Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

IT'S WAKE FOREST.... 2017

App1990
School: Appalachian State

Re: IT'S WAKE FOREST.... 2017

Unread post by App1990 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:46 pm

This is great and I'm happy to see it. But I'm unsure why pro-FBSers would gloat because this is just one positive against the many negatives that have emerged from the move. I was against the move, but I admitted from the start that one good thing from the move would be the chance to play UNCC, ECU and Wake, and hopefully a regional rivalry would emerge with one or two of them.

Irregardless, IMO getting a game with Wake (as cool as that is) simply does not come close to compensating for the downsides that was predicted by people that knew the realities of a move, including increased losses, decreased interest, falling attendance, huge jump in student-athlettes missing classes, big increases in operating budget deficits, and big jumps in subsidies and student fees. Getting a team like Wake in Boone happened sooner than expected, but the many bad things also have happened sooner than expected. And they have been more severe than expected. Losses are piling up more than expected. Attendance is dropping more than expected. Operating deficit has exploded. Athletes are missing many more classes than expected. Student fees have already reached long term projections, and will blow well past the promised limit. It's bad enough that the administration has had harsh words for Cobb for severely understating the financial burden from the move, which has left a mess for them to deal with. Sure, attendance for the Wake game will be great. But clearly one game in 2017 certainly doesn't justify all these things. SO YES, I miss the good ole days, as does most alumni (as evidence by ACTUAL attendance).

And it is completely silly to suggest expanding the stadium for one game. Attendance has been dropping for us even more than the general decline across all of college football. Our attendance will not return to the peak anytime soon. Winning will help but we will never need anything close to 30k or 40k seats any time soon---numbers are simply not there, and future growth is not there. And spending money on excess capacity and superficial appearances like removing the track is completely irresponsible when the campus is in such dire straights financially. I'm all for improving and expanding if the operating revenue pays for it. Don't keep asking the students to pay for our dreams. We already had to ask them to bail out the last expansion. Need to start acting responsible. Hard to do when we are having fun with other people's money.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:18 am

App91 wrote:Let's be honest that Weak is probably the lowest P5 school. They matter more to us because of the history and will help fill the stands, but BARELY a P5 program. Maybe when UNC is coming off the Death penalty they will come up from the hill
Vandy, Iowa State,Purdue, Indiana, Colorado, Washington State, Kansas are all at about the same place program wise.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:22 am

App1990 wrote:This is great and I'm happy to see it. But I'm unsure why pro-FBSers would gloat because this is just one positive against the many negatives that have emerged from the move. I was against the move, but I admitted from the start that one good thing from the move would be the chance to play UNCC, ECU and Wake, and hopefully a regional rivalry would emerge with one or two of them.

Irregardless, IMO getting a game with Wake (as cool as that is) simply does not come close to compensating for the downsides that was predicted by people that knew the realities of a move, including increased losses, decreased interest, falling attendance, huge jump in student-athlettes missing classes, big increases in operating budget deficits, and big jumps in subsidies and student fees. Getting a team like Wake in Boone happened sooner than expected, but the many bad things also have happened sooner than expected. And they have been more severe than expected. Losses are piling up more than expected. Attendance is dropping more than expected. Operating deficit has exploded. Athletes are missing many more classes than expected. Student fees have already reached long term projections, and will blow well past the promised limit. It's bad enough that the administration has had harsh words for Cobb for severely understating the financial burden from the move, which has left a mess for them to deal with. Sure, attendance for the Wake game will be great. But clearly one game in 2017 certainly doesn't justify all these things. SO YES, I miss the good ole days, as does most alumni (as evidence by ACTUAL attendance).

And it is completely silly to suggest expanding the stadium for one game. Attendance has been dropping for us even more than the general decline across all of college football. Our attendance will not return to the peak anytime soon. Winning will help but we will never need anything close to 30k or 40k seats any time soon---numbers are simply not there, and future growth is not there. And spending money on excess capacity and superficial appearances like removing the track is completely irresponsible when the campus is in such dire straights financially. I'm all for improving and expanding if the operating revenue pays for it. Don't keep asking the students to pay for our dreams. We already had to ask them to bail out the last expansion. Need to start acting responsible. Hard to do when we are having fun with other people's money.
A couple misconceptions.....

