Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Possible new Bowl game in South Carolina?

spong
School: Appalachian State

Possible new Bowl game in South Carolina?

Unread post by spong » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:34 pm

This is really the type of thing that we talk about when news is slow.

1st off my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by the terrible terrorist attack in Charleston.

With that said it looks like South Carolina will soon be removing the rebel flag from the grounds of the capital. Your personal feelings aside this will finally lift the NCAA ban and ACC ban on championships in the state of South Carolina. Right now South Carolina is barred from hosting NCAA tournament games, bowls, and ACC Champion tournaments.

Once the ban is lifted one would expect a state so hungry for football to try and land a Bowl game. Perhaps at Johnson Hagood Stadium in Charleston which has hosted one of those college all-star games in the past which aren't actually affiliated with the NCAA in the past.

If the state tries to add a bowl game then one would expect the Sun Belt to go after trying and be affiliated with said bowl game; for no other reason than we try and affiliate with anything that has the word "bowl" in the title. If it happened us and Georgia Southern would end up going there a lot (I won't bring up Georgia State for obvious reasons) since we are the only school that kind of make sense geographically; and one of the few school that have fans at away games.

It would feel really odd to play hard all season for a chance to travel to the home of the Citadel.

MDaniels84

Re: Possible new Bowl game in South Carolina?

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:38 pm

I live in Greenville SC so I am a little selfish about this idea but I think that a bowl game in Charleston would be very well attended , especially by my App brethren . Lots of El Cid alums would attend as well, I am sure.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:52 pm

spong wrote:This is really the type of thing that we talk about when news is slow.

1st off my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by the terrible terrorist attack in Charleston.

With that said it looks like South Carolina will soon be removing the rebel flag from the grounds of the capital. Your personal feelings aside this will finally lift the NCAA ban and ACC ban on championships in the state of South Carolina. Right now South Carolina is barred from hosting NCAA tournament games, bowls, and ACC Champion tournaments.

Once the ban is lifted one would expect a state so hungry for football to try and land a Bowl game. Perhaps at Johnson Hagood Stadium in Charleston which has hosted one of those college all-star games in the past which aren't actually affiliated with the NCAA in the past.

If the state tries to add a bowl game then one would expect the Sun Belt to go after trying and be affiliated with said bowl game; for no other reason than we try and affiliate with anything that has the word "bowl" in the title. If it happened us and Georgia Southern would end up going there a lot (I won't bring up Georgia State for obvious reasons) since we are the only school that kind of make sense geographically; and one of the few school that have fans at away games.

It would feel really odd to play hard all season for a chance to travel to the home of the Citadel.
Good points but the NCAA has once again shown their true colors in allowing USC to host women's basketball tournament game. Could it be that the women's coach is a former all-american, Olympic gold medal winning black female? No way.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:53 pm

scatman77 wrote:
spong wrote:This is really the type of thing that we talk about when news is slow.

Good points but the NCAA has once again shown their true colors in allowing USC to host women's basketball tournament game. Could it be that the women's coach is a former all-american, Olympic gold medal winning black female? No way.
SC, CCU, and Clemson have all hosted baseball regionals as well. The flag isn't the reason we don't have a bowl game in SC.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

mountaineer91

Unread post by mountaineer91 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:35 am

JTApps1 wrote:
scatman77 wrote:

SC, CCU, and Clemson have all hosted baseball regionals as well. The flag isn't the reason we don't have a bowl game in SC.
Also The Citadel has hosted for the last two years a College All-Star game (Not sure if NCAA needs to approve) Word is that Charleston is working hard to host a bowl game in the next couple of years. One would think that the Sun Belt, AAC and Conference USA schools would be the leagues that tried to get this bowl for simple fact schools have regional ties or travel cost would be less. I think the Sun Belt would be one tie in for sure with App St, Georgia Southern, Georgia St, S. Alabama and Troy. Conference USA possible because of MTSU, ODU, Marshall, UNCC, WKU might travel well to this bowl as well as FIU, and FAU. The AAC has Memphis, ECU, South Florida and Central Florida that would probably travel well too. I would think if this bowl did happen these three conferences would try to get the bowl tie-in with the Sun Belt probably being a good fit. Of course with the SEC and ACC they may want to get a tie-in as well because even with a lower bowl schools like Wake, Duke, UNC, NC State, Georgia Tech or from the SEC Kentucky, Vandy, USC, Arkansas etc...They would travel well to Charleston. Just thinking about regional a bowl in Charleston could be a good fit.

Niner National
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Niner National » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:28 pm

It would definitely be a good bowl to rotate CUSA, SBC, and AAC tie-ins.

I think all 3 conferences would support it relatively well.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:08 pm

If it is true that the NCAA banned bowl games in SC because of the flag, although I am against the flag being flown on Capitol grounds, I think the NCAA should have stayed out of the PC crappola.

Now if it were flown at games, that would be a different matter.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”