Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Satterfield's Adjusted Contract

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Satterfield's Adjusted Contract

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:43 pm

moehler wrote:doesn't hide the fact that he is still one of the lowest paid HC in the FBS, I'm okay with it right now, but if they win the SBC next year, and go to a bowl, a distinct possibility, they are going to have to pay SS and his staff if they plan on keeping them, I would say minimum, based on other coaching salaries at the mid level, atleast $600,000.00 and a significant pay raise for his staff. You compared Moore's salary with Saterfield's salary, couple things to keep in mind, first, Moore was being paid a FCS salary, not a FBS salary, and second, Cobb repeatably tried to increase Moore's salary, but, if you believe Cobb, Moore refused, and instead had the money given to the assistants, I don't know if its true or not, just what I have heard.
Yes that is true.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:49 pm

appgrad wrote:
bcoach wrote:
fjblair wrote:Obviously we MUST raise all of our football and basketball coaching salaries up to competitive numbers. Otherwise making the move to FBS will have been for naught. This has to be a major priority NOW!
It should have been a major priority when the study was done.
At the end of this contract, Satterfield will be making about 4 times more than Jerry Moore ever made in a season, he makes about 3 times what Jerry Moore made now. Our DC makes more than Jerry Moore ever made in a season.

We've stepped up appropriately in year 1. The worst thing we could do is immediately start throwing around money for bigger salaries before a lot of the financial benefits of being D1 are realized.

This is a marathon, not a sprint...
We agree. We are paying Scott a lot of money for a coach with his experience. BUT. There is almost always a but. The salary wars are just down the road whether it be for him or a replacement. The horse is out of the barn. Coaches make more than most CEOs.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:19 pm

bcoach wrote:
appgrad wrote:
bcoach wrote:
fjblair wrote:Obviously we MUST raise all of our football and basketball coaching salaries up to competitive numbers. Otherwise making the move to FBS will have been for naught. This has to be a major priority NOW!
At the end of this contract, Satterfield will be making about 4 times more than Jerry Moore ever made in a season, he makes about 3 times what Jerry Moore made now. Our DC makes more than Jerry Moore ever made in a season.

We've stepped up appropriately in year 1. The worst thing we could do is immediately start throwing around money for bigger salaries before a lot of the financial benefits of being D1 are realized.

We agree. We are paying Scott a lot of money for a coach with his experience. BUT. There is almost always a but. The salary wars are just down the road whether it be for him or a replacement. The horse is out of the barn. Coaches make more than most CEOs.
Scott is homegrown, his wife is from the area and his kids are young. I think that this is where he wants to be and if that is truly the case then I don't know that he would necessarily leave for a larger payday. Money doesn't drive everyone. Having said that, one of the things that might work against us is the lack of a weekly television show. Coaches get a piece of that media pie and the fact that we don't have one is a detriment to us keeping SS and Fox.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:34 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
appgrad wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Scott is homegrown, his wife is from the area and his kids are young. I think that this is where he wants to be and if that is truly the case then I don't know that he would necessarily leave for a larger payday. Money doesn't drive everyone. Having said that, one of the things that might work against us is the lack of a weekly television show. Coaches get a piece of that media pie and the fact that we don't have one is a detriment to us keeping SS and Fox.
Well money either is a problem or it isn't. But that only covers one scenario. How about the one where Scott has some rough years and has to be replaced. Do we have another home grown boy who doesn't want a big salary to come on board. Something I learned long ago is that money doesn't matter till it does.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:55 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
appgrad wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Scott is homegrown, his wife is from the area and his kids are young. I think that this is where he wants to be and if that is truly the case then I don't know that he would necessarily leave for a larger payday. Money doesn't drive everyone.
No offense, but this exactly the approach I think we can't afford to take. I have no idea what it would take for him to take another job, but if we think he is going to turn down a chance to, say, triple his salary - which most AAC schools could afford to do based on his current pay - then I'm afraid we're setting ourselves up to fail.

