Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Was this the best App team ever?

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Was this the best App team ever?

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:59 pm

APPARJ wrote:
proasu89 wrote:
Niner National wrote:I actually watched more than half your games this year and I watched probably about the same amount Armanti's senior year. In some ways this team was definitely better, but it is hard for me to ever pick against great QB play, so I'd probably go with that team over this year's simply because of Armanti.
Thanks for the kind words but AE's career ended at the 1 yard line in the semis at Montana in 09. The "great years" were his freshmen and Sophmore years. (06 & 07)
Thanks to Brian Quick.

I'll always pull for BQ and any App guy in the NFL, but there will always be a stigma for me with BQ because he ended AE's career with a pass that hit him right in the hands in the endzone.

I refuse to watch any replay of that game.
The stigma that I posses about BQ is him being quoted in the media that he didn't receive any coaching at ASU.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:01 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:2006 might have been the best. Close loss to NCSU- should have beaten them and I think we had shots but could not cash in. 14 straight wins which is crazy in of itself. Wins of 41-0, 41-6, 45-21, 56-21, 40-7, 42-13. Playoff wins of 45-28, 38-17, 49-24 and championship win of 28-17. I am convinced that team could have won any number of bowl games. Appreciated what Trey Elder brought to the program but had we known what we had in AE things might have been different in that game. If we had run the table with a 15-0 record this thread would have no debate.
Had Armanti started , I think we would have beaten NC State. I can still hear that stupid Wolf howl over the PA. Enough to gag a maggot.
Google SUX

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:24 am

I also remember AE's first play at App State, against NCSU was a end around on the right side for 12yrd or so..
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:01 pm

proasu89 wrote:
appfanz wrote:When this conversation starts I always think about the 85 :D team. That defense was the best I've ever seen. We pitched three shutouts and two other teams only managed a field goal against us. That was Dino Hacketts 200 tackle season also which to me is still an unbelievable feat.
85 was my first year on campus. I wish now that I could remember more about how good that defense was. :D
Sometimes, I have to ask Jim Beam or George Dickel or Jack Daniels about the games during those years to remember exactly what happened.
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:11 pm

AppState89 wrote:I also remember AE's first play at App State, against NCSU was a end around on the right side for 12yrd or so..
I remember a JMU fan behind me taunting "Down Goes Frazier" when Elder got his bell rung the next week. I thought alright MFer...., then AE comes in and leads a drive and scores a TD. A star was born that day.
BLACK SATURDAY

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:45 pm

APPARJ wrote:
proasu89 wrote:
Niner National wrote:I actually watched more than half your games this year and I watched probably about the same amount Armanti's senior year. In some ways this team was definitely better, but it is hard for me to ever pick against great QB play, so I'd probably go with that team over this year's simply because of Armanti.
Thanks for the kind words but AE's career ended at the 1 yard line in the semis at Montana in 09. The "great years" were his freshmen and Sophmore years. (06 & 07)
Thanks to Brian Quick.

I'll always pull for BQ and any App guy in the NFL, but there will always be a stigma for me with BQ because he ended AE's career with a pass that hit him right in the hands in the endzone.

I refuse to watch any replay of that game.
I more blame the coaching staff for calling a pass play. AE should have had every option available to him. Yes, BQ probably should have caught the ball, but limiting AE's options made no sense to me.

I DVR'd that game, and it sat on my box until we turned them back in--I never watched it a second time.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:30 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
AppState89 wrote:I also remember AE's first play at App State, against NCSU was a end around on the right side for 12yrd or so..
I remember a JMU fan behind me taunting "Down Goes Frazier" when Elder got his bell rung the next week. I thought alright MFer...., then AE comes in and leads a drive and scores a TD. A star was born that day.
I remember the chatter in the stadium after the touchdown. It wasn't normal chatter. It was of "did we just see what we thought we just saw?" It was a good day.

I know in the span of a few minutes I went from thinking Trey would give us a good season, but I wasn't sold that he could back up the NC...to there is no way we win a title now, much less the SoCon...to we could win five in a row. :lol:
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:36 pm

Everyone knows that it's impossible to name the very best team ever and get consensus from fans who wear their hearts on their sleeves. Only oldtimers who've seen all of our "modern era" teams play have any real clue; and they don't always agree,

But since the question has been floated, here's my answer. I've been around a little bit and have seen a few players, teams and coaches come and go.

2006, 2007, 1975 and Honorable Mention to Kidd Brewer's '38 team that went 9-1-1 and "E.C Duggans' Boys" of 1947 who went 9-1-0. Another honorable mention to Scott Satterfield's 2014 team for a mid-season awakening and six straight impressive wins.

Duggans' Boys, in particular, rate a second mention. Most members of his '47 team were survivors of WWII. They were a group of tough as nails Navy guys who fought the Japanese in the Pacific Theatre at Pearl Harbor, Okinawa, Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima; and a group of fearless Army infantrymen, tank commanders and Army Air Force pilots who helped to push the Germans out of western Europe and put the Nazls on trial in Nuremburg. A couple of them were POWs held in death camp prisons by the German SS. To all these guys, mere college football was a piece of cake experience--because they'd seen real warfare up close and personal.
Last edited by asu66 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:40 pm

asu66 wrote:Everyone knows that it's impossible to name the very best team ever and get consensus from fans who wear their hearts on their sleeves. Only oldtimers who've seen all of our "modern era" teams play have any real clue; and they don't always agree,

But since the question has been floated, here's my answer. I've been around a little bit and have seen a few players, teams and coaches come and go.

2006, 2007, 1975 and Honorable Mention to Kidd Brewer's '38 team that went 9-1-1 and "E.C Duggans' Boys" of 1947 who went 9-1-0. Another honorable mention to Scott Satterfield's 2014 team for a mid-season awakening and six straight impressive wins.

Duggans' Boys, in particular, rate a second mention. Most members of his '47 team were survivors of WWII. They were a group of tough as nails Navy guys who fought the Japanese in the Pacific Theatre at Pearl Harbor, Okinawa, Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima; and a group of fearless Army infantrymen, tank commanders and Army Air Force pilots who helped to push the Germans out of western Europe and put the Nazls on trial in Nuremburg. A couple of them were POWs held in death camp prisons by the Germans. To all these guys, mere college football was a fun rec experience--because they'd seen real warfare up close and personal.
The same scenario applies to the men who came home after the Korean War and walked right on the practice field and began playing and starting.
Google SUX

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:43 pm

True that!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”