Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Catcher's Gear Questions

baseballdad
School: Stony Brook

Catcher's Gear Questions

Unread post by baseballdad » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:29 am

Hi, quick question about the rules regarding my son’s catcher's equipment. I was wondering about the difference between the full, hockey-style mask and the old-school style that goes over the skull cap. I recently purchased the facemask style that goes over the skull cap for my son who has recently picked up catching a big way. I got him this mask but a few of the parents at our workouts have made comments about some regulations or rules I was unaware of. In my nervousness, I just ordered this mask as well that looks a lot safer but I know it doesn't have that cool pro look my son wants. Should I bring both with me just in case? Or does anyone know how this aspect of the game is governed? Anything helps!

appaneer1984
School: Appalachian State

Re: Catcher's Gear Questions

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:10 pm

I was a catcher about 15 years ago and used the old school mask...I don't know anything about the rules or regulations, but both helmets seem to have the flex fit band so that either could comfortably fit over the skull cap. Both also appear to have the same visibility...personally if it were me playing, I'd go for the newer mask design just for the added safety. You'd be amazed where the ball can end up on a wild and errant pitch. Good luck to you and your son!
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:18 pm

Most levels of baseball (including travel) require the full mask with ear protection

ViewCrew87

Unread post by ViewCrew87 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Catcher's Gear: Tools of ignorance. Go full face (Buster Posey). It's the foul tips that catches any/everything.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Easton or under armour full mask, get the best you can afford him, must have him try it on, should be comfortable, easy to quickly get on-off, but not slide around when he shakes his head side to side.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”