Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App picked as 28 pt dog to Clemson

moehler

Re: App picked as 28 pt dog to Clemson

Unread post by moehler » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:39 am

McGuire 6'1 225, Jones 6'2 215, Meadows 6'2 180, if they cant get off the line against some 6'0 170 lb defensive back then we don't deserve to win the game. I'm more worried about then getting separation on deep routes. Our starters are big and strong possession receivers, but that really don't have break away speed. I'm not sure about the other receivers, hopefully a couple of them have the ability to stretch the field.

DoubleA
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by DoubleA » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:21 am

Just to set the record straight, Mountaineers don't give a !#* about playing the dog, to Clempson, or whoever. After all, we're a scrappy sort, with a mean streak a mile wide, and we won't back down! And we love nothing better than to walk into your place and get into a knock down, drag out, dog fight and leave some bloody noses in the wake. And now that the roster is expanded BCS style, all the better.

Bring it on!

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:56 am

I like what you sayin

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:01 am

I agree AA......Anybody....Anywhere

But the point stands ;-)

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:15 am

firemoose wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:Thinking about Clemson is good and all, but right now I'm worried about Howard. Remember, we're half a season removed from being embarrassed at home to FCS Liberty.

"We have 11, they have 11, score starts 0-0...we have a chance to beat them" --- Guess what, Howard believes the same thing.

BEAT HOWARD!
This thread was about Clemson. But my quote was generic to every team on our schedule and it applies TO every team on our schedule. I wasn't looking past Clemson. Just wanted to clear that up also given that you put "" around the line and I was the one who said something similar. I've never looked past the next game. Not as a player, coach, or fan. :D

BEAT HOWARD!!!
FireMoose, I see how it came across as I was calling you out specifically...wasn't my intention. It was more of a general response to several posts. Good news is, as much as we, the fans look past Howard, hopefully the coaches won't.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:52 am

http://isportsweb.com/2015/08/02/clemso ... son-polls/

"as they start the season with two (presumably) easy games against Wofford and Appalachian State. Hopefully the opening two weeks will allow the Tigers to ease into the season and shake off any remaining rust before matching up against some of the country’s most talented teams"

Interesting that in the ESPN FPI Louisville is ranked 44 and APP is 53. If there is any merit to that statistical ranking, which I think there is for a form of overall relative comparisons, I don't see a huge difference between the level of competition between those two opponents (Louisville & APP). This writer describes us as an "easy game" and Louisville as one of "some of the country's most talented teams". There must be one helluva drop off between 44 and 53.

I don't think Dabo and the coaches will take such a cavalier attitude towards APP but if the team treats us like this then it is only good news for our potential outcome.

I hope they keep up the dribble until game time as it only helps our guys get motivated to prove where they stack up.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:19 am

moehler wrote:McGuire 6'1 225, Jones 6'2 215, Meadows 6'2 180, if they cant get off the line against some 6'0 170 lb defensive back then we don't deserve to win the game. I'm more worried about then getting separation on deep routes. Our starters are big and strong possession receivers, but that really don't have break away speed. I'm not sure about the other receivers, hopefully a couple of them have the ability to stretch the field.
These are all great points and must have performances for us to win. How much separation did Meadors need when he caught the diving one handed catch at goal line last year?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:43 am

moehler wrote:McGuire 6'1 225, Jones 6'2 215, Meadows 6'2 180, if they cant get off the line against some 6'0 170 lb defensive back then we don't deserve to win the game. I'm more worried about then getting separation on deep routes. Our starters are big and strong possession receivers, but that really don't have break away speed. I'm not sure about the other receivers, hopefully a couple of them have the ability to stretch the field.
I think Meadors does have the speed to get deep, as do some of our other young receivers. Question is whether they can win more playing time over the older guys. McGuire, for example, may not blow by anybody, but he can take out a CB on a running play and allow Cox to get to the edge. Not to mention he just does a good job finding open space.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:47 am

As someone said previously, getting separation is key and Lamb's ability to get the ball to the right place for the receiver to pull it in. This requires precise route running, strength, footwork and arm play (without getting a penalty) and then physically pulling the ball in without it getting stripped, when the QB puts the ball in the place that only our receiver can reach. It will be a fact that our receivers will have to work against a strong press coverage and in traffic in the 5-25 yard range and be effective for us to draw the defense back out of the box.

