"Give a Mountaineer a chance."

appstate77
School: Appalachian State

"Give a Mountaineer a chance."

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:31 am

I have a five year old grandson. His mother, grandmother and I do our best to discipline him and raise him correctly. Yet he still gets in trouble, gets frowny faces in school and has time outs at home. It will take him all of his first 18 years+ to grow up.

Scott Satterfield is an educator dealing with 18-22 year old kids, many of them who are Frosh, RFrosh, Sophs or RSophs who were high school all stars. They still think their flatulence doesn't stink. People whine about team discipline, remember "Yosef" at App. Did you always make good decisions? I didn't. I learned in my Psych classes in Boone that it takes us over 13 times to be exposed to a teaching before we hear and embrace it. Many of these kids are hearing football and life reality for the first time. (By the way are we hearing of any Sean Price type issues this season? Few if any.)

At the end of Saturday Evening Quarterback, DJ, answering a caller who threw SS totally under the bus , thoughtfully said the above; "Give a Mountaineer a chance." Scott is one of us.

He was given a four year contract for a reason. Our administration understands, still, that it takes a coach awhile to get his people and recruiting classes in place. Scott has/is dealing with: a new Chancellor, new AD, new conference, new classification, not to mention the awkward ending to JM's coaching term. The guy has taken on a large and burdensome task. I hope, dearly hope, that App never goes to the "win at all costs" philosophy that earns NCAA probations and sanctions. That would embarrass me much more than a 1-5 record.

Our former Dline coach Mark Speir in Cullowhee, whom I am proud to call friend, could count his wins from his first two years on one hand. In these years he got rid of the deadwood, installed his program brought in his classes and now look where he is. WCU is leading the SOCON and staring at a playoff berth.

"Give a Mountaineer a chance". I am and I shall. He is one of us, wears the same class ring that I wear. In a preseason presser Scott subtly asked us not to measure success this season in wins and losses, but the progress of his very young team. Scott knows what he has. I am guessing a one and five record is not that much of a surprise to him. What I am sure hurts him is some of us turning on him like last week's leftovers.

"Give a Mountaineer a chance"

Serving as chaplain for a professional sports league has taught me a lot. Much of what goes on we don't know and in some cases legally, cannot know. The outside perception is that the coaches, leadership etc. are incompetent. Nothing can be further from the truth. They know and they lose sleep, health, families and sanity trying to fix it.

By 2016 I think we will be happy we did.
Last edited by appstate77 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

NewApp

Re: "Give a Mountaineer a chance."

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:43 am

If a bowl game is the measure, then I think 2016 will be successful. With as many minor bowls available as there are combined with our name and following, if we just get our head above water, I think we can do it. At any rate Satt is owed years.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

GoAppsGo92

Unread post by GoAppsGo92 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:51 am

I'll give a Mountaineer a chance.

But I will not be driving 6 hours round trip plus gas and food anymore this year. App has my money for club and season tickets... and they will next year. But I'll be watching from ESPN 3 from here on out... like a lot of other fans based on the empty season ticket seats I've seen at the last three home games.

I'm not calling for Satt's head, though it's apparent that a shake up is needed especially on the defensive staff. But we are not getting better, in fact we are getting worse on defense... LU is not Michigan or Georgia Southern... but they scored more points on us than either of those and South Alabama to boot. 1-21 on stopping third downs. Horrible.

So, yeah, I'm giving him a chance. But I can catch the game on ESPN 3 and turn it off and not lose a day. This 20 year season ticket holder would rather spend his precious weekend time doing something else. Maybe next year.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:25 am

I understand 92, 6 hours is a long drive

its very hard

See you in 2 years

I will suffer through this and Give a Mountaineer a Chance

I will continue to CHEER LOUD, and walk away disappointed but PROUD to wear APP gear during the week and at EVERY APP game

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:54 pm

Philly, I met you 2007 in Mich. so I know a little bit and appreciate where you are coming from. That said, what in the hell are you saying? Just because he played and is an alumni we should support? Do you work in Gov't? I mean, there is nothing that you can point to that suggests this coach and his staff are coaching these kids to improve. If anything, they regress. I know coaches do not make the plays, but you can't change players, you can change the coach. I know he is not going to be fired, we cannot afford that. But I am searching for any way that I can to show/voice my extreme displeasure short of not contributing to the university. At this point it may be remove the $$ from Yosef and send them to the App Foundation unit a change is made, I just don't know.

IMO, right now, to voice any support is to accept what we see happening.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:23 pm

"IMO, right now, to voice any support is to accept what we see happening."

