Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wofford loss is on Satterfield

ASU2012
School: Appalachian State

Wofford loss is on Satterfield

Unread post by ASU2012 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Ive been a long time lurker on ASU message boards but I can no longer hold my tongue after yesterdays performance.

What has happened to the SS that we used to know and love? The play calling yesterday (and quite frankly, all year outside of a few games) was absolutely atrocious and dumb. We drive all the way down the field, down 10 points, 6:00 left on the clock, AND WE RUN 3 STRAIGHT PLAYS IN THE RED ZONE. Was SS points shaving? That's all I can think of, nothing makes sense to me. And when did ASU become a team that takes ZERO shots down field. Did we look further than 15 yards one time last night? If so, I cant remember it happening.

I know SS is the coach in waiting, and I know he won us a lot of championships, but this season, we are losing games because of our OC, not winning them like in years past. He looks very similar to Chud down in Charlotte with the Panthers right now, incredibly predictable.

All that being said, GO APPS, beat GSU. I hope SS turns it around ASAP.

Snwbrdro

Re: Wofford loss is on Satterfield

Unread post by Snwbrdro » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:59 pm

I agree halfway with you. The zone reads on that drive were dumb, have to go to the end zone and try to score. But they don't count on missing that field goal either and that is not on anyone but the kicker. He can't control the slew of dropped passes. That is solely on the youth of our WRs . Having said that, we are way to inconsistent in play calling week in and week out. Western we will throw for 400 yds, run a reverse, and pass on 1st down!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:03 pm

I disagree. There is definitely plenty of blame to go around but when you give up 38 pts you are very likely not going to win. There were many reasons for loss and to hang it on SS alone is not right.

Snwbrdro

Unread post by Snwbrdro » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:06 pm

It has been a lot better than the past 3 years. Still feel like we hold back instead of trying to turn it on from start to finish. Come out blazing and not look back!

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:37 pm

After watching that offensive line perform yesterday, I lay a lot of blame on everyone that was on the coaching staff from 2008 thru 2011. We have several O-line players that simply don't move their feet very well and don't look very athletic. Heck, we only have seven players on the two deep for the O-line, so Ledford does not have many options. We just seem very, very thin there and i think that limits us a lot. Seems the prior staff made a desicion to get bigger up front at the expense of athletic ability and mobility, I would assume thinking we needed that size to compete in FBS. We all know the reputation of our last O-line coach had and I think we lost out on a lot of kids because he was left in place by JM longer than he should have been.

For me, give me the Mario Acitelli and Scott Suttle, Brett Irvin type guys that are mobile and play thru the whistle. Perfect type players for what we want to do on offense.

From what I've heard, Ledford is a good coach and I think he'll get them better by next year.

Satterfield can call for all the deep routes in the world, but as long as our tackles keep getting beat on the edge, like what happened yesterday, we are going to have to make due with the short/intermediate passing game.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Asu2012.... lay down the crack pipe.... damn we need a thumbs down button around here

App90

Unread post by App90 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:46 am

On alot of those drives the 10-12 yard pass was open, and the pass was either dropped or thrown high...It comes down to execution you dont do it and you will not win, Im pretty sure everyone in ASU's football locker room knows the fans are hurting right now, plus ASU's OL is really banged up...Was I upset about the performance yes, but Im focusing more on the defense. When you let a very slow untalented QB from WC run around at will all over the place and dont blast him like GSU did last week with thier safties this is what happens. I just really dont understand why we only had one guy up on the QB and pitch man at times when WC hit the LOS.... Once the QB hits the LOS the safties come up in run support, and alot of the time Ross was the only one up thier, man where is Legree at, oh yea in the NFL. Whole thing was very dis-heartening to watch.... :( . ASU really had a chance at this one...

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:21 am

Wofford's defense had pressure on JJ ALL day. Anyone could see that they forced us into horizontal offense instead of vertical.

It's really that simple.

For what it's worth, they did the same thing to GSU, but Wofford was unable to score against GSU.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:17 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:Wofford's defense had pressure on JJ ALL day. Anyone could see that they forced us into horizontal offense instead of vertical.

It's really that simple.

For what it's worth, they did the same thing to GSU, but Wofford was unable to score against GSU.
and Wofford kept their safety back deep at about 20 yards - as Steve Brown explained it - they were in a cover 2 shell with the deep safety and were saying you will not get behind us as we will keep everything in front - and they performed it well ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:11 am

Football is a team sport. Games are won or lost as a team ... period.

There is only one way to win football - score more points than the opposing team. That means the defense has to hold their offense to as few scores as possible and the offense has to score on their defense. Sounds simple enough.

Jamal Jackson clearly did not have his best game ever Saturday. Was that because his timing was off on his passing? His receivers were having trouble catching the ball? The O-line wasn't offering enough protection? He wasn't seeing the open receivers? The receivers were running the incorrect routes for the play that had been called? Wofford's D-line was too fast? The right plays weren't being called? Who knows?

Calling football plays has got to be a little bit like those algebra problems that have multiple variables to be solved. The only difference is that in algebra there is one right answer. Would that football were that easy.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:16 am

DaphneUrquhart wrote:Football is a team sport. Games are won or lost as a team ... period.

There is only one way to win football - score more points than the opposing team. That means the defense has to hold their offense to as few scores as possible and the offense has to score on their defense. Sounds simple enough.

