Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sunday Morning QB ---

App91
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sunday Morning QB ---

Unread post by App91 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:44 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:WAS NOT RESURRECTING THE FBS/FCS ARGUMENT - Just making the point that some of here who were all-in for the move-up are now all-in for bitching about where we are --- THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT ABOUT THE MOVE !!!
I don't believe the "bitching" is about the move, rather it's on the overall product being put on the field.
I understand that - but we need support from these people not constant complaining --- everyone knew it was going to take time ---
I believe everyone knew it was going to take time. Regardless, being 1-5 and winless against all schools that offer scholarships is not acceptable! Yes, it's going to take time. However, losing to an average FCS team goes beyond the "it's going to take time" excuse. We should already be better than that.
Georgia southern says Hello! This going to take time crap is a fallacy. We do not have time, can't afford it. We simply do not have the fan base to build, we are already down attendance from 3 yrs ago. We are not in a metro area where people can just happen by the big event. You gotta want to to go to the game to get there. The time thing was a mistake from the get go and the one who made that mistake needs to go.

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:02 pm

Time to scrap the 3-4. Not getting any pressure on the QB. And if your linebackers are making tackles deep on running plays, you're in trouble. The coverage is too soft. Get 4 down linemen, get some pressure on the QB so you can play tighter coverage. Blitz a linebacker once in a while. Something. Anything.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:11 pm

I am pro-FBS, was way early and still am today. Nothing we have done changes that. It is a fact that we were much worse than two 8-4 records indicated prior to transition. We ALL knew this was going to take time, and I mean several years. Yea, we had many issues yesterday but as one friend asked me, "How much better would you have felt if we had won?", Truth is not much. This individual win/loss isn't the deciding factor on our overall success as a program. We cannot gauge our success on one or two games but rather our progress over multiple years.

Let's all take a deep breath and see how this team and coaches progress over the next 1.5 yrs and then ask if we have made progress.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:19 pm

[/quote]Not only that, but I believe we had 2 timeouts left. Instead of kicking it on 3rd down, run 1 more play to center the ball between the hashes, then call the timeout and kick it on 4th down. Say what you want to about the coaching staff, but in my opinion, that wasn't handled well and should fall on the coaches. Especially with having a new/ replacement kicker in the game[/quote]

I believe we only had one left before the 2nd down play? (did we leave on one the table?) That's why a pass into the end zone should have been attempted for the score...incomplete and the clock stops, and time to set up for the field goal...instead we run the ball to the sidelines, don't get out of bounds and we had to burn our last time out + the ball is now on the hash instead of centered up. SO, at least if your playing for the FG run south not west in this situation. I still think a pass into the corner of the end zone to Simms was what should have been called before we settled for the FG attempt.

luvyosef

Unread post by luvyosef » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:27 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:First, in full disclosure, I did not attempt to weed through all the different topics on the board since the game ended. Secondly, I am disappointed in our record at this stage of the season. Thirdly, Coach Satterfield is not going to get fired. PERIOD!
1. Those of you out there who pushed so hard for APP to move up to FBS (I was more of an on the fence guy but once it happened I totally supported it) we need to heard from in a positive way - I don't know anyone who thought this was going to be an easy transition - We are still in an NCAA mandated transition year - THOSE WHO REALLY WANTED THIS MOVE UP NEED TO BE HERE SUPPORTING THE COACHES, THE TEAM, AND THE FANS !!!
2. It is so disheartening to read every week that coaches should be fired - these are men, in several cases, who have uprooted their families and made the move to Boone. I guarandamntee you it wasn't to get rich. I have never heard that they don't give their all for ASU, who do you think pounded the pavement all over the country to find these really good young players we have and convinced them to sign on the dotted line?
3. The game itself --- A few comments I did read, I saw things like "showing no progress" - Well offensively, I am not sure how you say that - 630 yards of total offense - against anyone - is getting it done --- 48 points - GOOD - 4 turnovers - BAD
4. Taylor is getting better and he will continue to do so. I am 100% sure no one on here feels worse than he does over the INTs - We saw, I think, a breakout game for the Wide Receivers --- Meadors adds some size and speed and Malachi continues to improve - McElfresh has great hands and he can play for me any day - BoBo had his best game - McGuire is steady and there are others not playing (RS or injury)
5. Upshaw and Cox both have shown flashes this season and both went for over 100 yards yesterday - for a FR and a SO we have good things to look forward to
6. Don't know where the comments (If I understood them correctly) about getting bigger on the line and knocked around came from - The Jumbo OL started yesterday =
Lamm 6'6" - 305
Collins 6'3" - 295 - SO
Chapman 6'1" - 275
Gossett 6'6" - 315 - FR
Nunn - 6'4" - 290 - FR
I would say we are in good hands here
7. Kicking game - I know Coach Moore was always concerned about using the same guy for punting and place kicking - look around college ball and see how many guys do this double duty (not talking kick-offs) - It is very hard and to me it looks to be affecting Critcher --- This needs to be addressed this off-season
8. Defense - I don't know what to say here - I never played nor coached in a 3-4 alignment so I'm not sure what we are missing with the front 7 --- I think basically we have done a good job against the run this season but the pass defense is really getting eaten up and as mentioned I don't know what adjustments can be made there --- I WOULD ASK ALL TO REMEMBER OUR PASS DEFENSE IN 2004 - and how they got so much better over the years ---
9. This game??? - The first thing that jumps out to me is at the end of regulation - I just did not understand the play calling when we got the 1st down around the 10 - sure it's the right move if we had a kicker like LU to play for the FG - We don't and that confused me - Personally I would have gone all out to score a TD right there - no playing for the 3 --- Watching on TV I thought he made that FG but he should have been kicking it more in the middle of the field - Why do they place the XP attempt right between the hashes? ---
10. When a team scores 48 points with 630 yards offense even with 4 turnovers that team should win (unless they play in the Big 12)
11. I think many on here are embarrassed because it was Liberty who beat us, not that losing to most FCS teams would be embarrassing but I think for some Liberty adds to the Flame (pun)
12. Please quit screaming about firing coaches and try to post some positive changes you think might help this team finish the season stronger ---
You make way too much sense to waste your time on a message board. Spot the freak on! Go Apps!
Appalachian State University (Excellence since 1899)

