Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App asking for NCAA Waiver

T-Dog

Re: App asking for NCAA Waiver

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:42 pm

We'll hear something by the weekend.

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:44 pm

WXAPP wrote:hmmmmm .. I "Get it"... but yeah... bowl has to mean something big... Yay we won the "Eagle Brand Milk Bowl"... yay.. we are tops for Milk... King of the milk world! ...

Rose, Orange, Sugar... those have all lost luster with so many bowl games these days... just saying...
Any luster those bowls have lost isn't because of a bunch of lower-tier bowls, it's because of the BCS and now the playoff. Everyone wants to play for the national title, so the other bowls are seen as a consolation prize.

Nobody is seriously saying, "I don't know, I used to think the Rose Bowl was nice, but now that the GoDaddy.com Bowl exists, it's just not that impressive anymore."

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:23 pm

Yeah. I hear ya... The whole super conference thing... New fancy title.. same bacon and egg stack in football land... Either way.. I prefer my eggs cooked App Style..
Twitter: @wxcrum

IGgreer

Unread post by IGgreer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:50 pm

Yosef77 wrote:I still think we should join forces with GSU and propose a 1 time Bowl game where we play each other.
I am intrigued, but not hopeful about this waiver.

But seriously, let's stop with the fantasy-land posts about another game with GaSou this year.

bertolinidives

Unread post by bertolinidives » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:02 am

I wouldn't mind taking a bowl spot from a SBC with a worst record or one we beat. The GaSo thing is an impossibility, although I do like the "IneligaBowl". I'm not that witty and that is funny! But, I see the point that those were the rules to which we agreed and so be it. Does the SBC have an at-large tie in or is that for 2015?

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:56 am

bertolinidives wrote:I wouldn't mind taking a bowl spot from a SBC with a worst record or one we beat. The GaSo thing is an impossibility, although I do like the "IneligaBowl". I'm not that witty and that is funny! But, I see the point that those were the rules to which we agreed and so be it. Does the SBC have an at-large tie in or is that for 2015?
Yeah - I definitely think we should get the nod over an Arkansas State IF we get the waiver. As for the rest of the top half of the league, the biggest issue is that New Orleans Bowl almost certain to take ULL since it brings 40k fans, GA Southern would get a spot in Montgomery or Mobile before us...and South Alabama would likely get a spot in whichever one Southern doesn't go to. USA would get the edge on us with it being their home state. Also - they did beat us - and it will be their first bowl, I believe, so they'll be revved up.

We'd almost need it to be a conference like the MAC, CUSA, AAC or MWC not having enough Bowl Eligible teams for us to go. Unfortunately, Ohio U. got there last night...

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:01 am

None of this has much chance of happening but I am not in favor of APP being selected over another qualified SB team - these teams paid their dues to get to be eligible and I could never see the SB Admn agreeing to anything like that
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:43 am

WVAPPeer wrote:None of this has much chance of happening but I am not in favor of APP being selected over another qualified SB team - these teams paid their dues to get to be eligible and I could never see the SB Admn agreeing to anything like that
I agree completely. We knew the rules when we signed on to join the FBS ranks. I would not support our gaining a bid over any SBC team that is truly bowl eligible. Not exactly the best way to introduce yourself to your new league mates. I can only imagine the howls from App fans if such a thing were to happen to us.

Moreover, all this talk is silly considering we still have one game left to play.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:49 am

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, but we shouldn't be upset if the waiver isn't granted since those are the rules. Even if it is a dumb rule it is still the rule as of now.We can think Marshall for this rule even being in place.

As far as having too many bowls goes, the number of wins needed should go from 6 to 7 to be eligible. That would get rid of some bowls and insure many average teams don't make it in. Of course the big boys will never let this happen.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:56 am

JTApps1 wrote:I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, but we shouldn't be upset if the waiver isn't granted since those are the rules. Even if it is a dumb rule it is still the rule as of now.We can think Marshall for this rule even being in place.

As far as having too many bowls goes, the number of wins needed should go from 6 to 7 to be eligible. That would get rid of some bowls and insure many average teams don't make it in. Of course the big boys will never let this happen.
I understand the logic behind it, but I don't agree with the people that say there are too many bowls or that they should be reduced. If an entity says they want to host a bowl game because it is profitable, a sponsor feels the marketing is worth the $, and both teams want to be in it, then who are we to tell them they shouldn't do it? Heck, look at our season this year... setting aside the transition restrictions, imagine if they changed the threshold to 7 wins and we didn't get in due to Campbell not giving scholarships (six wins assuming we beat Idaho).

