Charlie Cobb

tgibson

Charlie Cobb

Unread post by tgibson » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:40 pm

According the Greg Wallace (Anderson Independent Mail), Charlie was one of 4 final candidates for the Clemson AD position. Even though he didn't get the CU job, how much longer can App reasonably expect to retain him?

asutrnr81

Re: Charlie Cobb

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:45 pm

No long....GA Tech Open TOO!

Go APPS!
Go APPS!

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:26 pm

yep, just a matter of time

AppinATL
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:30 pm

Well, if he comes down here to Tech, I hope his first move is to fire Paul Johnson. Let him go back to an academy or FCS...those are the only place that lousy offense of his has any success any more.

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:30 pm

Is he in this big of a hurry to leave?

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:20 pm

I dont know how badly he wants to leave, only Charlie can answer that, but the last few years he seemes to have applied at alot more schools. I'm not surprised, or even bothered by it, he just trying to improve his career, and support his family. One thing I do wonder about, has his increased desire to leave, have anything to do with us, at this point, unable to move up? I hope he isn't looking for a way out, becouse he thinks the athletic program has "peaked", and he doesn't see us leaving the SC anytime in the near future.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:31 pm

Can't blame Charley for moving forward in his career. A move to a BCS conference would certainly be a step up from App. IMO he has done a steller job and would get strong consideration at GaTech or any other ACC school. It would be a great career move for him especially with his ties to Atlanta.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:27 pm

if Charlie leaves, whoever Peacock hires is going to have a hell of a time filling Cobbs shoes, we could not have asked for a better AD, he will be really missed.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:32 pm

Cobb in a hurry to leave? No, but when an opportunity presents itself you put out feelers to let people know you are interested in moving up. I think he has done an excellent job at APP.
Bring Your A Game!

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:53 pm

Charlie has done good work and the only real way he can get a reasonable jump in salary is to make a move. It's the nature of the job, and if he stays at App 10 more years he starts to look too old (in a relative sense) to be an "up and coming" AD. If I were in a similar situation, I'd do the same thing. It wouldn't mean I was not interested in continuing to do a great job as long as I had my current job, but I'd be testing the water and make a jump if that's what I had to do to double (or more) my salary.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:32 pm

I like Charlie Cobb and I agree that he has done alot for ASU but I will put this out there. He came on board when Armanti Edwards was here (along with other great players). We rode Richie Williams, Armanti, and the others to 3 NC's and a win over UM. That didn't hurt him. Since then we have had problems with players and coaches and the wins have dropped off over the last 4 -5 years. Baseball was good last year but our basketball program is PATHETIC. Especially our home schedule. Plus, no invite to an FBS conference. The AD oversees all sports. Not just football. From the top down, our basketball program is bad. Not being negative, just stating some facts for thought and discussion.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Be careful about being realistic and factual, there are plenty that only see this board as a campfire to sing around.
BLACK SATURDAY

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:07 pm

appfanjj wrote:I like Charlie Cobb and I agree that he has done alot for ASU but I will put this out there. He came on board when Armanti Edwards was here (along with other great players). We rode Richie Williams, Armanti, and the others to 3 NC's and a win over UM. That didn't hurt him. Since then we have had problems with players and coaches and the wins have dropped off over the last 4 -5 years. Baseball was good last year but our basketball program is PATHETIC. Especially our home schedule. Plus, no invite to an FBS conference. The AD oversees all sports. Not just football. From the top down, our basketball program is bad. Not being negative, just stating some facts for thought and discussion.
Here is my opinion:

This year and last are when we have seen some uncharacteristic results on the football field, I'm not sure I would go back 4-5 years. The 3 previous seasons, we had two consecutive 11-win seasons and a 10-win season with a conference championship and a top 5 ranking in the final poll each time. Hard to force the coach to clean house when you just won 10 games and a sixth consecutive SoCon title. 2011 was the first real "down" year with only 8 wins and sweeping changes were made, in which Cobb certainly played a role.

As for baseball, our program was HORRIBLE before Cobb came onboard. Granted, he did not make the Pollard hire but he was very active in making sure that the money generated by football made its way to the baseball program. Without a new stadium and an indoor hitting facility, I really do not think Pollard would have been able to recruit at a level that allowed us to eventually take the next step. ASU baseball has been on a steady incline since Cobb got here. Of course, we will have to wait and see what happens the next few years but I think Billy Jones was an excellent hire. He has NC ties, a ton of experience on the bench in college baseball and is a top-notch recruiter.

I have heard a lot of people blame Cobb for not having an FBS invite but I'm not sure what else he was could have done. We are not in a big media market, which was pretty much the only criteria for an invite in this last round of expansion. The FBS conferences know we want to move up and they know what we have to offer. Neither Cobb or anyone else at Appalachian has got any type of leverage in the situation.

Now ,basketball is another story. Charlie probably should have seen it coming with a nomad like Buzz but he is a good, proven basketball coach and I can understand the gamble. I do think he made a mistake with the Capel hire. I truly hope that it turns around this year but I will have to see it to believe it. Capel has the name recognition but he did not have the resume. Not only was he a first time head coach but he was a 30 year-old with only one season as an assistant coach under his belt. He went for the home run and to this point, it has been a bust. The performance has not nearly matched the talent on the court and our attendance has been miserable. If things do not pick up in year three, it will likely be his last and turn out to be a failed experiment.

