Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Greatest FCS Upsets Over FBS Schools

SouthernPigskin
School: Army

Greatest FCS Upsets Over FBS Schools

Unread post by SouthernPigskin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:37 pm

No surprise that App State's win over Michigan makes the list.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/sec/grea ... s-schools/

Yosef
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: Greatest FCS Upsets Over FBS Schools

Unread post by Yosef » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:41 pm

SouthernPigskin wrote:No surprise that App State's win over Michigan makes the list.

I'll assume you have some connection to the site based on your username. Tell the person who wrote the article that App State wasn't Division II and to my knowledge, Michigan has NEVER scheduled a Division II opponent. We were, however the first FCS (formerly known as Division I-AA, not Division II), that Michigan scheduled.

oldfart
School: Georgia Southern

Unread post by oldfart » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:43 pm

SouthernPigskin wrote:No surprise that App State's win over Michigan makes the list.

"This was the first time in the history of the program that the Wolverines scheduled a Division II opponent. "

SMDH... So glad we both have moved up...

Of course I am biased to our win over UF, but App beating UM was probably an even bigger deal at the time.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:01 pm

oldfart wrote:

"This was the first time in the history of the program that the Wolverines scheduled a Division II opponent. "

Of course I am biased to our win over UF, but App beating UM was probably an even bigger deal at the time.
Probably? Even with a subjective viewpoint, you can't say beating UF was bigger. Michigan was #5 in the AP poll and was stocked with NFL talent. C'mon man.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:02 pm

oldfart wrote:

At the time and forever. Michigan was ranked fifth in the nation and while they lost to us and again the following week, they rallied to finish with a decent record and beat Florida in the bowl game.

The Florida team you guys beat last year was one of the worst in their history and sucked from the beginning of the season to the end. Still a nice win for the resume, certainly, but it does not even equal the Michigan win.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:05 pm

ASUMountaineer wrote:
oldfart wrote:

Probably? Even with a subjective viewpoint, you can't say beating UF was bigger. Michigan was #5 in the AP poll and was stocked with NFL talent. C'mon man.

Same Michigan team went on to SPANK Tim Tebows Gators in a bowl game that year.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

oldfart

Unread post by oldfart » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:20 pm

I agree the UM win was a much more visible upset, but face it, you guys were loaded, had Lawnmower man, and eventually won a NC, while Michigan started the year very poorly and didn't take yall seriously in their opening game. I definitely considered it a big upset, but c'mon, you guys had a pretty good team that year(yet somehow you managed to lose to us :)). On the other hand, Florida was definitely down last year but played USCar and thUGA tightly. We were pretty subpar with tons of injuries last year, unexpectedly breaking in a new QB, and we even got blown out by a bunch of hillbillies.-no comment.. We went down there with all of this going on and didn't complete a pass on an SEC team and really still should have won by 2 TDS or more. Definitely yours got more attention, and rightly so, but looking more closely at it, I think ours was just as impressive, of course I do wear my blue goggles from time to time.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:37 pm

oldfart wrote:I agree the UM win was a much more visible upset, but face it, you guys were loaded, had Lawnmower man, and eventually won a NC, while Michigan started the year very poorly and didn't take yall seriously in their opening game. I definitely considered it a big upset, but c'mon, you guys had a pretty good team that year(yet somehow you managed to lose to us :)). On the other hand, Florida was definitely down last year but played USCar and thUGA tightly. We were pretty subpar with tons of injuries last year, unexpectedly breaking in a new QB, and we even got blown out by a bunch of hillbillies.-no comment.. We went down there with all of this going on and didn't complete a pass on an SEC team and really still should have won by 2 TDS or more. Definitely yours got more attention, and rightly so, but looking more closely at it, I think ours was just as impressive, of course I do wear my blue goggles from time to time.
;)

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:40 pm

oldfart wrote:I agree the UM win was a much more visible upset, but face it, you guys were loaded, had Lawnmower man, and eventually won a NC, while Michigan started the year very poorly and didn't take yall seriously in their opening game. I definitely considered it a big upset, but c'mon, you guys had a pretty good team that year(yet somehow you managed to lose to us :)). On the other hand, Florida was definitely down last year but played USCar and thUGA tightly. We were pretty subpar with tons of injuries last year, unexpectedly breaking in a new QB, and we even got blown out by a bunch of hillbillies.-no comment.. We went down there with all of this going on and didn't complete a pass on an SEC team and really still should have won by 2 TDS or more. Definitely yours got more attention, and rightly so, but looking more closely at it, I think ours was just as impressive, of course I do wear my blue goggles from time to time.
Good Lord, UF's lineman were blocking each other. :lol:

I never did hear if they found the sniper that took out your DB.

Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:12 pm

You know, when I read stupid posts by stink fans, and that's what this one was, stupid, I amuse myself by voicing Cletus the slack-jawed yokel from the Simpsons.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:18 pm

AppinVA wrote:You know, when I read stupid posts by stink fans, and that's what this one was, stupid, I amuse myself by voicing Cletus the slack-jawed yokel from the Simpsons.
Best video I could find

This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:24 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
AppinVA wrote:You know, when I read stupid posts by stink fans, and that's what this one was, stupid, I amuse myself by voicing Cletus the slack-jawed yokel from the Simpsons.
Best video I could find

Hey maw. Get off the dang roof!
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:54 pm

I think you have Ebola symptoms.
BLACK SATURDAY

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:49 pm

AppinVA wrote:
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Best video I could find

Hey maw. Get off the dang roof!
Some folk'll will get a real degree and then again, some folk'll will attend Gnatsboro U.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Florida sucked last year and had given up on the season. Michigan was ranked high, had a ton of talent on the offensive side of the ball and had aspirations of a National title run. Whether or not Michigan took us lightly is irrelevant. Florida had quit. Michigan had a winning record and Florida not.

Rick0714

Unread post by Rick0714 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:51 pm

To be fair, how do you define an "upset"? Is it winning when no one expects you to? or winning with lower talent? As a diehard Black & Gold football alum, I like to think App/Mich was more about us being a lot more talented and well coached than the Herbie, Maize & Blue, and national media bunch thought we were. I think Lou Holtz hit the nail on the head. He said, paraphrasing, what I saw today was NOT an upset. Appalachian State was the better team and we need to take notice.

GSU was not nearly as talented as UF, but, as good triple option teams tend to do, they just out-executed a poorly performing UF squad. So, maybe the GOSO poster has a point. Despite what you see on the SunBelt Board, I think a few GaSo fans have some sense. I played against and then coached with a GaSo football alum and he understands. Makes that '07 team look better in my eyes. Embrace it, we were BETTER than UM, not just a lucky shot. I'm not saying it is so, just letting that sink in as a possibility.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:46 am

Rick0714 wrote:To be fair, how do you define an "upset"? Is it winning when no one expects you to? or winning with lower talent? As a diehard Black & Gold football alum, I like to think App/Mich was more about us being a lot more talented and well coached than the Herbie, Maize & Blue, and national media bunch thought we were. I think Lou Holtz hit the nail on the head. He said, paraphrasing, what I saw today was NOT an upset. Appalachian State was the better team and we need to take notice.

GSU was not nearly as talented as UF, but, as good triple option teams tend to do, they just out-executed a poorly performing UF squad. So, maybe the GOSO poster has a point. Despite what you see on the SunBelt Board, I think a few GaSo fans have some sense. I played against and then coached with a GaSo football alum and he understands. Makes that '07 team look better in my eyes. Embrace it, we were BETTER than UM, not just a lucky shot. I'm not saying it is so, just letting that sink in as a possibility.
You may have a point. Still, I feel the GaSo poster was, well, being a GaSo poster. In their eyes, they had the greatest upset over a FBS team, even before they had a victory over one. It's just how their brain stems function.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:11 am

Brian stem, now that is clever, unfortunately its likely target will not be able to grasp the concept.

oldfart

Unread post by oldfart » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:55 am

Rick0714 wrote:To be fair, how do you define an "upset"? Is it winning when no one expects you to? or winning with lower talent? As a diehard Black & Gold football alum, I like to think App/Mich was more about us being a lot more talented and well coached than the Herbie, Maize & Blue, and national media bunch thought we were. I think Lou Holtz hit the nail on the head. He said, paraphrasing, what I saw today was NOT an upset. Appalachian State was the better team and we need to take notice.

This is what I was trying to say but maybe I didn't say it clearly enough. I thought it wasn't as much of an upset as ours was over UF because App was good that year and won an NC. Definitely the UM game garnered more attention, it was an upset, but yall were better than Michigan, end of story. We were beat up, playing a SEC team with a freshman QB with most of our running backs injured or out entirely. I thought it was a bigger UPSET for us because of this. Florida still had a monster defense. Of course it wasn't nearly as publicized or polarizing as yours by any means because yours was a game 1 win shocking an FBS institution. However it came to bear later that yall were probably actually the better team. I gave yall props but if I'm not welcome, I could just say App sucks and leave, however I was trying to have a civil discussion.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:07 am

oldfart wrote:

This is what I was trying to say but maybe I didn't say it clearly enough. I thought it wasn't as much of an upset as ours was over UF because App was good that year and won an NC. Definitely the UM game garnered more attention, it was an upset, but yall were better than Michigan, end of story. We were beat up, playing a SEC team with a freshman QB with most of our running backs injured or out entirely. I thought it was a bigger UPSET for us because of this. Florida still had a monster defense. Of course it wasn't nearly as publicized or polarizing as yours by any means because yours was a game 1 win shocking an FBS institution. However it came to bear later that yall were probably actually the better team. I gave yall props but if I'm not welcome, I could just say App sucks and leave, however I was trying to have a civil discussion.
Both fair points but you do understand that upset is an objective term. GS kicked a team that was down and ready for the season to be over and APP beat a team that had National Title aspirations. Even though some of the shine came off the win the next week when Oregon demolished Michigan; Michigan did finish the season with a winning record. I haven't done the research but how many FBS teams that lost to an FCS team finished the year .500 or better?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”