Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sunday Morning QB ---

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Sunday Morning QB ---

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:05 am

First, in full disclosure, I did not attempt to weed through all the different topics on the board since the game ended. Secondly, I am disappointed in our record at this stage of the season. Thirdly, Coach Satterfield is not going to get fired. PERIOD!
1. Those of you out there who pushed so hard for APP to move up to FBS (I was more of an on the fence guy but once it happened I totally supported it) we need to heard from in a positive way - I don't know anyone who thought this was going to be an easy transition - We are still in an NCAA mandated transition year - THOSE WHO REALLY WANTED THIS MOVE UP NEED TO BE HERE SUPPORTING THE COACHES, THE TEAM, AND THE FANS !!!
2. It is so disheartening to read every week that coaches should be fired - these are men, in several cases, who have uprooted their families and made the move to Boone. I guarandamntee you it wasn't to get rich. I have never heard that they don't give their all for ASU, who do you think pounded the pavement all over the country to find these really good young players we have and convinced them to sign on the dotted line?
3. The game itself --- A few comments I did read, I saw things like "showing no progress" - Well offensively, I am not sure how you say that - 630 yards of total offense - against anyone - is getting it done --- 48 points - GOOD - 4 turnovers - BAD
4. Taylor is getting better and he will continue to do so. I am 100% sure no one on here feels worse than he does over the INTs - We saw, I think, a breakout game for the Wide Receivers --- Meadors adds some size and speed and Malachi continues to improve - McElfresh has great hands and he can play for me any day - BoBo had his best game - McGuire is steady and there are others not playing (RS or injury)
5. Upshaw and Cox both have shown flashes this season and both went for over 100 yards yesterday - for a FR and a SO we have good things to look forward to
6. Don't know where the comments (If I understood them correctly) about getting bigger on the line and knocked around came from - The Jumbo OL started yesterday =
Lamm 6'6" - 305
Collins 6'3" - 295 - SO
Chapman 6'1" - 275
Gossett 6'6" - 315 - FR
Nunn - 6'4" - 290 - FR
I would say we are in good hands here
7. Kicking game - I know Coach Moore was always concerned about using the same guy for punting and place kicking - look around college ball and see how many guys do this double duty (not talking kick-offs) - It is very hard and to me it looks to be affecting Critcher --- This needs to be addressed this off-season
8. Defense - I don't know what to say here - I never played nor coached in a 3-4 alignment so I'm not sure what we are missing with the front 7 --- I think basically we have done a good job against the run this season but the pass defense is really getting eaten up and as mentioned I don't know what adjustments can be made there --- I WOULD ASK ALL TO REMEMBER OUR PASS DEFENSE IN 2004 - and how they got so much better over the years ---
9. This game??? - The first thing that jumps out to me is at the end of regulation - I just did not understand the play calling when we got the 1st down around the 10 - sure it's the right move if we had a kicker like LU to play for the FG - We don't and that confused me - Personally I would have gone all out to score a TD right there - no playing for the 3 --- Watching on TV I thought he made that FG but he should have been kicking it more in the middle of the field - Why do they place the XP attempt right between the hashes? ---
10. When a team scores 48 points with 630 yards offense even with 4 turnovers that team should win (unless they play in the Big 12)
11. I think many on here are embarrassed because it was Liberty who beat us, not that losing to most FCS teams would be embarrassing but I think for some Liberty adds to the Flame (pun)
12. Please quit screaming about firing coaches and try to post some positive changes you think might help this team finish the season stronger ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

JROCK98

Re: Sunday Morning QB ---

Unread post by JROCK98 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:41 am

I think the offense will be fine going forward but on defense as long as we play a soft zone with no pass rush and DBs giving a 10 yard cushion we are going to continue to lose games.
Not going for the TD with the ball on the 12 with 58 seconds remaining is a real head scratcher that I cannot even begin to explain.

