memory serves, Drink started as a quality control GA at Auburn and helped Cam Newton (offense) during the championship season. Roof was the DC that year too.
At Ark St. he was a RB coach, then co-OC. When he moved to Boise St. he was OC And qb coach, and the same at State.
I don’t think he has ever done anything on the defense side of the ball in college

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”