Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

elevate3333: Coastal Carolina vs. Eastern Kentucky

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: elevate3333: Coastal Carolina vs. Eastern Kentucky

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:24 pm

fjblair wrote:Not feeling it. ASU does not need a "travel partner" that bad. Wait for the right program rather than just grabbing a warm body. Don't be desperate!
The travel partner is not for us but for others to hit two schools on one trip. Travel partners help the other schools in the SB.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:52 pm

moehler wrote:I think their Olympic sports are great, and I agree theirs is way ahead of ours, but, as stated before, football drives the bus, not women's soccer, they have a long, long way to go before their football program, and especially the surrounding community are ready for the FBS.
Football matters no doubt and in the end that's what will make or break the selection. However, I don't think their football program has that far to go. The biggest issue is increasing the size of their stadium, which, if you listened to their AD on the Ark State show, did not seem to be a problem. Of course, the increase of their stadium needs to be matched with a corresponding increase in attendance. I would think games against the likes of us and Ga Southern would easily get them beyond 15,000. They already spend more on football and their overall athletic program than we do.

Personally, what makes them attractive to me is the fact that they upgrade the SBC's profile in many of the Olympic sports. That's not what gets them in the conference but they improve the conference across the board.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:58 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
fjblair wrote:Not feeling it. ASU does not need a "travel partner" that bad. Wait for the right program rather than just grabbing a warm body. Don't be desperate!
The travel partner is not for us but for others to hit two schools on one trip. Travel partners help the other schools in the SB.
We benefit from the travel partner as far as basketball goes. If you look at the 2015-16 sked, teams coming to Boone on Saturday will often not have a game on Thursday while we are playing on that day.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:33 pm

Visiting teams can arrive in Boone days before we get in from off the road, should they choose. Will they, probably not. Having to spend more than a little while in Boone in January and February is pretty difficult when you get tired of playing in the snow, but having a night of rest while we play somewhere else and fly back home to someone who is waiting does kill the advantage of being at home. It only needs to happen a time or two for it to cripple our chances at getting a home court win. Being in the top four, or two, in the league is a big advantage come tournament time.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:45 pm

I respectfully disagree that increasing their stadium size is their biggest hurdle, from what I have heard, the way their stadium is built its not a big deal to expand it, the big problem is getting the community behind the program to sit in 100 degree weather to watch CC vs App or GS. That area has never shown it can support a FBS football program, I just think there is to much else to do on a Sat afternoon than to sit on metal benches in tropical weather to watch mid majors. I will say this, I get the impression the CC leaders were surprised that the SBC approached them, they haven't even hinted that they wanted to move up, now I get the feeling they aren't sure what to do, if the CC leadership isn't confident about the move, maybe that says something.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:54 pm

moehler wrote:I respectfully disagree that increasing their stadium size is their biggest hurdle, from what I have heard, the way their stadium is built its not a big deal to expand it, the big problem is getting the community behind the program to sit in 100 degree weather to watch CC vs App or GS. That area has never shown it can support a FBS football program, I just think there is to much else to do on a Sat afternoon than to sit on metal benches in tropical weather to watch mid majors. I will say this, I get the impression the CC leaders were surprised that the SBC approached them, they haven't even hinted that they wanted to move up, now I get the feeling they aren't sure what to do, if the CC leadership isn't confident about the move, maybe that says something.
Why would they be playing in the afternoon when it is 100 degrees? Like many deep South schools they could play early season games at night. I absolutely think the Coastal leadership is interested in pursuing the possibility. Because they hadn't sought it doesn't mean they aren't interested. I believe given the opportunity to join the Belt they will do what it takes to make it happen. I certainly don't see the CC admin in the mold of JMU. Like any school making the move there are obstacles to be sure, but I think they are in a better position than you suggest. Budgetary wise, they are likely as prepared, if not moreso, that we were.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:56 pm

hapapp wrote:Why would they be playing in the afternoon when it is 100 degrees?

ESPN.

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:04 pm

moehler wrote:I respectfully disagree that increasing their stadium size is their biggest hurdle, from what I have heard, the way their stadium is built its not a big deal to expand it, the big problem is getting the community behind the program to sit in 100 degree weather to watch CC vs App or GS. That area has never shown it can support a FBS football program, I just think there is to much else to do on a Sat afternoon than to sit on metal benches in tropical weather to watch mid majors. I will say this, I get the impression the CC leaders were surprised that the SBC approached them, they haven't even hinted that they wanted to move up, now I get the feeling they aren't sure what to do, if the CC leadership isn't confident about the move, maybe that says something.
I can tell you with CONFIDENCE that CC is treating this very seriously. A little birdie indicates that they are meeting "a lot" to determine next steps.