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:28 pm

My weekends to Boone include a six hour round trip. I was disheartened and thought about a lot of things that went wrong yesterday on that trip home. But, I can't think of a place I would rather be than back in Boone on November 1. These guys need our support.

No case can really be made that we are anything right now other than a bad team. We hurt ourselves more than the opposition harms us. We have all come to expect something going wrong at the very time we need to execute. The missed FG is the case in point. But, as long as we continue to put ourselves in those positions, the execution will eventually come. Maybe not the next game or the next but I do think the talent is there that it will all fall into place.

No doubt we will need to learn to stop somebody if we hope to beat somebody. Like many I'm frustrated with out poor play especially on 3rd down. I think this is where our size and strength are the most lacking. The answer there may simply rely on getting better and bigger players in those positions.

My guess is we have some coaches that may need replacing. That is Scott's job going forward in the postseason. Only he can really ascertain what's going on there.

I don't suggest we just say it doesn't matter, or it's just a game. We wouldn't spend our money and our time devoted to following App football if it didn't hold a place of importance for us. However, sometimes we need to step back and realize that one's ego and identity is not tied up in how the App State football team performs on a given Saturday. I'm no less proud of being an Appalachian alumnus today than I was when we were at the top of FCS world. It's tougher world we are in now and we need to show that we have the fortitude to see ourselves through this without throwing anyone under the bus. Give them the opportunity to prove that the faith placed in them was wise. So, yes, give a Mountaineer a break.

That doesn't mean I won't shake my head or complain about this call or this mistake at the next game. But, I hope when the final whistle sounds, I can continue to remind myself that "Its (still) great to be a Mountaineer!"

luvyosef

Unread post by luvyosef » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:31 pm

SpeedkingATL wrote:If you feel bad today, think how those kids in the Black and Gold feel this morning. It certainly looked like they were playing hard and giving it their all even if not in a winning effort. As long as they keep playing I'll keep supporting them regardless what I think of the coaching or results.

If failure is the best teacher, these players will be very savvy in the future. They still look hungry to me !
Another man that makes too much sense for message board drivel. A beer to you sir!
Appalachian State University (Excellence since 1899)

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:04 am

AtlAppMan wrote:I am pro-FBS, was way early and still am today. Nothing we have done changes that. It is a fact that we were much worse than two 8-4 records indicated prior to transition. We ALL knew this was going to take time, and I mean several years. Yea, we had many issues yesterday but as one friend asked me, "How much better would you have felt if we had won?", Truth is not much. This individual win/loss isn't the deciding factor on our overall success as a program. We cannot gauge our success on one or two games but rather our progress over multiple years.

Let's all take a deep breath and see how this team and coaches progress over the next 1.5 yrs and then ask if we have made progress.
ATL, that is the thing that we do not have, Time. Not sure if you are seeing, but attendance=revenue is way down and will continue to do so. Say what you will, we must have those paying fringe fans. NOv. 1 may be the first game in my memory that is under the capicity. That is devestating to the athletic staff. I do not care what the EXCUSES for this debacle are, it is in front of us and it is a performance that would not be allowed to continue in any other realm of the world.

