Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Thursday Games

3rd
School: Appalachian State

Re: Thursday Games

Unread post by 3rd » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:04 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
App1990 wrote:It's a university people.
Were I not busy and getting ready to go to school to plan some lessons I would take the time to create another account just so I could upvote you again. Well said.
Then lets do away with all sports :roll:

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:45 am

Let's not forget that the academic profile and nationwide attention Appalachian gets comes from the Michigan win. Without that win Apps academics would not be as strong as they are today.

The extroadinary increase in applications and the strength of those applications are a direct result of that day. Look at the average number of freshman applications and average test scores from before 2007 & after. Athletics have played a crucial role in the growth of this university. Whether the anti-athletics people on campus want to admit it or not.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:24 pm

One thing I can say is that all of the App students who want to attend this game will do so. App Nation is strong with students and alums. I will be there. Can't wait.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:45 pm

Interesting in reading the comments to note that the ones that are pragmatic-themed and focus on the actual, specific, real-world effects mostly favor canceling some classes, while those that focus more on symbolism and whether this decision reflects all that is right or wrong with the worlds of education and athletics today oppose canceling any classes.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:52 pm

I don't think anyone's education will be ruined over 2 missed Thursday classes in a semester. Take a step back from the ledge and look at the actual concrete effects of the decision.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:13 pm

As a sophomore I had a business law class taught by an actual business lawyer. We met late, I think 6 or 7 pm to accommodate his professional schedule. At least 3 times we all showed up to class only to discover the professor was stuck in court and it was cancelled. Yet we still found a way to work around the issue.

Yeah, there will probably be one or two hard-line professors who threaten a test during the proposed missed class time but I'm willing to bet an overwhelming majority of professors whose classes will be directly affected will be more than willing to give students a night off or find some other way to work around the games because a) they're reasonable human beings, b) they want to go to the games themselves, and c) they understand how important these games are to their students. That or their individual college deans will ask them to work-around for all the reasons many of you have already stated. I don't know about you, but in 5 years at App I never had a single professor who was so hard line that they refused to be accommodating.

I was in school for 5 years, lived off campus for 3 of them and ALWAYS found a way to class. You forget students can think for themselves. We're not talking about helpless 8 year olds. We're talking about resourceful 18-21 year olds who can walk, ride bikes, *god forbid* figure out the Appalcart system if they don't already use it, or get to campus early and hang out for the day.

We are in uncharted territory here. It simply CANNOT be one way or the other. It cannot be "hold all game day traffic at the edge of campus because classes are in session" just as it cannot be "the university is cancelling all classes for athletics". The concept of compromise means neither side gets everything they want, but both sides get some of what they want, and I'm confident the plan the administration has developed will work as best as it can.

Students, alums, and fans will be there in force. Kidd Brewer will be rowdy. I will be there!
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:12 pm

QueencityApp wrote:I know this is our first go round with a Thursday Night game but i feel certain our administration reached out to other institutions to see how they handled Thursday night games in the past.

How did GaSou do it last year, what about ECU? Hell Clemson has been on Thursday night prime time plenty of times and they deal with 3x the volume we are debating about.

I'm sure they're will be a few bumps this first time but we are going to have to deal with mid week games in the future so getting a solid plan worked out over time will be necessary.
Clemson, VaTech and ECU all cancel classes the afternoon of a Thursday night game. Though adminsitrators/Faculty/Staff don't like it, it's a common practice. Also of note, each of these schools have an on-campus stadium - like us. If we were like NCSU or even Georgia Southern not cancelling classes would be a more reasonable call logistically.

VaTech: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04529.html

Clemson: http://www.postandcourier.com/apps/pbcs ... n-11-years

ECU (3 and after): http://www.reflector.com/news/thursday- ... es-2689319

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:24 pm

Found Georiga Southern's President say when their 2014 schedule was announced in April 2014, classes on Thursdays would be canceled but left to the professors if they wanted to make it up on Sat or Sun.

http://www.gseagles.com/news/2015/4/14/ ... 55001.aspx

"Another surprise from the Keel camp is that he plans to cancel class for Thurs day night home games in the future.

"I've given a lot of thought to this, and I do plan to cancel class Thursday, but we're going to have class on Saturday and Sunday to make up for it," said Keel."

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:28 pm

After 4 pages of analysis, I declare Ms. Everts needs to adjust her plan and do the right thing. No classes after 3pm and tell the late day professors to adjust, or maybe for the next few years they can request earlier classes ;) .

This the actually a very dumb discussion.
I feel sorry for the few that don't understand...... ( I'll leave it there and not insult anyone) lol

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:02 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:After 4 pages of analysis, I declare Ms. Everts needs to adjust her plan and do the right thing. No classes after 3pm and tell the late day professors to adjust, or maybe for the next few years they can request earlier classes ;) .