Look, we're probably never going to be able to stop a coach from leaving if the SEC, Big Ten, or a high-level ACC program comes calling. If we're paying the football coach $900,000 and someone else offers him $3 million, then in all likelihood he's gone. What we need to do is try to make sure that if someone offers him $1.2 million, we're at least competitive enough that he can stay at App without feeling like he's shortchanging himself and his family.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:07 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote: Scott is homegrown, his wife is from the area and his kids are young. I think that this is where he wants to be and if that is truly the case then I don't know that he would necessarily leave for a larger payday. Money doesn't drive everyone.
No offense, but this exactly the approach I think we can't afford to take. I have no idea what it would take for him to take another job, but if we think he is going to turn down a chance to, say, triple his salary - which most AAC schools could afford to do based on his current pay - then I'm afraid we're setting ourselves up to fail.

Look, we're probably never going to be able to stop a coach from leaving if the SEC, Big Ten, or a high-level ACC program comes calling. If we're paying the football coach $900,000 and someone else offers him $3 million, then in all likelihood he's gone. What we need to do is try to make sure that if someone offers him $1.2 million, we're at least competitive enough that he can stay at App without feeling like he's shortchanging himself and his family.
None taken. I am not saying that we should be content and sit back and not prepare for a situation. All I am saying is that I think SS would take a home team discount to stay here. If someone wants to offer him a deal that doubles his current salary then I think he would talk to the administration about a counter offer and I don't think that we have to reach deeper than we can afford to keep him. An offer to show that we recognize his open market value would be enough to keep him.

Serious question though. How many SBC coaches have been offered HC jobs at P5 schools? Malzan is the only one that I can think of.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:49 pm

AppSt94 wrote:Serious question though. How many SBC coaches have been offered HC jobs at P5 schools? Malzan is the only one that I can think of.
The guy Malzahn replaced, Hugh Freeze, took the Ole Miss job. The guy that succeeded Malzahn, Bryan Harsin, took the Boise State job, which isn't P5, but they're going to the Fiesta Bowl this year.

Bobby Petrino left WKU (who was in the SBC at the time) to join Louisville last year. His predecessor Willie Taggert left to join South Florida, who was in the Big East, a BCS conference, at the time.

ULL's Mark Hudspeth could have had a number of jobs by now if he wanted to leave.

With Blakeney retiring, the longest tenured Sun Belt head coach is Todd Berry at ULM and Dennis Franchione at Texas State, both having finished their seventh seasons.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:35 pm

TDog's post is part of a larger point they Sun Belt HC quality has generally been very good lately. That's why you've only recently seen guys moving up to bigger jobs. Before this, you had a lot of old lifers like Blakeney or old retreads like Schnellenberger, Dan McCarney and Charlie Weatherbie. We'll have to pay a lot more for our next coach, and SS will get a nice bump when/if he gets an extension. Better to work our way up to that number then go there right now. I know a lot want to hate on Charlie, but he probably did us a favor by having this hire in place pre-move or we'd be paying at least what Southern is paying Fritz.

hAPPy4APP

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:34 am

I totally get the point here, and appreciate your compiling this information, but we really aren't comparing apples to apples. SS just finished his first-ever season as HC. Thankfully for him , the team, and App-Nation, it came together at the end, but when all is considered, it would certainly be reasonable that he would be at the bottom of the heap in salary - at least for now.
Time and success will settle any arguments about where he is in the salary pecking order IMOP>

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:59 am

hAPPy4APP wrote:I totally get the point here, and appreciate your compiling this information, but we really aren't comparing apples to apples. SS just finished his first-ever season as HC. Thankfully for him , the team, and App-Nation, it came together at the end, but when all is considered, it would certainly be reasonable that he would be at the bottom of the heap in salary - at least for now.
Time and success will settle any arguments about where he is in the salary pecking order IMOP>
He actually just finished his second season as a HC. Note that Blake Anderson just finished his first season as a HC and makes double what Satterfield makes.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:11 am

Guys whether we pay SS $400k or $700k it isn't likely to matter. I don't see him leaving for a non P5 school and if a P5 program wants him we will not be able to match.