More losses? Did you see what we brought to the FCS last year? We have a legit shot to match that this year.......so that's a wash.
Attendance goes down when you lose more games, which is what we were doing in FCS anyways, has nothing to do with the move.
Where is this statistic I have yet to see on player missing more classes.....WTH.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:40 am

On the attendance, in my opinion weather has not been on our side as much as in the recent past.
Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

App74

Unread post by App74 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:40 am

App1990 wrote:This is great and I'm happy to see it. But I'm unsure why pro-FBSers would gloat because this is just one positive against the many negatives that have emerged from the move. I was against the move, but I admitted from the start that one good thing from the move would be the chance to play UNCC, ECU and Wake, and hopefully a regional rivalry would emerge with one or two of them.

Please exclude me and my family from the "I miss the good ole days, as does most alumni" basket. It's great to remember those days but I don't live there anymore.

Count me outside your "most alumni" definition as I will continue to be at the games and will continue to support the Yosef Club. And, yes, I have been paying tuition since 2007.

Go Apps!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:58 am

"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:59 am

It's great to see the schools we've added lately. I'm very excited about App football and what the future holds. There's no better place to take my 4 grandsons (no girls so far) for a fall weekend than Boone and KB. I'm also making plans to travel to my UGA brother and my Tennessee daughter to watch the Mountaineers in action. I'm hoping we get a date so we finish what GSU almost accomplished with NCSU. My State son is worried.

I used to worry about all the FBS naysayers of my age 60-up that I know who professed great love of playing Furman and Western Carolina, etc. and predicted gloom and doom. I don't worry any more when I realized none of them had been to a game in years, weren't in Yosef or making contributions to the Foundation, and hadn't spent a dollar in Boone since graduation. I know this is not true on a blanket basis, but with some of my older friends it is.

Those of my App friends who go to the games, watch us on ESPN3, have a Yosef sticker on their car, and put their money where their mouth is are very excited!

Bring it on!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:13 am

It seems the divide still exists, that is a shame. Time to get behind the program. We are an FBS program and killing it on the recruiting trail and scheduling front. The on the field product will follow.

Jump off now if you'd like that just means I'll have better seats in the long run. Y'all come back now ya hear!

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:34 am

Someone please copy or capture these negative posts about us moving to FBS. Some will be eating a lot of crow in a few years. Just wait until 2017 when Wake comes to Boone and gets beat by 21pts. Go Apps!!!
Last edited by AppState89 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:33 am

1. Student fees haven't gone up.

2. Irregardless

3. How much money each year do you send to the Rams Club?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:49 am

Someone missed the memo, there are only 500 seats available for the GA St. Game.

Also with the worst weather in 10 years we've averaged over 25k. Couple dogs in that rant aren't hunting.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:10 am

The FCS is no longer the same FCS that was an excellent fit for Appalachian in the "old days." I understand that not everyone was in agreement with the decision, but those days are NOT coming back. EVERYONE is disappointed with the past two seasons, but taking the disappointing performance and extrapolating to every impact (attendance, interest, blah blah blah) is just putting spin on an issue that has already been decided.

App WILL recover. I am very hopeful that the recover is already in process. These issues did NOT start in 2013. Can we please just support the Apps and move on?

Others have already pointed out the manufactured "points" made in the original post, so I won't harp on those.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:23 am

The attendance has nothing to do with moving to FBS. It had declined each of the last 3 years while still in FCS. It's funny you bring up attendance this week though since we are nearing a sellout of all seats for the GSU game next week. BTW this years average is up over last year even before factoring in next week. I guess nobody cares about Sun Belt teams, right?

As for student fees, the last increase came several years ago (according to the ASU website) to pay for the AAC which was started in 2007.

