Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CALLING ALL TRIANGLE ALUMNI - '16 Viewing Parties

AppDawg
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:53 pm

All Triangle Alumni -

I recently joined the Triangle Alumni Chapter board and we are looking for a location in the Raleigh area to claim as the "APP Bar." We would like to identify a place, like the former Blinco's (centrally located), or like the Charlotte chapter that supports an Alumni owner. We want a place that everyone in the area knows "This is the place to watch App Football."

Last year viewing parties were held at the Fox & Hound at North Hills, I admit I never attended one but know North Hills can be a parking/traffic nightmare. A thought I had was Sammy's Tap & Grill on Avent Ferry Rd, near NC State. They tend to cater to Alumni Associations and have ample room and is centrally located.

With that, please respond to this thread with suggestions of locations. If there is an Alumni Restaurant/Bar owner in the area that would like to host such events, please send me a DM. Kickoff is 45 days away so I am hopeful we can get logistics with our chosen location worked out within the next 2 or 3 weeks.

One last request, if you are not registered in the Gold Book or have moved and haven't updated your information recently please go to the Alumni Association website and register or update your records. This is the only way you will be on official Alumni Association Triangle Chapter e-mail generated from the University. You can also DM me your contact info and I will see to it you are added to our local "unofficial" chapter distribution list, however I will not be able to register or update your records in the Gold Book.

Thank you for your help as we grow the Triangle Chapter!

appyirish

Re: CALLING ALL TRIANGLE ALUMNI - '16 Viewing Parties

Unread post by appyirish » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Kick Back Jacks in Garner maybe an option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:12 pm

I miss Blincos. The Fox and the Hound was a pretty good scene for the bowl game but IIRC they couldn't do ESPN3 so probably not a regular option. Kings was a flop. An Alumni-owned place would be great, but frankly I'm not sure there is one.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:01 pm

I live very close to the old Blinco's site, so I'm biased toward that area. Maybe Rudino's on Edwards Mill or Edwards Mill Bar & Grill? Have never been to Sharky's but that's another sports bar in the area. There are also the various Carolina Ale Houses around town.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:00 pm

I think a good central location is paramount in trying to get as many folks involved as possible. North Hills was good, but you are right about the parking, known to be very difficult, especially on the weekends. Sammy's is an OK idea, but basically on NC State's campus and that might not feel very APP on Saturday's. You guys take a look at the Buffalo Brother's location on Lake Boone Trail as an option. A million TV's, outside patio's, great beer selection all things considered. They even have a "wing" they may be able to put us in that could be all ours. Its not a private room, but a smaller separate part of the establishment. I thought of this because it is literally 30 seconds off the beltline and not congested at all . . . Cary, Garner, Apex, Raleigh, all about 15 min or closer. Good, safe part of town as well. Also, right next to it is "Bottle Revolution" which has 100's of different bottles of beer for any pre or post game action. Plenty of food options either at Buff Bro's or the several restaurants in the complex as well. More than happy to research more if needed.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:04 pm

BTW, this western side of the beltline will also allow quick access for Durham and Chapel Hill residents.

JonW

Unread post by JonW » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:09 pm

Do you know the relation of the alumni in the footprint of the chapter and if there is a geographical skew to one area of the Triangle versus another? I know the new Hickory Tavern at Parkside Town Commons (Hwy 55, Cary) has a large, private room lined with TV's.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:25 pm

AppOrange wrote:I think a good central location is paramount in trying to get as many folks involved as possible. North Hills was good, but you are right about the parking, known to be very difficult, especially on the weekends. Sammy's is an OK idea, but basically on NC State's campus and that might not feel very APP on Saturday's. You guys take a look at the Buffalo Brother's location on Lake Boone Trail as an option. A million TV's, outside patio's, great beer selection all things considered. They even have a "wing" they may be able to put us in that could be all ours. Its not a private room, but a smaller separate part of the establishment. I thought of this because it is literally 30 seconds off the beltline and not congested at all . . . Cary, Garner, Apex, Raleigh, all about 15 min or closer. Good, safe part of town as well. Also, right next to it is "Bottle Revolution" which has 100's of different bottles of beer for any pre or post game action. Plenty of food options either at Buff Bro's or the several restaurants in the complex as well. More than happy to research more if needed.
Thank you, Orange. Buffalo Bros is a good location with easy access. Had not thought of that. Will have to see if they can get ESPN3.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:29 pm

