Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

APP Wish List - Please send to Doug Gillin

dubs21
School: Appalachian State

Re: APP Wish List - Please send to Doug Gillin

Unread post by dubs21 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:19 am

Wally wrote:Reviving this thread for one reason... very nice job by whoever is in charge of the sound system... the new speakers sounded really good and I don't think I heard any distortion last night.

Interesting. I thought it still sounded terrible. Especially pre game. Tons of distortion. Then during the game, it sounded like what i've heard at some high school stadiums. Too much treble or something. Hard to describe. The PA guy also had a hot mic that you could hear at random times, that was pretty terrible.

System needs an upgrade in my mind.

Wally

Unread post by Wally » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:04 am

dubs21 wrote:
Wally wrote:Reviving this thread for one reason... very nice job by whoever is in charge of the sound system... the new speakers sounded really good and I don't think I heard any distortion last night.

Interesting. I thought it still sounded terrible. Especially pre game. Tons of distortion. Then during the game, it sounded like what i've heard at some high school stadiums. Too much treble or something. Hard to describe. The PA guy also had a hot mic that you could hear at random times, that was pretty terrible.

If you could go back to the first 2 games and compare that sound to last night, it was 100x better last night. The sound had power and it didn't crack with every bass note. It's not perfect but man it was much improved. Oh, the hot mic was pretty bad, and they probably shouldn't play the music once our offense is set at the line of scrimmage. LOL!

tjpappy

Unread post by tjpappy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:08 am

dubs21 wrote:

Got to agree that the sound system did not sound good to my ears or to fans around me in Section 206. Maybe that had to do with proximity to the speakers. It was loud, but very shrill - especially the live audio - when the announcer spoke. Just ended up covering my ears to dampen that effect- could still hear and it was easier to listen to. And yes, his mic was hot for a time when he did not realize it, but that got corrected a little later on. Took longer than I would have thought to fix that, though. Maybe the people who could have notified the crew that was happening were also in a booth and did not hear what we heard??
Last edited by tjpappy on Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

dubs21

Unread post by dubs21 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:09 am

Yeah, I wasn't at Wyoming game so can't comment on how it sounded then and don't recall exactly how it sounded for Howard, just remember it being bad. It probably is improved. We will have a better system in due time, I'm not worried about that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:26 pm

So, I re-watched some of our game from Thursday. Whenever we do work on the "away" side, we need to add a couple new press boxes. I think if we could set up cameras there, the crowd noise would come in louder and would allow us to showcase the athletics center.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:53 pm

Dear Mr. Gillin,

The Miami Hurricaines are looking for a 4th game for 2016. Based on prior and future schedules they play 2 home and 2 away OOC. They already have their 2 home games inked up and have a history of playing at G5's (toledo, rutgers, cincy, fiu). The weekend of Sept. 17th is currently open for them, per fbschedules.com. Please buy out NCCU and lock-in the Hurricanes for pur 1st P5 home game. Let's welcome them to THE ROCK and tee our schedule up to make some noise nationally in '16!!!

Sincerely,
AppDawg
Last edited by AppDawg on Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:26 am

Take out the track, expand the endzones, expand the student section, blacken the endzones, invert the "A" so that the wide shots are always showing a full crowd, and viola!

APPdiesel

Re: RE: Re: APP Wish List - Please send to Doug Gillin

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:42 am

hotrod2001 wrote:Take out the track, expand the endzones, expand the student section, blacken the endzones, invert the "A" so that the wide shots are always showing a full crowd, and viola!

[img]http://orig02.deviantart.net/ede3/f/2015/297/f/6/kbs_by_hotrod2001-d9eab7i.jpg[/img]
Thanks hotrod for rendering this. I've always wanted to but don't have the time or the photoshop skills (you want me to create a badass piece of audio and I got you). Love this. I hope one day (obviously WELL into the future) we demolish Owens and rework the entire face of Kidd Brewer. Maybe link the bottom corners of the west side and the end zone seating with a covered tunnel leading to a visitors locker room. Paint the cover black and put a giant block A on it.

twitter.com/DieselOnRadio
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:39 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:Take out the track, expand the endzones, expand the student section, blacken the endzones, invert the "A" so that the wide shots are always showing a full crowd, and viola!

[img]http://orig02.deviantart.net/ede3/f/2015/297/f/6/kbs_by_hotrod2001-d9eab7i.jpg[/img]
Thanks hotrod for rendering this. I've always wanted to but don't have the time or the photoshop skills (you want me to create a badass piece of audio and I got you). Love this. I hope one day (obviously WELL into the future) we demolish Owens and rework the entire face of Kidd Brewer. Maybe link the bottom corners of the west side and the end zone seating with a covered tunnel leading to a visitors locker room. Paint the cover black and put a giant block A on it.

Awh shucks, I'm glad my design skills still come in handy. Honestly, I can't see the stadium expanding outwards anytime soon. At it's peak it'll probably end up like BB&T Field at Wake or Dowdy at ECU, but that's after years of success and hopefully a move up to a better conference (Which probably will only happen if the Big XII decide they need 2 more members, and rob from the AAC or C-USA causing a chain reaction, or UAB gets dropped from C-USA)

Either way, I think this is a modest, reasonable look to go for...at least get the track out of there, the only reason they probably haven't done so is that they don't have anywhere else in the area to stick a quarter mile flat oval.