You say people miss the good old days, but everyone I talk to is excited to be in the Sun Belt and out of the SoCon.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:25 am

Capt. Ed wrote:It's great to see the schools we've added lately. I'm very excited about App football and what the future holds. There's no better place to take my 4 grandsons (no girls so far) for a fall weekend than Boone and KB. I'm also making plans to travel to my UGA brother and my Tennessee daughter to watch the Mountaineers in action. I'm hoping we get a date so we finish what GSU almost accomplished with NCSU. My State son is worried.

I used to worry about all the FBS naysayers of my age 60-up that I know who professed great love of playing Furman and Western Carolina, etc. and predicted gloom and doom. I don't worry any more when I realized none of them had been to a game in years, weren't in Yosef or making contributions to the Foundation, and hadn't spent a dollar in Boone since graduation. I know this is not true on a blanket basis, but with some of my older friends it is.

Those of my App friends who go to the games, watch us on ESPN3, have a Yosef sticker on their car, and put their money where their mouth is are very excited!

Bring it on!!
Bingo!
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:47 am

We just scheduled a home game with WAKE FOREST and people still think FBS wasn't the right move lmao

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:48 am

You sound like a trolling Can'tamount.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:13 am

AppState89 wrote:Someone place copy or capture these negative posts about us moving to FBS. Some will be eating a lot of crow in a few years. Just wait until 2017 when Wake comes to Boone and gets beat by 21pts. Go Apps!!!
Been doing this all along. Got several pages of them.

Anyone who thinks we are where we will be in a few years isn't paying attention to what is really going on in the world of college football and athletics in general. The moves are not done. The only thing that has slowed things down to a crawl this time is the pending and finished suits and all the pay to play situations floating around. Once the P5 get through the season and assess where things stand and how they affect them the next moves will take place. The bottom line is this has always been and will always be about money. The P5 want as much as they can get and the G5 schools need to figure out how best to divide the scraps. Once the P5 get their way the rest of FBS will decide how to split up what is left and what moves to make to maximize what's available. And the current FCS will be dropped ever further down with reduced scholarships down to 50 or so. As many things that have changed in the past 3 to 4 years that part has stayed the same. And most talk in the college football land still say when, not if. Stay tuned.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:30 am

You are The Man - Moose ---
Back a couple of years ago when I was on the fence it was Moose's logical and researched points which won me over - my major concern the whole time was the playoffs - I really looked forward to - and enjoyed - the playoffs --- as Moose pointed out there could likely be playoffs in our future in the G5 --- everyone who really looked into this situation had to know we must get out of the SoCon, which has turned into a joke. I am not one who will put down the FCS as several conferences now are stronger than ever and I will most likely watch their playoffs when they start. Moose also was the one who predicted some time ago that WF would be the first P5 team to visit The Rock. I will tell you this, I have come across several APP fans who have similar feelings as APP1990 - we need to embrace them, say we understand their reluctance and then do our best to win them over - It is very similar to our team - our team will take some time to make the transition and many fans will take time as well --- Let's not knock those who miss "the good ole days" ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:36 am

I don't want to quote that long diatribe but the falling attendance was going to happen anyway. We had a freak lightning strike that drove attendance to the 28-30's. Many of those people were there for one reason and he was probably the only player on the team they could name. We are not winning NC's and do not have a marquee player anymore. So I do not buy the move as a reason for attendance falling. It will be up and down from now until things settle in for good or bad. Next weekend will be up for the first half and then Boone and BR restaurants will be packed.

As for the other negatives some have merit but will not necessarily be killers in the long term.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:16 pm

I'd be in the stands whether we were FCS, a FBS, 2-10, 10-2, raining, sun shining, hot, cold. I don't see why those that love the good old days of driving up to the stadium 30 minutes before the game, parking 1,000 feet from the gate and playing VMI can't stay on the bandwagon now.

I love what we did at that level and look forward to celebrating the next level successes as well.

I wish we had message boards to capture what fans said when we first joined division one, I imagine it was somewhat similar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”