Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Speir Rips Herbstreit

mikeyosef
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Speir Rips Herbstreit

Unread post by mikeyosef » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:51 am

I agree, Herbstreit should keep that particular opinion to himself yet he keeps trotting it out. Sure these top tier football teams expect to easily win these games but every so often a "cupcake" comes along and surprises....no apologies from Herbstreit when that happens though. In my opinion the worst thing happening to college football today is the continued drive to further anoint one or two conferences as superior for ever and always to others. The reality today; as a greater level of parity in the quality of players continues to threaten the existing hierarchy roadblocks are being designed to maintain the status quo. In my opinion, that's not the American way and it's not good for college football.

BurlingtonApp

Unread post by BurlingtonApp » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:53 am

No man with frosted tips in the year 2014 should be allowed an opinion about football, especially on national TV.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:16 am

BurlingtonApp wrote:No man with frosted tips in the year 2014 should be allowed an opinion about football, especially on national TV.
I never thought I would see the phrase frosted tips in a sports forum.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Love it, but the comments! those pansies, just like FSU, want these teams to lay down and not tackle their boys so they won't get hurt. Take their whooping and money get back on the bus. Can't stand these people. :roll:

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:10 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:I don't understand what's so controversial about this. Herbstreit has an opinion that millions of others share. Don't agree with him? Okay. I don't necessarily think he's completely wrong, either. WCU only played Bama because WCU needs money and Bama needed a game that was as close to a bye-week as possible. I am friends with Bama season ticket holders and they didn't even think twice about going to this game. Bama fans don't want these games. Is it really a big deal to say these games shouldn't happen? I know we benefited from money games when we were in the SoCon but I just don't understand the outrage people have when Herbstreit says FBS shouldn't play FCS.
When he speaks on this matter, I hear a commentator that either speaks from a position of being without knowledge or knowing all of the facts and omitting the ones that don't help his case. We all know that these games exist to help support smaller programs fund their athletic budgets and Corso brought that up. Herbie's solution was to pay the schools toff and not play the game. He either is an elitist or he is stupid for not understanding the picture. I think that it would be a great grass roots effort to write Arthur Blank at Home Depot and tell him that we will no longer watch Gameday or support his company has long as they sponsor the show. If money drives the bus that would certainly make the point.
What facts does he miss? These games do not exist to help support smaller programs. These games exist because P5 schools want them. It's as close to a bye-week as possible in the schedule. Smaller schools are able to benefit in the process but the SEC, ACC and BIG 10 etc... don't have a goal of helping small D1 schools. Nick Saban hasn't played Western for three years because he has a compassionate heart. He wants a game before the Iron Bowl where he doesn't have to break open his SEC playbook or risk his starters getting hurt.

That said, I think it's reasonable to not like Herbstreit's attitude. Saying it's an "embarrassment" is sensationalism because these games happen all the time and hardly anyone is offended. But make no mistake, fans of P5 programs do not like these games. Period.

Actually, I'm not crazy over them the same way I am about competitive home games. I'll definitely go to Clemson, Tennessee, UGA and Penn St. and have a blast but I'd rather see App State play a home and home with ECU. I'd trade Clemson, UGA and Tennessee games for ECU, Marshall or NC State in Boone.

I get the economics of the P5 money games but if the P5 splits and the G5 has the opportunity to form it's own league with a playoff system, I'll be thrilled.

But, to each his own. If he said it nicer would people still be upset?
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:41 pm

APPARJ wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:I don't understand what's so controversial about this. Herbstreit has an opinion that millions of others share. Don't agree with him? Okay. I don't necessarily think he's completely wrong, either. WCU only played Bama because WCU needs money and Bama needed a game that was as close to a bye-week as possible. I am friends with Bama season ticket holders and they didn't even think twice about going to this game. Bama fans don't want these games. Is it really a big deal to say these games shouldn't happen? I know we benefited from money games when we were in the SoCon but I just don't understand the outrage people have when Herbstreit says FBS shouldn't play FCS.
When he speaks on this matter, I hear a commentator that either speaks from a position of being without knowledge or knowing all of the facts and omitting the ones that don't help his case. We all know that these games exist to help support smaller programs fund their athletic budgets and Corso brought that up. Herbie's solution was to pay the schools toff and not play the game. He either is an elitist or he is stupid for not understanding the picture. I think that it would be a great grass roots effort to write Arthur Blank at Home Depot and tell him that we will no longer watch Gameday or support his company has long as they sponsor the show. If money drives the bus that would certainly make the point.
What facts does he miss? These games do not exist to help support smaller programs. These games exist because P5 schools want them. It's as close to a bye-week as possible in the schedule. Smaller schools are able to benefit in the process but the SEC, ACC and BIG 10 etc... don't have a goal of helping small D1 schools. Nick Saban hasn't played Western for three years because he has a compassionate heart. He wants a game before the Iron Bowl where he doesn't have to break open his SEC playbook or risk his starters getting hurt.

That said, I think it's reasonable to not like Herbstreit's attitude. Saying it's an "embarrassment" is sensationalism because these games happen all the time and hardly anyone is offended. But make no mistake, fans of P5 programs do not like these games. Period.

Actually, I'm not crazy over them the same way I am about competitive home games. I'll definitely go to Clemson, Tennessee, UGA and Penn St. and have a blast but I'd rather see App State play a home and home with ECU. I'd trade Clemson, UGA and Tennessee games for ECU, Marshall or NC State in Boone.

I get the economics of the P5 money games but if the P5 splits and the G5 has the opportunity to form it's own league with a playoff system, I'll be thrilled.

They exist for many reasons. They help the overall athletic budget for smaller schools but they also help line the pockets of these power schools. A game against a WCU can net a school like Alabama 500 k an an easy when a rest for the starters. Florida plays them to get 7 home games a year because they lose one with Georgia every other year. They also don't require ha return game. His argument is that fans don't like them and I would agree that some don't. Yet they still fill the stadium and it gives casual fans a chance to go see a game using a donors tickets. I admit that his arrogance is off putting and we can agree to disagree with the position.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:15 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

They exist for many reasons. They help the overall athletic budget for smaller schools but they also help line the pockets of these power schools. A game against a WCU can net a school like Alabama 500 k an an easy when a rest for the starters. Florida plays them to get 7 home games a year because they lose one with Georgia every other year. They also don't require ha return game. His argument is that fans don't like them and I would agree that some don't. Yet they still fill the stadium and it gives casual fans a chance to go see a game using a donors tickets. I admit that his arrogance is off putting and we can agree to disagree with the position.
I don't think we disagree with much here. Bama definitely profits regardless of the opponent but it's not offensive to suggest that it's lame that Bama schedules a cupcake (and yes, it is a cupcake) game vs. a school like Western.

Look, it's all economics. Bama is willing to sacrifice attendance and game day zest in exchange for an easy game. That's cool. They can afford it.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:41 pm

You are correct. It is simple economics. Home games generate revenue and road games cost you money in travel. It is a simple economic fact that is just as relavant to Alabama as it is to Appalachian. Any P5 AD knows he can make more money playing two home games , over a two year period, against WCU and McNeese St then a home and home with Oregon. Home games have been increasingly important with all of these first week neutral site classics. My point is that he probably understands that point of the argument but doesn't acknowledge it.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:22 am

Just as a point of reference, attendance for the Alabama-WCU game was announced at 101,325.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”