Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sunday Morning QB ---

manonabuffalo
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sunday Morning QB ---

Unread post by manonabuffalo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:30 pm

I was a fire Satterfild guy, I ate my crow already. I agree with multiple others that the "where are the fire Satt folks?", " come eat more crow" lines on almost every thread is getting really old. The truth is the crow was going down all our throats after ULM and Ark State, now we are just being unnecessary.

No one predicted we would be here post Liberty implosion, but let's all move on and enjoy it. I have seen every fan who publicly stated they wanted him gone eat their words as this team adjusted, coaches made changes and we started playing like the traditional App State team we knew they could be.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:40 pm

WVAPP:

GREAT POST!!! I had faith that Satt would turn things around. Sure it would have been better to win more of the first few games. But, if you had told me at the beginning of the year that we would be in 5th or 6th place in the Sunbelt, I would have agreed that this sounded about right. To have a legit shot for third place, is an outstanding season. And, to note that we beat BOTH conference defending champs ON THEIR HOME FIELD, well ... hear, hear.

If we played GaSo again (maybe in the "Unqualified Bowl"), I have absolutely no doubt that we'd win.

Yesterday, I was watching the game on ESPN3 & listening to D. Jackson (can anyone invent a radio delay device?). I told my wife & some friends that I would have given $1,000 to be at the game at kickoff. Unfortunately, i had a prior commitment that could not be avoided. BUT, man, that was SWEET to beat ULALA at Cajun field.

You guys who were lucky enough to be there, good for you! It certainly looked like Cajun fans are good folks. I intend to try to return the hospitality next year.

And, to all you Negative Nellies, I say ... phtphtphtphtphtphtphtphtpth!!! TOLD YA!
(How'z 'at for a mature response?)

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:52 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Apptiger wrote:http://www.theadvertiser.com/sports/

Link to coverage in Lafayette. They get real good coverage with at least three writers/articles assigned/stories. All of them full of angst. Course LSU was off so maybe more attention???
My favorite segment highlighted below from an article called "ASU power game sinks Cajuns"

"And to add to the frustration, ASU was 9-of-15 on third-down conversions. The Mountaineers kept getting big plays on third down that moved the chains, while the UL defense could not get a stop or a big sack to put Appalachian State in a third-and-long. The Cajuns averaged 2.6 sacks per game, but failed to get one on Saturday."

Way to play O Line!

And to steal a line from another website..."Every day should be (a Black) Saturday!"
Their head coach is a bit delusional with this statement:

"What made (Cox) effective was us not taking our gaps," UL head coach Mark Hudspeth said. "I think any back in the country can run against a defense that don't have people in their gaps. He got a couple of easy runs late when the game was sort of decided.

"To be honest, defensively, I thought overall stopping the run, we were pretty decent until late in the game when (Cox) got a couple of big runs."
He believes he lost to an inferior team. These people have an adjustment to make. It sucks going from being the cock of the walk to just another rooster. The traditional powers are going to have to get used to the fact that having both App and GaSo to contend with totally changes the Sun Belt dynamics. Very few years will both programs be down. Really I think they probably missed their chance to beat up on us this year. We get better from here on out.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:58 pm

I wouldn't sell Ark State and UL down the river just yet. At this point, they are ranked 1st and 3rd in SBC recruiting. We come in at 5th at this point. This is all subject to change but I don't think our victory yesterday means that they are "has beens."

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:04 pm

hapapp wrote:I wouldn't sell Ark State and UL down the river just yet. At this point, they are ranked 1st and 3rd in SBC recruiting. We come in at 5th at this point. This is all subject to change but I don't think our victory yesterday means that they are "has beens."
Not what I meant at all.

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:22 pm

hapapp wrote:I wouldn't sell Ark State and UL down the river just yet. At this point, they are ranked 1st and 3rd in SBC recruiting. We come in at 5th at this point. This is all subject to change but I don't think our victory yesterday means that they are "has beens."
they may be ranked that high, but look at how many commitments they have versus us. it's already been said we're only bringing 16-18 this year, so our ranking will be lower. Also, as Moose frequently says, look at how many of those commitments they have now actually sign with them

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:26 pm

mtnjax wrote:
they may be ranked that high, but look at how many commitments they have versus us. it's already been said we're only bringing 16-18 this year, so our ranking will be lower. Also, as Moose frequently says, look at how many of those commitments they have now actually sign with them
Of course, the same can apply to us. I know you aren't saying this but let's not assume that they are in some kind of decline or that they can't bet better as well.

clemmonsapp

Unread post by clemmonsapp » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:51 pm

I haven't watched all of our games, so I may have missed it, but I saw a new wrinkle that I loved in this game. The full house backfield when both up backs shifted to the same side and we ran to that side was a great adjustment. It resembled a jumbo package for the goal line but gave us more options and allowed the blocking backs to attack the linemen and get to the second level.

