Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Satterfield's Adjusted Contract

AppAttack

Re: Satterfield's Adjusted Contract

Unread post by AppAttack » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:33 pm

The Apps crushed a lot of money up there at 1-4. :shock:

diehardapp18
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:13 am

AppSt94 wrote:
T-Dog wrote: 50k for making the College Football Playoff (times two if he makes the final).
I like the vision for the program.
agreed the chancellor should go ahead and add 100k more to his salary for next year imo

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:52 am

moehler wrote:agree 100%, I know money is tight, but he is still one of the most underpaid coaches in the FBS, and that even if he hits his bonuses. I know he loves Boone, but that will only take you so far, eventually, he will grow tired of watching other coaches, making alot more, doing alot less. I also wonder about the Yosef club supplementing his contract, I know this is done at alot of other schools. We will be fine thru next year, but if he wins the SBC next year, they better come up with the money or he might be gone.
I don't think Yosef funds can be used for coaches' salaries.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:54 am

Another thing I just noticed was that there's a clause explicitly saying Scott can't take another head coaching job in App's conference during his contract, not negotiable. That would be known as the Charlie Cobb clause.

Plus, if Scott does very well next year, he'll be getting a new deal anyway.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:58 am

I'm assuming this is the adjustment that was announced during a particularly difficult part of our season following an unusually bad season the previous year. Had we gone 10-2 last season and started out in the Sunbelt with a win over Michigan and an undefeated conference schedule the board would have made a much more lucrative contract adjustment. As it was at the time, many, many of us were howling about the fact they gave Scott the raise in the first place. Things have changed and fortunes have turned, I hope for the long haul. The way the season ended, I would be very surprised if there have not been discussions around adjusting his "adjusted salary" sometime next season. Particularly if we start out with a big win or even a good scare at Clemson. Good for Scott 8-)

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:38 am

Quick question. Are these reported salaries all salary or are their benefits included in some? I.e. Cars, houses, buyouts, etc. it seems to be a wide range from top to bottom and I wonder if the reporting of salary info is being done using the same criteria for all schools.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:48 am

EastHallApp wrote:Related question, does he get any supplemental income from Yosef, Nike, IMG, etc.?
Generally speaking, roughly 25% of a coaches salary comes from the state. The balance comes from media rights, performance bonuses, shoe and apparel deals and boosters.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:29 am

After the 700 Club campaign is completed, we need to work on the $5mil coaching endowment. We've got quite a few quality coaches we need to try and hang on to in order to build all of our athletics into high majors on and off the court.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:50 am

question, if the Yosef club cant/wont use their money to supplement coaches salaries, than what specifically is their money being used for? We are going to run into a real problem in a couple of years paying Fox/SS the salaries the coaching market dictates. Realistically, I know we cant afford to pay top dollar, but at the same time we cant keep going cheap on quality coaches and expect them to stay more than a couple of years. This should be a top concern of the administration if they are serious about taking the athletic program to the next level.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:16 am

Appsolutely wrote:Isn't it interesting how things have changed? A couple of months ago some folks were discussing whether he should be fired; now, folks are worried about keeping him.
My thoughts exactly, Chris. Too many on here need to remember: "You're never as good as your last win, and you're never as bad as your last loss."

I'm glad to see the incentives that are part of the contract, especially the APR and academic incentives. I hope ASU never becomes one of those "football factories" where the sport is the player's major.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

IGgreer

Unread post by IGgreer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:32 am

Appsolutely wrote:Isn't it interesting how things have changed? A couple of months ago some folks were discussing whether he should be fired; now, folks are worried about keeping him.
Team was playing like absolute garbage early in the season. Criticism was definitely warranted.

