Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Yosef Update

TheMackAttack
School: Appalachian State

Re: Yosef Update

Unread post by TheMackAttack » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:51 pm

I hope that cutting sports is way down on the list of options for us. I think giving to your alma mater is a lot like voting. It's proven that if you get people to vote early in their lives it's a habit they'll continue to do for a lifetime. We've seen the size of the student body increase by ~33% in the last 15 years. Get those young people in the habit of giving, even if it's just a little bit, and they'll continue to do so. As they advance in their field, their giving will increase.

dlh71

Unread post by dlh71 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:12 pm

Another option to lower costs for our teams would be to look at travel. With the real possibility of C-USA loosing half of their tv revenue this year, it is the time to explore conference realignment between the Sun Belt and C-USA into more geographic leagues. This could decrease cost without having to eliminate teams.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:46 pm

With all the talk about dropping several sports, the biggest reason that keeps coming up is travel. While it is more than it was in the SoCon, I would like to see the cost of travel vs. the cost of scholarships, coaching salaries/benefits, housing, food, and now stipends. My guess is the travel is just a small piece of the pie.

dlh71

Unread post by dlh71 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:33 am

The fact is we are still not funding a full limit of scholarships for most sports now. Some sports may elect to use coa money for additional scholarships, so travel cost is the one area that could help .

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:59 am

dlh71 wrote:The fact is we are still not funding a full limit of scholarships for most sports now. Some sports may elect to use coa money for additional scholarships, so travel cost is the one area that could help .
I think this was directed at me. I agree that any reduction in travel cost helps. I will also preface, I am not in favor of cutting sports. However, as an Accountant the devil is in the numbers. , Sometimes tough decisions have to be made.

The known facts are we are currently in a $2 million deficit in funding scholarships through Yosef. Thats approximately 60% funded. While reducing travel costs eats into that deficit, I have to wonder if that is not using a chisel to "fix" the problem or if something heavier is needed?

Of course the easiest fix is for Yosef to grow the base, raise $5 million annually with any amount in excess of the annual amount needed for scholarships to start funding an endowment (coach salaries, future scholarships, etc).

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:03 am

We need one of you losers to find some success like Ok St and Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:06 am

I look forward to attending Heffner Stadium soon!

dlh71

Unread post by dlh71 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:50 am

Heff; I hope you will give a more in depth explaination of that post. My point is with the cost issue, it could give those in charge a reason to pursue something that could benefit App in the long run. That being a more regional conference that could include closer rivals. Our AD did make a reference to this line of thought at a meeting that I was involved in this past weekend.

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:59 am

dlh71 wrote:Heff; I hope you will give a more in depth explaination of that post. My point is with the cost issue, it could give those in charge a reason to pursue something that could benefit App in the long run. That being a more regional conference that could include closer rivals. Our AD did make a reference to this line of thought at a meeting that I was involved in this past weekend.
A more regional conference makes a lot of sense. I also hope we move in that direction.

In the meantime, let's all do what we can to support where we are today. Prices are up, but even if I have to take lesser seats to attend the games, I will. The future looks good and I want to be a part of it.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:10 am

dlh71 wrote:Heff; I hope you will give a more in depth explaination of that post. My point is with the cost issue, it could give those in charge a reason to pursue something that could benefit App in the long run. That being a more regional conference that could include closer rivals. Our AD did make a reference to this line of thought at a meeting that I was involved in this past weekend.
I, sarcastically, meant that it'd be nice to have a T. Boone Pickens or Phil Knight among our supporters.

I don't really hope for this. I don't want one donor with that much influence, i.e. Capel hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlh71

Unread post by dlh71 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:35 pm

Thanks, I can be of a sarcastic lot myself at times.

appgrunt71

Unread post by appgrunt71 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:47 pm

As a long time Yosef Club member, I fully support the complete complement of App's athletic programs. My opinion is to aggressively promote the Yosef Club, not to cut programs. App State offers a full array of athletic programs to both men and women. The diversity in athletics is what is expected from a top notch university like App State. Our goal should always be to continue to build. Get stronger. Offer great opportunities to both male and female athletes. Go App!!!