JonW wrote:Do you know the relation of the alumni in the footprint of the chapter and if there is a geographical skew to one area of the Triangle versus another? I know the new Hickory Tavern at Parkside Town Commons (Hwy 55, Cary) has a large, private room lined with TV's.
Great thought. I actually have a question outstanding to the Alumni Association to see if they can provide us with mailing addresses for alumni in the Triangle and/or a distribution map. I would like to take the "Atlanta Braves" approach with their stadium and choose a viewing party location accessible to the largest concentration of Alumni in the area - if there is a concentration.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:05 pm

The Alumni Association website has a listing by county, though you may be looking for something more granular than that.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:38 pm

EastHallApp wrote:The Alumni Association website has a listing by county, though you may be looking for something more granular than that.
I'll check it out. Hadn't seen it by county, just the country. Really a heat map would probably suffice.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:48 pm

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:42 am

I liked Fox and the Hound because it was close to my house but the fact that they didn't have ESPN3 like others have pointed out is clearly a deal breaker. I agree with Sammy's being practically on State's campus. It seems like the sports bars are already "claimed." High Park (the old Profiles)in 5 points would be a great spot but that's ECU central on Saturday. Ale house might be a good one to check out. They have that private room as well.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:48 am

I think the Buffalo Bros on lake Boone is an Alabama football hot spot. . . . but I do know Buffalo Bros will do ESPN3 if enough fans show up and drink enough to make it worth their while . . .
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:04 am

MtnDevil95 wrote:I think the Buffalo Bros on lake Boone is an Alabama football hot spot. . . . but I do know Buffalo Bros will do ESPN3 if enough fans show up and drink enough to make it worth their while . . .
I heard this over the weekend as well. I may still inquire as they have a section of the restaurant, maybe 25% of their seating, that is a bit separate from the rest. Also, ill ask if it is an official spot for Bama, or just a place some go.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:06 am

AppOrange wrote:
MtnDevil95 wrote:I think the Buffalo Bros on lake Boone is an Alabama football hot spot. . . . but I do know Buffalo Bros will do ESPN3 if enough fans show up and drink enough to make it worth their while . . .
I heard this over the weekend as well. I may still inquire as they have a section of the restaurant, maybe 25% of their seating, that is a bit separate from the rest. Also, ill ask if it is an official spot for Bama, or just a place some go.
I have a call into the general manager. I did speak with a manager on duty and it sounds promising, but they need to figure out ESPN3. While they have access it is just on a select few TVs at the bar. She also did mention other than the Panthers fan club, she is not aware of any standing viewing parties they hold... College or NFL.

More to come.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:32 pm

Buffalo Bros. could be appealing for all the reasons AppOrange mentioned. Only bad thing to me is that it would be hard to make myself spend much $ there when there's better food (Guasaca) and drink (Bottle Revolution) to be had just a couple doors down.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:32 pm

EastHallApp wrote:Buffalo Bros. could be appealing for all the reasons AppOrange mentioned. Only bad thing to me is that it would be hard to make myself spend much $ there when there's better food (Guasaca) and drink (Bottle Revolution) to be had just a couple doors down.
Much Agreed!

appyirish

Unread post by appyirish » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:28 pm

I remember a few years ago Moonrunners Saloon in Garner hosted Appalachian State viewing parties. They hosted for a couple of years. They flew the black A flag out front on gamedays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:22 pm

Moonrunners is on the south side so not as central for Wake Forest or RTP types, but I like the idea of a bar willing to jump on board and fly the flag. While I don't have anything against Buffalo Bros, if we're sharing the space with Alabama fans, we'd potentially be second fiddle to another larger louder fan base, and damn it I want better! (although a little birdie told me the owner of Buffalo Bros is less than impressed with the 'Bama organizer dude)
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”