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:59 am

bertolinidives wrote:I wouldn't mind taking a bowl spot from a SBC with a worst record or one we beat. The GaSo thing is an impossibility, although I do like the "IneligaBowl". I'm not that witty and that is funny! But, I see the point that those were the rules to which we agreed and so be it. Does the SBC have an at-large tie in or is that for 2015?
The SBC has three bowl tie-ins this year and will add the fourth Cure Bowl in Orlando next year. After reading the Sun Belt Forum, I've been surprised how much voodoo and magic go into the bowl selections. Teams get passed up for bowls because their conference mates, who they beat, might be closer to the bowl location and therefore the bowl projects better revenues by selecting the team with the worse record.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:40 am

1) I hope we get the waiver just to say we were officially bowl-eligible even not going to a bowl--but, I won't be disappointed either as them's the rules.

2) I agree that I would be against taking a spot from an established SBC bowl-eligible team.

3) I just don't understand the "there are too many bowls" crowd. I used to think that way, but then I remember how I feel in July when there's nothing but baseball on. There are not too many college football games. I watch most of the bowl games and play in the bowl-pick'ems with buddies. Plus, who wouldn't want another opportunity to watch App play? I may be in the minority, but I like watching as much football as possible. Of course, this is just my opinion.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:43 am

We became so accustomed to having an extended season of up to what, 4 games (during the NC runs). We also got to enjoy, typically at least another home game. Last year we knew it was basically a throw away season. Would have been nice to take one more conference title but taht wasn't to be. If we had had a more typical App State year and finished with a record otherwise good enough to qualify for the playoffs it would have stung a little but it would have also been tempered by the fact that we had more scholarship players so...

this year we also knew the deal and knew that our only prize was an improbable SB championship. The realistic fans were bracing for a probable 3 or 4 win season coupled with a few ass kickings. After week 6 we were bracing for much worse. Now that we have turned it on we are like many programs- looking for that reward for being bowl eligible. While the whole "reward" aspect is a joke...you went 6-6, finished midway in your conference, but here is your reward (feels like the old every kid gets a trophy thing). After we kick the living bejesus out of Idaho, finish with a 6 game win streak (how many BCS teams will finish with a longer streak?) and go 7-5 I would say that we are certainly more deserving than many 6-6 teams but we will probalby just have to suck it up and endure the longest off season in the history of our program.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:52 am

IGgreer wrote:
Yosef77 wrote:I still think we should join forces with GSU and propose a 1 time Bowl game where we play each other.
I am intrigued, but not hopeful about this waiver.

But seriously, let's stop with the fantasy-land posts about another game with GaSou this year.
For once I agree with Greer. This discussion is like sitting in a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but doesn't really get you anywhere.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:35 am

The NCAA headquarters is about a half mile away from where I work here in Indy, Should I go knock on some doors today on my lunch hour? ;)

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:39 am

GreatAppSt wrote:The NCAA headquarters is about a half mile away from where I work here in Indy, Should I go knock on some doors today on my lunch hour? ;)
No, we want them to grant the waiver! :lol:
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:06 pm

ASUMountaineer wrote:
GreatAppSt wrote:The NCAA headquarters is about a half mile away from where I work here in Indy, Should I go knock on some doors today on my lunch hour? ;)
No, we want them to grant the waiver! :lol:
I think that is a fantastic idea. You are hereby appointed the spokesman for the panel of idiots (me included) who have come up with idea of either circumventing the rules for eligibility or for the proposed added bowl game. Once you get past security I am sure you will have no problem getting to talk with someone. Make sure you have a nice Powerpoint presentation and a little money to grease some palms.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:01 pm

appvette wrote:
The SBC has three bowl tie-ins this year and will add the fourth Cure Bowl in Orlando next year. After reading the Sun Belt Forum, I've been surprised how much voodoo and magic go into the bowl selections. Teams get passed up for bowls because their conference mates, who they beat, might be closer to the bowl location and therefore the bowl projects better revenues by selecting the team with the worse record.
I agree with your logic as well except there are some pretty crappy teams that get bowls, but I guess the market is there to support 38 games at this point. Last year I was for expanding the number of bowls simply because there were good G5 schools being left out due to the tie-ins the P5 conferences had with so many bowls. The thing that bothers me most is a 6-6 team from say the Big 10 getting a game over an 8 win G5 school. We all know those lower teams in several P5 conferences aren't more deserving than the top teams in the G5. The only solutions were to offer more bowls or raise the win total needed. The NCAA went with more bowls because the P5 schools weren't going to give up their slots.

I wish they would do away with tie-ins for all but the top 2 schools in each conference. Then let the bowls bid for the teams they want. I'm sure the Belk Bowl would rather have us than say Boston College .
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:40 pm

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:58 pm

While I'm not an advocate of the waiver, I suppose this is one way to at least say to our seniors who really had no postseason chances for the past two seasons, that we would like to reward you for your loyalty and effort.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”