91, my friend, I can tell you are extremely upset and I would say everyone of us is in some level of disappointment. You have stated as I have, Satterfield is not going to be fired. When things are really tough is when those who are struggling need the support. If, in some cases, those who aren't working hard, not caring, giving up, going thru the motions possibly don't deserve our support. I honestly don't believe this is the case with APP football. When our children struggle we don't kick them to the curb, when they have problems we don't say forget it, you aren't worth it. I am not equating raising children to supporting a football team but if we care about our team, school, etc., we don't dump them when they need us the most --- I addressed this to you, but I don't mean you singularly --- It might be later this season, next year or possibly the year after but these young guys will turn this around ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

luvyosef

Unread post by luvyosef » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:32 pm

It's 7 hours round trip for me and I'll be there. Go Apps!
Appalachian State University (Excellence since 1899)

JohnnyBurrito

Unread post by JohnnyBurrito » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:57 pm

So to make sure I understand the original post. Since Scott is an alum he is given more of a chance? So if he were not an alum we would be less likely to give him a chance? I don't get that...as a fan I want to see us win, I don't go to games as a charity event. I wouldn't care if our next coach had a western Carolina tattoo on his neck as long as he's winning games. I expected growing pains, but we were bad last year and seem to have regressed.

We lost to Liberty by the way.

1987mountaineer

Unread post by 1987mountaineer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:19 pm

Amen to what DJ said! The empty seats are the fair weather fans that compare to the wine and cheese crowd of UNC. Either you are all in or all out. I can't stand fans who only come when everything is great. Guess what people, it is called reality! Teams have up and down years and time. Things happen that are out of the control of many. Life throws you curve balls. If you can't be behind this team and group of coaches....stay at home and sit on your couch! Only TRUE FANS need to be present. Those in the past that leave early even when winning are most likely the same leaving early or not showing up when the going get's tough. How about instead of criticizing , we take a moment to reflect on times in our lives when we were losing, whether at a job, with our family, or in a variety of others ways. What happened if all of those in our support groups left our sides or gave up on us? It is the same dang thing. I am sick of all of this ridicule and bashing of everything. I SAID IT'S GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEER! I CHALLENGE MANY OF YOU TO STOP YOUR DEGRADING, RUDE, DISREPSECTFUL COMMENTS AS THEY THE STAFF AND PLAYERS HAVE FAMILIES AND THEY DON'T WANT TO READ THE FILTH AND GARBAGE THAT SOME OF YOU HAVE PUT UP ON TWITTER, CALLED IN ON CALL IN SHOWS, OR POSTED ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD. MOUNTAINEER BORN AND MOUNTAINEED BRED AND WHEN I DIE ILL BE A MOUNTAINEER DEAD...GO APPS!

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:46 pm

91, I truely feel your anger and understand it.You should have heard me screaming at the radio in my car last night driving home.

let me tell you and a few other people who I am.
- I hate losing with every cell in my body
- I am a Catholic who believes in FAITH and OUR God
- I have been 100% self sufficient since i was 18 years old
- I paid for all of my private college education
- I believe in NO government
- I have been so poor, it's embarrassing the lengths i went to survive
- I coached basketball for 18 years
- I have been at what i thought was the end many times, and GOD found a way

Things need to change. Coaches need to do a better job. They know the heat is on them, even with a contract. We are a JV team making more errors than is exceptable for any APP supporter.

But, in the end, I support the freshman, sophmore, and few juniors and seniors as long as they are out on the field fighting for APP State.

I will let the NEW AD and New Chancellor decide sometime next year who is our coach.

So, in the meantime, the players that are on that field will HEAR me yell GO APP, Fight APP, Kick A$$

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:37 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:"IMO, right now, to voice any support is to accept what we see happening."

91, my friend, I can tell you are extremely upset and I would say everyone of us is in some level of disappointment. You have stated as I have, Satterfield is not going to be fired. When things are really tough is when those who are struggling need the support. If, in some cases, those who aren't working hard, not caring, giving up, going thru the motions possibly don't deserve our support. I honestly don't believe this is the case with APP football. When our children struggle we don't kick them to the curb, when they have problems we don't say forget it, you aren't worth it. I am not equating raising children to supporting a football team but if we care about our team, school, etc., we don't dump them when they need us the most --- I addressed this to you, but I don't mean you singularly --- It might be later this season, next year or possibly the year after but these young guys will turn this around ---
WV, I see where you are going, but cannot accept the premise. This is better stated in a professional environment. We have someone who is in way over their head, and getting worse each week. In a results based business, you get it done or get out. Your argument is more of against getting rid of the kids, which I have not seen mentioned here.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:54 pm

JohnnyBurrito wrote:So to make sure I understand the original post. Since Scott is an alum he is given more of a chance? So if he were not an alum we would be less likely to give him a chance? I don't get that...as a fan I want to see us win, I don't go to games as a charity event. I wouldn't care if our next coach had a western Carolina tattoo on his neck as long as he's winning games. I expected growing pains, but we were bad last year and seem to have regressed.

It has been said on this board that recruits and parents of recruits read this and all of this negativity affects recruiting. Is it unreasonable to assume that potential future coaches may read this board to gauge the fan base? If I am a coach and I see how one of our own alumni is treated by board participants and donors then how do I like my chances to build positive relationships as an outsider? Just my opinion.

1987mountaineer

Unread post by 1987mountaineer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:23 pm

AppSt94-Preach! So true in every way!