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:25 pm

appgrunt71 wrote:As a long time Yosef Club member, I fully support the complete complement of App's athletic programs. My opinion is to aggressively promote the Yosef Club, not to cut programs. App State offers a full array of athletic programs to both men and women. The diversity in athletics is what is expected from a top notch university like App State. Our goal should always be to continue to build. Get stronger. Offer great opportunities to both male and female athletes. Go App!!!
I agree wholeheartedly. One of the reasons I've gone on and on for years about $10 - $100 donations, is that a broad base makes a larger overall structure possible.

That said, I'd like to clear up what it is that I (and others) do on the Yosef Advisory Board. Since I originally posted the Yosef update, I've had PM's, calls, texts, and emails instructing me on the path I should cause Yosef to take. I've served on the Yosef board for years ... the key word is "serve". As a server, I have no authority or right to cause any viewpoint or path to be followed. I listen; I try to help raise money for Yosef; I listen some more; I try to keep folks informed about the positive aspects of Appalachian student-athletes. I can no more change the course of Yosef than a cheerleader can change the outcome of a football game. All I can do is support.

To those of you who thought I had some input or sway on the mountain, I apologize. To those of you with superbly wonderful ideas about which direction Yosef should go, I encourage you to write down your ideas and mail them to Doug Gillin and / or Brian Tracy - that's where decisions happen.

Thanks so much. Go Apps!
Last edited by DaphneUrquhart on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:25 pm

While harsh economic realities may eventually force ASU to cut programs, I hope we can continue to field as many teams as possible. We need to look beyond mere dollars and cents, or team P&L, since most all teams lose money and depend on student activity fees to fund. I would dare say that has even been the case for FB over the years. The real value in our sports programs is when these young men and women graduate with an ASU degree and go out into the world to represent our school as alums. Sports programs serve as something like a leadership institute, and to the extent we can field successful teams on and off the field, and develop future leaders, the ASU brand is promoted and enhanced by having these fine young folks represent us. The beauty of it is, most of these "kids" are true student-athletes, in every sense of the word.

WVAppsfan

Unread post by WVAppsfan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:03 am

I contacted the Yosef Club today and pledged $100.00 more than last year. I was pleased that we have an option to set the payments for a monthly draft and a four month flex payment plan for the season seats as well.

I have donated to other schools in addition to App and this is the smoothest transition I have experienced.
"Always give your all"

luvyosef

Unread post by luvyosef » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:04 am

Just paid for 2016 Yosef Club and football season tix online. Go Apps!
Appalachian State University (Excellence since 1899)

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:56 pm

I knew my three friends who I go to games with were not Yosef members last year and had not been so for a long time. This year I asked each of them to re=join. They all said they used to belong but just fell out and never thought about it. They all were happy to rejoin, they just needed a nudge.

Think about your friends who should be in Yosef. Give them a call and ask them to sign up!! I bet most will happily say yes and appreciate you reminding them.

appfan83

Unread post by appfan83 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:57 pm

Well folks I stepped up to the plate, got a soft curve ball that crossed at middle of the plate and sent a soft shot over the 2nd base mans head. It is now official, I'm a reformed alluma. it is on the basement floor but it is a start. I did not purchased any season tickets but maybe I will come up to catch a game or two, God willing and the creek does not rise.

roachgone

Unread post by roachgone » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:09 pm

WOW how times have changed. As a long time Yosef donor I suggested several years ago that anybody could afford $8.33 a month for a $100 annual donation. I got castigated for even suggesting such a thing. And I heard more sob stories about how people just could not afford this money. You would have thought I was suggesting $1000 a year. Anyway glad times have changed some. I still say ANYBODY can afford $2.00 a week to support ASU if they want to. We do need to broaden the base significantly and quit beating up current donors to do more. However, I agree 100% with the changes to levels and season tix. ASU is still a major bargain compared to other schools and considering the product our coaches and players produce.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:07 pm

Providing options for people to spread their donation over several months is definitely a great incentive to add new members to Yosef and for people to give more than they could in a lump sum. I use it myself. But I do not pretend, and would never assume, to know what the financial situations of other people might be. If you can give anything, call and they will work with you. If you cannot, then think about doing it when you can.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”