Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Thursday Games

3rd
School: Appalachian State

Thursday Games

Unread post by 3rd » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:05 pm

Dear Members of the Appalachian Community:

Last year’s move to the Sun Belt Conference brought increased visibility to our university and more opportunities for our student-athletes. This year also establishes some new campus traditions. On October 22 and November 5, Appalachian will host Thursday evening football games. It is important to note that all classes will meet as scheduled on both these dates. While this does provide challenges, I extend my appreciation to the dedicated group who worked diligently to find game day solutions and keep our campus effectively operating to support our central academic mission.

All divisions were represented on this working group as well as the Town of Boone. This group was critical to providing cross-campus perspectives and developing the plan outlined below. In addition to thanking the participants who worked diligently to create the plan, I especially thank all members of the Appalachian community for their patience and understanding as we navigate these new opportunities and create new traditions together.

Best Regards,

Sheri N. Everts
Sheri N. Everts
Chancellor

Faculty and Staff Parking on Thursday Game Days:
We are excited to welcome alumni and game-day visitors to our campus. Traffic will arrive in our community and on campus prior to the end of the regular workday on these two afternoons. While faculty and staff are not in any way expected to leave campus to accommodate game-day activities, some may wish to avoid the risk of traffic congestion by leaving campus early. We ask all supervisors, when possible, to please accommodate requests to adjust work schedules or work remotely on those two afternoons.

On the dates of our two Thursday evening games, we will need to manage campus parking, both to ensure sufficient, reserved parking for faculty and staff and to accommodate game-day parking demands. These unique days provide campus with a great opportunity to embrace our university’s commitment to sustainability. To support this work, we ask that all faculty, staff and students help bring positive attention to our efforts by biking, drop-offs, carpooling and riding shuttles on these two special days. Additionally, the following locations will be reserved for faculty and staff parking:
Rivers Street Parking Deck
Rivers Street Parallel Parking
Hill Street Lot
Greenwood Lot (Upper Side; spaces 1-126)

AppalCART will run regular routes and schedules from each of these locations to Peacock Circle and the Library Circle throughout these days.

The following parking areas will be unavailable to faculty and staff:
Edwin Duncan Lot
Half of the Peacock Lot (formerly Raley Lot) on the Rivers Street side (spaces 151-302).
Schaefer Center Lot
Broyhill Music Center Lot
Garwood Hall Lot (formerly CAP Lot)
Legends Lot
Quinn Center Lot

The Library Deck and the Student Recreation Center lot will be open for faculty/staff parking on these days. In order to accommodate guests arriving on campus, only vehicles with a game day Yosef Club parking permit will be able to enter the Library Deck beginning at 3 p.m. To assist with this task, faculty/staff that remain on campus and have vehicles in Library Deck are asked to please move their vehicles to one of the other designated faculty/staff lots by 3 p.m.

Entrance into the Rivers Street Parking Deck will be open for Faculty/Staff with valid parking permit and Yosef Members with valid permits starting at 3 p.m.

To accommodate evening faculty and staff parking needs on these dates, the following locations will be reserved for faculty and staff parking beginning at 5 p.m.:
Rivers Street Parking Deck
Rivers Street Parallel Parking
Edwin Duncan Octagon
Greenwood Lot (Upper Side closest to Chancellor’s Residence) (spaces 1-126).
Half of the Peacock Lot (Rivers Street side; spaces 1-150

Please note parking and traffic attendants, in addition to other staff, will provide support in finding and navigating parking on campus these days.

Student Parking on Thursday Game Days:
In alignment with a game day green initiative, students will not park on campus for the academic day with the exception of valid parking permits for the Rivers Street Parking deck. All permit holders to this deck will be allowed to enter and park to attend class. We encourage all students to participate in AppalCART shuttles, bicycle transportation, drop-offs and carpooling options for these two days. Commuter students are encouraged to contact the Office of Parking and Traffic to seek alternative options for parking on these dates. Additional bicycle racks will be installed on campus to support alternate transportation to campus. The Athletics department, in partnership with the Office of Sustainability, will host a special student tailgate on the lower Duck Pond near the Yosef sculpture at the base of Stadium Drive for all students starting at 4 p.m. Live music and food will be provided for students to share the Mountaineer Spirit for all to see as they approach Stadium Drive. Stadium, Justice Hall and Greenwood Lots will be closed to student parking the whole day. Students living on campus and who have a weekly permit can move their cars to the State Farm or South Broyhill Lots beginning at 5 p.m. Wednesday. (The tailgate at the Duck Pond for students takes the place of the Student Government Association parking lottery.) Rivers Street Parking Passes will be honored until 4 p.m. for students.

