Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Safety

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Safety

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:06 pm

I was watching a bit of the Troy game on replay on ESPN3.

I assume that if the safety had occurred as time expired at the end of the 2nd quarter the second half would have started with the normal 35 yard kickoff and not a 20 yard free kick. The starting of the 2nd half would trump the post safety free kick. Correct?

That was a much more of a crazy play that what I heard on the radio. I though it was an interception, but that was a completed pass, then a fumble that was then a defensive recovery that deflected off a Troy player is seems to land in the arms on another Troy player that was going a bit in the wrong direction and ran into the end zone.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

moonshine

Re: Safety

Unread post by moonshine » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:31 pm

I believe Troy would've been required to run one un-timed down, resulting in a free kick with 0:00 on the clock.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 pm

Could be wrong, but I believe the Troy player that ended up with the ball was in the endzone when he got possession. Once he attempted to advance the ball out of the endzone he was fair game. It was very clear that his intent was to run it out. I was watching and listening to DJ at the same time. To be honest it was a very difficult play to describe and words didn't do it justice. Just glad that Fisher made the play on the runner and saved two points for us. We tried for 7, hoped for 3, and settled for 2. Those 2 points would have been huge in 2 other contests I can think of. :oops: Good question about the free kick had time expired. My guess is it would not have carried over. Suppose Troy was to receive instead of us, then what?

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:54 am

Believe the Troy interceptor retreated into the end zone, but not certain.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!
==========================================================================

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:46 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:I was watching a bit of the Troy game on replay on ESPN3.

I assume that if the safety had occurred as time expired at the end of the 2nd quarter the second half would have started with the normal 35 yard kickoff and not a 20 yard free kick. The starting of the 2nd half would trump the post safety free kick. Correct?

That was a much more of a crazy play that what I heard on the radio. I though it was an interception, but that was a completed pass, then a fumble that was then a defensive recovery that deflected off a Troy player is seems to land in the arms on another Troy player that was going a bit in the wrong direction and ran into the end zone.
It's still questionable to me that the ball did in fact break the plane/line before it popped out. Could have been easily called a TD.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:00 am

proasu89 wrote:Could be wrong, but I believe the Troy player that ended up with the ball was in the endzone when he got possession. Once he attempted to advance the ball out of the endzone he was fair game. It was very clear that his intent was to run it out. I was watching and listening to DJ at the same time. To be honest it was a very difficult play to describe and words didn't do it justice. Just glad that Fisher made the play on the runner and saved two points for us. We tried for 7, hoped for 3, and settled for 2. Those 2 points would have been huge in 2 other contests I can think of. :oops: Good question about the free kick had time expired. My guess is it would not have carried over. Suppose Troy was to receive instead of us, then what?
The ball came loose at the goal line and bounced backward into the field of play. The defender scooped the ball and retreated into the endzone in an attempt to advance the ball. Because he went into the endzone on his own, it is a safety. Had the situation been where his forward momentum had carried him into the endzone then it would not be a safety and it would be ruled down at the point of possession.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:04 am

WataugaMan wrote:
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:I was watching a bit of the Troy game on replay on ESPN3.

It's still questionable to me that the ball did in fact break the plane/line before it popped out. Could have been easily called a TD.
That was one of those calls that would have been difficult to overturn regardless of the ruling on the field.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:28 am

what I remember after the ball was stretched out to the GL by McGuire (which if they'd had a camera on the GL probably was a TD) was the ball was knocked loose, bounced off players and went into the end zone where, as I remember it, the Troy defender caught the ball while already in the end zone and instead of taking a knee he attempted to run it out --- don't think the ball actually hit the ground because initially the tv guys said it had been ruled an INT but was later changed to a fumble. And as was correctly stated before, if no time was left then Troy would have had to kick off from the 20 on an untimed play ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

zim262

Unread post by zim262 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:34 am

If Troy would have had to have kicked off/punted from the 20 with no time could not we have called a fair catch, if the ball was not squibbed, and then attempted a free kick/drop kick for a field goal? I remember seeing years ago in the NFL a similar situation and the receiving team did just that and made a field goal with a drop kick. I don't think they were able to have it held like a field goal attempt and it seemed to be just the punter/kicker that was on the field. No snap, etc. Just the guy kicking the ball from where it was fair caught.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:39 am

zim262 wrote:If Troy would have had to have kicked off/punted from the 20 with no time could not we have called a fair catch, if the ball was not squibbed, and then attempted a free kick/drop kick for a field goal? I remember seeing years ago in the NFL a similar situation and the receiving team did just that and made a field goal with a drop kick. I don't think they were able to have it held like a field goal attempt and it seemed to be just the punter/kicker that was on the field. No snap, etc. Just the guy kicking the ball from where it was fair caught.
Yeah, I know what you talking about - pulled off a long time ago by Vince Lombardi and the Packers - but I would say NO here because the one play is the kick ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:34 am

I was watching the game (actually just keeping up with it) on gamecast on my phone. I had to keep hitting refresh before that play was finally shown. If I recall it said, Lamb pass completed for a safety....I had to read it several times and still made no sense. Just watched the replay. Appears that our receiver had the ball knocked out a good half yard from the goal line. The ball bounced on probably the one yard line and into the hands of the Troy defender in the end zone. Guess he was a little excited because he tried to run it out through a mob and was tackled. Good question on what would happen on the untimed down. In the event of that happening could the kicking team simply kick the ball out of bounds? If there is no time on the clock surely the receiving team would not get another untimed down?

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:48 am

I've watched it several times. The Troy player recovered the fumble in the field of play and ran into the end zone trying to get around a few defenders to turn it back up field. He never made it out of the end zone, but the ball was not recovered in the end zone. It was correctly called a safety, given that a safety was called on the field and without a GL view, the play could not be overturned.

I did have a question about the free kick after the safety. Is it only an NFL rule that the kick is a punt? Sure, it's a detriment to have to kick off from the 20, but not nearly as bad as having to punt from the 20 with the coverage team starting from behind/even with the punter.
Last edited by ASUMountaineer on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:50 am

AppSt94 wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:

That was one of those calls that would have been difficult to overturn regardless of the ruling on the field.
They needed a goal line camera, and they didn't have one. That left the play by play guy to make an idiot of himself by suggesting the call should be overturned because the shadow of the ball was in the end zone, proving that he doesn't understand how light and shadows work.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:52 am

EastHallApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:

They needed a goal line camera, and they didn't have one. That left the play by play guy to make an idiot of himself by suggesting the call should be overturned because the shadow of the ball was in the end zone, proving that he doesn't understand how light and shadows work.
I couldn't stop laughing listening to that.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:10 am

after a safety the team can choose to kick off or to punt - most punt because the punter can get the ball higher ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:33 am

Troy player got the ball at the two and ran into the endzone. If at anytime you break the plane on purpose and get tackled its a safety.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:42 am

WVAPPeer wrote:after a safety the team can choose to kick off or to punt - most punt because the punter can get the ball higher ---
Thanks.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:38 pm

Should have been a TD anyway. That's the way I saw it. I think the ball crossed the goal line.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:14 pm

It was iffy to me but the line judge was standing ten feet away with a good view.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:34 pm

moonshine wrote:I believe Troy would've been required to run one un-timed down, resulting in a free kick with 0:00 on the clock.
Basically like a penalty with time expired. That makes perfect sense actually.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”