WataugaMan
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:45 am

JROCK98 wrote:I think the offense will be fine going forward but on defense as long as we play a soft zone with no pass rush and DBs giving a 10 yard cushion we are going to continue to lose games.
Not going for the TD with the ball on the 12 with 58 seconds remaining is a real head scratcher that I cannot even begin to explain.
Maybe the staff was thinking the ball could be coughed up (again, happens way too much these days!) or an interception could be thrown (which, is how the game ended anyway), who knows?
Last edited by WataugaMan on Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:45 am

I was pro FBS and I will be there for every home game this year in support because I love this team and I love my school. That will never change

One change I would like to see on defense is the use of a 4-3 on passing downs. Our rush just isn't getting there and I think putting 4 actual down lineman might help

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:54 am

JROCK98 wrote:I think the offense will be fine going forward but on defense as long as we play a soft zone with no pass rush and DBs giving a 10 yard cushion we are going to continue to lose games.
Not only that, but I believe we had 2 timeouts left. Instead of kicking it on 3rd down, run 1 more play to center the ball between the hashes, then call the timeout and kick it on 4th down. Say what you want to about the coaching staff, but in my opinion, that wasn't handled well and should fall on the coaches. Especially with having a new/ replacement kicker in the game

MACAPP86

Unread post by MACAPP86 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:05 am

Pro FBS as well and will be able to make all but two home games. Am cheering hard for the team and coaches. Defense, we got some real challenges there, primarily on pass defense... lack of pressure and more aggressive coverage. Not sure if it's scheme, personnel, etc.

Offense, a lot to feel positive about... cut the turnovers, avoid procedure penalties (believe we did better yesterday) and get better at putting it over the goal line from within the 20. Flames, 6-6 in red zone, 4 td's and 2 fg's. ASU, 1-4 with ZERO td's and 1 fg.

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:09 am

1. Those of you out there who pushed so hard for APP to move up to FBS (I was more of an on the fence guy but once it happened I totally supported it) we need to heard from in a positive way - I don't know anyone who thought this was going to be an easy transition - We are still in an NCAA mandated transition year - THOSE WHO REALLY WANTED THIS MOVE UP NEED TO BE HERE SUPPORTING THE COACHES, THE TEAM, AND THE FANS !!!
2. It is so disheartening to read every week that coaches should be fired - these are men, in several cases, who have uprooted their families and made the move to Boone. I guarandamntee you it wasn't to get rich. I have never heard that they don't give their all for ASU, who do you think pounded the pavement all over the country to find these really good young players we have and convinced them to sign on the dotted line?

Let's not go there with the FBS vs. FCS debate here. As evidenced last year and last night, the team is not winning games against mid-tier FCS programs. Regardless of the strategy to build towards FBS, losing to Liberty is not acceptable. It would seem this team would not fare well against a competitive all-FCS schedule.

As to our head coach, he isn't going anywhere, and the current staff is certainly not 100% responsible for the current state of the program. It was a huge mess two years ago. With that being stated, there is absolutely no reason ASU should have lost the game yesterday and the game to Southern Miss. These coaches may have uprooted their families as you stated from wherever, but it is the profession THEY CHOSE and like the rest of us they have to be accountable for the product on the field. Relative to other professions, certain members of the staff are paid very well and they have to own this.
Last edited by MountainMan2020 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:14 am

The simple fact of the matter is this: We have 1.5 years under Woody's D with the same results week after week.

We are out gaining our opponents in total offense but getting outscored.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:55 am

WAS NOT RESURRECTING THE FBS/FCS ARGUMENT - Just making the point that some of here who were all-in for the move-up are now all-in for bitching about where we are --- THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT ABOUT THE MOVE !!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:58 am

WVAPPeer wrote:WAS NOT RESURRECTING THE FBS/FCS ARGUMENT - Just making the point that some of here who were all-in for the move-up are now all-in for bitching about where we are --- THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT ABOUT THE MOVE !!!
I don't believe the "bitching" is about the move, rather it's on the overall product being put on the field.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:04 am

WataugaMan wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:WAS NOT RESURRECTING THE FBS/FCS ARGUMENT - Just making the point that some of here who were all-in for the move-up are now all-in for bitching about where we are --- THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT ABOUT THE MOVE !!!
I don't believe the "bitching" is about the move, rather it's on the overall product being put on the field.
I understand that - but we need support from these people not constant complaining --- everyone knew it was going to take time ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:08 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
I understand that - but we need support from these people not constant complaining --- everyone knew it was going to take time ---
I believe everyone knew it was going to take time. Regardless, being 1-5 and winless against all schools that offer scholarships is not acceptable! Yes, it's going to take time. However, losing to an average FCS team goes beyond the "it's going to take time" excuse. We should already be better than that.