Yosef Club Member Parking on Thursday Game Days:
Yosef Club Donors that park in Stadium, Justice, Peacock (Raley), Duncan, Broyhill Music and Greenwood lots, as well as the Rivers Street Deck, may enter their assigned lots starting at 3 p.m. Any member that arrives to their space and finds no spaces available on University Drive or in the Rivers Street or Library Parking Decks between 3-5 p.m. are asked to go to the overflow area in the Legends Lot (festival parking) to tailgate. They are welcome to remain in the festival parking area the entire day, or may relocate to their reserved spaces when they become available at 5 p.m. Members with reserved parking are also welcome to tailgate in the Old Watauga High School Lot, which will have “Park & Ride” shuttle service to the East Side drop off at the stadium. The Old Watauga High School lot will also be open to other fans and the general public for a $15 fee per car.

EastHallApp

Re: Thursday Games

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:26 pm

Oh boy... that sounds like a cluster waiting to happen.

Really should have cancelled afternoon classes IMO.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:30 pm

EastHallApp wrote:Oh boy... that sounds like a cluster waiting to happen.

Really should have cancelled afternoon classes IMO.
Pretty much sums up to.."Students you have to come to class but you can't park on campus...good luck"

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:07 pm

A crappy situation all around. The town and county want to milk every cent off the old WHS. Academia wants classes to happen. Donors want to tailgate. And the students get a heavy shaft.

The town should let students park at old WHS for free til 3pm and have shuttles every 15 min. Having classes after 3 pm is insane.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:35 pm

Oh boy... Would have liked to have seen some real encouraging of students to be at game loud and proud for national tv.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:37 pm

YesAppCan wrote:Oh boy... Would have liked to have seen some real encouraging of students to be at game loud and proud for national tv.
There is a major battle going on between athletics and academics. Many on the academic side didn't want to miss two half days, even though students miss 2 or more weeks spring semester. :roll:

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:51 pm

This is a big mistke on so many levels. Most of all it's our opportunity to present ourselves on the national stage. We should be making every effort to ensure that stadium is jam packed and we show the country via a national broadcast how great App is. Not as a football team, but as a University and community. The first indicator to me that athletics is no longer the front porch, instead it's been relegated to the back porch.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:01 pm

3rd wrote:
YesAppCan wrote:Oh boy... Would have liked to have seen some real encouraging of students to be at game loud and proud for national tv.
There is a major battle going on between athletics and academics. Many on the academic side didn't want to miss two half days, even though students miss 2 or more weeks spring semester. :roll:
It is apprent this is the case from the first sentence in her announcement. Doesn't read very "Appalachian Familyesque"

Last year’s move to the Sun Belt Conference brought increased visibility to our university and more opportunities for our student-athletes.

If anything it is nothing but divisive. The move to SunBelt wasn't to make more opportunities for student athletes. It was to take everything Appalachian up a notch and expand our reach and notoriety nationally. She could have hit a homerun by leaving out "student athlete" and saying the Appalachian Community or "Family". Instead I read "athletics wants to take your classtime and we are going to act like they don't exist.

Certainly not a way to foster Alumni and student relations that has been mentioned in the homecoming thread.

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:12 pm

Traffic and parking will be a mess for sure, but you can't cancel classes over a football game.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:20 pm

DoubleA wrote:Traffic and parking will be a mess for sure, but you can't cancel classes over a football game.
Done all the time...ECU announced a week ago classes after 3 will be canceled for the Thursday night game.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:28 pm

3rd wrote:
DoubleA wrote:Traffic and parking will be a mess for sure, but you can't cancel classes over a football game.
Done all the time...ECU announced a week ago classes after 3 will be canceled for the Thursday night game.
Also done at App in 2008 for the Friday night Halloween game... There is precedent.

tjpappy

Unread post by tjpappy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:34 pm

Do you see the “increased visibility” statement as positive or are you just saying that it was not enough?

“Back porch” because classes were not cancelled? As you know, App rarely cancels classes and generally only with the justification of safety concerns. The only regular time I am aware that classes are cancelled is the morning of Fall convocation.

As per the ECU example, it might have been different if we had only one Thursday night game - who knows...

I think this is an effort to balance competing needs and support the primary mission of the university at the same time. I could see adding a statement encouraging students and others in the university community to attend the games, but overall the language was positive regarding the move up, the games, athletics as a way to highlight the university, etc.

