Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

elevate3333: Coastal Carolina vs. Eastern Kentucky

elevate3333
School: Appalachian State

elevate3333: Coastal Carolina vs. Eastern Kentucky

Unread post by elevate3333 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:59 pm

Coastal Carolina vs. Eastern Kentucky: A Sunbelt Addition

Karl Benson has said the Sun Belt is still looking for an eastern travel partner for our Mountaineers, and it came out last week that these two are under consideration.

Take a look at my overview of the schools.

http://elevate3333.com/2015/07/28/coast ... -addition/
Attachments
Elevate 3333 logo.jpg

moehler

Re: elevate3333: Coastal Carolina vs. Eastern Kentucky

Unread post by moehler » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:54 pm

neither one moves the needle for me, CC has really good Olympic sports, and a decent baskeball program that would improve the SBC, but, they aren't ready for FBS football, these days getting to the FCS playoffs isn't that difficult, especially when your playing in the Big South, and their stadium only seats alittle over 9000, and I bet they cant put 7000 in for a game, way too much competition on a Sat afternoon for people to choose, bottom line you have to wonder if the Conway/Myrtle beach area can become a collage football town and really support the program. EKU is located in a traditional football town, but they don't seem to have any momentum going forward, seems to me the renivations to the football stadium are just enough to get them "up to code", and I'm not sure if they even have any plans to really put any big time money into the football program, but on the plus side,they do have a good basketball program. I guess both will improve the Olympic sports, but neither one, probably for atleast 5 or 6 years are going to help the SBC in football.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:52 pm

Realistically, there are no current FBS programs that would want to join the Sun Belt that would make a good fit for App State.

Don't get me wrong. I'm grateful to be where we are and I cannot wait for this season.

That said, give me Coastal all day. At the very least it's a regional opponent near the beach.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:07 am

Let's not pretend anything other than football is driving this bus. Good basketball is a bonus, but without good football any expansion school is just another Georgia State.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:00 am

you guys summed it up pretty well, CC probably is the better of the two, and atleast our fans can travel to Myrtle beach, but, as you said, football drives the bus, and I just don't see how CC or EKU are going to strengthen the conference, atleast in the short period. This decision feels almost rushed, no one else is beating down CC or EKU door to join their conferences, you have to wonder if the main driver of this decision is to find App a travel partner, and keep us happy.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:28 am

If these are the only two schools we're having serious talks with then CCU is in my mind the better pick. Neither school is ready, but UNCC and GSU weren't ready either and they're both in FBS now. Of course they both have bad football, but it is what it is. Coastal could at least have their stadium up to 20,000 in one year since it is metal and was designed to be expanded. Their Olympic sports are a step or two ahead of EKU in every sport except MBB which is even.

It's too bad a school like UTC or even ETSU didn't take the right steps years ago to be in position to move up.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:48 am

I prefer CCU, but only if they keep football FCS until 2018, they aren't ready facilities and attendance wise.

Play SBC all other sports starting 2016. FCS 2016 and 2017, 2018 FBS transition year, 2019 full SBC schedule, 2020 bowl eligible.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:56 am

interesting you mention UTC, I always thought that while we were in the SC if there was any school with the most potential to move up, it was UTC, great metro area to grow the brand, wonderful stadium that just needed alittle renovation and expansion, great access to recruiting grounds, to be honest, they really would not have to do a lot to prepare for the move up. I guess their leadership never saw the potential for growth in the athletic dept.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:06 am

moehler wrote:interesting you mention UTC, I always thought that while we were in the SC if there was any school with the most potential to move up, it was UTC, great metro area to grow the brand, wonderful stadium that just needed alittle renovation and expansion, great access to recruiting grounds, to be honest, they really would not have to do a lot to prepare for the move up. I guess their leadership never saw the potential for growth in the athletic dept.
That or they understand the finances are not right for them right now...nor are they in a a strong a strong enough competitive position to move.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:54 am

One drawback to Coastal moving up, from App's perspective, is that there's currently no G5 football program in South Carolina. There's a lot of talent in that state, and if a recruit isn't offered by Clemson or South Carolina, he's going to have to leave the state to play FBS. That puts us on even footing with every other G5 for those recruits, and we're making good use of that pipeline.

If Coastal goes FBS, suddenly they're the home-state option for those kids (and near the beach to boot). Might make the sledding a little tougher.

luvyosef

Unread post by luvyosef » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:49 pm

Give me EKU.
Appalachian State University (Excellence since 1899)

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:57 am

How many folks know that Coastal has a larger athletic budget than we do? Spends more on football? Has a larger recruitment budget? And pays its coaches more?

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:44 am

yet they are only seeing 6 or 7 thousand at a home game. I think CC has a lot of potential, I just don't think the community is ready to fully support a FBS football program. I would feel much more comfortable with them if we brought in all sports except football, and lets wait 3 or 4 years then bring in football. They haven't proven to me that they can put 20 thousand, hell, 15 thousand butts in seats on a Sat afternoon. If they can go 3 or 4 years averaging 15 thousand plus, then I would feel a lot better about them.

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:31 pm

moehler wrote:yet they are only seeing 6 or 7 thousand at a home game. I think CC has a lot of potential, I just don't think the community is ready to fully support a FBS football program. I would feel much more comfortable with them if we brought in all sports except football, and lets wait 3 or 4 years then bring in football. They haven't proven to me that they can put 20 thousand, hell, 15 thousand butts in seats on a Sat afternoon. If they can go 3 or 4 years averaging 15 thousand plus, then I would feel a lot better about them.
Correct me if I'm wrong...doesn't the NCAA require and average attendance of 15k or more to remain post season eligible? Granted, they'd probably need a few years to be competitive, but still...

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:48 am

to be honest I'm not sure how that works, does the NCAA give a grace period for schools that move up, or must they immediately average 15 thousand?

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:30 am

Not feeling it. ASU does not need a "travel partner" that bad. Wait for the right program rather than just grabbing a warm body. Don't be desperate!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:22 pm

fjblair wrote:Not feeling it. ASU does not need a "travel partner" that bad. Wait for the right program rather than just grabbing a warm body. Don't be desperate!
I get that football drives the bus and while Coastal has a ways to go attendance-wise, they do seem to be putting together a decent program that has the potential to get even better. As for the total athletic program, they are already ahead of us. They have achieved far more success in the Olympic sports including baseball than we have come close to achieving. The only better choice I see currently is JMU and they don't seem inclined to join us.

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:24 pm

Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:52 pm

I think their Olympic sports are great, and I agree theirs is way ahead of ours, but, as stated before, football drives the bus, not women's soccer, they have a long, long way to go before their football program, and especially the surrounding community are ready for the FBS.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”