Jamal Jackson clearly did not have his best game ever Saturday. Was that because his timing was off on his passing? His receivers were having trouble catching the ball? The O-line wasn't offering enough protection? He wasn't seeing the open receivers? The receivers were running the incorrect routes for the play that had been called? Wofford's D-line was too fast? The right plays weren't being called? Who knows?

Calling football plays has got to be a little bit like those algebra problems that have multiple variables to be solved. The only difference is that in algebra there is one right answer. Would that football were that easy.
Your response is too logical --- :mrgreen:
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:51 am

I disagree that the loss was on Satterfield but I do think this falls on the offense just as much as the defense, although the defense seems to get more of the blame. We definitely struggled to slow down the option again but our defense did score a touchdown and late in the fourth quarter, we had the ball trailing just 31-28. They do need to get better but the fact is, we had a chance to win late against a veteran, high scoring offense.

Like Daphne said, it is a team game and we just came up a few plays short on both sides. Our offense has been better this year but we still have an entirely new staff and they need experience together in tight conference games like this to get better. Growing pains are no fun but this team is not dead yet. Time to take out some frustration on Western.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:59 am

"Calling football plays has got to be a little bit like those algebra problems "It is more like Geometry - angles, and speed reading. Jamal did not do a good job on reads Saturday.
Bring Your A Game!

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:39 am

ASU2012 wrote:Ive been a long time lurker on ASU message boards but I can no longer hold my tongue after yesterdays performance.

What has happened to the SS that we used to know and love? The play calling yesterday (and quite frankly, all year outside of a few games) was absolutely atrocious and dumb. We drive all the way down the field, down 10 points, 6:00 left on the clock, AND WE RUN 3 STRAIGHT PLAYS IN THE RED ZONE. Was SS points shaving? That's all I can think of, nothing makes sense to me. And when did ASU become a team that takes ZERO shots down field. Did we look further than 15 yards one time last night? If so, I cant remember it happening.

I know SS is the coach in waiting, and I know he won us a lot of championships, but this season, we are losing games because of our OC, not winning them like in years past. He looks very similar to Chud down in Charlotte with the Panthers right now, incredibly predictable.

First off, to insinuate that SS may be point shaving because that's "all" you "can think of," immediately throws out any credibility you may have had.

Second, perhaps part of the problem with the lackluster play calling is the personnel. As others have mentioned, our OL is not up to par, which really limits what we can do.

This loss isn't solely on SS, it is on the whole team. Poor execution all around at times will doom a team.

If this is the best you can do after lurking, you should probably continue just lurking.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Appersrule

Unread post by Appersrule » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:34 am

I honestly think the problem and why everyone flys off the deep end when App loses is no one respects any of our opponents or their ability. Everyone is so elitist against the SoCon, they fail to recognize that Wofford is a very good football team.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Here is the way I see it. We are giving SS too much blame just as we have given him too much credit. This year he just does not have the players to do what we need at times. During the championship years we were so loaded that he was given too much credit. He is good but my goodness look what he had to work with. A lesser coach could have done VERY well. As an example we had an outstanding QB and a backup who would have been the starter at any other team in FCS and many in FBS. JJ would have been third string on those teams. That is only one position. You can go down the line position by position and see he just had a completely different set of circumstances. Give him a chance but please don't expect him to repeat a once in a lifetime deal.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:20 pm

Appersrule wrote:I honestly think the problem and why everyone flys off the deep end when App loses is no one respects any of our opponents or their ability. Everyone is so elitist against the SoCon, they fail to recognize that Wofford is a very good football team.

I agree. There is a certain arrogance that App fans carry when playing SoCon teams (Ga Southern being the exception). Folks always tout the facilities and the resources and just assume we should always prevail. It's not a computer game, it involves real players on the field executing. Sometimes you just have to give the opposition some credit.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:11 pm

ASUMountaineer wrote:
ASU2012 wrote:Ive been a long time lurker on ASU message boards but I can no longer hold my tongue after yesterdays performance.

First off, to insinuate that SS may be point shaving because that's "all" you "can think of," immediately throws out any credibility you may have had.

Second, perhaps part of the problem with the lackluster play calling is the personnel. As others have mentioned, our OL is not up to par, which really limits what we can do.

This loss isn't solely on SS, it is on the whole team. Poor execution all around at times will doom a team.

If this is the best you can do after lurking, you should probably continue just lurking.
Too many fans disregard personnel or lack thereof in play calling. Either that or they think they look like geniuses when they disagree with plays that did not work.
a.k.a JC0429

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:30 pm

I totally diagree with the blame being on SS. SS is playing with the hand that he was dealt. There are five QB's on our roster (JJ, Magloire, Bryant, Barnes, and Hallock (sp?). None of which were recruited by SS to run his offense. JJ may very well be ASU's very first NFL QB. He has the size, speed and arm strength to be an NFL QB. If so, that still doesn't change the fact that he may not be a good spread option QB. There were a few references by Brownie, during the game, that SS was in the booth next door clearly upset with JJ's decision making. The playcalling will be vanilla until the playcaller has confidence in the playmaker.

Disclaimer: Before I am labeled a troll for picking on JJ, that is not the case at all. I am merely pointing out that this offense looks like SS's offense at FIU because he did not have his QB.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:09 pm

You are not picking on JJ at all. I believe you give him more credit than I do. I think he is ok but never had even considered him having a chance in the NFL. SS is right on with decision making. JJ just takes to long and makes some bad decisions. With that said the OL does not exactly give him a ton of time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”