Unbelievable turnaround though.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:44 am

moehler wrote:question, if the Yosef club cant/wont use their money to supplement coaches salaries, than what specifically is their money being used for? We are going to run into a real problem in a couple of years paying Fox/SS the salaries the coaching market dictates. Realistically, I know we cant afford to pay top dollar, but at the same time we cant keep going cheap on quality coaches and expect them to stay more than a couple of years. This should be a top concern of the administration if they are serious about taking the athletic program to the next level.
Scholarships.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:17 am

moehler wrote:question, if the Yosef club cant/wont use their money to supplement coaches salaries, than what specifically is their money being used for? We are going to run into a real problem in a couple of years paying Fox/SS the salaries the coaching market dictates. Realistically, I know we cant afford to pay top dollar, but at the same time we cant keep going cheap on quality coaches and expect them to stay more than a couple of years. This should be a top concern of the administration if they are serious about taking the athletic program to the next level.
The primary use of Yosef funds is student athlete scholarships. Those cost north of 4M each year so the Yosef Club provides ~75% of that need. If the Yosef Club donations were more that money could be used for other things to take us to the next level. If we are serious about athletics our administration AND our fans are going to need to step up in the coming years.

Mailed in my donation yesterday. Other than church that is the easiest check I write all year. Give to Yosef today!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:45 am

scatman77 wrote:
My thoughts exactly, Chris. Too many on here need to remember: "You're never as good as your last win, and you're never as bad as your last loss."
Look at it this way: One way or another, we're going to need to pay the head football coach a lot more in the near future. Either SS is going to win enough to warrant a big raise (which we all hope, and I think most of us expect), or he won't get the job done, will be let go, and we'll need to hire a new coach. Either way, paying our coaches at the bottom of the conference (and the nation) isn't sustainable for a successful program.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:05 am

Saint3333 wrote:
The primary use of Yosef funds is student athlete scholarships. Those cost north of 4M each year so the Yosef Club provides ~75% of that need. If the Yosef Club donations were more that money could be used for other things to take us to the next level. If we are serious about athletics our administration AND our fans are going to need to step up in the coming years.

Mailed in my donation yesterday. Other than church that is the easiest check I write all year. Give to Yosef today!
Whoever the next AD is needs to be someone with a track record of cultivating major donors and expanding a donor pool. Those of us who can only donate $500-$1,000 a year help a lot, but we need to be able to take a big step forward in the private fundraising part of it if we're hoping to attract/keep the best and brightest coaches.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:13 am

Where is all the money coming from? We have had to run a campaign on her to be able to buy a couple thousand dollars worth of strength equipment. When it comes to all our other needs we are batting 1000 on problems and 0 on solutions. In a program that was properly financed the SC coach would have gone to the AD proved the worth and the equipment would have been ordered the next day.
There is a big difference between wanting to pay a coach and having the ability to do so. We do a lot of things right as fans at ASU. Funding the program is not one of them.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:14 am

Obviously we MUST raise all of our football and basketball coaching salaries up to competitive numbers. Otherwise making the move to FBS will have been for naught. This has to be a major priority NOW!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:16 am

fjblair wrote:Obviously we MUST raise all of our football and basketball coaching salaries up to competitive numbers. Otherwise making the move to FBS will have been for naught. This has to be a major priority NOW!
It should have been a major priority when the study was done.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:41 pm

bcoach wrote:
fjblair wrote:Obviously we MUST raise all of our football and basketball coaching salaries up to competitive numbers. Otherwise making the move to FBS will have been for naught. This has to be a major priority NOW!
It should have been a major priority when the study was done.
At the end of this contract, Satterfield will be making about 4 times more than Jerry Moore ever made in a season, he makes about 3 times what Jerry Moore made now. Our DC makes more than Jerry Moore ever made in a season.

We've stepped up appropriately in year 1. The worst thing we could do is immediately start throwing around money for bigger salaries before a lot of the financial benefits of being D1 are realized.

This is a marathon, not a sprint...

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:21 pm

doesn't hide the fact that he is still one of the lowest paid HC in the FBS, I'm okay with it right now, but if they win the SBC next year, and go to a bowl, a distinct possibility, they are going to have to pay SS and his staff if they plan on keeping them, I would say minimum, based on other coaching salaries at the mid level, atleast $600,000.00 and a significant pay raise for his staff. You compared Moore's salary with Saterfield's salary, couple things to keep in mind, first, Moore was being paid a FCS salary, not a FBS salary, and second, Cobb repeatably tried to increase Moore's salary, but, if you believe Cobb, Moore refused, and instead had the money given to the assistants, I don't know if its true or not, just what I have heard.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”