AppGrad1

Unread post by AppGrad1 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:27 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
JohnnyBurrito wrote:So to make sure I understand the original post. Since Scott is an alum he is given more of a chance? So if he were not an alum we would be less likely to give him a chance? I don't get that...as a fan I want to see us win, I don't go to games as a charity event. I wouldn't care if our next coach had a western Carolina tattoo on his neck as long as he's winning games. I expected growing pains, but we were bad last year and seem to have regressed.

It has been said on this board that recruits and parents of recruits read this and all of this negativity affects recruiting. Is it unreasonable to assume that potential future coaches may read this board to gauge the fan base? If I am a coach and I see how one of our own alumni is treated by board participants and donors then how do I like my chances to build positive relationships as an outsider? Just my opinion.

Any coach that reads a message board after any loss will see the same from any school.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:34 pm

AppGrad1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Any coach that reads a message board after any loss will see the same from any school.
You are probably correct but there has been a lot of unreasonable and embarrassing posts today. I understand the circumstances but some things are better left unsaid in a public forum.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:59 pm

appstate77 wrote:I have a five year old grandson. His mother, grandmother and I do our best to discipline him and raise him correctly. Yet he still gets in trouble, gets frowny faces in school and has time outs at home. It will take him all of his first 18 years+ to grow up.

Scott Satterfield is an educator dealing with 18-22 year old kids, many of them who are Frosh, RFrosh, Sophs or RSophs who were high school all stars. They still think their flatulence doesn't stink. People whine about team discipline, remember "Yosef" at App. Did you always make good decisions? I didn't. I learned in my Psych classes in Boone that it takes us over 13 times to be exposed to a teaching before we hear and embrace it. Many of these kids are hearing football and life reality for the first time. (By the way are we hearing of any Sean Price type issues this season? Few if any.)

At the end of Saturday Evening Quarterback, DJ, answering a caller who threw SS totally under the bus , thoughtfully said the above; "Give a Mountaineer a chance." Scott is one of us.

He was given a four year contract for a reason. Our administration understands, still, that it takes a coach awhile to get his people and recruiting classes in place. Scott has/is dealing with: a new Chancellor, new AD, new conference, new classification, not to mention the awkward ending to JM's coaching term. The guy has taken on a large and burdensome task. I hope, dearly hope, that App never goes to the "win at all costs" philosophy that earns NCAA probations and sanctions. That would embarrass me much more than a 1-5 record.

Our former Dline coach Mark Speir in Cullowhee, whom I am proud to call friend, could count his wins from his first two years on one hand. In these years he got rid of the deadwood, installed his program brought in his classes and now look where he is. WCU is leading the SOCON and staring at a playoff berth.

"Give a Mountaineer a chance". I am and I shall. He is one of us, wears the same class ring that I wear. In a preseason presser Scott subtly asked us not to measure success this season in wins and losses, but the progress of his very young team. Scott knows what he has. I am guessing a one and five record is not that much of a surprise to him. What I am sure hurts him is some of us turning on him like last week's leftovers.

Serving as chaplain for a professional sports league has taught me a lot. Much of what goes on we don't know and in some cases legally, cannot know. The outside perception is that the coaches, leadership etc. are incompetent. Nothing can be further from the truth. They know and they lose sleep, health, families and sanity trying to fix it.

By 2016 I think we will be happy we did.
77, you and I graduated together and we saw the Brakefield years at 3-7-1, 6-5, and then the magical 8-3 year and then 6-4-1. I also heard the caller throw Satt, Beasley, the staff, the team, the film crew, the managers....all of them under the bus. I particularly liked how DJ very professionally and politely told him, besides "Give a Mountaineer a chance," to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

I am a man of loyalty. My daddy always said that the boss isn't always right but the boss is always the boss. SS is the coach and may not always be right but he's always the coach until or unless his situation changes. I call on on all the nay-sayers, critics, so-called experts, and those bashing the team and its efforts to come back in two years. I firmly believe a tasty dish of BBQ'ed crow will be served and you or I will be eating it but I stand behind my Mountaineers and will bring the sauce for your eating pleasure.

If you're lucky enough to be a Mountaineer, you're lucky enough. Sorry, I stole this from another poster here but I truly believe it!
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Not ready to kick SS to curb but we gave him a chance when we hired him.
Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

JohnnyBurrito

Unread post by JohnnyBurrito » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:04 pm

AppSt94 wrote:

I would expect coaches to assume there would be high expectations of them from a fan base...with that said I highly doubt any coach would make a job decision based on a comment made by someone with the handle "JohnnyBurrito".

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:11 pm

JohnnyBurrito wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I would expect coaches to assume there would be high expectations of them from a fan base...with that said I highly doubt any coach would make a job decision based on a comment made by someone with the handle "JohnnyBurrito".
Maybe not a job decision, but you certainly seem like someone to listen to when it comes to picking a Tex-Mex joint.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:17 pm

JohnnyBurrito wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I believe you are missing my point. I agree that a potential coach won't decide on a job based on any particular person's rants. However, if we are bashing an alumni of our school and posting "for sale" pictures to get rid of him after a short stint as HC, then how patient would we be with an outsider? Transition generally take time but will we give them the time needed?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”