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:21 am

This has more to do about playing sound football and competing on the field, regardless of FBS or FCS. Athletic administration and many fans were naïve to think we could replace a successful, veteran head coach with an unproven, first time head coach, and never miss a beat. In fact, it seemed as if some thought we would be better for the change. In this case, we have clearly taken several steps backwards on the field in terms of fundamentals (blocking and tackling, taking care of the football, mistakes and penalties). As of right now, we are an below average FCS team, which is a bitter pill to swallow.

manonabuffalo

Unread post by manonabuffalo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:45 am

I don't need to discuss it, I want him fired like last year fired. He is done.

Remember how he came in all guns blazing, Always Attack, run the score up (going for 2 the first TD of the season), cowboy like......well where are we now? FIRE HIM.

GoAppsGo92

Unread post by GoAppsGo92 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:53 am

Yeah, but you went there none-the-less. This team lost to a 3-3 big south team last night that was depleted by injuries. Losing last night has nothing to do with the transition being hard or anything related to FBS. This was a winnable game against a team that should have been out-manned... and we could not stop them from scoring.

We are at rock bottom. We pulled two red shirts to score 48 points and still didn't win. We are completely woeful on defense, and I can't figure out how to fix it except to scrap it... and we might as well... we are looking at 1-11 square in the face, we might as well try something different and try to learn from it at this point.

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:53 am

manonabuffalo wrote:I don't need to discuss it, I want him fired like last year fired. He is done.

Remember how he came in all guns blazing, Always Attack, run the score up (going for 2 the first TD of the season), cowboy like......well where are we now? FIRE HIM.
and replace him with who right now?

manonabuffalo

Unread post by manonabuffalo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:56 am

mtnjax wrote:
manonabuffalo wrote:I don't need to discuss it, I want him fired like last year fired. He is done.

and replace him with who right now?
Anyone, we will have the same result for the rest of the season. Then we can collect ourselves and actually perform a real coaching search. Crap let one of the GA's take a crack...they have as much HC experience as Scott.

Send a message that this is not how we play App State Football.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:05 pm

If you feel bad today, think how those kids in the Black and Gold feel this morning. It certainly looked like they were playing hard and giving it their all even if not in a winning effort. As long as they keep playing I'll keep supporting them regardless what I think of the coaching or results.

If failure is the best teacher, these players will be very savvy in the future. They still look hungry to me !

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:14 pm

GoAppsGo92 wrote:
Yeah, but you went there none-the-less. This team lost to a 3-3 big south team last night that was depleted by injuries. Losing last night has nothing to do with the transition being hard or anything related to FBS. This was a winnable game against a team that should have been out-manned... and we could not stop them from scoring.

We are at rock bottom. We pulled two red shirts to score 48 points and still didn't win. We are completely woeful on defense, and I can't figure out how to fix it except to scrap it... and we might as well... we are looking at 1-11 square in the face, we might as well try something different and try to learn from it at this point.
Please read what I wrote --- I'm asking for "fans" to come out with support - not complaints ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:41 pm

SpeedkingATL wrote:If you feel bad today, think how those kids in the Black and Gold feel this morning. It certainly looked like they were playing hard and giving it their all even if not in a winning effort. As long as they keep playing I'll keep supporting them regardless what I think of the coaching or results.

If failure is the best teacher, these players will be very savvy in the future. They still look hungry to me !
Not sure what you saw, but I saw a very low emotion team out there last night save a few plays. Saw several players with aw shucks arm sling and my bads. Know what, just don't allow it to happen. Defense is half scheme and half desire. Not sure of either.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”