I have a feeling SS and family like their current situation and aren't going to trade their position for a couple hundred thousand. That may sound silly to some but once you over a certain amount the incremental difference doesn't mean as much as other things in life.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:04 pm

hAPPy4APP wrote:I totally get the point here, and appreciate your compiling this information, but we really aren't comparing apples to apples. SS just finished his first-ever season as HC. Thankfully for him , the team, and App-Nation, it came together at the end, but when all is considered, it would certainly be reasonable that he would be at the bottom of the heap in salary - at least for now.
Counting the 2014 season Coach Satterfield has now finished his second season as head coach of the Mountaineers hasn't he? ;)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

MJ1988

Unread post by MJ1988 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:22 pm

All I can say is it's kind of crazy how much ball coaches make. I love sports and it's not jelosy thing. It says a lot about our society. Good for them.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:25 pm

MJ1988 wrote:All I can say is it's kind of crazy how much ball coaches make. I love sports and it's not jelosy thing. It says a lot about our society. Good for them.
Point well taken, but coaches make a pittance compared to professional athletes in the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.
Google SUX

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:48 pm

The contract approved by the BOT in the original post on September 26th has finally been finalized by all needed parties (UNC BOG specifically). Satt signed it on December 19th and the final signature was penned today by App State BOT Chair Bradley Adcock today.

And if you're thinking "hey this took a long time", then yes you're right.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:26 am

bcoach wrote:
moehler wrote:doesn't hide the fact that he is still one of the lowest paid HC in the FBS, I'm okay with it right now, but if they win the SBC next year, and go to a bowl, a distinct possibility, they are going to have to pay SS and his staff if they plan on keeping them, I would say minimum, based on other coaching salaries at the mid level, atleast $600,000.00 and a significant pay raise for his staff. You compared Moore's salary with Saterfield's salary, couple things to keep in mind, first, Moore was being paid a FCS salary, not a FBS salary, and second, Cobb repeatably tried to increase Moore's salary, but, if you believe Cobb, Moore refused, and instead had the money given to the assistants, I don't know if its true or not, just what I have heard.
Yes that is true.
You are exactly 1000 % right about Moore turning down salary raises in favor of his assistant coaches. Cobb wasn't the only one who stated that.
No matter if we were to pay Coach Satterfield a cool mil and he has roots in the area, he likely will leave if the big boys come calling with, say, 3 mil. Based on last year's 6 game run the latter segment of the season, he deserves all we can afford to give him, but having said that, it's ironic we had to have an MMB fund raiser to obtain the needed conditioning equipment.
Google SUX

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:12 am

I don't see the irony at all. No one affiliated with the university asked for money to purchase the equipment. We, as fans, did this fundraiser on our own volition to show our enthusiasm for the way the 2014 season ended, our support for all of our student-athletes and the future of App athletics.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:50 am

A bonus for 930 APR? Really? Seems like we are setting the bar awfully low for academic/ graduation expectations.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:21 am

moonshine wrote:I don't see the irony at all. No one affiliated with the university asked for money to purchase the equipment. We, as fans, did this fundraiser on our own volition to show our enthusiasm for the way the 2014 season ended, our support for all of our student-athletes and the future of App athletics.
I didn't say it was wrong nor unsolicited, just ironic. With the move to FBS and with a top of the line facility and equaliy top conditioning staff, we shouldn't be wanting of anything equipment nor facility wise. 7,000 dollars or whatever the initial goal was should be chump change. We need every dime we can muster to get back to full funding through our Yosef scholarship program as someone on here stated we are not fully funded now with our move up.
Google SUX

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:27 pm

NewApp wrote:
moonshine wrote:I don't see the irony at all. No one affiliated with the university asked for money to purchase the equipment. We, as fans, did this fundraiser on our own volition to show our enthusiasm for the way the 2014 season ended, our support for all of our student-athletes and the future of App athletics.
I didn't say it was wrong nor unsolicited, just ironic. With the move to FBS and with a top of the line facility and equaliy top conditioning staff, we shouldn't be wanting of anything equipment nor facility wise. 7,000 dollars or whatever the initial goal was should be chump change. We need every dime we can muster to get back to full funding through our Yosef scholarship program as someone on here stated we are not fully funded now with our move up.
JC-We did get our first influx of money once we joined the Belt from the playoff split and a few other bits but where did that money have to go? It went to raising the coaches salaries for our current staff, money to hire Coach Fox and Coach Angel at higher wages than we would have if were still a SoCon school, etc. It's going to take a few years before we can build any sort of coffer and even then it's still going to be a slow build with all the additional expenses we are dealing with. This was all fully known when we moved and will be something we deal with until the next set of changes come down the pipe. The tendo units and trap bars are things that usually only the P5's and a few bigger G5's have the money to fund and we just simply didn't have it in the budget for equipment that many peer schools don't have. But Coach Mike used them at USC and it was more of a wish than a request. Moonshine and I just decided to try and make that wish come true. It's as simple as that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”