...and a side question...how would WE know if they can or can't support FBS football....they have never had the challenge!....I think a SBC team in Myrtle Beach makes our recruiting MUCH more difficult!
Go APPS!

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:54 pm

I wouldn't have a problem bringing in all sports except football, and then bring football on board in 3 or 4 years. I just don't think football is going to help the conference in the next 3 or 4 years. Question for anyone who knows, what is the entrance fee for CC to join the SBC? If its a huge amount I could see CC telling the SBC its "all or nothing" concerning them joining. Maybe they can get creative with the entrance fee, if the wait a few years before they bring in football.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:01 pm

Coastal has come light years since their last appearances at KBS. In the past two years they have dominated the Big South, advanced deep in the FCS playoffs, beat Montana AT Montana, and scared the Bejesus out of NDSU. They have seven current NFL players including Josh Norman and Mike Tolbert on the Panthers. Not too shabby. Add their Baseball success, location and proximity, etc… and they make a promising conference member, especially looking at who else is out there. I'm certainly not scared of recruiting against them, because we have many intangibles ourselves, and hey, WE ARE APP STATE.
Let JMU disappear into the abyss, bring on a team with momentum and a high ceiling- even if their mascot leaves a little to be desired. :D

TheMackAttack

Unread post by TheMackAttack » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:02 pm

moehler wrote:I wouldn't have a problem bringing in all sports except football, and then bring football on board in 3 or 4 years. I just don't think football is going to help the conference in the next 3 or 4 years. Question for anyone who knows, what is the entrance fee for CC to join the SBC? If its a huge amount I could see CC telling the SBC its "all or nothing" concerning them joining. Maybe they can get creative with the entrance fee, if the wait a few years before they bring in football.

You'd have to think that the entry fee is different for football and non-football playing schools. Maybe they can pay the non-football entry fee up front and they pay the difference out of their share of the football revenue after their join.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:26 pm

hapapp wrote:
moehler wrote:
Why would they be playing in the afternoon when it is 100 degrees? Like many deep South schools they could play early season games at night. I absolutely think the Coastal leadership is interested in pursuing the possibility. Because they hadn't sought it doesn't mean they aren't interested. I believe given the opportunity to join the Belt they will do what it takes to make it happen. I certainly don't see the CC admin in the mold of JMU. Like any school making the move there are obstacles to be sure, but I think they are in a better position than you suggest. Budgetary wise, they are likely as prepared, if not moreso, that we were.
As an entire athletics department you may be right as far as being more prepared than we. When we moved up our football program was good not great. Our men's basketball was down. Baseball was down. In the major sports we were (as much as many of us hate to admit it) a one trick pony. With specific regards to budget...spending more money doesn't necessarily make you a better program. CCU is spending about a million dollars more per year as an FCS than App as an FBS. To me that says either A) aggressive expansion (good) or B) gross mismanagement of funds.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:13 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
hapapp wrote:
moehler wrote:
As an entire athletics department you may be right as far as being more prepared than we. When we moved up our football program was good not great. Our men's basketball was down. Baseball was down. In the major sports we were (as much as many of us hate to admit it) a one trick pony. With specific regards to budget...spending more money doesn't necessarily make you a better program. CCU is spending about a million dollars more per year as an FCS than App as an FBS. To me that says either A) aggressive expansion (good) or B) gross mismanagement of funds.
Perhaps their success across the board is reflected in how they budget.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:28 pm

So money buys wins? Don't think so. Bad coaching hires and a general lack of fan interest can explain our basketball woes. We had great baseball but Pollard got poached by an ACC school.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:58 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:The travel partner is not for us but for others to hit two schools on one trip. Travel partners help the other schools in the SB.
The "travel partner" does make it easier for other Sun Belt schools to combine 2 distant games with one trip. However, a travel partner for us will benefit App more than any other Sun Belt school. Our athletic budget benefits significantly from a bus trip to EKU or CCU instead of a chartered flight to Texas St (for instance) - especially when factoring in multiple sports. Hence, the reason App is pushing a travel partner.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”