Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Georgia Southern gets 2 votes in Coaches Poll.

Boonegoon
School: Appalachian State

Georgia Southern gets 2 votes in Coaches Poll.

Unread post by Boonegoon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:32 pm

EastHallApp

Re: Georgia Southern gets 2 votes in Coaches Poll.

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:30 pm

List of Voters

The Amway Board of Coaches is made up of 64 head coaches at Bowl Subdivision schools. All are members of the American Football Coaches Association. The board for the 2015 season: Dino Babers, Bowling Green; David Bailiff, Rice; Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech; Craig Bohl, Wyoming; Terry Bowden, Akron; Art Briles, Baylor; Troy Calhoun, Air Force; Matt Campbell, Toledo; Rod Carey, Northern Illinois; Norm Chow, Hawaii; Paul Chryst, Wisconsin; Larry Coker, Texas-San Antonio; David Cutcliffe, Duke; Mark Dantonio, Michigan State; Tim DeRuyter, Fresno State; Bob Diaco, Connecticut; Larry Fedora, North Carolina; Jimbo Fisher, Florida State; Kyle Flood, Rutgers; Dennis Franchione, Texas State; James Franklin, Penn State; Willie Fritz, Georgia Southern; Al Golden, Miami; Todd Graham, Arizona State; Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State; Jim Harbaugh, Michigan; Mark Helfrich, Oregon; Doc Holliday, Marshall; Mark Hudspeth, Louisiana-Lafayette; Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech; Joey Jones, South Alabama; Brian Kelly, Notre Dame; Brad Lambert, Charlotte; Lance Leipold, Buffalo; Rocky Long, San Diego State; Mike MacIntyre, Colorado; Gus Malzahn, Auburn; Doug Martin, New Mexico State; Dan McCarney, North Texas; Ruffin McNeill, East Carolina; Bronco Mendenhall, Brigham Young; Urban Meyer, Ohio State; Les Miles, LSU; Phillip Montgomery, Tulsa; Jim Mora, UCLA; Ken Niumatalolo, Navy; George O'Leary, Central Florida; Gary Patterson, TCU; Chris Petersen, Washington; Paul Petrino, Idaho; Gary Pinkel, Missouri; Paul Rhoads, Iowa State; Mark Richt, Georgia; Mike Riley, Nebraska; Nick Saban, Alabama; Frank Solich, Ohio; Steve Spurrier, South Carolina; Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee State; Bob Stoops, Oklahoma; Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M; Dabo Swinney, Clemson; Tommy Tuberville, Cincinnati; Matt Wells, Utah State; Kyle Whittingham, Utah

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Touché! But who is the other one?

TheMackAttack

Unread post by TheMackAttack » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:06 pm

Paul Petrino?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:14 pm

One coach could've voted them 24?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:16 pm

Pretty sure it was Faux Pelini who voted them in.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:26 pm

AppinVA wrote:One coach could've voted them 24?
That was my assumption, though at second glance, I wouldn't be shocked if Paul Johnson gave them a vote too.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:27 pm

It really is hard for our fanbase to accept the fact that right now Ga Southern is more highly regarded than we are. We find every reason to denigrate any positive accomplisment they earn or press they receive. In most cases, the preseason is often a product of the previous season and we know GS had a better inaugural year than we did. It remains to be seen what happens this season but I'm content to let them get the accolades.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:39 pm

hapapp wrote:It really is hard for our fanbase to accept the fact that right now Ga Southern is more highly regarded than we are. We find every reason to denigrate any positive accomplisment they earn or press they receive. In most cases, the preseason is often a product of the previous season and we know GS had a better inaugural year than we did. It remains to be seen what happens this season but I'm content to let them get the accolades.

Actually if you look at all the various preseason polls and power rankings, I'd say we've probably been ranked above them as often as not. I'm not "denigrating" their two points in the poll, just hazarding a guess as to where they came from.

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:16 pm

It could also be Franchine (sp?) from Texas State.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:22 pm

ya, almost every publication I have read in the last 2 months has us either one or two. I think the big reason GS is being talked about so much, is every time there is a positive write up, no matter how small or insignificant, our GS friends take the opportunity to point it out to the entire SBC and try to convence us and ultimately themselves, how great they are. There is the big difference between the two fan bases, the majority of App fans tend to be low key with our success, and show class whether we win or lose. GS fans tend to be much more vocal when they win, and tend to make excuses when they lose, ie: the Brian Quick juggling catch in the back of the endzone, to this day they will not admit they lost that game, the refs, in their opinion blow the call, they just cant accept the fact they lost. I'll be honest with you guys, I know we are in the same conference, and we are suppose to pull for them when their not playing us, but guys, I just cant pull for GS in any sport, I get it, it petty, but after listening to them since the SC days, they just have worn me down.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:33 pm

Paul Johnson.

