Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Bottom 25/10

HkyMtneer
School: Appalachian State

Re: Bottom 25/10

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:36 pm

Gonzo wrote:Stop emailing him. The more you email him about that, the longer he will refer to us as "Appy." Why do you think he keeps talking about Georgia Southern even though they're one of the best G5 teams in the country right now?

It's trolling 101. You two and your emails have now done more to ensure that App will appear on his weekly page than our W/L record. Way to go.
Thought I'd follow up with the board regarding Ryan and the "Appy" comments. I've stayed out of this fray, having known Ryan for some time, and knowing his journalistic skills are pretty high, as is his tongue-in-cheek aptitude. That having been said, I had a quick chat with Ryan a bit ago and he gave me a little quote to pass along to everyone. So here goes:

"Me calling it Appy State is totally a tongue-in-cheek jab taken within the context of a totally made-up rankings. The same way I call Miami of Ohio "My-Hammy of Ohio" and the same way I continue to mess with Georgia Southern fans every week, like last week when we "accidentally" used the Georgia Southern logo when talking about Georgia State. It's all a joke. You know that, Norm. And I've had fun going back and forth with fan bases about it. I love Appalachian State. I lived there during summers as a kid when my Dad was earning his Masters there. I have a whole branch of family who are grads. I even spoke at graduation there in 2012. So, in a word, tell everyone to just relax. It's not even a real thing, the Bottom 10."

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:50 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Gonzo wrote:Stop emailing him. The more you email him about that, the longer he will refer to us as "Appy." Why do you think he keeps talking about Georgia Southern even though they're one of the best G5 teams in the country right now?

It's trolling 101. You two and your emails have now done more to ensure that App will appear on his weekly page than our W/L record. Way to go.
Thought I'd follow up with the board regarding Ryan and the "Appy" comments. I've stayed out of this fray, having known Ryan for some time, and knowing his journalistic skills are pretty high, as is his tongue-in-cheek aptitude. That having been said, I had a quick chat with Ryan a bit ago and he gave me a little quote to pass along to everyone. So here goes:

"Me calling it Appy State is totally a tongue-in-cheek jab taken within the context of a totally made-up rankings. The same way I call Miami of Ohio "My-Hammy of Ohio" and the same way I continue to mess with Georgia Southern fans every week, like last week when we "accidentally" used the Georgia Southern logo when talking about Georgia State. It's all a joke. You know that, Norm. And I've had fun going back and forth with fan bases about it. I love Appalachian State. I lived there during summers as a kid when my Dad was earning his Masters there. I have a whole branch of family who are grads. I even spoke at graduation there in 2012. So, in a word, tell everyone to just relax. It's not even a real thing, the Bottom 10."
Bravo. I hope the guys complaining here were joking as well.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:01 pm

I'll accept his comments but I still don't like "Appy" from anyone.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:24 am

Rekdiver wrote:I'll accept his comments but I still don't like "Appy" from anyone.
This! Everyone needs to know that we do not joke about that. It's just not PC

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:49 pm

From this week:

4. Troy (1-7)
Troy followed up its loss to Appalachian State with a loss to South Alabama. Speaking of Appalachian State, I want to give a quick shoutout to all the Mountaineers fans who have filled my inbox with complaints that I kept calling them Appy State. Because, you know, that's the biggest problem they have right now ... being given a goofy nickname like every other team in these totally imaginary rankings. It's something about me and the fan bases of former Southern Conference powerhouses ...

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:45 am

Read his reply yesterday, I'm frankly glad he didn't make it worse. Our fan base can be a little too fickle sometimes.
Give 'em hell!

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:21 am

I don't think any "complainers" are going out with torches and pitchforks. Many of us just don't prefer to be referred to as Appy State, Happy Appy, or any other term often used by in-state rivals as a passive aggressive insult to a top notch institution. Embrace it if you want.

I didn't respond to this guy, because as he said, his intent was to provoke a little back and forth. I just found it hilarious that he'd find it necessary to emphasize that the rankings weren't "real", as if anyone thought they were. :roll:

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:30 am

More trolling. Oh well, hopefully we win a couple more games and he never has reason to refer to us by any name again.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:52 pm

"Because, you know, that's the biggest problem they have right now"
Best dig of all right there!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:21 pm

BTW, even though we're no longer in bottom 10 consideration, there is a 100% chance this guy will take another dig at us when mentioning Ga. State's loss to us this week. Just go ahead and be ready for it.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:37 pm

Well, I for one enjoy reading his weekly rankings. I hated that we were in there ever, but the guy is a good writer and damned funny if if don't have a thin skin.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:44 pm

Am I the only person that doesn't care about Appy or Appalayshun? I could really care less what non Apps call us. Very juvenile in my opinion to let a nickname get under ones skin. Sticks and stones anyone?
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

Apps03

Unread post by Apps03 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:02 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:Am I the only person that doesn't care about Appy or Appalayshun? I could really care less what non Apps call us. Very juvenile in my opinion to let a nickname get under ones skin. Sticks and stones anyone?
Appy doesn't bother me in the least. Maybe there was a specific incident that I'm not aware of that causes some to hate that term. The Appalayshun doesn't bother me at all regarding the school or anything, I just really hate that sound. Its like fingernails on a chalkboard. I don't feel slighted or whatever else when i hear it.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:05 pm

I grew up with folks who went to App and called it happy appy. It's not a huge bother to me.
Give 'em hell!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:12 pm

"Its like fingernails on a chalkboard."

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:36 pm

Many fans get more heated when a ref calls us Appalaysun than when a ref throws a bogus flag on a huge 3rd down in the 4th. There are two pronunciations and Mariam Webster even uses the Northerner version,http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/appalachian. Appy I could also care less. Many App fans call ECU(EZU) Georgia Southern(Stink) Furman(Vermin) Elon(Eloan) UNCC(UNCConcord) and others by different names. Grow a pair and realize not everyone is an App fan and going to use your personal preferred vernacular.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:37 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:Am I the only person that doesn't care about Appy or Appalayshun? I could really care less what non Apps call us. Very juvenile in my opinion to let a nickname get under ones skin. Sticks and stones anyone?
For me, the aversion to Appy is a preference. I don't like it, some don't mind it. People here in Virginia use it with no malice and without any knowledge that some find it offensive. If I know there is no malice, I just let it slide.

Appalayshun, on the other hand is much more than a preference. The university issues guidance on the proper pronunciation of the school's name, and it isn't Appalayshun. Anyone who uses that pronunciation for the name of the school is wrong and I will correct them every time. They can call the mountain range the Appalayshuns if they want, but the name of the school is Appalatchun.

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:59 pm

No, you're not the only one.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:08 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:Many fans get more heated when a ref calls us Appalaysun than when a ref throws a bogus flag on a huge 3rd down in the 4th. There are two pronunciations and Mariam Webster even uses the Northerner version,http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/appalachian. Appy I could also care less. Many App fans call ECU(EZU) Georgia Southern(Stink) Furman(Vermin) Elon(Eloan) UNCC(UNCConcord) and others by different names. Grow a pair and realize not everyone is an App fan and going to use your personal preferred vernacular.
I expect it out of rival fans on message boards. From a "professional" on a national site, not so much.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:15 pm

Appy - no
AppaLAYshun - yes
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”