This the actually a very dumb discussion.
I feel sorry for the few that don't understand...... ( I'll leave it there and not insult anyone) lol
Exactly why I've not said a word. If anyone actually thinks Dr. Everts is driving the bus on this then they weren't paying attention when DG went to the Faculty Senate. They've held their ground since that day and this compromise was done by a committee. Sure she could have overridden their decision but we've all seen how well that usually works out, all the way from Boone to DC. Are there things I don't like? Of course there are. Are there going to be some problems? Yes. Will we learn from them and adjust? Hopefully. But there are no perfect solutions and no way to make everyone happy. It just doesn't happen. There are much bigger things coming down the pipe in the next couple of years (several involving athletics) and sometimes you have to pick your battles. Things will work themselves out.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:51 am

To go along with what Moose said, Peacock was very popular among the students and alums but he was constantly at war with the faculty. Part of the reason Dr Everts was put in charge was because of her administration background to be a leveling influence. And Doug Gillin has only been on the job for a few months. Alienating the faculty (and the town) over parking at this time and place would not be a good hill to die on.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:24 am

Thanks Moose!!! --- you had made me aware of the facts on this some time ago and I knew you didn't want to enter the fray but glad you finally did!!! The facts do matter... :shock:
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

App74

Unread post by App74 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:45 am

Political correctness is alive and thriving on the MMB. And as a parent paying tuition, I will say the right thing to do is cancel classes. However, this is the New America where everyone must conform to political correctness albeit dysfunctional and non-achieving. Sorry to fill some diapers here but being politically correct versus doing what is right for the many seldom, if ever, coincide.

I consider the letter from Chancellor Everts to be expertly written. Even the most stringent of the PC police would grade it with an "A". Here, however, is the key statement to the entire letter:

"While faculty and staff are not in any way expected to leave campus to accommodate game-day activities, some may wish to avoid the risk of traffic congestion by leaving campus early."

Well written and acceptably politically correct. Here is the way I read it:

The University is bigger than you. Get your head out of your *** and begin planning, coordinating and executing with your students/staff a strategy to get everybody off campus so we can showcase Appalachian to the nation.

I realize, however, that there are faculty whose egos are, in fact, bigger than the University and I have compassion for those students under their thumbs. By in large, I expect the vast majority of faculty/staff to make the necessary arrangements to clear the campus because it is the right thing to do for Appalachian as a whole.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:07 am

I hope I am wrong, but I foresee a situation FUBAR with people trying to get to parking spaces and people trying to vacate parking spaces and the gridlock that will ensue. Sadly, those who caused this will not learn from it because they don't want to.

I also hope someone will be watching for other cancellations during the semester, for whatever reason, so that we may all be indignant over those as well.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:34 am

the statement by the Chancellor that classes will not be cancelled is just a political correctness statement, she knows the reality that if a kid wants to cut classes to party before the game, they will, and since its a night game, even if a kid goes to classes, chances are he will be done by 2 or 3 at the latest, giving them plenty of time to get ready for the game. As far as parking, ya, its going to be a mess, trying to get employees and students off the campus, while tailgaters come in, but hey, welcome to the FBS, other schools have been dealing with this for years, its just our turn.

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:55 am

I bet the majority of professors will cancel their afternoon classes anyway. Just like the day before a school holiday/break, professors know that kids will try to leave early so they cancel class.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:30 am

moehler wrote:As far as parking, ya, its going to be a mess, trying to get employees and students off the campus, while tailgaters come in, but hey, welcome to the FBS, other schools have been dealing with this for years, its just our turn.
But.......those schools cancelled their classes.

I just hope the Jamie Prices of the school are the ones dealing with the most traffic. They'll undoubtedly blame the evil sportsballgame, but we all know it's their fault, and Everts' fault for yielding to them.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:37 am

WVAPPeer wrote:Thanks Moose!!! --- you had made me aware of the facts on this some time ago and I knew you didn't want to enter the fray but glad you finally did!!! The facts do matter... :shock:
let me amend this - the purpose of Moose's post and mine thanking him was only to point out that this decision was not made by the Chancellor is a vacuum - there was a group, committee, whatever, who passed their recommendation onto her. As Moose mentioned, there will be bigger battles to fight down the road. Why give a "committee" the responsibility of formulating a plan and then overrule them? ---

I want to make it clear that my post on the subject in response to Moose's original post, that he nor I am saying what is right or wrong about this policy, not whether it is politically correct or not, only that this decision was not made by the Chancellor individually.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:35 am

I agree with everyone on here. 2 classes are very easy to make up. Also have to remember, entry to the sporting events has been paid by the students (probably parents) as part of their tuition. Still, classroom first and sports second, but I don't think any professor will have a problem with the 2 classes. Most classes are full of discussion anyway, so cut back on some of the discussion in class and learn a little more for several classes before and after those Thursday night games.

Just my $.02

Go Apps!!!!!
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:49 am

Is it September yet!?!?!?! I'm ready to talk X's and O's! I'm also glad to be part of a family so passionate about both the university.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”