I'm sure we have run it before this year and I missed it, but we destroyed ULL with it.
Last edited by clemmonsapp on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:25 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:

Link to coverage in Lafayette. They get real good coverage with at least three writers/articles assigned/stories. All of them full of angst. Course LSU was off so maybe more attention???
My favorite segment highlighted below from an article called "ASU power game sinks Cajuns"

"And to add to the frustration, ASU was 9-of-15 on third-down conversions. The Mountaineers kept getting big plays on third down that moved the chains, while the UL defense could not get a stop or a big sack to put Appalachian State in a third-and-long. The Cajuns averaged 2.6 sacks per game, but failed to get one on Saturday."

Way to play O Line!

And to steal a line from another website..."Every day should be (a Black) Saturday!"

"What made (Cox) effective was us not taking our gaps," UL head coach Mark Hudspeth said. "I think any back in the country can run against a defense that don't have people in their gaps. He got a couple of easy runs late when the game was sort of decided.

"To be honest, defensively, I thought overall stopping the run, we were pretty decent until late in the game when (Cox) got a couple of big runs."
Cox averaged 5 yards a carry in the first half including a TD run where he ran through several of the UL defenders. I guess Hud just can't face the truth.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

MJ1988

Unread post by MJ1988 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:41 pm

appbio91 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:

Way to play O Line!

He believes he lost to an inferior team. These people have an adjustment to make. It sucks going from being the cock of the walk to just another rooster. The traditional powers are going to have to get used to the fact that having both App and GaSo to contend with totally changes the Sun Belt dynamics. Very few years will both programs be down. Really I think they probably missed their chance to beat up on us this year. We get better from here on out.
Boy their coach really shows a complete lack of respect for what Cox has done. I expect that kind of thing from some loud mouth 20 year old player but you would think a coach would have some respect for what Marcus has accomplished

manonabuffalo

Unread post by manonabuffalo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:43 pm

On a side note, the guys wife is a smoke show.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:52 pm

I wonder how the ULL coach would explain the yards after contact for Marcus yesterday? Those extra yards weren't all "gap" yards. Many of them were pure Marcus Cox yards. That said, the O-line was amazing. Drew Bailey gets my vote for unsung hero, too. His blocking was sweet!
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:26 pm

Does anyone know what Marcus' yards after contact are?

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:17 pm

"Hud can't HANDLE the truth!" :lol:

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:33 pm

I think you guys are missing the important point here: From those comments, it's pretty clear that Hudspeth didn't realize that wasn't Cox who gashed them for that last TD run. I guess $1 mil a year doesn't buy you a coach who can tell the other team's players apart.

And BTW, the fact that, in his words, "the game was sort of decided" with several minutes remaining pretty much tells you all you need to know.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:06 pm

What a surprise. The posters that absolutely lost their minds and called for a coaching overhaul and Satt and Woody's head on a platter don't like being reminded of their ridiculous comments.

Defending Satt & Co. has nothing to do with being loyal or kind for our good ol' boy coaches. It has everything to do with the fact that some of us understand that (NEWSFLASH) no one on MMB knows the game of football or this roster as much as our coaches. And it takes a lot more than using amateur advice on a fan board to turn a program transitioning into the FBS around.

So all of this talk about "Well, I see that the coaches saw what everyone else saw and turned it around" is really just nonsense because we see a fraction of what they see.

In the end, everyone benefits because now we're really good at football again.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:09 am

