Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Georgia Southern gets 2 votes in Coaches Poll.

deahlnr
School: Appalachian State

Re: Georgia Southern gets 2 votes in Coaches Poll.

Unread post by deahlnr » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:41 am

The thing for me in terms of Georgia Southern is when will they actually start playing the big boys? I mean sure they play us this year. But last year we were basically it in our conference. They had none of the top teams. Again this year we are it! Put them up against Arkansas State and Louisiana Lafayette last year they likely lose. I get why they vote for them. Cause they know they've got that schedule that's simple enough to do what they did last year again.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:42 pm

I personally don't think they should be in the top 25 either. I think based on where they finished last year, the players they lost, and their performance/margin of victory in second half of last year do not convince me that they are a top 25 team at this point. Maybe they grow into it by end of season but no way are they on day one. However, if you look purely at the vote count ranking and continue it down into the "also received votes teams" they end up tied for 48 overall. That itself is not as hard to accept and I would have loved for App to have appeared in that range, although, again, to get any of those votes someone had put them into top 25.

IMO for us, from a respect perspective, I think we have gotten a very reasonable amount of respect when amortizing all of the national preseason rankings/publications. There is a very reasonable question hanging over our heads and that is "Can we sustain the level of play from second half of last year and can we build on it?" If we can for an entire season, I think a lot more believers will be in our camp. It just so happened that GSU had a good year last year and their schedule helped them. I would rather have my team and resume right now. We ran the gaunlet in the second half of last year and kicked butt when MOST people thought we were going to get killed. We just need to build on that and take it to the next level.

I have no doubt that more respect will follow with that type of performance.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:34 pm

I agree, the national mags have been very kind to us this offseason, I have seen 3 or 4 that had us finishing in the top 2, with one having us go 11-1. I believe I saw only one that had us ranked below the top 3. The difference is, every time someone says something good about us, we aren't running to the message boards to tell anyone that will listen.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:36 pm

FWIW, the media has a higher opinion of us than do the coaches.

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:58 pm

Eh I hope they get more and more votes as the season progresses and they are in the top 25 when they play us. Improves our strength of schedule and allows us to 'knock off' a top 25 team.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:19 pm

Though I despise Honey Boo-Boo U, any props for the SBC is fine at this point. We have the conference's big dogs at the Rock. We will be what our record says we are. As for me, I'm keeping my December calendar open.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”