This year I believe we have a QB that can accurately put the ball where the receivers WILL BE in a timely manner and then let them finish the play. Our receivers will also have to get off the line and get sufficient separation while staying with their routes. I believe our current crop of WR's can achieve this too.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:55 pm

It will be hot. It will be loud. I've been in that stadium many many times, and I can tell you from field level it looks ENORMOUS.

Anyone care to predict a score?

I'll say App trails at halftime by 10, falls by 17. Final score 21-38.

I hope I'm wrong and we keep it closer than that.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:43 pm

The key to this game will our O line play in the first quarter. Can they block Clemson's interior and handle the speed on the outside to give Taylor the time to throw or our backs a crease to get into the secondary. Will we run a two back set or use the H back? Got to keep Clemson speed honest.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:48 pm

I think 17-20 sounds about right, I'm still not a believer their defense will be hitting on all cylinders, since they are replacing so many players, I think we should be able to score 3 tds and put up over 350 yds. Clemson is going to be really good, just not sure it will be at the beginning of the season.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:01 pm

I really have high expectations for our team this year and believe we are going to pull off the big upset. I think both teams will score 4-5 times each and we pull it out with some late game heroics. I think our team is serious about making this a statement game and will step up strong for this one. Call me crazy or not but I think these guys are going to show the college football nation they are serious contenders this year.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:38 pm

man, its so tough to predict these games, I wouldn't be surprised if your right and we pull off the upset, I also wouldn't be surprised if they destroy us. Like you said this type of game is to have the right attitude, if we go in scared, and passive, they are going to beat the hell out of us, the staff must get it in their heads that they belong on the same field with the tigers.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:54 pm

Overall we should make a good showing. As is the case with every ACC game, not only do you have to win it on the field, in addition you must get by the ACC Officiating. Believe me, there will be a lot of home cooking going on.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:45 pm

moehler wrote:man, its so tough to predict these games, I wouldn't be surprised if your right and we pull off the upset, I also wouldn't be surprised if they destroy us. Like you said this type of game is to have the right attitude, if we go in scared, and passive, they are going to beat the hell out of us, the staff must get it in their heads that they belong on the same field with the tigers.
You hit a very good point about our mental attitude and whether we are scared.
- When we won the National Championships our team had a swagger when we played other FCS teams and it showed. I think that carried them at times and was that intangible that helped them win.
- Numerous times when we were FCS we went into games against top FBS schools and we got behind or something happened and we psyched ourselves out, game over.
- When we beat Michigan, after that completion to Jackson, the team believed they could compete.
- In the South Alabama game last year, I think our team got intimidated when they lined up as the first game of SBC (excluding GSU because we knew them). USA were bigger and played us very aggressively. They scored early and we wilted.
- Against Wake all those years our guys were used to playing them year over year and were never intimidated so we played them competitively.
- Against UGA in 2013 we played mentally tough but didn't have the horses (QB and other players) to get it done. I was there and the good news was our guys believed in themselves.

Our current team has to mentally believe that they can go into Death Valley and compete. They then need to play up to the top of their ability with few mistakes. I truly believe if they do that then we have the talent to win. We got our head on straight last year and went to StAte and ULL and took care of business. We even made a number of mistakes and still won so we have lots of room for improvement.

appgrunt71

Unread post by appgrunt71 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:43 pm

We're now discussing the team's attitude, but I guarantee you that Iron Mike has been pumping attitude since day one in S&C training. Being fit to play includes mental outlook and Iron Mike is a motivator. I know that our players are thinking Clemson every rep in the weigh room. Every record set in the weight room, every record set in speed drills come from the attitude that we can not only compete with Clemson, but we can beat them. App State will win on Sept 12th, but it will be close.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:19 pm

Off to a bad start for this QB.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:39 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:

Off to a bad start for this QB.
Not listed as the #2 on their depth chart, so I doubt this will effect on play calling. If he was, I'd bet Dabo would be a little more cautious.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:52 am

He may be a RS freshman and was not going to see the field anyway. This does give them one less option however. Though a bummer for the young man to be injured on the first day of college ball.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”