AtlantaMountaineer

Unread post by AtlantaMountaineer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:41 pm

moehler wrote:ya, almost every publication I have read in the last 2 months has us either one or two. I think the big reason GS is being talked about so much, is every time there is a positive write up, no matter how small or insignificant, our GS friends take the opportunity to point it out to the entire SBC and try to convence us and ultimately themselves, how great they are. There is the big difference between the two fan bases, the majority of App fans tend to be low key with our success, and show class whether we win or lose. GS fans tend to be much more vocal when they win, and tend to make excuses when they lose, ie: the Brian Quick juggling catch in the back of the endzone, to this day they will not admit they lost that game, the refs, in their opinion blow the call, they just cant accept the fact they lost. I'll be honest with you guys, I know we are in the same conference, and we are suppose to pull for them when their not playing us, but guys, I just cant pull for GS in any sport, I get it, it petty, but after listening to them since the SC days, they just have worn me down.
Living in Georgia its doubly hard pulling for anything GS, especially when you have some friends and co-workers that went there. Class and GS never fit in the same sentence.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:48 pm

hapapp wrote:It really is hard for our fanbase to accept the fact that right now Ga Southern is more highly regarded than we are. We find every reason to denigrate any positive accomplisment they earn or press they receive. In most cases, the preseason is often a product of the previous season and we know GS had a better inaugural year than we did. It remains to be seen what happens this season but I'm content to let them get the accolades.
You can take those exact words and flip them. They won the Sun Belt last year, whined their way into the hearts of CFB fans and still are envious of App State.

They're not going to admit it, but GaSo has an inferiority complex because App's won 7 of the last 10 meetings. Their fans are more vocal on Twitter and they mention App a lot more than App fans mention them. And then there's the excuses for the losses.

2005? Sewak was a bad coach. 2006? BVG's fault. 2008? The refs said Armanti broke the plain when he obviously didn't. 2009? Hatcher was a moron. 2011? The refs screwed em again cause Quick was bobbling the balll. 2012? The refs screwed em again cause Price was out of bounds and JJ was sacked for a safety. 2013? Too many injuries?

And the 2007, 2010 and 2014 wins? Well that's God's team reclaiming their rightful spot.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:10 pm

the Michigan game kill them, it got us the national spotlight they badly wanted. I will admit, on the SBC board, I have gotten into "pissing wars", with some of the more vocal GS fans when they insult App. I always feel really stupid after doing that for several reasons, first, I end up lowering myself to their level, and maybe, the most important reason is, they will never, ever shut up, and it becomes just a futile and pointless discussion that ends up being a total waste of time. Last point, if we are being fair, their are a few GS fans who are actually decent guys whom you can have an intelligent discussion, and unfortunately, there are some App fans, who, you cringe, when they really get going on a message board, but overall, I don't think there is any doubt the majority of App fans tend to carry themselves with much more class than our GS friends.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:38 pm

What is a shame is they don't have more "votes." There are 6 SBC coaches who submit rankings. They should take pride in looking out for the conference and voting for their conference mates. How in the heck are we going to earn respect as a conference if our own freaking coaches don't vote SBC?

I think the conference should have an unwritten rule at a minimum the pre-season predicted conference winner is voted in the top 25 in each vote cast by participating conference coaches. If each put the predicted conference champ at #20, they would have received 30 votes which would have been pushing for inclusion in the top 25.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:20 am

The point is we don't have to find a reason to discount their standing in the poll. I'm sure if we had gotten two points in the coaches poll it would have gone unmentioned here.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:30 am

It's a rivalry, and it's the dog days of summer.

And The stink still stinks.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:07 am

I hate the Stink, but I genuinely think it's ridiculous they got two votes. There's no reason behind it at all. They finished well outside the top 25 last year and lost 10 players that played six games or more.

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:39 am

Heck, I think it's great that they got honorable mention. From my perspective, it gives added motivation to our players and coaches to get better and be able to show them who's better. Don't get me wrong, I hate the Stink too!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”