Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Gillin comments on future schedules

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: Gillin comments on future schedules

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:03 pm

I understand what you're saying, but I believe we have a ton to gain by playing ECU in Charlotte. How about two in Charlotte, one in Boone and one in Greenville?

I do feel that we should not agree to a two in Greenville with one in Boone, or one in Greenville and the other in Charlotte. If we play one in Greenville, we have to play one in Boone. We're both G5s.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:57 pm

ECU has had many neutral-site games at BoA so the novelty has worn off for them. It's not something I would do long term but once in a while (3-4 years) it's not a bad idea.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:28 pm

I think the key takeaway here is that Gillin realizes, as he said on the radio today, that he needs to be creative to make the best possible schedules for App. Instead of just assuming no one noteworthy will come to Boone, or leaping to spend millions to add 10,000 seats before the demand is there to fill them, he's thinking progressively. I give him a lot of credit for that.

As far as neutral site games, those are becoming more and more a trend in college football. I certainly don't see how it would make us look small-time when the FSUs, Alabamas, LSUs and Oregons of the world are playing at neutral sites regularly. At least we're (presumably) talking about a location that would be convenient for both fanbases. The challenge, of course, will be to put enough butts in the seats to make it a success. But if the goal is to play in a big-time game, which is better, playing ECU in an NFL stadium or playing a home-and-home versus some 4-8 MAC team?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:43 pm

AppDawg wrote:
AppinVA wrote:Id be open to two neutral site games against ECU, provided no games on the contract were scheduled to be played in Greenville. I'd be ecstatic.
Question: what makes ECU better than Marshall or Wake that they get neutral site treatment and not "home and home?"
Wake is a small school with a small alumni base and usually not a very good team. There's no reason for them to play anyone at a neutral site, let alone App.

I can't think of any venue that would make sense for Marshall. Plus, as big a game as that is for App, it doesn't have the in-state factor to drive extra hype. And frankly it doesn't sound like Marshall fans are exactly thrilled about playing us.

I am with you 110% about being willing to play certain teams 2-for-1, BTW. I'd probably even extend that willingness to a few more teams than you would.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:59 pm

EastHallApp wrote: At least we're (presumably) talking about a location that would be convenient for both fanbases. The challenge, of course, will be to put enough butts in the seats to make it a success. But if the goal is to play in a big-time game, which is better, playing ECU in an NFL stadium or playing a home-and-home versus some 4-8 MAC team?
You concussed that nail.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:27 am

As far as neutral site games, those are becoming more and more a trend in college football. I certainly don't see how it would make us look small-time when the FSUs, Alabamas, LSUs and Oregons of the world are playing at neutral sites regularly.

--------------

There is a BIG difference between Elite P5 vs Elite P5 in a hyped up kickoff bowl game promoted ad nauseam by the mothership for months which gets primetime treatment and without a doubt is a sellout game.

A G5 vs G5 neutral site game without all that hype at a half empty NFL stadium (no way an App vs ECU game would ever fill it up) pales in comparison to the names you threw out. its Apples and Oranges.

Small time is doing a neutral site game "just because everyone else is doing it." Adding to that not filling up the stands and still having the perception "we moved our home game away from home for no reason other than some think our stadium is too small." whoever made the comment about players playing closer to home - I don't buy it. Boone is just 1.5 hours from charlotte. I don't think such a short drive keeps many families and friends away from games. Further, I don't see how playing in a half empty stadium entices recruits. I want them to see how wild and crazy Boone gameday's are - a la the halloween game vs Wofford or the Montana game. I have a feeling when Wake and Marshall come to town the atmosphere will blow the best of what we experienced in FCS out of the water. IMOP that is what sells our program to recruits.

To your question of ECU at neutral site or MAC, I opt for MAC./other top rated G5 at home that will help us get the access bowl slot. ECU didn't move home games to neutral sites to play UNC or NCSU and we shouldn't have to in order to play ECU at "home." We have been there twice in recent years during hellish heat - time for us to return the favor. My vote is for them to pay us a visit in November...

Mississippi State played at S. Alabama last year, NCSU has or is playing at Troy... ECU is not a juggernaut so big that they can't make a trip up the mountain. Simple as that.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a series with ECU. I simply just don't get the allure of a neutral site for the sakes of playing at a neutral site - and I have yet to see a good arguement made for neutral site games pitting G5 vs G5.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:28 am

I don't think we should sign a H&H with them if our home game is on a neutral site, but a one off game or maybe a 3 game series with one of them at BOA would be fine. With the right build up and affordable ticket prices we should be able to get 50-55k fans in BOA combined which is well over half full.

We also wouldnt be on our own promoting the game as it would go through Charlotte Collegiate Football and the city who gets up to 4 free rentals of the stadium a year. I know we almost had a game with WVU in BOA, but the Panthers wanted $3.5 million in rent. Now there would only be a charge for staffing to cover. Maybe that is something we could revisit?
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:53 am

AppDawg wrote: ECU didn't move home games to neutral sites to play UNC or NCSU and we shouldn't have to in order to play ECU at "home." We have been there twice in recent years during hellish heat - time for us to return the favor. My vote is for them to pay us a visit in November...