WVAPPeer wrote:Well that was just about The Total Game - Offense Dominant , Defense Dominant, Special Teams Much Better!!!
1. It's somewhat hard to believe they we just drove the ball down the throats of the best rush defense in the SB and on their home field!!! - The drive that put us up 2 scores reminded me so much of the game sealing drive against UMass in the 2nd Championship Game --- Our offense has evolved into a power running ground game and it is a beautiful sight to see!!! - nothing demoralizes a defense more than KNOWING they can't stop their opponent --- Cox was tough again but I have to tip my hat to the entire unit on offense as they all performed outstanding!!!
2. As much as our offense has evolved over the year, the defense has exceeded them - the offense was starting to click early on but the Defense has made a transformation - They have been dominating!!! - We have so many good young players on that side of the ball and the depth has shown because of injuries - they haven't lost a beat when a teammate goes down or when rotating in and out - I think it was huge for this game that they made UL-L settle for a FG on that first turnover and did the same right before the half which allowed us to go in with the lead - This unit has become SCARY GOOD ---
3. The Special Teams are better and will continue to get so as we finish out this season and roll into next year - getting the right guys in spots will happen and hopefully we can eliminate the need to use Bentlee so much and I see that happening - Matics did a good job on kickoffs yesterday --- And let's hear if for BoBo!!! ---
4. Very few mental mistakes yesterday and only a couple of penalties - that makes a huge difference ---
5. All the respect in the world goes out to all the coaches!!! - They kept this team on course when things didn't look good - That is a tough thing to do as everyone is happy when winning but it takes a special group (Coaches and Players) to keep things on track when times are dark. As our esteemed MMB friend Daphne said in a post yesterday, " ... too much coaching and life experience ever to get down on this particular team. " That's the thing I don't think all of you grasp, the Coach/es CANNOT allow negative to take over, a coach being down will be picked up on by his/her players in a nano-second - It just can't happen!!! - I guess that is why I was labeled as wearing rose-colored glasses and living in Lollipop Guild Land several years ago ???
6. Coach Satterfield didn't forget how to coach winning offense!!! - Coach Woody didn't forget how to coach winning defense!!! - and I will say the same for the entire staff!!! - some think that because things aren't working that all of a sudden the coach doesn't know what he is doing - To that, I say BS !!! - it takes time with young guys and add to that we were in transition, new conference, coaching change-over, not eligible for anything, etc., - just a great job!!!
7. Finally, I want to comment on those who went off track early in the season. I AM NOT QUESTIONING anyone's level of fandom (don't know if that is a word) I think it is sad and disheartening when our own fans begin screaming to fire coaches - Yeah, it's what all fan bases do, I know - All of us were disappointed with the start and the frustrations but I guarandamnteeya the coaches were feeling it 100x over. It's their job and nobody - NOBODY - wants to win more than they do!!! - These men have careers, they have wives, they have kids, they care and here the APP fans are screaming to fire them after 5-6 games --- Personally, I think some of you can take your CROW and (fill in the blank) - I would like to say BRAVO to those who stayed behind these coaches and these young men with 100% support - THANK YOU ---
8. Let's get one more to close out 2014!!!
Dub, glad you get to say I told you so, rather than I, really am. Not sure why there is still discussion regarding the poor performance at that time. IMO that lead to some major changes that put us where we are today, I am glad for that. Also, coaching is a business, a nomadic existance. All coaches know they will be fired sooner or later at some point. So, voicing an opinion as such has nothing to do with wives and families etc, that is known when they start. Didn't hear anyone say the same when Capel was stinking it up and ultimately let go. Its just the same.
With that said-great write up as usual and looking forward to Sat. Wish we could play more this season with this new found team.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:14 am

AppSt94 wrote:
appgrad wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
appbio91 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
--- Personally, I think some of you can take your CROW and (fill in the blank) - I would like to say BRAVO to those who stayed behind these coaches and these young men with 100% support - THANK YOU ---!
This is getting tired.
If I had said fire Satterfield and we made a mistake in early October I'd be tired of it too. I never get tired on Appalachian proving people wrong, being being it since 1899.
I will admit, after Liberty, I was wondering when, not if, they'd pull the plug. I didn't think it would happen this year, maybe after next, but I just didn't see this team getting better under this staff. Troy and GA State made me feel slightly better... But the last 3 games have me positively giddy. Full credit to the coaches for "self scouting" and fixing the teams problems midstream.

Not a lot of people are capable of that level of ego checking. So many coaches get stubborn and dig in. Our guys didn't. Easily the most impressive part of this year to me.
This reads like a back handed compliment. Why do you assume that the turnaround was due to coaches changing their own methods? Maybe this is the result of coaches sticking to their plan all along. Yes they made some personnel changes that worked well but in the end the players finally got what the coaches were teaching. The play book opened up not because the Freshmen understood it better than the other guys but because they, as a collective group, got it and it only took them six weeks.
If you believe this, then you have not been watching. It is without debate that the schemes have been different between these two seasons. Coaching to win rather than not to lose. Getting pressure on the ball, good rytthem on O, should we go on? Yes, the coaches looked inward, made changes and we got better, alot better.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:15 am

AppState89 wrote:Let me just say, that was the best game I have seen in person in years!!!!! We have made the two co-champs look like co-chumps the last two weeks.

I will put their fans equal to Montana fans. They were great people and all the App State fans had a good time at their tailgate.

Calling the fire Satt people!!! Where are you guys??? Funny how a few games can change people. Got to give him time. We will only get better. It's going to be a fun ride. Just hang on and enjoy folks!!!!

It's great to be a Mountaineer!!!!! Go Apps!!!!!
Oh, we're still here, not going anywhere. :roll: :roll: :roll:

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:25 am

APPARJ wrote:What a surprise. The posters that absolutely lost their minds and called for a coaching overhaul and Satt and Woody's head on a platter don't like being reminded of their ridiculous comments.

Defending Satt & Co. has nothing to do with being loyal or kind for our good ol' boy coaches. It has everything to do with the fact that some of us understand that (NEWSFLASH) no one on MMB knows the game of football or this roster as much as our coaches. And it takes a lot more than using amateur advice on a fan board to turn a program transitioning into the FBS around.

So all of this talk about "Well, I see that the coaches saw what everyone else saw and turned it around" is really just nonsense because we see a fraction of what they see.

In the end, everyone benefits because now we're really good at football again.
Well, guess we can all go back to sitting by the campfire singing Kum-by-ya, no need to have any more discussions on message boards, no more OPINIONS. RJ has spoken. Good night all.
Newsflash! :roll: :roll:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”