Will traffic/parking be crazy those days - probably!

I guess I just am not seeing or hearing this statement as negative toward athletics.

tjpappy

Unread post by tjpappy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:42 pm

AppDawg wrote:
3rd wrote:
Also done at App in 2008 for the Friday night Halloween game... There is precedent.
A lot fewer classes meet on Friday afternoon, as compared to Tuesday/Thursday.

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:49 pm

Way over reading the statement. Frankly, academics 1st and athletics 2nd, as it should be, national TV or not. If UNC had kept that concpet in mind.... they didn't.... I'm just saying... We'll find a good balance as we get further into all of this.
Last edited by WXAPP on Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @wxcrum

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:53 pm

tjpappy wrote:Do you see the “increased visibility” statement as positive or are you just saying that it was not enough?

“Back porch” because classes were not cancelled? As you know, App rarely cancels classes and generally only with the justification of safety concerns. The only regular time I am aware that classes are cancelled is the morning of Fall convocation.

As per the ECU example, it might have been different if we had only one Thursday night game - who knows...

I think this is an effort to balance competing needs and support the primary mission of the university at the same time. I could see adding a statement encouraging students and others in the university community to attend the games, but overall the language was positive regarding the move up, the games, athletics as a way to highlight the university, etc.

Will traffic/parking be crazy those days - probably!

I guess I just am not seeing or hearing this statement as negative toward athletics.
I see the increased visibility statement directed solely to our student-athletes when in reality it is increased visibility for the university as a whole. We pride ourselves on being part of the "Appalachian Family" and instead this message was very clearly directed to and for one branch of the family tree. Thus, relegating athletics to the back porch. Again, my read as stated above, was "i see you athletics, but I am not going to let that deter my everyday activities."

Agree that a statement encouraging all to attend the game would have gone a long way to help. Nonetheless, my view is its a missed opportunity to bring the Appalachian Family together.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:55 pm

AppDawg wrote:
3rd wrote:
It is apprent this is the case from the first sentence in her announcement. Doesn't read very "Appalachian Familyesque"

Last year’s move to the Sun Belt Conference brought increased visibility to our university and more opportunities for our student-athletes.

If anything it is nothing but divisive. The move to SunBelt wasn't to make more opportunities for student athletes. It was to take everything Appalachian up a notch and expand our reach and notoriety nationally. She could have hit a homerun by leaving out "student athlete" and saying the Appalachian Community or "Family". Instead I read "athletics wants to take your classtime and we are going to act like they don't exist.

Certainly not a way to foster Alumni and student relations that has been mentioned in the homecoming thread.
Talk about an over reaction. Not sure how you interpret the opening statement as divisive. One can disagree with the decision but let's not read more into it than is necessary.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:56 pm

WXAPP wrote:Way over reading into the statement. Frankly academics 1st and athletics 2nd, national TV or not. If UNC had kept this in mind.... I'm just saying...
So where do you put the students pay the University to have parking spots to go to class then University says you can't park but we give professors full power to hold you not coming to class over you? Calling class of for half an afternoon is a little different than creating a fake degree.

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:08 pm

It's the door that gets opened.... that we don't need our ASU to step through. UNC crossed a threshold one day... and it used "National athletic prominence and exposure" as part of the justification. Maybe not directly, perhaps not spoken, but I can guarantee you, it was in those brains that made those decisions.

As for the parking and the paying students, Admin needs to work with the city & county to find a way to get through these short term parking pains. Someone mentioned the old WHS.. complement that with heavy bus service. There are solutions that will evolve, it's a new frontier.. App family needs to include all parties and find out how best to handle. Not much flat land up there.
Twitter: @wxcrum

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:27 pm

Its not been that long ago that I was in school, and from what I remember there werent a ton of students that actually drove to school each day. Last spring I was on campus and Stadium Lot was less than half full at midday. I do agree students should be allowed to park at the WHS site for free.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:21 pm

WXAPP wrote:Way over reading the statement. Frankly, academics 1st and athletics 2nd, as it should be, national TV or not. If UNC had kept that concpet in mind.... they didn't.... I'm just saying... We'll find a good balance as we get further into all of this.
This.

As one who has a full-time job, I'll be lucky to get off work and make it up the mountain by 5:00 so the 3:00 time slot is a non-issue for me. I'm betting I'm not alone.

I'm also betting that there will be a few students who skip class and a few professors who think of creative ways to reschedule those two classes.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”