Mississippi State played at S. Alabama last year, NCSU has or is playing at Troy... ECU is not a juggernaut so big that they can't make a trip up the mountain. Simple as that.

Sounds like you're assuming the neutral site game would be INSTEAD of an App home game.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:54 pm

Neutral site games would be fun and allow more fans to attend from across the state (Charlotte), but the Charlotte area will profit from the game. Boone or Greenville (if ECU) gets nothing. The Boone area business don't want that at all. They want games in Boone, just like other cities want home games. Just my $.02
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:56 pm

Drawing big in a neutral site game might show certain conferences that 1. We draw and 2. Charlotte is part of the App market...plus there is a big bonus in recruiting not only in sports but student interest.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:47 pm

Rekdiver wrote:Drawing big in a neutral site game might show certain conferences that 1. We draw and 2. Charlotte is part of the App market...plus there is a big bonus in recruiting not only in sports but student interest.
Student interest? Seriously. How is having a game at a neutral site for students where they have to pay for gas lodging plus tickets to the game driving interest? A marquee game at home, in Boone, where they have free admission seems like that would drive increased student interest more.
Last edited by AppDawg on Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:50 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
AppDawg wrote: ECU didn't move home games to neutral sites to play UNC or NCSU and we shouldn't have to in order to play ECU at "home." We have been there twice in recent years during hellish heat - time for us to return the favor. My vote is for them to pay us a visit in November...

Sounds like you're assuming the neutral site game would be INSTEAD of an App home game.
If we are the designated home team it is instead of a Game in Boone.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:09 pm

Another thought. Recruiting has been brought up a lot and the exposure of playing in an NFL stadium entices recruits. We already play in an empty one every other year in the ATL. Why add a half full one to the list?

Look, as I pointed out in one of my earlier comment a P5 vs P5 super hyped up game with corporate sponsors and primetime TV paying us to play, I get it. Still don't like those type games, I prefer tradition but economically it makes sense. I just don't see that happening with a game between us and ECU.

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Think Big Boys!....Think big!
Go APPS!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:48 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:Drawing big in a neutral site game might show certain conferences that 1. We draw and 2. Charlotte is part of the App market...plus there is a big bonus in recruiting not only in sports but student interest.
Student interest? Seriously. How is having a game at a neutral site for students where they have to pay for gas lodging plus tickets to the game driving interest? A marquee game at home, in Boone, where they have free admission seems like that would drive increased student interest more.
I was talking about student interest in App , not students attending..which they appsolutely would. In case you dont realize it UNCC is garnering more and more interest from prospective students. YOu can't buy the market blitz we would get from a game in Charlotte

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:43 pm

A game in Charlotte might draw better than Boone over the Thanksgiving weekend.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:00 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
AppDawg wrote:
I was talking about student interest in App , not students attending..which they appsolutely would. In case you dont realize it UNCC is garnering more and more interest from prospective students. YOu can't buy the market blitz we would get from a game in Charlotte
Wow... Trying to have an honest debate here. Not going to get drug into mudslinging and name calling.

I misread your post to be current student interest. The reference to UNCC leads me to believe you are referring to prospective students... My bad.

Still, I just don't get it. I think we have the best product to sell and the perfect package to sell it in and that is the atmosphere at KBS. We continue to win and have replays shown on local news and the mothership it resonates. Until we can sell out or sell 90% of a 75,000 seat stadium being the home team at a neutral site does nothing for me and I don't see how moving a game 1 1/2 hours off the moutain moves the needle.

As previously stated, I trust our Admin and hope they consiser this from all angles.

Until then, We'll all have to agree to disagree.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:14 pm

AppDawg wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

If we are the designated home team it is instead of a Game in Boone.
If we play them in Greenville and their return game is in Charlotte, yes. But perhaps that won't be the case.

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree. I do think it's an exciting possibility though. Hopefully we get them in Boone AND a neutral site and everyone's happy.

One other thought - I wouldn't be so quick to assume there wouldn't be any corporate sponsorship for an App-ECU game. Obviously it wouldn't be on the same level as the big national games, but I bet we could get someone to throw in some money. Who knows, it might even be a foot in th door for an ongoing partnership.

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Playing big games at a neutral site (read: larger stadium located in nearby metro area) worked well for the likes of Bama and Ole Miss for many years as a means to compensate for somewhat inadequate on-campus facilities. This could be a good way to cope with having a small stadium as we move up the ranks in scheduling bigger and better opponents. Hopefully neutral site means BOA Stadium

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:10 pm

I like the recruiting tactic of App telling kids "...and you will get to play a game in Charlotte every year!" Keep that up please. ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”