IMO, to help the fan base, Scott must do something more decisive, than burning shirts, today to salvage anything from this year. Reassignments would be good. Interview with Tommy stating that he gets it and has a plan would do wonders. The time for Coach speak is long gone. My concern is in his interviews he sounds lost.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:33 am

91 - I thought we were supposed to offset expenses from the SB and ESPN payouts? - the $1 million from Michigan had to help the coffers ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:54 am

App91 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:I am pro-FBS, was way early and still am today. Nothing we have done changes that. It is a fact that we were much worse than two 8-4 records indicated prior to transition. We ALL knew this was going to take time, and I mean several years. Yea, we had many issues yesterday but as one friend asked me, "How much better would you have felt if we had won?", Truth is not much. This individual win/loss isn't the deciding factor on our overall success as a program. We cannot gauge our success on one or two games but rather our progress over multiple years.

ATL, that is the thing that we do not have, Time. Not sure if you are seeing, but attendance=revenue is way down and will continue to do so. Say what you will, we must have those paying fringe fans. NOv. 1 may be the first game in my memory that is under the capicity. That is devestating to the athletic staff. I do not care what the EXCUSES for this debacle are, it is in front of us and it is a performance that would not be allowed to continue in any other realm of the world.

IMO, to help the fan base, Scott must do something more decisive, than burning shirts, today to salvage anything from this year. Reassignments would be good. Interview with Tommy stating that he gets it and has a plan would do wonders. The time for Coach speak is long gone. My concern is in his interviews he sounds lost.
A question and not a challenge but what portion of our ticket sales are walk up the day of the game?

SS has a plan. Just because he hasn't shared it with us publicly doesn't mean that it doesn't exist or you are not seeing it. He would not have made it through the interview process without laying out a plan.

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:15 pm

I think this sums up where we are right now. I could see it in several players faces on the sidelines, especially from Marcus Cox after the 2nd fumble and from Taylor Lamb's reaction after the overtime interception.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:52 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:91 - I thought we were supposed to offset expenses from the SB and ESPN payouts? - the $1 million from Michigan had to help the coffers ---
Dub, Oh yeah, that is part of it. I am sure, however, that a massive drop in attendance was NOT part of that formula!

I did the math, 4k less people per game = $720k at the end of the year.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:54 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
App91 wrote:

A question and not a challenge but what portion of our ticket sales are walk up the day of the game?

SS has a plan. Just because he hasn't shared it with us publicly doesn't mean that it doesn't exist or you are not seeing it. He would not have made it through the interview process without laying out a plan.
That I do not know. I do know that we do not have 30k-whatever students show up, that many season tix holders. Truly walk up, no clue, but we do have a good deal of weekly ticket buyers.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:13 pm

App91 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:91 - I thought we were supposed to offset expenses from the SB and ESPN payouts? - the $1 million from Michigan had to help the coffers ---
Dub, Oh yeah, that is part of it. I am sure, however, that a massive drop in attendance was NOT part of that formula!

Yeah - I have no idea either - I would think the powers to be knew we couldn't keep up the 27-32k attendance with the move up - don't think we have seen a "massive" drop in attendance yet. I guess we need to understand what "massive" is? - I would think next years schedule would be better than this years which in my opinion is poor (not just the teams but how the schedule has no real balance) ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:19 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
App91 wrote:

Yeah - I have no idea either - I would think the powers to be knew we couldn't keep up the 27-32k attendance with the move up - don't think we have seen a "massive" drop in attendance yet. I guess we need to understand what "massive" is? - I would think next years schedule would be better than this years which in my opinion is poor (not just the teams but how the schedule has no real balance) ---
I did the math in a post and cannot find it. We aer down about 4k since the 2011 season at about 24k ish by the end of the year. That equates to $720k in less revenue based on $30 a ticket. 4 k is not massive, but I did that math before this loss. I can guarantee that attendance will not increase with this. I think we will see the first sub capacity crowd (non-playoff) this year since I can remember.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:21 pm

I would say that 4,000 number is pretty massive if it means $720,000 less in revenue dollars. I haven't done the math myself so I am relying on the other post but that seems like a massive number of dollars lost to me. Wouldn't you agree?

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:36 pm

t4pizza wrote:I would say that 4,000 number is pretty massive if it means $720,000 less in revenue dollars. I haven't done the math myself so I am relying on the other post but that seems like a massive number of dollars lost to me. Wouldn't you agree?
I looked it up.
Avg. attendance base on media guide.
2010=29,400
2011=28,000
2012=27,900
2013-24,800

So far this year.
Liberty, 26,000 (this has to be tickets distributed because there was not 26k within a 1 mile radius of the stadium)
USA-24,200
Campbell-25,800
Right now we are just about 25k, but I am sure that is going lower.

SO yes, this is a crisis IMO

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:05 pm

Thought I would take a look back to the end of an era and beginning of the current run. This was after the OT loss to Liberty putting us at 1-5.
Funny how things have changed in the last 4 years.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:20 pm

We should go back to when we lost to VMI

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:38 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:05 pm
Thought I would take a look back to the end of an era and beginning of the current run. This was after the OT loss to Liberty putting us at 1-5.
Funny how things have changed in the last 4 years.
There was some big ass crow to consume in that thread.....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”