Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

IT'S WAKE FOREST.... 2017

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Re: IT'S WAKE FOREST.... 2017

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:05 pm

Most of the anti-FBS rubes are closet Tar Heels fans.

When it rains it pours I guess.

Watauga72

Unread post by Watauga72 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
AppGrad78 wrote:
proasu89 wrote:Maybe not with certainty, but I suspect even Chollie could have made this no brainer happen.
But don't you find it telling that Cobb had 10 years to make a Wake-App game happen and couldn't. Then, two months after he leaves, it magically does?
I find that to be speculation and pot stirring.

Grobe was the HC at Wake from 2001-2013 and I've heard him state publicly on Charlotte radio interviews that he would not play App, he said that game had no upside.

Perhaps that is a more likely reason.

As usual moose beat me to it. :D
Honestly don't blame Wake for avoiding us while we were FCS. The game would only make the news if we beat them....they win, who cares, as they are supposed to beat the lower division school. Plus, they could only count so many FCS games towards bowl eligibility.

On top of all that, they had lost to us a couple of times and were just tired of getting their asses kicked!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:41 pm

I like Rick Beasley. He is a good guy and a real Mountaineer. I assume he is not in the running for the AD, so what role will he play after the decision is made?

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:54 pm

fjblair wrote:I like Rick Beasley. He is a good guy and a real Mountaineer. I assume he is not in the running for the AD, so what role will he play after the decision is made?
Whatever role the new AD asks him to play, including the possibility of his playing no role at all...
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:01 pm

Agree that playing us was a no win for Wake for years. Battling us to an extent in recruiting, losing to a neighborhood FCS team would not be good. Losing to an FCS power (for a good stretch of years) probable. I know that up until a few years ago a win over an FCS team did not count towards bowl eligibility and Wake needed to beat all of the lower tier FBS teams that they could. We probably accounted for half of the crowd at most games. If we just get ECU to do a home and home that would be great.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:13 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:Where are naysayers who said we would never get a P5 school in Boone? Just about every thing these folks said would never happen as already taken place and its only year 1!

I never understood the naysayers when there were lots of G5 schools that were already getting home and homes with P5's. I guess they have an inferiority complex.
I honestly believe that had more to do with those who were saying UNC, VT, Clemson would be coming to The Rock in the near future ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Keep moving the goal. We will cross it.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

TurfMonkey

Unread post by TurfMonkey » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:43 pm

It will certainly be a watershed moment in my life. Been waiting a long time.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:53 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:I honestly believe that had more to do with those who were saying UNC, VT, Clemson would be coming to The Rock in the near future ---
I don't remember people naming those specific schools, but we are a lot closer to that being a possibility down the road than we would have ever been in FCS.

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:55 pm

Great news about the Wake home and home! Looking forward to coming up the mountain to see the first ACC school enter the Rock and leave with a L!! :)

Just saw on twitter, TX A&M just opted out of the series with Oregon in 2018 and 2019. Not saying Oregon would come to Boone but hopefully Beas is calling Eugene for a trip out there for our guys. I'm sure they would love to check our Nike's headquarters while out there.

GO 'NEERS!

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:10 pm

Moving up has its benefits.

Just take a look at Western's garbage schedule this season and let me know if you miss being in the SoCon.

Flounder

Unread post by Flounder » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:21 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:Moving up has its benefits.

Just take a look at Western's garbage schedule this season and let me know if you miss being in the SoCon.
Yes, I do.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:24 pm

Flounder wrote:

Yes, I do.
Your name could be Flounder in a Fishbowl. :lol:
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:32 pm

One thing I like about the new schedule that I didn't expect is this notion of playing an all FBS schedule. Whoever pushed us in that direction ... Cobb, Sutton, Beasley, the custodian, whoever ... kudos.

Flounder

Unread post by Flounder » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:13 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Flounder wrote:

Yes, I do.
He made a declarative statement and asked for a response.

I responded in the affirmative.

That's all.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:23 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
TheMoody1 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:Where are naysayers who said we would never get a P5 school in Boone? Just about every thing these folks said would never happen as already taken place and its only year 1!

I never understood the naysayers when there were lots of G5 schools that were already getting home and homes with P5's. I guess they have an inferiority complex.
I honestly believe that had more to do with those who were saying UNC, VT, Clemson would be coming to The Rock in the near future ---
Except these people said NO P5 team would come to Boone. Those of us that said we could this type of team to come to Boone were laughed at by the anti-FBS crowd. Who's laughing now? I habe a feeling they will quietly get on board but never publicly admit they were wrong.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Flounder wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
Flounder wrote:

Yes, I do.
He made a declarative statement and asked for a response.

I responded in the affirmative.

That's all.
Just funnin' you a little 'tis all.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:27 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:One thing I like about the new schedule that I didn't expect is this notion of playing an all FBS schedule. Whoever pushed us in that direction ... Cobb, Sutton, Beasley, the custodian, whoever ... kudos.
Agreed. Its interesting to see after Cobb was pretty consistent saying we would play an FCS at home each year. Maybe he underestimated the level of interest teams would have in coming to Boone.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:24 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:One thing I like about the new schedule that I didn't expect is this notion of playing an all FBS schedule. Whoever pushed us in that direction ... Cobb, Sutton, Beasley, the custodian, whoever ... kudos.
Personally I would rather play one FCS team per season. We can count one toward bowl eligibility, IMO we should do so (unless something else comes along that is too good to pass up). Would rather have scheduled FCS games in '16 and '17 than UMass.

But that's a discussion for another day. This series is a home run.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:34 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
TheMoody1 wrote:

With all due respect that is BS. There were quite a few posters that claimed we couldn't get a P5 program to Boone. Not saying it was you and I'd rather not call out those posters, but it was said by at least two members which I clearly remember debates with them this past summer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”