Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Great Read and Publicity

Goapps15
School: Appalachian State

Great Read and Publicity

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:50 pm

This is a really cool read. Really nice talk of our OL. They were a huge key to our success the past 19 games.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/colleg ... gn=college

Rekdiver

Re: Great Read and Publicity

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:23 pm

Very nice!!!!

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:44 pm

Great seeing us mentioned in that group! Let's hope losing our OL coach doesn't hurt us too much.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:17 pm

I hope we don't miss Jesse Chapman as much as I think we might.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:29 pm

Yes it is really good to see this recognition from a third party source. We would not have gotten this if we were still an FCS team. And it is about time that Colby Gossett gets some recognition. If he doesn't get hurt he is an NFL-caliber player. Coaches and the media have yet to recognize his contributions.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:17 pm

I am hoping the loss of Ledford doesn't hurt either.

I noticed on our roster we have something like 9 freshman (this was my key adjective and I ommited it in original post) OL players. I hope some can start stepping up quickly to give us some rotation depth throughout the season and keep the pressure on opponents for 4 qtrs
Last edited by AtlAppMan on Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:07 am

AtlAppMan wrote:I am hoping the loss of Ledford doesn't hurt either.

I noticed on our roster we have something like 9 OL players. I hope some can start stepping up quickly to give us some rotation depth throughout the season and keep the pressure on opponents for 4 qtrs
We actually have 13 scholarship OL and 3 walk-on OL.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:26 am

I think he is referring to the nine non-freshman scholarship players. We are going to need one of the true freshman to step up this fall I bet.
Collins
Collmar
Edge
Gossett
Greer
Johnson
Malone
Nunn
Taylor

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:33 am

Question (paging Moose): In looking at the updated roster, I notice Vic Johnson is still listed as a freshman. Any chance this is an oversight, or were we able to get a redshirt for him?

Wally

Unread post by Wally » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:38 am

DaphneUrquhart wrote:I hope we don't miss Jesse Chapman as much as I think we might.
Yep, this is the piece that has had me most anxious simply because we looked so out of sync when Chapman went down against Arkansas State. Edge-Campbell has a little pressure but if he's solid and if Beau Nunn is healthy our OL will be awesome!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:13 pm

EastHallApp wrote:Question (paging Moose): In looking at the updated roster, I notice Vic Johnson is still listed as a freshman. Any chance this is an oversight, or were we able to get a redshirt for him?
I saw that too and am checking into it. Everyone I talked to, fans/media, remembered being told that he was going to be in the rotation as a Fr and, especially after Nunn was injured, that Vic was going to see time. And pretty much everyone said they remembered seeing him in the rotation several times. But after I saw that I looked at the season stats page and he only shows as playing in the first game. I guess a lot of people need to see the eye doc but I'll get confirmation and let you know.

On topic for this thread-We've seen some good increases in our incoming group of Fr OL's, both in weight for a couple and in strength for all four. They really put in the work since signing day and followed the plans laid out by Mike. I expect that a couple could possibly see time if they can pickup the blocking schemes. And another note. Given the number change and large increase in weight I expect Josh Filbey to either be listed a DL/OL similar to Collmar, or DL only at the next update.

Off topic but roster related. In the update I posted incoming freshman A'Darius Purifoy is listed as a DB. He was shown as a WR when first listed. Given his skills on both sides of the ball he was one of the funnier stories from last year as word was the O and D staffs would constantly switch him to their side of the big board when no one was looking. At the end it was said he would be a WR. After I saw the change I checked and was told it was a misprint (for now) and the plan was still for WR. But I think it's more "which side needs him most" come camp that will decide where he plays.

And one more thing. We'll know soon on the medical red shirts for players like Sims, Capel, Pinckney, Easter, etc. I don't think we'll have any issues getting them if applied for (Capel being the one most up in the air simply due to the unusual situation he was in with Charlotte) but there is also the matter of if the players themselves want one. Don't think that's an issue with the younger guys but guys like Sims and Capel may be planning to graduate and move on. Just a wait and see but for now all are listed as if they are not getting the shirt.

Lastly, I think we'll see a couple more deletions and/or additions to the roster before camp. I'll post any updates on all of these things in the Roster Update thread.

Now back to the discussion that this thread was created for. ;)

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:26 pm

AtlAppMan wrote: I noticed on our roster we have something like 9 freshman (this was my key adjective and I ommited it in original post) OL players. I hope some can start stepping up quickly to give us some rotation depth throughout the season and keep the pressure on opponents for 4 qtrs

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:56 am

firemoose wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:Question (paging Moose): In looking at the updated roster, I notice Vic Johnson is still listed as a freshman. Any chance this is an oversight, or were we able to get a redshirt for him?
I saw that too and am checking into it. Everyone I talked to, fans/media, remembered being told that he was going to be in the rotation as a Fr and, especially after Nunn was injured, that Vic was going to see time. And pretty much everyone said they remembered seeing him in the rotation several times. But after I saw that I looked at the season stats page and he only shows as playing in the first game. I guess a lot of people need to see the eye doc but I'll get confirmation and let you know.

On topic for this thread-We've seen some good increases in our incoming group of Fr OL's, both in weight for a couple and in strength for all four. They really put in the work since signing day and followed the plans laid out by Mike. I expect that a couple could possibly see time if they can pickup the blocking schemes. And another note. Given the number change and large increase in weight I expect Josh Filbey to either be listed a DL/OL similar to Collmar, or DL only at the next update.

Off topic but roster related. In the update I posted incoming freshman A'Darius Purifoy is listed as a DB. He was shown as a WR when first listed. Given his skills on both sides of the ball he was one of the funnier stories from last year as word was the O and D staffs would constantly switch him to their side of the big board when no one was looking. At the end it was said he would be a WR. After I saw the change I checked and was told it was a misprint (for now) and the plan was still for WR. But I think it's more "which side needs him most" come camp that will decide where he plays.

And one more thing. We'll know soon on the medical red shirts for players like Sims, Capel, Pinckney, Easter, etc. I don't think we'll have any issues getting them if applied for (Capel being the one most up in the air simply due to the unusual situation he was in with Charlotte) but there is also the matter of if the players themselves want one. Don't think that's an issue with the younger guys but guys like Sims and Capel may be planning to graduate and move on. Just a wait and see but for now all are listed as if they are not getting the shirt.

Lastly, I think we'll see a couple more deletions and/or additions to the roster before camp. I'll post any updates on all of these things in the Roster Update thread.

Now back to the discussion that this thread was created for. ;)
I had the same thought when I saw the new weight listed for Filbey. Levi Annas at 6-2 300 would be another guy that might consider moving over. He may be more of a project, but both have ideal size for NT and we need all the bodies we can get working at nose right now. If either one pans out that's a win.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”