All in all, I think Cobb has done an excellent job in his time at ASU. Like every successful person in power, he benefited greatly from the performances of the people he oversees but our facilities have been greatly enhanced and our brand has expanded since he got here.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:41 pm

Excellent post, Mike. I agree with everything you wrote except the part about Capel being shown the door after this year if things don't get turned around. I don't see it happening. Cobb realizes we're a young team this year -- probably too young -- and that we won't be much of a factor. He also knows we have an excellent group coming in next year, perhaps our best in many years. Capel is in the third of a four-year contract. We have a long history of honoring our contracts, Houston Fancher's notwithstanding. I'm confident Capel will be given four years, then at that point, an assessment will be made. In my opinion, it's unproductive to speculate on Capel's departure after Year Three because those wanting him banished will be disappointed.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:56 pm

moehler wrote:I dont know how badly he wants to leave, only Charlie can answer that, but the last few years he seemes to have applied at alot more schools. I'm not surprised, or even bothered by it, he just trying to improve his career, and support his family. One thing I do wonder about, has his increased desire to leave, have anything to do with us, at this point, unable to move up? I hope he isn't looking for a way out, becouse he thinks the athletic program has "peaked", and he doesn't see us leaving the SC anytime in the near future.
It could be the opposite. He may not want to be around when we go through the trials and tribulations of transitioning to the FBS.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:Excellent post, Mike. I agree with everything you wrote except the part about Capel being shown the door after this year if things don't get turned around. I don't see it happening. Cobb realizes we're a young team this year -- probably too young -- and that we won't be much of a factor. He also knows we have an excellent group coming in next year, perhaps our best in many years. Capel is in the third of a four-year contract. We have a long history of honoring our contracts, Houston Fancher's notwithstanding. I'm confident Capel will be given four years, then at that point, an assessment will be made. In my opinion, it's unproductive to speculate on Capel's departure after Year Three because those wanting him banished will be disappointed.
Rep point.
FWIW. If Cobb goes to an ACC school, he is going to have to put a viable performance in hoops on his resume. IMOp
a.k.a JC0429

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 pm

JCline0429 wrote:
moehler wrote:I dont know how badly he wants to leave, only Charlie can answer that, but the last few years he seemes to have applied at alot more schools. I'm not surprised, or even bothered by it, he just trying to improve his career, and support his family. One thing I do wonder about, has his increased desire to leave, have anything to do with us, at this point, unable to move up? I hope he isn't looking for a way out, becouse he thinks the athletic program has "peaked", and he doesn't see us leaving the SC anytime in the near future.
It could be the opposite. He may not want to be around when we go through the trials and tribulations of transitioning to the FBS.

Anything is possible but Charlie has been one of the movers behind the FBS move.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:17 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:Excellent post, Mike. I agree with everything you wrote except the part about Capel being shown the door after this year if things don't get turned around. I don't see it happening. Cobb realizes we're a young team this year -- probably too young -- and that we won't be much of a factor. He also knows we have an excellent group coming in next year, perhaps our best in many years. Capel is in the third of a four-year contract. We have a long history of honoring our contracts, Houston Fancher's notwithstanding. I'm confident Capel will be given four years, then at that point, an assessment will be made. In my opinion, it's unproductive to speculate on Capel's departure after Year Three because those wanting him banished will be disappointed.
That is a very good point. If the 2013 recruiting class holds up and is as strong as expected, that alone could buy him another year. However, with Tab Hamilton and Mike Neal returning after promising freshman seasons, Jonathan Frye coming aboard and all the good things we have heard about Jay Canty, another 13-win stinker like last year could get a lot of people in Cobb's ear. The SoCon is not going to be very strong and although we are lacking up front, I think we have the backcourt rotation to win some more ballgames this season. I am not expecting miracles but I do expect improvement.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:11 am

Cobb has had some good hires in Pendleton, Darcie, Strickland and Bentley and has had some monumental projects such as the softball/baseball/indoor facility move, the athletics center and the facilities in Varsity for golf and wrestling. Also he pulled the trigger on the Chris Moore firing and was instrumental in bringing Satterfield back and giving him his power.

I do think Cobb's days on the mountain are mostly past. He's done some great thing but it might not be the worst thing to get some new blood in there. It's clear that men's basketball isn't his cup of tea and has made some poor decisions regarding it.

I don't blame Charlie for putting his name out there for better-paying jobs. He's using his skills to better himself and his family.

RE: Capel. I do think he has to show results this year. If he doesn't get an extension but is retained for his final year, then 2013-14 becomes a lame duck year and it could damage the program even worse than before.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:08 am

It is time for Charlie to cash in. Look at the resume. The farther the championships and enhancements fall back in history the less valuable they are. At some point they stop looking at what you did say 5-10 years ago and concentrate on "what have you done lately". He can never make here what he can in the ACC or some other BCS conference. Even if we go FBS we will not be able to pay what the ACC does. The guy showed up at the perfect time and continued what had been built in football and then made improvements to other sports. I wish him well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”