APPdiesel

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: APP Wish List - Please send to Doug Gillin

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:06 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

Awh shucks, I'm glad my design skills still come in handy. Honestly, I can't see the stadium expanding outwards anytime soon. At it's peak it'll probably end up like BB&T Field at Wake or Dowdy at ECU, but that's after years of success and hopefully a move up to a better conference (Which probably will only happen if the Big XII decide they need 2 more members, and rob from the AAC or C-USA causing a chain reaction, or UAB gets dropped from C-USA)

Either way, I think this is a modest, reasonable look to go for...at least get the track out of there, the only reason they probably haven't done so is that they don't have anywhere else in the area to stick a quarter mile flat oval.
I think those of us who are logical understand this type of expansion is years away (if ever), and would only come after years of sustained 9 win seasons. I'm just estimating but this would probably put us in the 32-35,000 official capacity range, but hey we can still dream. And it would look really great this way.

I'm not familiar with App's new soccer stadium, but if we played soccer at KBS for years, why would the current soccer stadium not be suitable for a track? I've never been there so maybe terrain is an issue?

dlh71

Unread post by dlh71 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:11 pm

Someone please get hotrods idea on Doug G desk Monday AM. Very good look for the short term!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:30 pm

dlh71 wrote:Someone please get hotrods idea on Doug G desk Monday AM. Very good look for the short term!
That would be a good look for the long term. I was listening to ESPN radio all last Thursday and on one of the shows they brought up the plans submitted for the Owens end zone and the idea of expansion as well as the track. He was pretty non commital on the track other than saying he really likes what Duke did to their stadium this off season. He pretty much said he was red to upgrade Owens at the least. He did say that butts in seats would determine the outcome for expansion and that the first 2 games weren't necessarily great indicators that we need to expand and that he was anxious to see Thursdays crowd. I would imagine he was pleased with the Thursday crowd.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:46 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

I think those of us who are logical understand this type of expansion is years away (if ever), and would only come after years of sustained 9 win seasons. I'm just estimating but this would probably put us in the 32-35,000 official capacity range, but hey we can still dream. And it would look really great this way.

I'm not familiar with App's new soccer stadium, but if we played soccer at KBS for years, why would the current soccer stadium not be suitable for a track? I've never been there so maybe terrain is an issue?

I drove out there last year. There are a few fields the community uses and I don't see their being room. We need the WHS area
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:32 pm

I tweeted hotrod's photo to DG saying "I found your new screen saver". But he's right. Expansion should be a product of demand. Again, those of us who are logical understand that there likely IS a plan in place, but these are things the general public are not privy to. We're all clamoring for info but they just can't divulge that info to us.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:00 pm

APPdiesel wrote:I tweeted hotrod's photo to DG saying "I found your new screen saver". But he's right. Expansion should be a product of demand. Again, those of us who are logical understand that there likely IS a plan in place, but these are things the general public are not privy to. We're all clamoring for info but they just can't divulge that info to us.

Definitely at least a plan, you can see as much in the budget submitted a couple years back. Someone's posted it here before I forgot who, probably moose. I believe that's the plan where they add dorms to the stadium basically and bowl in the Owens endzone. He said there were options on how the track would be handled but didn't dive any deeper.

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:09 pm

Hotrod, that was a thing of beauty!! Would love something like that. Only thing I would change is block letter Appalachian or App State in the endzone instead of Appalachian State.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Only thing I change is... Bring in hill closer to end zone then build food pavilion behind stands with kids play "field".

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:13 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

I drove out there last year. There are a few fields the community uses and I don't see their being room. We need the WHS area
I don't know, you would think that they would have factored that into the plans. Looking on Google Maps though, the old Watauga High School track and stadium is still there along with a baseball field and ample parking. Invest a few million into the facility and you could have a nice Soccer/Field Hockey/Lacrosse/Club Football complex just a short distance from campus.

Apparently the university and Watauga County officials have been discussing using the site for Thursday night game parking so interest in the site is already there.
Last edited by hotrod2001 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:29 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:I tweeted hotrod's photo to DG saying "I found your new screen saver". But he's right. Expansion should be a product of demand. Again, those of us who are logical understand that there likely IS a plan in place, but these are things the general public are not privy to. We're all clamoring for info but they just can't divulge that info to us.

Definitely at least a plan, you can see as much in the budget submitted a couple years back. Someone's posted it here before I forgot who, probably moose. I believe that's the plan where they add dorms to the stadium basically and bowl in the Owens endzone. He said there were options on how the track would be handled but didn't dive any deeper.
This was the rendering they were touting a few years ago. I haven't heard anything else about it since Cobb went down to GSU. It looks a little too ambitious for our needs right now. Personally I think my idea of taking out the track and expanding the seats towards the field rather than adding more nosebleeds to the away side like this idea suggests would be a better move and would create a more intimate atmosphere between the fans and the players.

Either way the track needs to go...especially if you plan to install permanent endzone seating which renders it useless. It looked bad at Ohio State, looked bad at Kansas, and looked bad at Duke, even though I think Wallace Wade's track was still usable...even then everyone in the ACC referred to WWC as the armpit of the conference prior to its upgrades.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:37 pm

hotrod2001 wrote: This was the rendering they were touting a few years ago. I haven't heard anything else about it since Cobb went down to GSU. It looks a little too ambitious for our needs right now. Personally I think my idea of taking out the track and expanding the seats towards the field rather than adding more nosebleeds to the away side like this idea suggests would be a better move and would create a more intimate atmosphere between the fans and the players.

[img]http://www.appstatesports.com/downloads2/452780.jpg?DB_OEM_ID=21500[/img]
Plus those dorms are atrocious. We've got one of the most beautiful views in football, why ruin it with a brick wall?

One thing that stood out to me when listening to a Notre Dame president interview was they have always had athletes live with general population students. Not just athletes living with athletes. They feel it's crucial to assimilating athletes into the student experience not just the athletic experience.

Last edited by APPdiesel on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”